Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #31 The Conspiracy  (Read 2824 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #31 The Conspiracy
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
Synopsis
When they say "It's all in your head," believe it....
Jake's great-grandfather has died. So his family has to leave town to pay their respects. For three or four days. Tom, or rather the Yeerk in him, doesn't want to be traveling anywhere away from a Yeerk pool for that long. So Tom has to persuade his father not to make him go. Now Jake has to find a way to protect his father, keep him free, keep him alive. Even if it means getting rid of his brother....

Question
   1. Once  again the invulernable roach morph displays it's worth. What did you think of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a ****roach to be like? What do you think of the "gross-factor" of roaches that was used highly in this book?

2. What do you think of Jake in this book? How were his abilities as a leader compromised due to the extremely personal circumstances he faced? What do you think of his efforts to protect his father, and apparent willingness to stop Tom at any cost?

3. What do you think of the other Animorphs in this book, their understanding of and assistance for Jake's situation? How does this situation contrast against the comparably similar events Macro recently faced?

4. For as long as they can remember, Jake and Marco have been friends. What do you think of their friendship? How has it been affected by the war, and Jakes position as leader? In this book Marco repeatedly takes decisions away from Jake. What do you think Marco's part in Jake's personal conflicts, in this book and other parts of the series?

5. In this book the Animorphs capture Chapman, and instill in his mind that he is to be tortured. What are your thoughts on this event, both the reasons they do it now, and the concept of mentally terrifying a helpless prisoner?

6. What would you have done in Jake's place? Would you have allowed your parent to be killed or enslaved? How would you prevent it? What would you be willing to do to one loved one, in order to protect another?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #32 The Separation

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #31 The Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
   1. Roaches on their own aren't all that bad. When you open a door and a giant one is looking you in the eye, than yeah, I take a deep breath. Seems like they make noise when they move, even when they don't. Interesting in their own right, and while a good morph clearly throughout the series, I'll never believe they are as indestructible as pop culture would have you believe. I've caught roaches, I've seen them die, not that tough. Recently I've also come to doubt the ability to use insects like flies and roaches for hearing. Considering all the specializations to detect sound waves, the inability of other mechanosensory systems to do what the auditory system does: it doesn't seem like they should be able to hear. In a series about animal morphing, alien fighting teenagers, it seems unrealistic.

2. Jake-we're past half way. Jake's hesitated, doubted, regretted, but never just stopped, never lost his calm before the battle even begins. This really is the only time I can think of when he panics. The guy you look to in a fire to be calm and get you out is suddenly panicking. Maybe this was an effort to display some more human side, a weakness, the power of family, something-but the way it's done seems so out of character here and now that it takes away from the book. I found him at fault, his plans-well he didn't have any. He was out of the loop and I did not care for it.

3. The others however did good. They were quick, discreet, organized. Amazing how half the time when Jake is out of it but present, they can run smoothly, but when he's physically absent, they can't get it together.

4. This friendship isn't as confusing to me as Rachel and Cassie, but all things considered I'm surprised they aren't closer to others. Time, I think is a heavy factor-I consider some folks from my childhood that I haven't seen in years closer friends than the ones I went through school with. Since we never really saw them pre-war, can't say how it's changed, but I imagine that it's very similar: I figure Marco was always the one pointing out flaws in plans, and Jake was always him getting to do something. I thought the drama between them, Jake's envy of knowing what Marco would do, was very well played up, and that they endured through this very gripping. Marco did good, and that Jake took so long to accept that, well it throws some problems into relief.

5. I've more of a problem with why they did than what they did. It is a little discomforting to think of teenagers lording threats of torture, but again, they are on the losing side of a war. But that they put him through hell, for best case scenario get Tom away and then take the family into hiding. It worked, but something about it doesn't seem right to me.

6. Very tough. I don't think I would allow a killing. Not even enslaving, for the mentioned security risks. I have to hope I'd think of the injury thing in advance. Maybe just start a fight, like a physical fight, so that everyone would have to stay.  At the extreme, a killing to prevent a killing, I think would be very, very difficult. Not ruling it out, but bottom of the list.

8. This is actually a beautifully written and well done book, as a stand alone. I have 2 problems with it though, one is it's timing and two is Jake (see above). The personal, family based crisis: Marco JUST went through this. Considering Tom is a constant presence this should have happened somewhere else, and that it occurred right here was very damaging to it's relevance.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
This is definitely one of my least favorite books in the series, since it's a blatant idiot plot. No contincency on the Yeerk's part in case someone needs to travel, and no taking the clearest opportunity to save Tom since the failed attempt in book 1. When you have a situation where the Yeerks aren't expecting the Yeerk that controls Tom to get back, and wouldn't be surprised if an involuntary host decided to kill himself, there's no reason not to starve the Yeerk out and fake Tom's death.

I wouldn't feel comfortable if they actually tortured Chapman, but kidnapping him and acting like they were planning to was a good way to distract the Yeerks from Tom.

I've heard that there are some good character development moments, but I don't see myself rereading this book again. It wasn't fun, and it didn't make sense.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »
Why couldn't the Mighty Yeerk Empire arrange to smuggle a portable Kandrona generator out to near the cabin?  (What good is an Evil Empire if it can't supply far away subjects with food?).

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
That's the big fridge logic question. There is no real answer, because it shouldn't be hard. Between portable kandronas, or even just switching Yeerks temporarily, it really shouldn't have been a problem. This should not have been a major plot point. There shoudln't have been a big panic over someone having to be away from the pool for four days.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »
That's the big fridge logic question. There is no real answer, because it shouldn't be hard. Between portable kandronas, or even just switching Yeerks temporarily, it really shouldn't have been a problem. This should not have been a major plot point. There shoudln't have been a big panic over someone having to be away from the pool for four days.

How would switching Yeerks on Tom solve the problem?  The substitute Yeerk would still need to be fed!