Author Topic: Wanna be in a RAFfic? (Enter RAF)  (Read 14280 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Wanna be in a RAFfic? (Enter RAF)
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »
Slight spoiler warning.  You don't need to have read "Enter RAF" in order to participate in this thread, but, if you wish to read that story without knowing in advance how it may end, then I would advise you to go read it first.  If spoilers don't bother you, or if you've already read it (and you want to be featured in a RAFfic!) then read on.  Or, if you wish to skip straight to the most relevant part of the story, you can do that, too.

[spoiler]Basically, the five questions I want to pose to all of you are these.

If you could envision a 'champion of RAF,' a defender/guardian of the forum, who by-the-way is not a pre-existing or former RAFian (no, not even Richard), what would this entity be like?  In very basic terms, what would he/she/it/they look like, or what traits would they possess?  What is their name?  Where did they come from?  Why would they be on our side?

Note that I only need bare-bones outlines, just the basic concepts.  I am not looking for fully-fleshed-out descriptions.  Those will come later, after we've voted on a core concept.

Step one is to brainstorm ideas.  Step two will be to vote on a concept (or possibly multiple concepts, since you will be allowed to vote separately on traits/appearance/backstory/motivation/name).  And step three will be to create fleshed-out versions of the winning concept.

In the meantime, a couple ground rules.  First, I'm not looking for anything too similar to an existing RAFian.  I'm looking for something that is (at least approximately) equally representative of every RAFian.

Second, try not to get attached to any one idea.  Hopefully, whatever concept ends up winning, it will have enough 'wiggle room' to be able to be personalized how you like.  After we vote on a concept, I will ask for everyone to flesh out their own detailed interpretation of said concept (whether by description or by drawing or however you feel like doing so), and the more interpretations we get, the better.  This phase will be the part that guarantees you a role in the fic if you participate.

P.S. I have a few chapters I can continue to write while all this is going on, but after that, I'm going to take a hiatus from writing for however long this process takes.  I want to get plenty of ideas to vote on, and then get as many interpretations as possible.  So if you like my story, and want me to get back to writing it quickly?  Bug your friends to post here, and tell them to bug their friends.  The more the merrier.  :)

It is the anti pootang. It is...a rock type pokemon.

A combination of every RAFian persona, roleplay character, fanfiction hero, and on and on.

All the strengths. None of the weaknesses. Only an overwhelming desire to protect RAF and all its inhabitants.

When thinking of a "Champion of RAF", I envision a D&D Paladin with the signature "RAF" (the logo consisting of our usernames making the letters) on his breastplate. His armor the brightest sheen, glowing bright with power. He handles a great sword that has the "R" Symbol on its hilt.

The nature of RAF is one where many species exist so it makes sense to have a look at the "What is your species?" poll-topic. (Link to Latest update)

[1]
From the poll humans mostly make up the species list. Even a large majority of the non-human RAFians are humanoid in appearance such as Hork Bajir, SPARTAN-II, Time Lords, Vampires, Genies, Angels etc. The next largest group are Andalites then Yeerks (and controllers).

If people are interested in a hybrid of some sort perhaps this entity could take on common traits such as having a [insert descriptions] tail. At first glance, the appeal of Andalites is their gracefully cautious physical appearance so this might factor in somewhere in the appearance and/or personality.

[2]
Depending on how powerful you want this entity you can incorporate special abilities like Andalite thought-speak/telepathy. Abilities could be pretty extensive or overpowered so I'm not going into it.

If by traits you mean personality rather than abilities then apparently insanity! The vast volume of RAF posts reside in the Bored Board with Totally Random Thoughts, Last Person to Post and Continue Game. The last 2 topics representing a persistence to outlast and continue against adversity. Totally Random Thoughts obviously being a testament to the unique and unpredictable sharing of ideas and thoughts. From these most popular topics it would seem that we have an unpredictable and never-surrendering personality for our entity.

[3]
Actually this one I'm not sure about. I'd normally quite enjoy playing around with words, meanings and letters to create links but the name itself could be topic on it's own. Perhaps, this should be decided after the entity is better described?

[4]
Our thoughts! ^^ If we use the most popular topics and species to decide how it looks and it's personality then it must come from somewhere in RAF. A noble yet unknown fanfic? Maybe even from a different time. (They/it were/was always there influencing us!) As per RAFian insanity, it wouldn't be too surprising nor would it be unprecedented that a RAFian offspring made itself known...

[5]
We're the protagonists! :P Protecting friends/family? Self preservation (if from future)? Insanity? If the motivation is up for debate then you could rework all previous answers to the questions. Such as a penitent antagonist? Then they might not need to even be something RAFians look up to.

[5+1] Role afterwards?
Carrying on from the end of [5] they might not necessarily survive/stay active to stick around...

An Andalite with joint blades and fangs all clad in armor that could become insubstantial? That'd be sickness.

Quote from: Bear
Chuck Norris

Hmm...well, I think it should primarily be human, yes.  Because, even though our RAFsonas can be anything under the sun, it's this human emotion called friendship that binds us together.  :P

Quote from: Rad
A mix of KA Applegate and Chuck Norris with flame and acid resistant skin and a digestive system meant to handle a highly acidic diet.

A generalized 'humanoid' champion, allowing for enough variation to include several different human (or even Andalite-ish) versions.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:54:18 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: Wanna be in a RAFfic? (Enter RAF)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
I know I started reading it a while back, but I can't remember much. I'm really behind on RAFian fanfics.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »
A combination of every RAFian persona, roleplay character, fanfiction hero, and on and on.

All the strengths. None of the weaknesses. Only an overwhelming desire to protect RAF and all its inhabitants.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Wanna be in a RAFfic? (Enter RAF)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
I would love to be in the story! I've been reading the other one, but may have to re-read it to refresh my memory on things.

I'll consider the questions and answer them later.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
I should note that you guys can take some time, because I'm going to have to take a hiatus anyway to go on my RAFtrip.  So, that's at least two weeks, right there.  And I know I've written a lot very fast, so I can't really say I blame anybody for not being caught up, lol.

When you say something to similar to existing RAFians, does that count if they left this site?

Yeah, sorry, that still counts.  For one thing, because you never know when somebody is going to come back to RAF.  And for another thing, the point was not to make the champion central to any one member, and a lot of older members still remember members who aren't here anymore.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 04:51:54 AM »
When thinking of a "Champion of RAF", I envision a D&D Paladin with the signature "RAF" (the logo consisting of our usernames making the letters) on his breastplate. His armor the brightest sheen, glowing bright with power. He handles a great sword that has the "R" Symbol on its hilt.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
More ideas (to get this moving)! Not sure it should be spoiler tagged but I've added numbering to indicate the questions.

[spoiler]Basically, the five questions I want to pose to all of you are these.

If you could envision a 'champion of RAF,' a defender/guardian of the forum, who by-the-way is not a pre-existing RAFian (no, not even Richard), what would this entity be like?  In very basic terms, what would he/she/it/they look like[1], or what traits would they possess[2]?  What is their name[3]?  Where did they come from[4]?  Why would they be on our side[5]?
[/spoiler]

The nature of RAF is one where many species exist so it makes sense to have a look at the "What is your species?" poll-topic. (Link to Latest update)

[1]
From the poll humans mostly make up the species list. Even a large majority of the non-human RAFians are humanoid in appearance such as Hork Bajir, SPARTAN-II, Time Lords, Vampires, Genies, Angels etc. The next largest group are Andalites then Yeerks (and controllers).

If people are interested in a hybrid of some sort perhaps this entity could take on common traits such as having a [insert descriptions] tail. At first glance, the appeal of Andalites is their gracefully cautious physical appearance so this might factor in somewhere in the appearance and/or personality.

[2]
Depending on how powerful you want this entity you can incorporate special abilities like Andalite thought-speak/telepathy. Abilities could be pretty extensive or overpowered so I'm not going into it.

If by traits you mean personality rather than abilities then apparently insanity! The vast volume of RAF posts reside in the Bored Board with Totally Random Thoughts, Last Person to Post and Continue Game. The last 2 topics representing a persistence to outlast and continue against adversity. Totally Random Thoughts obviously being a testament to the unique and unpredictable sharing of ideas and thoughts. From these most popular topics it would seem that we have an unpredictable and never-surrendering personality for our entity.

[3]
Actually this one I'm not sure about. I'd normally quite enjoy playing around with words, meanings and letters to create links but the name itself could be topic on it's own. Perhaps, this should be decided after the entity is better described?

[4]
Our thoughts! ^^ If we use the most popular topics and species to decide how it looks and it's personality then it must come from somewhere in RAF. A noble yet unknown fanfic? Maybe even from a different time. (They/it were/was always there influencing us!) As per RAFian insanity, it wouldn't be too surprising nor would it be unprecedented that a RAFian offspring made itself known...

[5]
We're the protagonists! :P Protecting friends/family? Self preservation (if from future)? Insanity? If the motivation is up for debate then you could rework all previous answers to the questions. Such as a penitent antagonist? Then they might not need to even be something RAFians look up to.

[5+1] Role afterwards?
Carrying on from the end of [5] they might not necessarily survive/stay active to stick around...
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Aquilai deserves a cookie... That was great
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
An Andalite with joint blades and fangs all clad in armor that could become insubstantial? That'd be sickness.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
Awesome ideas, everyone!  OMG this is going to be even more epic than I could even imagine.

I have updated the first post to include the ideas that everyone has put forth so far, for easier reference, as quotes inside the spoiler tag.

One thing that I think I forgot to mention, is that, when it comes time to vote, I was thinking that we'd allow people to vote separately on different categories.  So, if you like one idea for the appearance, but a different idea for the backstory or motivation or name, then we'd just combine those aspects.  Just something to keep in mind.  I should probably add that to the first post, too.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
When did Bear say Chuck Norris? That is funny as hell!

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »
I think that, if it's a blending of ideas from everyone, it should be kind of like Pootang himself.  The Pootang in this story if a thousand different forms all mashed together horrifically because of everyone's different interpretations, a construct.  This should be a similar construct, except combined more elegantly because everyone in-story is collaborating on it.  Everyone's ideas, which are already diverse, as you can see, combine and make something exceptionally strong.

They wouldn't express traits of any one thing, but rather of...everything.  If that makes any sense.  Sort of if you're looking at a photo mashup of two people, when you suddenly notice one person's eyes, the other's nose, the first's hair, so on and so forth.  Little traits leap out at you all of a sudden.  That's what I think the champion should do.

I don't think it would have a name.  A nameless champion would certainly be ethereal.  :P 

And it would come from that blending of all our ideas.  We would all think of these things, and it would form a construct...somewhe re.  :P

And they would be on our side, because, while almost every version of Pootang is seen as vicious and bloodthirsty, I think ti's safe to say that pretty much everyone would agree on something that's benevolent and made to fight Pootang.
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
When did Bear say Chuck Norris? That is funny as hell!

On Skype.  I think he may have been kidding, but it was too awesome not to put on the list anyhow.

I think that, if it's a blending of ideas from everyone, it should be kind of like Pootang himself.  The Pootang in this story if a thousand different forms all mashed together horrifically because of everyone's different interpretations, a construct.  This should be a similar construct, except combined more elegantly because everyone in-story is collaborating on it.  Everyone's ideas, which are already diverse, as you can see, combine and make something exceptionally strong.

They wouldn't express traits of any one thing, but rather of...everything.  If that makes any sense.  Sort of if you're looking at a photo mashup of two people, when you suddenly notice one person's eyes, the other's nose, the first's hair, so on and so forth.  Little traits leap out at you all of a sudden.  That's what I think the champion should do.

I don't think it would have a name.  A nameless champion would certainly be ethereal.  :P 

And it would come from that blending of all our ideas.  We would all think of these things, and it would form a construct...somewhe re.  :P

And they would be on our side, because, while almost every version of Pootang is seen as vicious and bloodthirsty, I think ti's safe to say that pretty much everyone would agree on something that's benevolent and made to fight Pootang.

Sorry, I think I must have done a poor job of explaining just where I'm going with this.  Because, well, you've basically stated precisely what I'm ultimately planning to do, regardless of which idea wins.  Or perhaps, great minds think alike?  ;)

Basically, even with this sort of blending of different ideas, there should be some common theme binding it all together, and that's the thing I'm looking for.  Think of this concept (that we're discussing right now), as to the champion, what 'Pikachu' is to Pootang, or 'scary alien monster' was to Visser Three's multi-morph.  Just some vague theme, upon which we can later create all those variations.  No fair jumping straight to the next step, lol.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:34:18 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
There should be a few layers of Richard himself. As he is the Father of RAF, some would come to see him as its protector.

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
Hmm...well, I think it should primarily be human, yes.  Because, even though our RAFsonas can be anything under the sun, it's this human emotion called friendship that binds us together.  :P
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
I do like the idea of a D&D paladin sworn to protect RAF.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
Right? An Andalite in Full Plate armor brandishing a great sword. Using both his sword and tail to strike down his foes!

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
He would also be naturally proficient with the long sword.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Okay, well, as you may have noticed, this RAFfic has been on hiatus for entirely too long.  And I do aim to fix that soon (hopefully).  For the moment, though, I think it's at least nearing the time to proceed to voting on the Champion's form.  Be sure and glance at the first post, because I've added a few new options as others have suggested them.

So, then, this is the last call for new ideas, before we vote!  If nobody speaks up within the next couple of days, I think, we will move on to the next step.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
*blows dust off thread*

Contrary to all apparent evidence, I do fully intend to finish this fic someday.  SOMEDAY SOON PARHAPS?  :D

So, anyway, it's probably just about time to open up the voting!  If you're the observant sort, you may have noticed that (months ago, back when my muse was still actively communicating with me) I added an option to the list of ideas in the original post, for a generalized 'humanoid' Champion that would allow for several different variations.  Which was because I noticed that almost all the ideas that had been submitted had a 'human-ish' bent to them.  Even the Andalite one could be quite feasibly blended into a generally humanoid-ish Champion without being too divergent.  So, that option could allow pretty much every other idea to be used in the story.  Of course I'd still allow anybody who wished to expand on their ideas, as described in the original post, in order to contribute something meaningful to the fic.

But I still don't want to cheat anybody out of a (much-too-long-awaited) vote, so, hopefully without skewing anybody's opinions too much with the above comment, let the votes commence!

P.S. Don't worry too much about deadlines for the moment, since I still have a few chapters that I intend to write before the Champion actually appears.  I never know how long my muse is going to stay with me, or how much inspiration she'll give, so we'll just have to see how long those chapters actually take me to write.  :P

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
Are you finalised on a decision? Coz I still have a few bits of my own to put forward..

Yeah, the humanoid idea sounds great. Maybe even make him, er, her, er, it, a shape-shifter of sorts...   :P
OH! OH! That gives me another idea!
If we could use the RAFchampion to combine the powers of the most powerful RAFians somehow...? I'll leave you to decide how, since this is, after all, your RAFfic. But the basic point that lead me on that track is united we stand, divided we, well, make Pootang feel like he's swatting flies.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
Nope, nothing is finalized at all.  In point of fact, I was just beginning to think of altering my original plan, since nobody seems to be voting.  :P  I kinda hate to just be like, "Hey guys I have an idea and I know I told you guys you'd get to vote but we're using my idea instead kthanxbai."  But if nobody ever posts their votes, or even voices any dissent against that plan, then I may just end up doing that anyhow.

And, yeah, I probably am going to end up incorporating the powers of powerful RAFians, since "a combination of all possible RAFians" is an idea that has been put forth by a number of people already (not to mention because it's a good idea anyhow, lol).  As for shape-shifting, well, we've got a lot of folks with morphing powers on RAF, so in all likelihood, at least some aspects of the Champion will be able to do so.

While this may be 'my' RAFfic, it was always my intention that this part of it would not be mine alone.  So, if you happen to come up with any more specific ideas about how you think a combination of RAFians' powers would work, please feel free to elaborate as much as you'd like.  :)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
Err, sorry for being a noob but where do I vote?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
Gah, sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post until just now.  :-X

Anyway, just post your vote, or PM me if you'd rather it be kept private.  I wanted to do it that way instead of creating a poll, so that way people can vote for more than one option, say, if they like certain details of one idea and other details of a different one.

Although, now that I think of it . . . maybe that's why nobody is voting.  Perhaps I made it all too complicated.  :P