Author Topic: IRC Server  (Read 2531 times)

Offline TobiasBruce

• The Truth is out There
IRC Server
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
Hello,

I have an irc server made for writers and Youtubers. And I remember this site from a long time ago. I thought perhaps you guys could use a live chat room for members to talk on, as well as posting and whatnot. Maybe it's just me, but when I ran my forums they always had chats on it.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion. It would be free for you guys, of course. And the owner of this site would be co owner of the server.
I'm currently writing a book and put this server together for other aspiring writers and Youtubers.

Give it some thought, I figured I would mention it.

P.S I know you have a type of chatroom at the bottom of the page..but IRC is better than that, and easier to use and takes up less resources. It's also easier to manage, and there are no limits to how many people can join at a time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:24:51 PM by TobiasBruce »
You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair—the sense that you can never completely put on the page what’s in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but light.

Offline TobiasBruce

• The Truth is out There
Re: IRC Server
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Not sure what the rules are on Bumping here. But this is rather important. And I need an answer asap.
You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair—the sense that you can never completely put on the page what’s in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but light.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
Perhaps we are jumping the gun on this one, but considering how tech-savvy our staff have shown themselves to be in the past, it seems implied to us that if an IRC chat was wanted by our site owner, we would have one already.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline TobiasBruce

• The Truth is out There
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
Richard may be tech-savvy, but that doesn't imply what you say.
Currently, you have a chat system up now, that, in my honest opinion, is fairly crude and insufficient. Mind you, it does let users chat. But it only lets a limited amount in one room at a time.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
For what it's worth, our chat system seems pretty sufficient for what RAF needs/actually uses. The limit of people that can be in one room doesn't really come up as an issue, as far as I know. Someone who's spent more time in chat/been around longer correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's been my experience.

Offline TobiasBruce

• The Truth is out There
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
Well, I wasn't around when a chat room actually worked. I remember the old one failing pretty badly, to the point that Richard broke it, trying to fix it.
Like I said though, it was just a thought.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
The RAF Chat works fine.

Offline TobiasBruce

• The Truth is out There
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
Fine, may be an overstatement. Sufficient works better in this case. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:46:34 PM by TobiasBruce »

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »
:shrug:
RAF chat works fine for me, though i mainly stick with skyping.

Offline tigri

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
There are a few advantages to an IRC server. Since IRC is a standard protocol, it is more accessible than the current RAF chat solution. There are several IRC clients for several devices (mobile and non-mobile), so anyone can chat on any device as long as he/she has an internet connection.

The question is whether people here are even interested in live chat. The forum is well used and the chat seems always empty. Is it because people don't care about chat, or because the RAF chat requires a separate login and having to access it through the browser. And RAF chat cannot be accessed by standard chat applications like mIRC, trillian and adium.

The RAF chat as an application is as good as any other chat solution. If it has a problem, then it would be an accessibility problem.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
It's because most people don't care about RAFchat. We primarily talk on skype now. Chat has it's glitches, but it's good enough for what we use it for.

The admins already said it's not necessary, so just let it drop.

Lock, please?