Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #27 The Exposed  (Read 3909 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #27 The Exposed
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
Synopsis
They thought they'd seen it all. They were wrong....
The Chee are having problems. Their holograms are failing, and they're unable to move. It's only a matter of time before someone finds them out. To help them the Animorphs have to reach an ancient Pemalite ship, deep in Earth's ocean, before the Yeerks can find it. Only problem is the Animorphs have no way to get down there. Until a deep sea diving whale suddenly gets beached nearby, and it becomes clear some...thing, is setting them up.  There's no way to know if this is really a helping hand, or some new threat, but the Animorphs have to play along. Because if the Yeerks are first to reach the Pemalite ship, the technology they gain could make them invincible.....

Questions
   1. He'll only show up a few more times, but here we meet the Drode. What are your thoughts on him and his place in the series? What do you think about his relation to Crayak, and his interest in Rachel?

2. This is one of the better looks we get at the Pemalites. What did you think about this species; its' technology, security, and their  playful, peaceful culture permeating the whole of what they do?

3. For the last few and next several books, the Chee will have some of their most prominent roles in the series. What are your thoughts of the androids place in this stretch of the series? In this book the Animorphs are working to aid the Chee, rather than the other way around; what did you think of the androids dilemma in this book?  How important was it to save the Chee and prevent the Yeerks from gaining their technology, from both tactical and personal stand points?

4. The creature used to explore the ocean depths has nearly has much legend surrounding it as fact: the giant squid. What did you think of this animal in this book? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a giant squid to be like? Cephalopods are regarded as among the most intelligent of any animal- how well was that trait displayed in this book? Why?

5. What do you think of Rachel's character in this book? Once again she is the first to put herself, and through that Tobias, into a dangerous circumstance she admits frightens her- what does this say about her? How do her reactions to the unseen manipulations of the Drode and Jake's leadership contrast to her comments at the end of her last narration "the thrill I'd gotten from battle against impossible odds . . . well, I guess maybe I just grew up a little." In what ways is Rachel still developing or regressing as a person?

6. About halfway through this book, it because apparent the Animorphs are being manipulated. How would you respond to such a circumstance? Given the extraordinary things that happen to the Animorphs, what do you think of following or resisting an unrealized, but potent force? Have you ever felt you were being manipulated in your own life? What then do you do?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: Alternamorphs #1 The First Journey

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #27 The Exposed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
Dropping back in, I know I drifted away for a while, eh. Lines that stood out:

Someday the six of us could write a serious update of zoology textbooks.
If we lived that long. <- I'd love to see the fic of Marco and Cassie doing this.

The Pemalite ship was shaped like a sort of clownish version of one of them. <- Jake describes the Andalite fighter as looking like Andalites in book 1 as well.

Jake drew back his long squid arm, and using just the tip, daintily punched the number six. <- I love the "6" idea but how on/off Earth do Pemalikes know Arabic numerals?

That big lump on the beach falls just over the line into sentience. <- really? making a point here?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
   1. Oh I like the Drode, so sad he has all of 4 appearances (seriously, go count em, 4 books). Drode is one of the few characters I've ever envisioned a back story to, basically Crayak keeping him cause he's a ***. Always did find his interest in Rachel more interesting than Crayak's himself. At her darkest, Rachel and the Drode value the same thing, the act of destroying, rather than destruction after the fact (which is why in my eyes the Drode is such and odd match for Crayak. But he's still a tool, so world views can be overlooked I guess.)
   2. Is it odd to fine a hyper-advanced civilization pitiable? I'm slightly surprised they made it as far as they did without being destroyed by someone or another. Playing is fine but you have to have some defenses. The tech does seem very impressive, computer trees and adaptable to any life form-very cool.
   3. I consider this the Chee arc, granted this and 26 the only ones where the Chee are central to the plot. And as always, I wish we'd seem more with them. I don't know computers, I do not understand for the life of me why they are on a central hub, being, I suppose intelligent is the best word for it, but it is odd to think of them as vulnerable. If it weren't for the Yeerks, I don't think this would be that big a deal. People either wouldn't recognize it or be able to do anything with it, or once it's fixed, it could probably escape most human containment. Yeerks of course would probably be able to do more, and glean a good bit of technical advancement off of them. That's bad. Think the Chee would be resentful at being programmed for violence. That, and since they're the only allies the Animorphs have, well it's nice touch to see them receive a bit of help for a change.
   4. Squid squid squid squid squid. Just putting it out there, I doubt the intelligence was played up because it lacks a skull. Cranial prejudice. I've only just stopped to consider, no internal skeleton, no external skeleton, something that size's gotta be odd to move from the human sensibility. Anything that size I figure hunger's gonna have it's place, but seeing as it's this giant of the sea, some exploratory persona is to be expected. At least that's what'd I do with it. 10 arm,s giant eyes and a beak. Really hard to imagine, but very much one I'd like to try out.
   5. This was a disappointment. Considering everything that happened in 22, she seems incredibly petulant grousing about Jake, and using Tobias. Absolutely zero positive growth, now she's starting to regress. I sympathize to how she felt about being manipulated, but considering that she knows her faults she was much too fast to rally against it. No caution against the unseen=bad.
   6. So I constantly feel like I'm being toyed with by....everything. Trying to avoid it just makes me feel like I'm falling into it's trap, and I know that's nonsensical babble, but there it is. But I think it's different for the Animorphs. When so much of your life revolves around all this stuff that you can't know, that's influenced from beyond your reach, I think I'd be much more inquisitive about rooting it out. Still be less than grateful, but knowing these entities are toying with you is better than guessing. Long and short of it is, either way I'm going along with it, hating in, and hoping for the way to stop playing the pawn.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
Dropping back in, I know I drifted away for a while, eh. Lines that stood out:

Someday the six of us could write a serious update of zoology textbooks.
If we lived that long. <- I'd love to see the fic of Marco and Cassie doing this.

The Pemalite ship was shaped like a sort of clownish version of one of them. <- Jake describes the Andalite fighter as looking like Andalites in book 1 as well.

Jake drew back his long squid arm, and using just the tip, daintily punched the number six. <- I love the "6" idea but how on/off Earth do Pemalikes know Arabic numerals?

The Chee would have learned Arabic numeral during their long stay on Earth, and must have programmed them into their computer.