Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #26 The Attack  (Read 4946 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #26 The Attack
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
Synopsis
Change is necessary....
The Animorphs have encountered a number of strange aliens, but perhaps none as strange as the incredibly powerful Ellimist. But for all the powers the Ellimists possess, they, or it, have an enemy: Crayak. Crayak who commands the Howlers, which have for thousands of years have destroyed entire worlds. Now the Ellimist and Crayak seek to pit the Animorphs against a band Howlers, to decided the fate of another world. If the Animorphs fall to the undefeated Howlers, Earth will be left to the Yeerks, and countless worlds will feel the might of the Howlers. But if they can win they will unlock a new realm of possibility for the entire galaxy....

Questions
   1. We finally see Crayak from the first time since book 6. What do you think of him now, his opposition to the Ellimist, his general plans for destroying life, and after this book, his interest and interaction with the Animorphs?

2. What did you think of the Iskoort race, the Ellimist's desire to save them, Crayak's want to destroy them, and the Animorphs place in this fight? Their prophesied influence on the Yeerks wouldn't occur for centuries-how do you think that encounter will play out considering the results of the war on Earth?

3. What do you think about Crayak's Children: the Howlers? How effective was he in designing his killing machines in physical, and psychological ability? What did you think of Jake's perception of the morph? They've eliminated entire races, under the impression they are playing a game-what do you think of that concept and its comparisons to real world animal killing behaviors?

4. It's never stated in canon, and many ideas abound in fandom, but what is your reason he never used the Howler morph again?

5. What did you think of Erek being an integral part of this mission? How useful was he? Does his withholding the knowledge that the Howler's had a child-like mentality surprise you?

6. At long last, Jake and Cassie physically and publicly express their feelings of love. What do you think about this scene and in general the portrayal of romance in Animorphs? What do you think about love being the ruin of the most vicious fighters in the galaxy?

7. Up till now Jake has been the leader of a small band of fighters protecting the Earth. In this book however he and his team are charged with the safety of another race, with possibly great future implications for multiple species, and he personally becomes an antagonist of one of the most malevolent forces in the galaxy. What do you think of Jakes development as leader and a character up to and in this book? How is it he manages to do all he does, and how do you evaluate the way he handles the major and minor complications faced in this story?

8. Would you have been willing to except a fight to the death against an elite killing group like the Howlers? To protect another world?  Would knowing the relation between Yeerk and Iskoort have tempted you to give up that particular battle?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #26 The Attack
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
   1. We finally see Crayak from the first time since book 6. What do you think of him now, his opposition to the Ellimist, his general plans for destroying life, and after this book, his interest and interaction with the Animorphs?

I thought of him as an intergalactic satan

2. What did you think of the Iskoort race, the Ellimist's desire to save them, Crayak's want to destroy them, and the Animorphs place in this fight? Their prophesied influence on the Yeerks wouldn't occur for centuries-how do you think that encounter will play out considering the results of the war on Earth?

If the yeerks encounter them the war would end

3. What do you think about Crayak's Children: the Howlers? How effective was he in designing his killing machines in physical, and psychological ability? What did you think of Jake's perception of the morph? They've eliminated entire races, under the impression they are playing a game-what do you think of that concept and its comparisons to real world animal killing behaviors?

I thought the Howlers were pretty bad-ass. If they enjoyed killing they will do it often. He should've used it more often if it was like that. I think it is unrealistic

4. It's never stated in canon, and many ideas abound in fandom, but what is your reason he never used the Howler morph again?

I just thought Crayak took it away from him

5. What did you think of Erek being an integral part of this mission? How useful was he? Does his withholding the knowledge that the Howler's had a child-like mentality surprise you? Reminded me of Yu-Yu Hakosho i dont know how
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
Late, but going back to a few of these...

There's a random digression about wasps early on. Learning from Cassie?

"And if the Yeerks had any sense of humor at all they wouldn't be the scourge they are," the Ellimist added. <- What's this supposed to mean?

Someday, maybe far in the future, Iskoort would meet Yeerk. And the Yeerks would see that there was another way. <- not really, since the Animorphs wrap things up themselves...

The rules of engagement prevent the Howlers from killing Iskoort. Why not acquire Iskoort and try to blend in?

Offline modinb

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
Question: How does Jake know that Tobias is Elfangor's son in this book?

"Elfangor, who was Tobias's true father, and the one who had given us our
powers." (p. 15 of the e-book pdf)

Tobias found out in Book 23, but then there is nothing about him telling the others in books 24 or 25. It may be assumed that he told them and that that moment wasn't documented in any of the books, but it seems like a pretty significant moment to skate over so casually. Or did I miss something?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »
"And if the Yeerks had any sense of humor at all they wouldn't be the scourge they are," the Ellimist added. <- What's this supposed to mean?
I took it to mean that the Ellimist thinks laughter=kindness. Clearly not big on gallows humor, or irony.
The rules of engagement prevent the Howlers from killing Iskoort. Why not acquire Iskoort and try to blend in?
That'd be fine for spying, but unless they get some weapons, no Iskoort is gonna kill a howler. And I can't help but think if they did figure out it was a morph, that rule won't apply
Question: How does Jake know that Tobias is Elfangor's son in this book?
Everything you said is right, and this on of those things never mentioned in series. But then, I don't see the revelation of that fact by Tobias to the others as a big deal: not a lot more than wows and oh's you can put in there.

1. It's always something in my mind to see the bad guy not cutting loose. I'm sure he tweaks the rules, same as the Ellimist, but that he does contain himself so well, it makes me doubt his evil, yet respect him all the more. I'll all for subjugating all life, but why he wants to weed it down to one race seems odd: more species more ways to be served right? I find him a little faulty with the Animorphs, he only ever speaks directly to Rachel again, doesn't seem to do much. But then, the Ellimist pretty much falls off at this point too in terms of the present conflict on Earth. Big galaxy.
   2. I think everyone put too much stock in the Iskoort Yeerk thing, seeing how the story ends. I picture in 300 years most Yeerks will have integrated with other species without Iskoort help. As a species they were highly annoying, just shy of likable.
   3. Now these were impressive. Are you sadistic if you don't know you're causing pain? Physically capable, but the sound thing was interesting, wonder how a species of deaf creatures would respond.  Everytime I read this, it reminds me of human biases, dolphins play, sharks kill, cats hunt, robins eat.  I figure most animals take some thrill in the process of getting food, but being indifferent to the foods perceptions, you can't call it cruel. So should it be with the Howlers, but of course, if they're after you, or things you know, or think, feel it's suddenly evil. Idk, unfair obviously, but that's just life. Isn't it?
   4. Moral hang-ups and control issues. I see no reason for Ellimist or Crayak to take it away, less it got wiped with all the real Howlers
   5. Very useful. Not like they couldn't have brought him along on some other mission, but glad to see him have a serious part. I find Erek the character much more interesting than the Chee in general, so yeah, good to see more of him. I am surprised he said nothing about the Howlers true minds. I figure he of all things would sympathize with only doing what you're designed to do. Plus he's fairly straightforward as androids go.
   6. Aww, luw. This was the only real romantic moment in my mind for the whole series. Slightly sappy, but nothing fatal. I feel I should have more to say on the matter, but I don't. Love ruining the Howlers still makes me laugh, slightly pathetic though, you should be able to overcome that.
   7. The reason I really like this book is it sets up the Animorphs as galactic, maybe universal heroes: more than just Earth and the present. It's a very much larger-than-life type of moment. And Jake is doing a bang up job. I still believe he gets off a lot on luck a good many times. But lots of people can't keep a head under pressure, and he's doing well. I say very coldly that he needs to handle the potential prospects of others dying better, but in all it's good. I do know, in his place my insides would be riddled with ulcers. I need to be able to get a way from the stress every few weeks. He never does, so well done Jake.
   8. Nope. This is dumb. Agreeing to fight the Yeerks is dumb, but there's very little to gain by not. Agreeing to risk that and everything else to help a far off world against an ancient evil that wants you dead? No. Really, the only thing that would tempt me to go is the Yeerk-Iskoort relation, which is why I think the Ellimist should have told them at the start what they were fighting for. But again, that's just me.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
The Howlers were ruined by their memories of Jake kissing Cassie.  Why can't the Crayak (who had created the Howlers as ultimate killers, and prevents them from gaining bad memories by killing any Howler who loses) just wipe out the Howlers and start them over again?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »
It's not that easy. These creatures can't just speak some fully formed creature into existence, and any time one uses too much power, the other is going to do something too. The rules of the game are vague, and there's a lot of compromise going on, because Ellemist and crayak can't kill each other.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
It's not that easy. These creatures can't just speak some fully formed creature into existence, and any time one uses too much power, the other is going to do something too. The rules of the game are vague, and there's a lot of compromise going on, because Ellemist and crayak can't kill each other.

I am imagining the Crayak using Star Wars style cloning vats and stored Howler DNA to whip up a new batch.