Author Topic: Modtropolis (Episode Two): The Nest  (Read 2424 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Modtropolis (Episode Two): The Nest
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
     The Nest: A week or so has passed since Jess, Becca Seely, and James Mason Park and his cousins escaped the clutches of Christopher Leeds in the cave beneath Redford Vale Secondary School. Thinking they would take the time to readjust to life, a man goes missing; what the group believes to be by supernatural means. Can the group find the peace they sought out since the beginning of the previous attacks? Will the man be found, or is the group too late? And what will they make of the riddles given to them by the eccentric Estelore Mahoney?                                                                         

I

Appearing: Tyler as Tyler Allen
                  : Terenia [Teach] as Jessi Anderson
                  : Myitt as Maia Flint
                  : KitCloudKicker as Jess Shalner
                  : Frank as Frank Reeve
                  : Esplin 9466 as Captain Russell Teague
                  : Broken as Cody Duchamp
                  : Estelore as Estelore Lane

Tyler fancied himself a ladies man. And this was obvious when he walked out of the Galaxy’s Edge Bar with two women on each arm—the third left in a huff after being told there wasn’t enough room on Tyler’s arm for her. Tyler didn’t mind. Redford Vale was a small town, and the Galaxy Edge bar was the most popular pub for miles. The girl would come back soon enough, and he’d have an arm for her. Tonight he would enjoy the blonde and brunette he had picked up. He wasn’t sure if he was drunk, hard of hearing, or just forgetful, but he wasn’t entirely sure of what the names of the girls were. Tyler would be the first to admit that he was a womanizer; but he was at least decent enough to catch the name of the girl beforehand. And he’d remember their names for nights to come.

Of course, remembering a name wasn’t too difficult. Redford Vale was quite a small town.

The bar was relatively full for a Thursday night. Normally, Tyler saved his exploits for Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and the occasional Monday. He had a day off the following day, however, and decided the fates wanted him to spend the next few nights hammered out of his skull. Hammered, but well-dressed of course. Tonight he would go black—that is, he’d be dressed in the most alluring of all shades. Or so he believed it to be.

He left his home at Finch apartments at about 10:00 at night, and strutted his way to Galaxy’s Edge on Sycamore Street a mere five blocks away. Strut would be the most appropriate word to describe the way he gyrated down the streets to the bar. Tyler was like a pea****: suave, flashy, and eye-catching—the only man in town who could get away with wearing sunglasses at night. This had more to do with his confidence than it did his looks; he had a demeanour that better looking men in Redford—and there were better looking men—did not. And just like with any other place in town, when Tyler walked into the Galaxy Edge bar, immediately all eyes were on him.

He flashed a smile and took off his sunglasses. The ground was, as previously stated, decent for the night. He walked over to an empty stool by Jessi, the barmaid and part-owner of the pub. Before he had even sat down Jessi put down a drink for him. “The stud’s all ready for you, Ty.”

The stud-- that’s what Jessi called his drink. It was always the first of many for the night.

“Good crowd tonight.” Tyler said after a nice long drink. “What’s the occasion?”

Jessi shrugged. “Beats me. I guess people in town are celebrating.”

“I can’t imagine why.”

The co-owner, Maia,  appeared holding a tray of empties. “Celebrating life, I reckon.”

“Ah. That kind of crowd.” Tyler nodded.

“It’s true, Ty.” Maia said, while Jessi filled fresh glasses. “After all that’s happened with the Leeds boy a few weeks ago, people are in a cheerier, more thankful mood.”

“I’m thankful.” Jessi said, handing her partner one of the mugs. “Thankful that my pub is still in business. Some of the guys who got killed were regulars.”

“Wasn’t the Leeds kid one of your students?”  Tyler asked, swiping one of the mugs that had been poured for a customer at one of the other tables.

“Ty, come on!” Maia groaned. “Hand it over.”

“I’ll pay for it, Mai.” He winked. “Jessi can just pour another one.”

Jessi shook her head in disapproval. But she poured another glass anyways, because it was Tyler. Maia took the glass, placed it on the tray, and stuck out her tongue at Tyler as she walked over to her table.

“So, about the Leeds boy.” Tyler said.

“Yea. He was in my English class.” Jessi said. “He was good friends with Becca Seely and that Shaw boy. The one who moved into 4D.”

“Ah. He was there, wasn’t he? Down in the caves, I mean.”

“Sure was. As were both of his cousins. Becca, too.”

“Interesting.” Tyler noted.

“You on Jess’ side then?”

“How do you mean?”

“Jess Shalner hasn’t taken too kindly to the Mason kid.” Jessi said. “She figured he was behind the whole thing for a long while there.  She had to finally admit that James had nothing to do with it.”

“I don’t know the guy,” Tyler shrugged. “It’s none of my business what he gets up to.”

“HA!”

Tyler turned to the large man who had taken a seat across the counter. A heavy-set man with a gruff and greying beard, clearly balding, and dressed almost entirely in denim.

“Oh…Hey, Rob. How are you doing tonight?” Jessi asked, slightly embarrassed.

“Just get me a beer and I’ll be out of your hair.” He grumbled. “I just couldn’t stand being in the house with Angie.”

“How is she?” Jessi asked, handing him a pint.

“As well as you’d expect a woman whose son has been murdered.”

“I’m sorry to hear about Christopher.” Jessi said, genuinely. “He was a great boy. Smart as a whip. I liked him.”

“Yea. So everyone keeps saying.” Rob Leeds mumbled. “And yet, he’s lying in a hole across town. I guess that’s what being nice, good and smart as a whip gets you nowadays.”

“I uh…heard you and Angie are planning on moving out of town.” Jessi said. “That’s brave of you. It’s a big step.”

“I’ve been telling Angie we should get out of here for over a year. After all the chaos with that punk in the overcoat, I figured it was only a matter of time before something similar happened. History repeats itself. I’ve been saying it for years.”

“And you two are sure you want to take that step?” Jessi asked. “I mean, Christopher was buried here.”

The man shrugged. “He’s not going anywhere.”

Tyler threw the barmaid a look that suggested she drop any attempt at making small talk with Robert Leeds. The man was clearly grieving, and obviously wanted to be alone. Jessi took the hint and continued serving her customers. Tyler, on the other hand, figuring the old man’s mood was turning off all the women from approaching the counter, grabbed a third pint from Jessi and went to scout out the talent.

They were playing pool across the room—a blonde and a brunette; both very attractive, both looking as though they were in their early twenties. He decided not to approach the girls yet. They would have had guys approach them all night long. He needed to make eye contact with at least one of them, and then drift about the bar for a bit, to give the impression that he had places to be, people to see, and other talent in mind.

The brunette was the one who looked first. She had just taken a shot and missed the 8 ball. It was a quick look, but eye contact had definitely been made. She walked over to her blonde friend and stared to whisper into her ear. Then the blonde looked up.

It was ridiculous how easy it could be sometimes. He flashed a grin and moved on.

As he was making his rounds around the bar he noticed Frank and Jess playing darts and acting cute. Tyler walked over to the couple and leaned up against an empty table.

“How’s my favourite couple doing?” He asked with a smile.

“We’re good, Tyler.” Jess said. “You up for a game of darts? I’m kicking Frank’s ass.”

“She really, really is.” Frank admitted. “I would not hold it against you if you asked to take over.”

“No problem.” Tyler grinned. “I’ll show you both up.”

As Tyler stood up to take the darts from Frank, a girl bumped into him. His mug tipped, and the beer spilt over on to the hardwood floor. He looked back at the girl, expecting an apology. He would accept it, of course—after all, he had bumped into many a large man and tipped over his beer.

The girl looked up at him, sullenly. She looked almost as depressed as Rob Leeds. “You’ll be missed.” She said, walking away.

“What the hell was that about?” Frank asked after about a minute.

“I’ve no clue. But I’m almost 100% sure I was threatened just now.” Tyler said, feigning a laugh. “Who was that?”

“Estelore.” Jess said, slightly aggravated. “Probably just sore about getting evicted from Finch.”

“What she do, kill a guy?” Tyler asked.

“No. She and I got into a fight. It was this whole mess.”

“Estelore wasn’t evicted so much as she moved, and a few people were rather pleased about it.” Frank said. “She’s a nice girl, really. Just a tad eccentric.”

“That says something, given where we live.” Tyler remarked. “Sometimes I think I checked into the loony bin when moving into Finch.”

Frank grinned. “It has that effect on people.”

Frank offered the darts to Tyler.

“Nah, I’ve changed my mind.” Tyler said, politely. “I’m just gonna get a drink, make another round, and call it a night.”

“You aren’t worried about what she said are you?” Jess asked.

“Me, worried?” Tyler scoffed. “I’ll catch you birds later.”

He walked back over to the counter, where Jessi was calmly dealing with an enraged Robert Leeds. Tyler saddled up next to the two.

“I’m honestly sorry about your loss, Rob.” She said. “But that doesn’t mean you can shout at customers. I’m going to have to ask you to leave if you don’t wise up.”

“Don’t talk to me like I’m one of your school children, Teach.” Rob snapped. “I’m not just gonna sit around here while people talk about me and my family behind my back.”

“Nobody’s been talking.” Jessi said.

“You were talking about my son when I got here.” Rob retorted. “Doesn’t anyone in this stupid town have anything else to talk about other than each other? I didn’t see anyone concerned about Christopher the night he was taken.”

Tyler put a hand on Rob’s shoulder. The man looked as though he was about to hit Jessi.

“You’re drunk, Leeds. Go home.”

Rob Leeds turned to Tyler and gave him a cold, hard stare. “You touch me, and I’ll bash your skull in.”

“I’d like to see you try, bud.” Tyler replied.

“Do we have a problem here, fellas?”

Captain Russell Teague and his partner, Cody Duchamp had arrived. Tyler guessed Maia had called them when Rob Leeds started throwing his tantrum.

Leeds scowled at the people around him. “Fine.” He snorted. “Just fine. I’ll go. You all band together and gang up on the guy who lost his son. Figures.”

Rob handed Jessi a wad of cash and shoved his way through the crowd.

“We’d better keep an eye on him.” Cody suggested. “No telling what he’ll do.”

Teague sighed. “He’s just buzzed and grieving. He’s not going to cause us any trouble.”

“Fancy getting me another drink, Jessi?” Tyler asked. “I mean, if you can.”

“Well, it is my job.” She mumbled.

She walked over to the counter and poured another pint from the tap. She handed it to Tyler. “You gonna call it a night, then?”

“Soon.” Tyler winked.

“Blondes?” She asked.

“One of them is.” He grinned. “The other one’s a brunette.”

“Well. You have fun with that.”

He downed the pint, gave the barmaid a wink, and walked over to the pool table where the two girls were chatting with a third. He walked up to the girls, struck up a conversation. Turned out the girls were roommates, and had a place not too far from the bar. The blonde was taking the brunette out for a girls night to make her feel better about her bad breakup. Twenty minutes later, Tyler was walking with said girls to their apartment.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:47:41 PM by Empress Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Re: Modtropolis (Episode Two): The Nest
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
                                                                           II

Appearing: King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw
                  : Horsefan1023 as Rebecca "Becca" Seely
                  : Avatar Blue as Brayden "Blue" Howard
                  : Tinkles as Skye Clara

He looked at her in the eye and asked, “Are you sure you want to do this?”

She bit her bottom lip and nodded.

“I mean, I don’t want you to feel pressured at all, ok? If you don’t want to…” He let the rest hang. He really did want her to.

“Yes. I’m sure. I want to. I really, really do.”

“It’ll go by quickly.” Blue assured her. “Everyone’s nervous their first time.”

“It just looks so big!” Becca said in awe.

Lucas nodded. “Yup. A whole 350 feet into the air, with, what—a 75 degree drop?”

“More or less,” Blue said. “One of the largest roller coasters in the country. It’s a fun ride.”

“It’s the first drop I’m worried about.” Becca told her friends. “That, and the loops, and the corkscrews…”

“Pretty much everything after the ride starts.” Blue laughed.

Lucas smiled down at Becca. “It’s not too late to back out.”

“And have Blue laugh at my expense for months on end? No thank you.”

The rollercoaster came to a stop in front of the line. In it were about twenty men, women and children, each with different expressions on their faces. Becca was pleased that no one threw up. She was going to ride the thing, she didn’t need to think about someone’s vomit on the seats the entire three minutes of the ride.

The gates opened up; those next in line for the ride stepped forward. Lucas had already chosen a seat near the front—the group agreed that Becca should ease her way into the experience, as the front and back were far too scary for her first time. They settled for the middle. Blue and Skye were already strapped into their seats—four seats to a cart; floorless trains of a yellow and orange colour, to match the colour of the tracks. Becca took a seat next to Lucas, just in front of Becca and Blue, who chose the outer seats. Two ride operators passed by to check that the seat belts and restraints were properly adjusted. Becca couldn’t help by worry that, perhaps, the ride operator may have worked too quickly; that her seatbelt and restraints would come undone, and she’d fall to her death.

“Alright, everybody, can I hear you screeeeeeeam!” One of the ride operators cried over the P.A system.

The crowd responded more than enthusiastically. Some of these people waited months for the ride to open.

“Alright, I’m required to remind you all to keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times; that you are to sit down at all times; and that you please spare your partner’s feelings and hurl in the opposite direction. Thank you.”

Something like air whooshing out of a mattress filled the air. Then the trains started to move. Almost immediately Becca felt the tickle one gets in the pit of their stomach when going down a steep hill in a car. Only this sensation was multiplied by ten as the train started to move up the three hundred and fifty foot hill.

Becca laid her head back onto the seat. It took all her strength to keep herself from shutting her eyes the whole way through. She tried distracting herself by looking out at the city that surrounded the park—Modtropolis, with its skyscrapers, shopping malls, small towns…Where Redford Vale was to be found. But the way the city seemed to shrink the higher the train went made her nervous. So she tried to tap her foot to the sound of the chains that pushed the train upwards—but there weren’t any floors on this ride.

Soon, the sound was gone entirely. And while the train hung in the air, dangling before a near 90 degree drop, a voice cried out from the P.A system: “We thank you for riding the Goliath. Keep in mind; we are not responsible for whatever doom you may face over the next few minutes. Ta ta.”

The chain recoiled. The train slowly began to push itself over the edge. Soon, it was speeding down the tracks at an increasing speed; followed by another incline immediately after that; then a loop; followed by a second; a third; a fourth; and corkscrews that Becca lost count of. The ride was more or less a smooth one, but Becca’s head bobbed in every possible direction; the experience would no doubt give her a headache later in the day. The only thing keeping her from shouting out in sheer panic was the notion that the ride was nearly over.

Finally, the train hit a complete stop. Becca’s body was hurled forward into her restraint, and then backwards against the seat. He hair was in her eyes, and she noticed an increase in saliva at the back of her throat. Beside her Lucas was grinning. He clearly enjoyed the ride. And judging from his excited shouts, Blue enjoyed the experience as well. Even Skye said the ride had been wild. Well, Becca couldn’t disagree with that.

They were helped off the ride by the ride operators, who smiled and told the group to enjoy their day.

“So, did you like it?” Lucas asked Becca once they had left the Goliath, and moved on to get lunch.

“It was definitely something.” Becca replied. “But fun.”

“You seemed pretty scared.” Blue told her. “You didn’t even scream.”

“Maybe she thought the ride was boring?” Skye suggested.

“Maybe. But not screaming is usually a sign that the person is scared pissless.”

“If it ends this conversation, then yes, I was scared.” Becca said.

Blue took the hint. “So, what do you guys want to ride after lunch? We could hit the Goliath again.”

“That was almost a two hour wait.” Skye groaned. “And we were on three rides before that.”

“You want to go home then?”

“Well…No.” Skye said. “I don’t know. It’s been a long day. We’ve been here since ten in the morning. And it’s getting cold soon.”

“Oh, come on!” Blue said. “The park closes for the season after today. You guys want to leave at, what, 2:00?”

“I do have a paper to write.” Lucas said, thoughtfully.

“We have a paper to write.” Becca corrected. “And that’s due Tuesday. We’ve got the weekend. Why did I let you convince me to come?”

“I have an idea.” Blue mumbled.

“I figured you could use a break.” Lucas shrugged. “I mean, we all could. Especially after…Well, I just figured we could use a break from school.”

A week after the Christopher affair the four of them—including Nelson Angelo Pryor—vowed that they would not discuss what had happened down in the caves. None of them were ready to accept the fact that a good friend of theirs had orchestrated the entire event. And while he managed to avoid bringing up the topic, Lucas noticed that the mood had changed significantly.

“We should probably go then.” Blue said, sullenly. “But after lunch. I’m hungry.”

They entered a 50’s themed diner—which was, unsurprisingly, called the Diner. The walls were all painted white, and the chairs were made of a cheap, red leather-like fabric. The waitresses were all dressed like Marilyn Munroe, and there weren’t any men to be seen on the floor. To top it off, the girls were wearing roller skates. It was tasteless, and loud, and poorly decorated; and yet, it was full. Becca figured it was the music.

They took a seat.

“James loves this song.” Lucas said, taking one of the menus from the skatetresses. “He loves Back to the Future.”

“This place is crazy.” Blue said, nodding at the skatetresses. “It’s like a huge party, but no one cool showed up.”

“It looks odd to have TVs in here, though.” Becca remarked.

“They had TVs back then.” Lucas replied. “Didn’t they?”

“They did in Back to the Future.” Skye shrugged.

“That was in 1985.” Blue corrected. “They went back to 1955.”

“Yea, but they had TVs in 1955, too.” Lucas insisted. “That one scene—“

“Look! It’s Finch!” Becca interrupted.

All heads turned to one of the overhanging television sets. Blue asked a passing skatetress if she could possibly raise the volume. She said they’d have to settle for subtitles.

“Looks like there’s been a disappearance.” Skye read.

“Did they say who?” Blue asked.

“No, I didn’t catch it. But he’s standing outside 8G.”

“Who lives at 8G?” Lucas asked.

“I think it might be…Tyler Allen.” Becca said, unsure.

“Well, he’s dead, whoever it is.” Blue said, darkly.

“You don’t know that.” Becca retorted.

“Yes, I do.” Blue grumbled. “I didn’t think this would end with Christopher. I had this feeling; deep down, that something else was coming.” He hesitated before adding: “And I think some other people are feeling it too.”

“Well…I thought we swore we wouldn’t mention what happened.” Lucas said, quietly.

“Well, this must be a sign that we can’t do that.” Becca suggested. “I mean, if Blue’s right and something else does come. Are we going to pretend everything’s just fine? Because that’s what the adults did for a long while with the whole Christopher situation. Look how well that ended.”

The group thought on this. No one could deny Becca had a point. But at the same time, nobody wanted to tell her she had a point. Everyone, including Becca Seely, wanted desperately to forget what had happened the previous month.

Lucas sighed. He took out his phone, dialed the number to 4D and waited. When the line picked up he said, “James…You’d better check the news.”
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
                                                                          III

Appearing: Unknown User as Anthony "Tony" Ville
                  : Empress Goose as James Mason Park
                  : KitCloudKicker as Jess Shalner
                  : Frank as Frank Reeve
                  : King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw
                  : DarkCyclone as Nicolas Shaw
                  : Horsefan1023 as Rebecca "Beeca" Seely

“Just so I know, we aren’t planning on making this get together of ours a regular thing, are we?” Tony asked the following Saturday morning. “If so I need to know now. I want to clear my schedule for any possible demon abductions.”

“We don’t know if it’s a demon this time.” James said from the kitchen, pouring coffee and tea for his guests. “We have no reason to think it’s a demon.”

“How about the three guys that were killed last month?” Tony retorted.

“Yes, but unlike those people, Tyler’s body wasn’t found.” Jessica reminded him. “Now, that doesn’t rule out demons completely, it also doesn’t mean it was absolutely a demon.”

“Jess, are you…are you siding with James?!” Tony feigned shock. “The apocalypse is nigh.”

“Hey, he’s making fun of me.” James said, handing mugs to Frank, Jess and Tony. “I guess that means I’m officially one of you?”

“He makes fun of everyone.” Jess said. “I wouldn’t get too excited.”

“I guess we should begin, then?” Frank suggested.

“Where’s Brayden?” Becca asked. “Shouldn’t he be here, too?”

“He…uh…told me to tell you guys he isn’t coming.” Skye said. “He has some stuff to do.”

“Hm…Interesting.” Tony remarked.

“He’s not the one responsible.” Jess replied.

“We thought the same thing about Christopher Leeds.” Tony argued. “We assumed no kid could do what Chris did. And the only reason he’s six feet underground right now is because Nicolas went wolf on his butt.”

Nicolas shifted uncomfortably in his seat between Lucas and Skye. Jess nudged her friend in the ribs.

“What are we even doing here? We have no leads.” Tony said, rubbing his shoulder.

“That’s not completely true.” Frank said. “Jess and I saw Tyler Thursday night. He was in the middle of an argument between Jessi Anderson and Robert Leeds—Christopher’s father.”

“And Estelore pretty much threatened him for bumping into her a few minutes before that.” Jess added.

“She didn’t threaten him.” Frank sighed. “Her exact words were: ‘You will be missed.’”

“Yea. And?”

“And I doubt it was a threat.” Frank told her. “No, if anything she seemed almost upset.”

“Maybe Tyler slept with her and didn’t call,” Tony suggested. “I mean, if some guy did that to me, I would be saying weird **** whenever I saw him, too.”

“No. Tyler didn’t know who she was at the time.” Frank said.

“See? He’s even denying the fact that he knows her. Classic guy.” Tony shook his head.

“We can question Estelore, but I think we should really look into Rob Leeds. Of the two suspects, he’s the one who actually threatened Tyler.” Frank said.

“’Question'?’” Tony repeated. “'Suspects'? When the hell did we turn into detectives? Isn’t this something the cops should deal with?”

“We’ll tell them what we heard from Estelore and Robert Thursday night.” Frank replied. “But I think, given how we kind of survived the last ordeal, we should keep an eye on the two of them.”

“Suppose we’re dealing with nothing.” Tony suggested. “Suppose Tyler just went on vacation with some girl he picked up, and just didn’t tell anyone.”

“Then we have nothing to worry about,” Frank told him. “But we’re still going to talk to Estelore and Leeds.”

“Alright, then suppose we’re just dealing with a killer—just your every day, run-of-the-mill, gun-wielding crazy. We get all get killed. Or,” He continued. “We’re dealing with a demon—or a gun-wielding crazy who summoned a demon—bent on chaos and such: we still get killed. Anyone see a pattern?”

James raised a hand. “We get killed in both?”

Tony blinked at his neighbour. “I wasn’t…oh my.”

“I know. I was just being clever.” James grinned. “I kind of do that, sometimes.”

“Tony may have a point, though, guys.” Jess sighed. “This is totally beyond us. This is a job for Mike and the other dabblers.”

“Who’s more experienced than us?” Frank asked. “I mean, I’m a dabbler. You’ve got some powers—“

“Jess hates it when Frank calls her a witch.” Tony explained.

“—James knows things about demons, and has access to that magic forum. And we have a pretty cool werewolf on our team.” Frank winked at Nicolas. “We’re the Fantastic Freaking Four.”

“Hey, what do I do in this rag-tag team of misfits?” Tony demanded.

“You could be that robot that showed up on the TV adaptation.” James suggested. “The one they replaced Johnny Storm with.”

“What did the robot do?”

James shrugged. “All I know is it didn’t light itself on fire.”

“Can I be Mr. Stretch instead?” Tony asked.

“You mean Mr. Fantastic.” Frank corrected.

“As long as I’m the one who gets to stretch his body in crazy ways…”

“This is so not the issue here!” Jess groaned. “This is why we need Mike! We can’t even focus!”

“I don’t think it would hurt us to keep the tone light.” Frank said. “I mean, it’s going to kill us if it turns out we’re dealing with a demon, and act like the apocalypse is coming tomorrow.”

And, for all we know, it could be.” Tony added.

Frank ignored him.

“Now, I’m not saying we shouldn’t take the situation seriously. I’m saying we need to keep ourselves from crashing into nervous-breakdown mode. Which is what I’m afraid is going to happen to Brayden if he continues to ignore what’s going on.”

“He gets upset whenever we mention what happened.” Lucas said, quietly. “And he was pretty upset when we saw the news reports.”

“And that’s understandable.” Frank said. “Nobody wants to accept that someone they knew was a killer. It makes them think things. But Brayden can’t run away from what happened; not indefinitely. He’ll have to face it.”

“I don’t want to face it either.” Skye said. “The whole situation’s too insane.”

“And it’s probably going to get more insane.” Lucas said, bitterly. “If a demon was responsible for Tyler’s disappearance, then we’re going to have to jump head first into this mess all over again; only to find out that Tyler was probably behind the whole thing all along—or that it was one of us, again.”

“Listen, Luc,” James said, gently. “You can’t just assume everyone around you is going to go crazy. Obviously, Christopher had some issues. A sane person doesn’t go on a killing spree. Now is not the time for distrust.”

“How do I know that for sure?” Lucas argued. “How do any of us know?”

“We don’t. That’s why we just have to trust that—“James began.

Lucas stood up. “No. We can’t. We can’t put faith in anyone. Wanna know why?”

Nobody answered. Most guessed it was a rhetorical question. Some were just shocked at seeing how Lucas was acting.

“Power.” Lucas said plainly. “Christopher may have had issues, but that wouldn’t have driven him to kill. The magic did it. It gave him power and he wanted more of it. When people get a taste of that kind of power they’ll do anything to attain it; and they’ll risk anything to keep it.” He paused. “But you guys already knew that.”

“The kid’s got a point.” Tony mumbled. “Let’s be honest with ourselves. If any of us had access to powers, and nothing was stopping us from doing whatever we wanted, then why wouldn’t we use it for our benefit?”

“But would you kill to obtain it?” Frank asked. “Would you kill to keep it?”

“Maybe.” Tony answered, quietly. “I’d like to think I wouldn’t. But I’m not sure I wouldn’t.”

“Because nobody wants to be ordinary.” Lucas said. “Not when they can be so much more.”

James got up from his seat on the couch. “You can trust me.”

“I’ve known you all my life.” Lucas told him. “You aren’t the one I’m worried about.”

“I’ve helped save your life, and I have a lot more power than Christopher did.” Jess said gently. “I think you can trust me.”

“And us.” Becca said. “You’ve saved my life, Luc. I owe you.”

“Jess would most likely castrate me if I ever harmed one of you guys.” Frank assured him.

“And I could have killed you about a dozen times by now.” Tony said, smiling. “Just so you know.”

“Gee…Why don’t I feel reassured?” Lucas said, sarcastically.

“It’s like your cousin said. You’ve got to just have faith in people.” Jess said. “It’s something that takes time. It’s something that has to be earned. You only knew Christopher for a month and were ready to trust him.”

“I didn’t think he’d be a killer, did I?” Lucas replied.

“You’re right that we need to be on our guard, kid.” Jess told him. “But you can’t go leaping at enemies that aren’t there. I think you’re fine with us.”

“I’m not even talking about my safety!” Lucas snapped. “I was talking about yours.”

His friends and family stared back at him puzzled. Lucas shook his head in frustration and stormed off to his room.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:37:24 PM by Empress Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:48:10 AM »
                                                                                 IV

Appearing: Empress Goose as James Mason
                  : Unknown User as Anthony "Tony" Ville
                  : Estelore as Estelore Lane

“Tony, you’ve known Jess for a while. Remind me why we’re the ones interrogating Estelore while she deals with Robert Leeds?”

“She doesn’t like Estelore.” Tony answered.

“And she’d rather deal with a very large, very angry man instead?” James asked.

“Apparently.” Tony shrugged. “Are you saying you’d rather deal with Robert Leeds?

“Well...Jess told me this girl’s insane, or something.”

“I don’t know Este too well. But I don’t think she’s dangerous.” Tony knocked on the door to Estelore’s house on Mulburry Lane. “Besides, which one of us is completely sane?”

“Well, I’d like to think I am.”

“Right. Because everything in your life is normal.” Tony mused. “By the way, how’s your werewolf feeling this evening?”

“Touché, sir.”

The door opened. Standing in the threshold was a girl of medium height—between 5’5 and 5’7—with light brown hair, and a pair of doe eyes that nearly made James melt. She was quite pretty. And when she greeted the boys, she spoke in a delightful welsh accent.

“Evening, Ms. Lane.” James said. “We were wondering if we could have a word with you.”

“I know why you’re here.” She said. “I don’t know where Tyler Allen is.”

“We didn’t say anything about Tyler, did we James?” Tony said, triumphantly.

“No, but Captain Teague and Officer Duchamp did earlier today.” She retorted.

Tony’s ego deflated a little. All he could manage was a pitiful: “Oh.”

“We aren’t the police.” James said. “We aren’t on a witch hunt. We just wanted to ask you some questions.”

“I can already see the questions you want to ask.” Estelore said. “And I can answer them right now: no. But that won’t be enough for you at all. So you may as well come in.”

James thanked Estelore for the invite and followed her into the house. Tony trailed behind.

The house was quaint: small, but well decorated. The house looked well furnished, with leather couches, fine wood tables, and marble counters. James noticed that there weren’t a great many pictures hanging about; and there wasn’t a single mirror in sight. And the further into the house he roamed, the more he noticed that, while the house was handsome looking, it was also rather bare and empty.

“You’ve got a nice house.” He said from the sitting room. “Did you just move in?”

“No, I’ve lived here for almost two years now.” Estelore called from the kitchen.

James and Tony exchanged looks. Tony nodded at one of the bare walls. James nodded in agreement. Both men thought the house felt empty.

Estelore walked in with a mug of tea and a mug of coffee. She brought nothing for herself. When they all sat down she said, “I’m a tad superstitious.”

“Um...Sorry?” James said.

“The house. I’m aware that it’s not as welcoming as most. It’s just the way I am. No mirrors—to prevent the possibility of breaking said mirrors—no ladders, even in the garage—to avoid stepping under said ladders—all cracks in the floors have been patched up, and I try and refurbish the place every few months.” Then she added, “I’m a tad OCD, as well.”

“Oh? Me too.” James said, almost enthusiastically.

“Yes. A lot of people seem to say they are.” She sighed.

“No, honestly,” James assured her. “I totally get the things about the mirrors and the cracks. I’m the same way.”

“This is very interesting and all,” Tony interrupted. “But can we please talk about Tyler?”

“You can ask all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that I can’t tell you anything thing.”

“Can’t or won’t!” Tony retorted.

“I believe I did say can’t.” She replied, giving Tony an odd look.

“Fine. Why can’t you, exactly?”

“There are rules, Anthony.” She said. “I’m bound by those rules. I’m not supposed to take sides.”

“Wait…so you know where Tyler is?” James asked. “You told us you didn’t.”

“Which was a lie, yes.” Estelore nodded. “But you aren’t the police. I didn’t break any human laws. Nor did I break supernatural law. I told Captain Teague about my situation and he understands that my hands are tied.”

“Well, would you mind filling us in, then?” James asked.

“Are you knowledgeable in the supernatural?”

“I sort of…dabble in demonology.” James replied. “Tony’s a civilian, but he’s aware of the things that go on in this town.”

“So you know about Christopher Leeds.” She said. “You know he wasn’t murdered like the rest of the town was made to believe.”

“No. I killed him.” James admitted.

“And you brought your cousin back from the dead.” She said.

“Yes.”

“You are not a dabbler. But you can feel it, can’t you? You can tell, somewhere deep inside, that something is coming to Redford Vale.” She turned to Tony. “Even you can feel it.”

“Say we knew what you’re talking about.” Tony said. “What do you know about this big bad evil coming to town?”

“I know much.” She replied. “But I can’t tell you. I must follow the rules—“

“What rules?” James asked. “What’s this power you’re in tune with?”

Suddenly, the mood in the room shifted. James couldn’t pinpoint it, exactly, but he could tell something in the air—something in Estelore—had changed. Perhaps it was her eyes—once brown, but now green. Or the looming dark that James could feel hanging around him.

“Where will you be when the leaves start to fall again?” She asked James. “Making and breaking deals with men in shadows?”

She rolled her head to the opposite side to face Tony. “And you—always hiding in the itsy bitsy crawly places in your house; how will you feel when they finally all turn their back to you?”

Tony’s expression darkened. “What are you on about?”

Estelore grinned. “Ask the soulless one.” She said, cryptically.

“Estelore…” James said, snapping his fingers in front of the woman. “Ms. Lane?”

The mood in the room changed—something in the air. It took a few seconds before he recognized this one: rage.

“Cowards! The lot of you! Runners and hiders; traitors and beasts; witches and demons; all around!”

Estelore eased up. Her eyes, changing from brown to green to hazel, changed to an icy blue. James felt relatively calm; happy, even.

“One day you will be pretty.” She said, smiling. “On your inside and on your outsides. Be patient.”

“Erm…thanks?” James said, not completely sure if she had been speaking to him.

“And he—the handsome one with the drawling voice—he will come back to you.”

“This is insane.” Tony whispered. “I’m starting to wish we went to Leeds’ place.”

“There’s love everywhere!” she said, pleasantly. “So much love. So much pleasantness.”

Her smile turned into a frown. Her eyes were gray now; something close to the darkness that filled the air during Estelore’s initial change arose. “But she will ruin it.” Estelore said, with venom. James knew this feeling—hate. “She will come when all are pleasant and loving, and she will continue to crush hearts and steal souls. And you won’t be pleased to see her.”

“I think these are visions.” James said, finally. “Or, at the very least, warnings.”

“You think she might be psychic?”

“I’m hoping she’s psychic. I’d hate to think she was acting like this because of something else.”

“That feeling,” Estelore said. “The one you have that tells you something comes near. Trust it. For he, too, is near. And he brings death with him.”

Something was different about this warning. There wasn’t so much emotion to it like there had been before. The Estelore James and Tony had met before coming into the house was back—as James could tell from her eyes, which returned to their brown colour.

“Who’s coming?” James asked. “How can we stop him?”

“I can’t say. The rules.” Estelore said, sadly. “I’m only allowed to give vague hints…though I’m not always in control, as you may have noticed. I can’t give the who, the where, the why or the how; only the what.”

“So break the rules.” Tony insisted. “It’ll save lives.”

“No. It doesn’t work that way.” Estelore told him. “If I tell you the details, not only will I be punished greatly—every living soul on the planet will suffer. That’s how the gift works: you break the rules, the game changes. And you do not want to see what I’ve seen. You do not want to see what will come if the rules change.”

“You can’t tell us the details of the future.” James said. “What can you tell us about what’s already happened. Can you tell us if Tyler is still alive?”

Estelore managed a small smile. “Clever boy. Finding loopholes in the game.”

“Not really all that clever.” James said.

“You ask me whether Mr. Allen lives. To that, I say no.”

“And you can’t say who killed him, because they still have a part to play in the game?”

She nodded.

“Alright. We’ll be out of your hair then. Thanks for taking the time to talk, Ms. Lane.”

“He feeds.” Estelore told James.

“He feeds?” James repeated.

“He feeds.”

“Feeds on what?” Tony asked, already knowing what the answer would be.

“He feeds on what everything feeds upon: flesh.”

“That’s a cheery thought.” Tony muttered. “Glad I came.”

The boys stood up and showed themselves out of the house. They didn’t even have a chance to discuss the strange things that happened at Estelore’s house. A mere five minutes after they walked out of the door, Tony got a call from Jess. After a couple of minutes of head nodding, head shaking, “yeses” and “no’s” Tony hung up.

“Rob Leeds appears to have disappeared as well.” Tony said grimly.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »
                                                                                   V

Appearing: King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw
                  : NewBlazingAngel as Nelson Angelo "Blaze" Pryor
                  : Tinkles as Skye Clara/i]

While James and Tony were out that night, apartment 4D at the Finch building was being looked after by Lucas Shaw and his two friends, Rebecca Seely and Nelson Pryor. Nelson had long since recovered from his injury at the hands—or rather, the teeth of—Christopher Leeds’ tasker demon, but never ceased to bring up how he had nearly been killed the month before. Both Lucas and Rebecca suspected that Nelson was simply using his experience as a means of getting sympathy from his fellow classmates. And, for a week or two, it worked. Acquaintances helped him carry his books from class to class, sat with him at lunch—mostly to hear him regale his tale about nearly being devoured by a real demon—and hung out with him during his free periods. He was also given extensions for his assignments.

Naturally, Nelson’s fame was overshadowed by both the death of Christopher Leeds and the mysterious adventure Lucas and Becca had down in the caves. Both kids had been told—by James, Jess, Captain Teague, Officer Duchamp, and Mike Phoenix—to keep quiet about the actual events that occurred. Instead they had to go along with the fabricated story the adults came up with: a murderer had kidnapped the kids, and killed Christopher before help could arrive.

So Nelson Pryor felt some resentment towards his friends for stealing the spotlight.

“I’ve seen this one a billion times.” He huffed. He was referring to an episode of Two and a Half Men.

“That’s why they’re called reruns, Blaze.” Lucas mumbled, his head resting in his palm and his arm propped up on the arm of one of the three couches in the sitting room.

“Do you have anything to eat?” Blaze asked, getting to his feet.

“There might be chips in the pantry.”

Nelson limped towards the kitchen. His leg had healed completely—the only evidence that there had even been a wound in his leg was a tiny scar. Lucas and Becca, however, simply ignored their friends’ desire for attention, choosing to focus on the rerun. There was a rustling sound coming from the topmost pantry above the fridge. In the kitchen Blaze stood, on the tips of his toes, arms stretched out towards one of the three bags of chips.

“The ketchup’s for James.” Lucas shouted eyes still on the television screen.

“I won’t eat that much.” Nelson said, grabbing the bag anyway. “He won’t notice.”

Lucas snorted. “The man is totally OCD. If anyone will notice, it’ll be him. I guarantee.”

Nelson plopped himself back onto the couch next to the one where Becca and Lucas were currently seated. He stuffed his mouth with a handful of James’ chips and laughed at something the maid had said to John Cryer.

Nicolas entered through the hallway that led to the bedrooms. He looked worried.

“It’s not a full moon tonight, is it?”

“No.” Lucas answered. “Not for another week, I think.”

“You think?” Nicolas repeated.

“I just know it’s not tonight.” Lucas said. “I’ll text James if it bothers you that much.”

“No. Don’t.” Nicolas sighed, retreating to the couch opposite that of Nelson. For a moment he was quiet and looked as though he was focused on the television show. Then he turned to his younger brother and said, “I don’t look…harrier to you, do I?”

Lucas groaned. “No. You look just as hairy as you did last night. In fact, I’d say you’re no harrier than you were when you started going through puberty.”

“Screw off.” Nicolas growled. “This isn’t some joke, alright? It’s serious.”

“Yea, because I don’t know how serious it is.”

“Well you’re always making jokes. You’re always sarcastic when the change starts coming.”

“I told you there wasn’t a full moon tonight. So you don’t need to be an idiot.”

“Lucas.” Becca said sharply. “Don’t.”

“Don’t call me an idiot!” Nicolas snapped.

“Fine. I’m sorry I called you an idiot.” Lucas said. “Can we just watch TV now?”

“Fine.”

“Good boy.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Nicolas roared.

“What is what supposed to mean?”

“I’m not some dog!” Nicolas shouted.

“I said good boy.” Lucas shot back. “Didn’t use the word dog, did I?”

“I know what you meant.”

“Will you two please settle down?” Becca said, hotly. “We don’t need a fight.”

“Lucas is asking for one.” Nicolas replied.

“Am not!” Lucas argued. “I just wanted to watch TV. I didn’t start a conversation about werewolves, or magic, or any of that crap. So can we please watch TV?”

The room was quiet, but the atmosphere hadn’t changed. The air seemed to get thicker, and the room seemed hotter. Nicolas got to his feet and stormed off to the kitchen. He started to pour water into the kettle and started mumbling to himself.

“He gonna be alright?” Nelson asked in a low voice.

“He’s trying to calm himself down.” Lucas replied. “The closer he gets to the full moon, the more on edge he is.”

“STOP talking about me!” Nicolas spat over the kitchen counter.

Lucas held back a retort. His brother was nearing the boiling point; and Nicolas was still a week away from his transformation, Lucas knew that it would be stupid to get him mad.

Nicolas started pacing back and forth a short distance in front of the fridge, waiting for the water to boil. He started to shake his head anxiously, and grabbed the sides of his head.

Lucas pulled his cellphone out from his pocket. “I’d better call James.” He mumbled.

“I’m going out for some air.” Nicolas announced.

Lucas suddenly got to his feet and ran to the kitchen. He grabbed his older brother by the shoulders and pulled him away from the door.

“Get off!” Nicolas growled.

“Don’t be stupid. I’m not letting you go out there.”

“I need some air, alright?!”

“Yea? Well, you can get some once you calm the hell down! I don’t need you running around town, getting James into trouble! You might hurt someone!”

“I’m not going to transform!”

“Nelson! Help me out, will ya?” Lucas shouted over to Blaze.

“Are you insane?!” Nelson shot back. “What if he…you know, bites me?”

Nicolas pushed his brother against the door with more force than he intended. He back up into the stove behind him. The kettle started to whistle. Everyone else in the room stood or sat in complete silence, waiting for Nicolas to act. Nicolas scowled at the other people in the room.

“I’m not going to bit anyone!” He snapped at Blaze. “I am not dangerous! Ok? I am not dangerous!”

His fist slammed against the face of the marble countertop, instantly cracking the material. Nicolas swore loudly and grabbed his hand. Blaze flinched in his seat, dropping the bag of chips. Lucas was back on his feet, only a few inches away from his brother. There was a knock at the door. After a moment’s hesitation Lucas answered it.

“Oh. Hey, Skye.” Lucas said. “What’s up?”

“I could ask you the same thing.” Skye said, entering the apartment. “I could hear you guys all the way down the hall.”

“It’s nothing.” Lucas sighed, shutting the door. “We had an argument. Nick’s…you know. The full moon’s close.”

Skye gave Nicolas a small smile. “You feeling alright, Nick?”

“Just a bit anxious.” Nicolas said. His face had reddened greatly, but he seemed calmer. “I just need some tea.”

“Here, let me get it. Go sit down. I’ll call you when it’s ready.”

Nicolas nodded and walked to his bedroom.

Becca walked over to the kitchen and hugged her friend. “Thanks for coming.”

“It’s fine. I should have been here anyway. I just came from Blue’s.”

“How is he?” Becca asked.

“He’s fine.” Skye replied. “I mean, he’s upset. He still won’t talk about Christopher, or Tyler’s disappearance. Pretty much all he wants to talk about is Harry Potter, video games, or TV.”

“Normal things.” Blaze muttered. “Anyone remember normal?”

Skye ignored Nelson; instead she poured the hot water into a mug for Nick. She grabbed a tea bag from a small box in the cupboard and let it steep. She added some honey and sugar. “Am I supposed to add anything else?” Skye asked, quietly, making it clear that she was referring to the materials needed to deal with Nicolas’ condition.

“No. There’s a spell that needs to be said. I don’t know it.” Lucas replied. “The tea alone should be fine.”

“I’d better take this to Nick. We don’t need the two of you going at it again.” Skye said to Lucas.

She walked out of the kitchen and down the hall, disappearing behind the door to Nicolas’ room.

“So what are we going to do about Brayden?” Becca asked.

“What do you mean?” Lucas asked, reclaiming his seat next to Becca.

“We obviously can’t let him shut himself up in his apartment when all this weird stuff is going on out there. He can’t just turn his back on all that’s happened.”

“But he isn’t going to listen to us.” Lucas said. “He made it clear that he doesn’t want to remember any of that stuff. None of us do, but Blue’s probably the only one who can. I mean, he wasn’t down in the cave—neither was Skye. He didn’t see Christopher die.”

“No, but he attacked by a demon.” Becca reminded him. “In this apartment.”

“Fine. You’ve got a point. But how can we help him? He isn’t going to listen.”

“Well we’re going to have to talk to him—just us. If we bring the adults he’ll feel ambushed. We need to make sure he knows that he’s surrounded by friends.”

“So we give him an intervention?” Nelson laughed. “He doesn’t have an addiction.”

“No. But he’s clearly upset, depressed, and scared. He’s trying to latch on to normalcy. The only way he can do that is by detaching himself from the situation.”

“Alright. We help Blue then.” Lucas agreed. “What do we do?”

Becca sighed. “I don’t know.”
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:15 PM »
                                                                             VI

Appearing: KitCloudKicker as Jess Shalner
                  : Frank as Frank
                  : Unknown User as Anthony Ville

By the time Sunday afternoon rolled by, most of the people in Redford Vale had known about the disappearance of not only Tyler Allen, but that of Robert Leeds as well. Indeed, while Tony and James sought out Estelore Lane and heard her peculiar visions, Jess Shalner and her boyfriend Frank spoke to the morose Angie Leeds—who had not heard from her husband since he went down to the Galaxy’s Edge Bar the previous Friday night. When midnight came, Angie called Captain Teague to make an inquiry; the Captain, who had prevented Robert from fighting at the pub, told the woman to wait until morning, and call back if Robert hadn’t returned.

“He probably had a few,” Teague told her. “He must have dozed off in his truck.”

And yet, when Saturday morning came around, Robert was nowhere to be seen. So a second call to the Redford Vale police department was made, and Teague promised he would send a team around town to investigate. If Robert wasn’t heard from by the end of the day, the search would spread out through the entire city. Naturally, this did not make the grieving Angie Leeds any more calm.

“She was pretty shaky.” Frank told James and Tony once they returned from speaking with Estelore. “Not much for talking, but that was understandable.”

“What did you guys get out of Estelore?” Jess asked.

James and Tony exchanged uneasy glances. “Well,” James began. “She got kind of…odd.”

“Odd is an understatement.” Jess said.

“Well, loopy is more like it.” Tony mumbled. “She…well, James seems to think that she was having a vision.”

“That is the only way to explain what happened back there.” James said, somewhat defensively. “I doubt she was just acting funny for the hell of it.”

“Well, she admitted to being OCD. Maybe she has some other issues going on, y’know?”

“Alright. Let’s just assume she really was predicting the future.” Frank interrupted, before James could snap at Tony. “Do you guys remember what she said?”

“Er…she went in to a trance…” Tony said, wracking his brains. “And she said a bunch of stuff.”

“Yea. Her thoughts didn’t seem to flow. Her mood kept changing. I mean, I could almost feel whatever she was feeling.”

“How do you mean?” Frank asked.

James shrugged. “Like…if she was predicting something cheerful, you could feel it in the room—like the temperature dropped.”

“Like we were connected to her.” Tony elaborated.

Jess and Frank stared at them; then they looked at each other. “What do you think, Frank?” Jess finally asked. “Magic?”

“Well, there are mood altering spells, sure.” Frank sighed. “But I don’t recall reading anything about the connection between the subject of the predictions and the one making the predictions.”

“Fine. So what did she say?” Jess asked.

“She definitely said something about feeding.” Tony replied.

“She said ‘he feeds on flesh.’” James added. “But we aren’t sure who.”

“And she mentioned something about me hiding in places.” Tony said.

“And…er…she said I’d be pretty someday.” James said, blushing.

“She could have meant me!” Tony said.

“I don’t know. It looked like she was looking at me.”

“Oh please. She was looking at me!”

“Guys!” Jess shouted. “Do this later. What else did she say?”

James thought hard: “There was something about a girl—someone who steals souls and hearts—“

“And Estelore told me to ask the soulless one—“

“And someone’s coming.” James said, quickly. “She told us to trust our instincts, because whoever we’re waiting for is coming.”

“Who are we waiting for?” Frank wondered.

“She wouldn’t say.” James said. “She said it was against the rules. She could only tell us what has already happened, and give us a vague idea of what’s coming. She can’t give answers.”

“Oh…she said Tyler’s dead.” Tony said, quietly.

“Dead?” Frank repeated.

“Dead.” Tony said. “Like, not alive anymore.”

“Poor Tyler.” Jess sighed.

“Estelore told Tyler he’d be missed.” Frank said. “I guess she was right.”

“But if Tyler’s dead, then who’s feeding?”

“Rob Leeds!” Tony shouted suddenly. “No, it makes sense! He killed Tyler. You guys said he was about to start a fight. Maybe he was drunk and he killed Tyler!”

“And Rob is doing what—eating the body?” Jess said.

“Would that be completely unbelievable?” Tony replied. “I mean, did we not just fight demons a few weeks ago?”

“No, we didn’t.” Jess said. “I did.”

“Details, details.” Tony groaned. “Why can’t it be Leeds? He’s already lost a son. His wife has gone quiet. He’s more pissed than a bunch of wasps. And he’s dropped off the face of the earth. Who else could it be?”

“Everyone thought I was the one behind the murders last month.” James said, quietly.

“And?” Tony shot back.

“Well, it’s never the first person you suspect, is it? That’s why everyone says it’s the last person you suspect.”

“It all comes down to motive, Tones.” Jess said. “Robert just has no reason to kill Tyler.”

“Fine. Forget it. I know nothing.” Tony grumbled, stubbornly. “It’s not Leeds.”

“Oh, don’t be like that T.” Jess sighed. “I just meant we can’t jump to conclusions.”

“Oh? Like you did to James?” Tony shot back.

“Unlike Rob Leeds, there was more reason to believe James was behind everything.”

“Can’t we just conjure a spell to find Tyler’s body?” Frank said, loudly. “Or Robert?”

“We could…” Jess answered. “It would require using something that belongs to them.”

“What—like their clothes?”

“No. Something personal…er…blood, hair, dead skin…”

“Yea, because we’ve got loads of that going around.” Tony rolled his eyes. “I’ll go ask Tyler…oh wait, he’s missing.”

“Listen, you don’t need to be an ass!” Jess snapped.

“Hey, can you guys keep it down?” Lucas said, having entered the room without their knowing. “I’ve got a paper to finish, and Nick’s trying to sleep.”

“Sleeping?” Frank looked at his watch. “It’s almost 1:00.”

“Nick’s sleeping patterns get wonky the closer we are to the full moon.” James explained. “And that’s in about a week.”

“Poor kid.” Frank sighed. “Not even a cure to fix him.”

“Not yet.” James said, with a note of determination in his voice. “There are ways. That demon—D’haffar—could have done it.”

“So, why don’t you summon him again?” Tony suggested.

“An individual could only summon D’haffar once. I’ve used up my chance bringing Luc back.”

“So, why doesn’t one of us do it?” Tony asked.

“It requires a blood sacrifice.” Jess said, quietly. “Blood from a human.”

“How much?”

“All of it.” James replied. “You’ve got to kill for D’haffar—something about an even trade.”

“Alright…So this D’haff-thingy is out. There’s got to be another way.” Tony said.

“Trust me. I’m looking.” James replied.

“Unfortunately, we’ve got our hands full with this Tyler situation.” Frank sighed.

“Why’s that our problem? It’s got nothing to do with us.” Tony said.

“Well, for a while we had nothing to do with the last couple of murders and disappearances that happened in Redford. Then Christopher Leeds decided to kidnap Becca and Nicolas.” Frank retorted.

Tony remained silent.

“We’ll search the town tonight.” Frank said. “Jess and Tony will look around the populated areas—ask anyone you see. We may need to talk to Estelore again.”

“I am not going back to that place again!” Tony interrupted.

“I said we may need to talk to her. James and I will check the woods behind the school. It’s pretty thick in there, so we’ll need flashlights. Any questions or concerns?”

Nobody had any.

“Good. We’ll leave after dinner.”
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
                                                                                                        VII

Appearing: Frank as Frank Reeve

“You know what the problem with Saved by the Bell is?” James asked.

“That people continue to bring up Saved by the Bell in a conversation almost ten years after it ended?” Frank replied.

“The problem is Zack Morris.” James said. “I mean, the show has, like, zero set rules. Sitcoms follow rules, right? I mean, Saved by the Bell is modeled on California in the 1990s, so there aren’t any out-of-the-realm-of-possibilities moments…Except for the whole ability to stop time.”

“Yea, I never got that.”

“I mean, I can handle the whole breaking the fourth wall thing—lots of shows do that. It’s a pretty dumb way to tell a story—just explaining things directly to the camera—but it wasn’t completely out there. So why the hell can Zack stop time?”

“Maybe it’s just an extension of breaking the fourth wall?” Frank suggested.

“Yea, but he’s actually stopping time!” James said. “There was this one episode where Zack is in Principal Belding’s office, and Slater is about to punch him out. But Zack says “Time out” and time stops. When he says “time in”—after he’s gotten out of the way of Slater’s fist—he’s out of the room, and Slater hits Belding instead. And they’re looking around, wondering where the hell Zack went. So, either the entirety of the series is just in Zack Morris’ head—where he is some uber-being—or Zack really can stop time.”

“Why are we talking about Saved by the Bell?”

“Because dark and scary forests scare the crap out of me and I couldn’t take the silence anymore.”

Frank Reeve and James Mason Park trudged through Eden Wood forest in the west end of Redford Vale, flashlights in hand, with nothing but the pitch black of the night to keep them company. It had been decided that Frank and James would search the woods for any sign of either Tyler Allen or Robert Leeds. The men had already been told, by the eccentric and possibly psychic Estelore Lane, that Tyler Allen was dead. That Robert Leeds was the murderer was a fact accepted by most of their group. It had been decided that, if Leeds had murdered Tyler, the most likely place to have hidden the body would have been somewhere relatively empty.

“There’s nothing dangerous in these woods, James.” Frank assured his friend.

“Nothing dangerous? I've been here a month and I’ve already seen demons and zombies. And my cousin is a werewolf! There’s no way I’m buying the whole “nothing can hurt you here” bit. Seriously, I’m starting to think that this town is cursed.”

“Well, that could be an actual possibility.” Frank mused. “I’ll grant you that weird **** goes on here, James. But I doubt that there is anything around here that we couldn’t handle. Besides,” he grinned, “If there were, we’d probably already be dead.”

“What do you think we’re dealing with anyway?” James asked.

“Best case scenario, we’re just dealing with a homicide.”

“That’s the best case scenario?!”

“Well, obviously not for Tyler.” Frank said. “It would be simpler to deal with a drunkard who killed Tyler in a fit of anger. It would probably a lot cleaner, too.”

They continued on through Eden Wood in silence. Then, something would scamper passed the men, or the bushes would start to shake, and James would suddenly be on edge.

“I didn't think you’d be so jumpy.” Frank laughed. “You’ve taken on a werewolf and a tasker demon. What’s so frightening about the woods?”

“I just don’t like being vulnerable.” James said. “We’re practically blind here, man.”

“We’ll be fine, James.” Frank insisted. “If you want, we can talk some more about Saved by the Bell.”

“Did you know that Screech had a sex tape?”

“Maybe we should just keep quiet…We wouldn’t want to wake anything up.”

“I’m not saying that I’ve seen it…Wait…what’s that?”

“What’s what?” Frank asked.

James started shaking his flashlight in the direction of the obscured mass a few feet away. “Over there, by that rock!”

“Guess we’d better investigate.” Frank suggested, taking the lead towards the object.

“Oh man…It’s probably Tyler’s mangled body.” James groaned.

But as the men drew nearer, they found that the object was not human. Instead, it appeared to be a large animal: covered in silver-grey fur. The creature was immobile and lying on its belly, face hidden from the eyes of Frank and James.

“What do you think it is?” Frank asked.

“Werewolf, I think.” James offered. “Or some other sort of were beast.”

“What do you mean ‘other sort’?”

“Well,” James sighed. “There are werewolves, and there are other things that are half man, half beast. The werewolf seems to be the most common. But I’ve seen pictures in books about werecats and stuff like that.”

“Well, only one way to find out.” Frank said, grimly.

“What are you doing?!”

“I was going to turn it over to get a better look.”

“And what if it isn’t dead?”

“I don’t think its breathing.” Frank said, examining the creature further. “Look…I think that’s blood on the ground.”

Before James could stop him, Frank crouched and touched to fingers to the scarlet liquid that covered the dirt under the beast. He brought the two fingers to his face and examined them. “Looks like blood alright. This thing’s dead.”

“It doesn’t smell dead.”

“Well, you’re not wrong there. This is a fresh kill.”

“Which means that whatever killed it can’t be too far away.” James said, darkly.

Frank turned the beast on to its back—it had, indeed, been a werewolf. A sizeable chunk had been taken out of its neck. On the snout, there were fresh marks—possibly from the claws of a much larger creature. Its eyes were blank, and the werewolf’s mouth hung open. Frank got to his feet. “Are werewolves usually grey?”

“I don’t know.” James sighed. “I guess it depends on the hair colour of the person. If this thing was grey, then whoever it was as a human must have been older—middle age or elderly.”

“ I've got to tell you, man. The entire time I’ve lived in this town, I’ve never actually seen a werewolf.”

“What, do you think there could be more?”

Frank scratched the top of his head. “Could be. I’m a bit rusty on my knowledge of were beasts. Do they normally hang around in packs?”

“Some do.”

A moment passed before broke the silence. “You don’t think that, maybe, your cousin---“

“No. He hasn't been out of my sight since the night of the Chris Leeds incident.”

“He’s never bitten anyone as a werewolf?”

“He hasn’t bitten anyone period.” James said, defensively. “I’ve kept him under my watch ever since he was bitten. The only person he bit died in that cave.”

“I’m sorry.” Frank sighed. “I had to be sure. Like I said, I haven’t seen a werewolf in Redford before. This one might be from out of town.”

“We’d better head back and tell the others.” James said. He was eager to leave the dark and possibly werewolf inhabited forest.

“Yea, let’s do that.” Frank said, bending down again.

“What are you doing?”

“We’re taking this thing with us.” Frank said, calmly. “I want Jess and some others to take a look at it.”

“We’re just going to carry a dead werewolf through town?” James asked. “Won’t that raise suspicion?”

“We’re going to have to be sneaky.” Frank suggested. “And if someone does see us, they’ll just think it’s another ordinary night in Redford Vale.”

James groaned in protest, but bent down to help Frank lift the werewolf carcass.

Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
                                                                                                             VIII
     Appearing: Blue as Brayden "Blue" Howard
                     : New Blazing Angel as Nelson Angelo "Blaze" Pryor

Brayden Howard wasn’t usually one to keep to himself; in fact, he rather enjoyed being around people. And, normally, he would be off with his friends, either at a nearby café, or at the playground behind the old elementary school. Though he did occasionally enjoy a little time to himself, where he would have a Harry Potter movie marathon, this particular day in doors was not fun. For weeks, Brayden Howard had been feeling rather melancholy. A few weeks beforehand, a series of murders had been put to an end with the death of one of blue’s oldest friends, Christopher Leeds—who turned out to be the mastermind behind the whole incident. While Brayden had not been unaware of his home town’s mysterious past, this had been the first time that any dark dealings had been the product of a boy his own age. The possibility that more of his friends would turn over to the dark side, as it were, upset Brayden more than he could say. Fortunately for him, his friends were wise to his melancholy.

Brayden heard a knock on his door, interrupting his movie marathon. He paused the third and arguably best installment of the franchise and got to his feet. He opened his door to see Becca Seely, Skye, Nelson Pryor, and the Shaw brothers standing in the hallway.

“Hey guys, what’s up?”

“We’re here to cheer you up, Blue old pal.” Nelson said.

“I don’t need cheering up, though.” Brayden lied. “I was just watching TV.”

“Good. Then we can join you.” Skye beamed, walking into Blue’s apartment, uninvited. The others followed her example.

Blue sighed, shutting the door. “Look, guys, I appreciate your concern. But I really am fine. I just wanted some time to myself.”

“I cried for days after Christopher was killed.” Skye said, suddenly. Blue was obviously caught off guard. “Sometimes I still cry. He was my friend.”

"Yea, Chris was great.” Nelson said, sadly. “You know, he was the first guy I met when I moved here? He was always super nice to me.”

“Sure, Chris was a great guy.” Blue grumbled. “Except for the part where he turned out to be a murderous psychopath.”

“We were all shocked, Bray.” Becca said, quietly. “So, if you’re beating yourself up for not knowing…”

“I’m not beating myself up over anything.” Blue said. “I’m just trying to get things back to normal, ok? Only, I can’t do that if we keep talking about magic and all that crap.”

“You used to love magic.” Nelson mumbled. “There was a time where you would have given anything to live in a world of magic.”

“I wouldn’t kill for it.” Blue snapped.

“Not what I meant…Skye, maybe this was a mistake.”

Skye ignored Blaze and looked intensely into her friend’s face. Brayden did his best to avoid her gaze. Soon, Becca, Nicolas and Lucas were staring up at him as well.

“What do you guys want from me?” Blue said. “You want me to attend your little meetings? Listen, I appreciate you guys trying to include me and all, but I don’t want to get sucked into this whole fantasy/mystery series that’s apparently taking place in town. Just leave me out of it.”

“Well, tough cookies.” Skye said. “Because we aren’t going anywhere.”

“Yea, Blue. You and the others helped me out when you guys found out about my…er…issues.” Nicolas said. “I want to help you with whatever it is you’re going through.”

Brayden took a moment to look at his friends. He could see how eager they were to help him; that was obvious. But they weren’t the problem.

“It’s not like I don’t trust you guys.” Blue sighed. “I don’t expect all of you to turn out like Chris. It’s everyone else that worries me.”

“You mean my cousin.” Lucas said.

“No, your cousin’s fine, I guess. It’s not even really like I’m suspicious of everyone around me. At least, not completely. It’s that feeling in the air…That dark feeling I get when I’m at school, or in bed, or when I’m sleeping…The feeling that something really, really bad is about to happen, you know?” Blue looked at his friends, hopefully. “Don’t you guys feel it too?”

“So…things are just going to keep getting worse?” Nelson asked. “Like…more deaths?”

“I’m not saying I’m psychic. I’m just saying that I have a feeling. And it’s not going away. It feels so real.”

“I feel it too.” Lucas said, finally. “I’ve felt it even before Chris brought us down to the cave.”

“I don’t feel anything.” Blaze said.

“I overheard James mention the same thing.” Nicolas said thoughtfully. “But I’ve always just expected things to turn out wrong; ever since I’ve turned.”

“What do you think it could be?” Skye asked to no one in particular.

“It’s something with a lot of magic.” Lucas said, suddenly.

Everyone turned to him, expectedly, but Lucas himself seemed surprised by what he had said. Then he continued: “It feels near, you know? Like…like it might already be here. Like it’s always been here. Like something that’s just been asleep for a long time, and something’s woken it up and it’s hungry.”

“And we’re the chow.” Blue mumbled.

Nelson hesitated. “So…how come you guys can feel it, but we can’t?”

“That’s actually a good question.” Blue said.

“James might be back any minute with Frank Reeve.” Lucas said. “He’ll probably have something to say when he gets back…You don’t have to come, Blue. But I think it would be good if you came—just to hear what’s up.”

Brayden thought on it. He had been thinking about it for some time now. Finally he said: “I’ll come-- but only to listen. I won’t contribute any theories. I just want to make sure that nothing else is going to come and hurt my friends.”

With that, Blue added a slight smile. The group walked out of Brayden Howard’s apartment, and started down the hall towards 4D. They only just reached the door when Tyler Allen walked up the steps.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
                                                                                          IX

Lucas stared down the hallway at the handsome, apparently not dead, Tyler Allen. The man looked absolutely fine, if not slightly dishevelled. His suit was torn in places, he was bare foot. And he seemed rather thin. But apart from that the man was full of life. To his friends, this was terrific news. To Lucas, there was something very wrong with Tyler—he could feel it…somehow.

“Tyler!” Becca shouted, excitedly. “You’re alive!”

“Of course I’m alive.” Tyler flashed a smile. “Was there any doubt?”

“Everyone thought you were dead, man.” Brayden said with a laugh. “Glad to hear we were all wrong.”

“Yea, well, I’ve got loads to tell you guys. A lot has happened.” Tyler said as he approached the kids. “But I’m beat. I need a pick me up. Think I could maybe come in for a drink?”

“No.” Lucas said quickly, before any of his friends could oblige. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. James doesn’t like visitors.”

Nicolas shot his brother a confused look. “What are you talking about? James doesn’t care—“

“Yes. He does.” Lucas insisted. “Sorry, Tyler, maybe another time.”

Tyler frowned. “What’s the big deal, kid? It’s one drink.”

“Yea, but it’s James’ apartment. He makes the rules.”

“Since when do you follow the rules?” Nicolas snorted.

“Since shut up.” Lucas shot back. “Just get in the house.”

“Lucas, what’s going on?” Becca asked, confused. “You seem spooked.”

Lucas kept his gaze on Tyler. He seemed so normal, yet the air around him said differently. It seemed to crackle, to scream that Tyler was not normal. Then what, Lucas wondered, was he?

“I think everyone should get inside—except for Tyler.” Lucas said. “He’s…well, I don’t know what he is, but he’s not human.”

Tyler laughed. “Man, you are paranoid. This town has made you crazy, kid.”

“Maybe.” Lucas agreed. “But you still aren’t getting inside.”

“Oh?” Tyler smiled, darkly.

There was a sudden movement. Before anyone could react Tyler had an arm around Becca’s neck. He held her close to his chest; held her firmly. Becca struggled as best as she could, but she couldn’t escape. Tyler grinned, revealing a set of particularly sharp fangs.

“What the actual f**k!” Nelson shouted, backing into the threshold to Lucas and Nicolas’ apartment. “You’re a vampire?!”

“Only a little.” Tyler laughed. “Is that so wrong?”

“Ugh…yea!” Blue snapped. “You’re a freaking demon!”

“Well you aren’t perfect either, Brayden.” Tyler said. “So, are you going to invite me in now, or will I have to bite Becca first?”

Lucas stared at Tyler with the utmost hate. “You’re invited.” Lucas said through gritted teeth.

Tyler smiled, still clutching Becca. “Atta boy. Now, let’s move this conversation inside, shall we?”

Reluctantly, Lucas led Tyler and his friends into 4D. He invited a vampire—the fabled creature of darkness; the immortal bloodsucker; count Dracula—into his home. He and his friends were at the mercy of the now undead Tyler Allen. And all he could think about was saving Becca.

“Ok, you’re in now. Let Becca go.” Lucas demanded.

“Nuh uh, kid.” Tyler said. “She’s collateral. I let her go and then you stake me. No thanks.”

“We wouldn’t even know how.” Nelson said, shakily. “Please. Don’t kill us. We’ll do anything!”

“No we most certainly will not.” Skye snapped. “We’re gonna kill the freak. Don’t give him anything, Lucas.”

“You even touch a sharp object and I’ll bite her.” Tyler threatened. “And I’ll make her like me.” He stroked Becca’s hair. Becca shuddered.

“What do you want, Tyler?” Brayden asked. “We don’t have anything that you could possibly want.”

“But of course you do!” Tyler said. “You all have bodies filled with 9 pints of juicy red blood.” He shook Becca. “How much is that, brainiac? 54 pints?”

“And you can’t find that elsewhere?” Skye asked. “You had to come here, specifically?”

“He wants something.” Lucas said. “Something in this building.”

“Guys?” Becca said. “Less talking, more saving, please.”

“Look at you.” Tyler laughed. “You’re adorable; all helpless and such. Shoot.  Say: how would you like to be adorable for all eternity?”

“An eternity with you? No thanks.” Becca scoffed.

“You’ll come around after a decade or two. After that, you’ll grow to love me.”

The anger continued to build up inside of Lucas. It was total agony; having to stand by and watch as Tyler taunted Becca. Any attempt to save her would result in Allen killing, or turning Becca. The thought of Becca becoming a vile creature like Tyler scared Lucas. Yet he couldn’t do anything to help. Lucas found himself wishing he didn’t have feelings to begin with. Didn’t he learn a thing from James? Feelings for a girl just ended in pain. Nothing came from it but anguish, stress, loss, and frustration. It annoyed him how much he wanted to save Becca; how horrible he would feel if anything happened to her. Where would he be without Becca?

Lucas’ eyes widened. His body tensed up. He fell onto his knees and started gasping and shaking. Around him, his friends stared. Even Tyler seemed intrigued.

“That isn’t going to work, kid.”  Tyler said. “I’m no some kind of—UGGH!”

Tyler fell to the ground, writhing in pain. Becca had nudged the vampire in the groin. She ran over to Lucas. The boy gasped in what his friends construed as unimaginable amounts of pain. Becca held him close, trying to calm her friend down. Tyler, however, was back on his feet.

“Stupid cow!” Tyler growled. “I’ll drain you!”

Becca raised her head, her face alight with fury. The floor beneath their feet shook violently, the cupboards and furniture rattled about, opening and closing their drawers, silverware floated in the air. Tyler looked around in surprise.

“Becca?” Skye said, quietly. “Becca, are you ok?”

The young girl’s eyes were blank. The pupils had disappeared entirely, leaving behind only two white holes in Becca’s face. Lucas lay motionless on the ground by Becca’s lap. Becca, on the other hand, looked absolutely alive with power. The air around her glowed white.

“A witch.” Tyler said. “That’s interesting.”

And with a force so powerful her friends stumbled from its shear might, Becca tossed Tyler through the wall, out into the hallway—all without raising a finger.

Outside, the vampire lay still beneath drywall and wood. Standing above Tyler was Frank and James, carrying a creature that might have been a werewolf.

James stared in awe at the scene in front of him. “I don’t believe it…I just had that wall fixed!”
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)