Author Topic: Prose and Consciousness  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Toominator Z

• Divide by Zero
Prose and Consciousness
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »
Greetings Rafians. I'm an old (25) user from back before RAF switched servers. Estelore is a close friend of mine and Phoenix, Claire, and Visser 3 (if they still go by those names) may still remember me from our long lost City of Titans rp. Recently started working on a comic of sorts with my close artist friend Lily and remembered how compassionate and encouraging Rafians have always been with me, so I decided to post up the first "chapter" here. As she develops the artwork for it I may be posting those as well. Anway, here you go. Feedback is of course appreciated.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Reader discretion advised for drug references and use of strong language. Only sparingly though.

The sun was just shy of its highest and brightest placement. An entire four minutes earlier than Ness was required to awaken. So when his phone vibrated on the night stand disrupting his dearly beloved yet painfully unhealthy sleep pattern, he was not pleased. Rather than appreciating the wake up call, or text to be exact, he would have compared it to scraping a cheese grater down his wrists and gone on to describe how the act of tearing his flesh into strips would have been more pleasant. He did NOT want to open his eyes at all, let alone a single second before he absolutely needed to.  He grabbed the phone still half asleep and flung it across the room. The toss was haphazard, but managed to just barely tip the half empty Heineken bottle on his kitchen counter. The bottle in turn spilled all over the half O of Grand Daddy Purp he’d just capped last night.

“You’ve GOT to be ****ing kidding me.”

He glared up at the lamp he didn’t even remember turning on. It was gleaming bright from his nightstand and the piercing light burned his retinas. Without a conscious thought, he jumped out of bed, grabbed the first object in reach, and smashed it against the floor. Tiny pieces from the glass lotus flower now littered the dirty tile. This made him feel better. For about two seconds. This emotion needed to be remedied with something that would last longer. A yawn, a stretch, and a groan preceded his walk to the kitchen. There was no more coffee, but at least the newspaper was still unscathed by fate’s cruelty. It was an independent paper printed by students at his sister’s university. She had been highly insistent that he subscribe because it had all this turbo hippy **** about spirituality and followed what the mainstream media was supposedly censoring during the occupy movement. A blissful smile flushed his face as he grabbed it and sat down in his most comfortable chair. He took his time to examine the paper, feeling the thickness of its pages with careful and purposeful sensitivity. Twirling the TV remote in his fingers with the grace of a prima ballerina’s pirouette, he hit the power button and tore out a small square from the paper. It was time to roll his best joint yet.

Ness had learned to keep extra weed on him at all times. The anxiety of not being able to smoke was unacceptable. It’s almost as bad the feeling he got when that one girl kept asking for their relationship to be “serious”. He shuddered at the thought. Serious seriously sucks. As far as he was concerned, life is a game. You only win by not taking it serious and always having fun.

After enjoying his toast extra toasty he was all set to go. Soon as he found his phone.

“Where did that **** disappear to? I swear it’s ****ing Hudini.”

Then he found the cracked case on the floor and it all came flooding back to him through the haze of his high. His resentment resurrected like a zombie and took a deep bite into his brain.

“Oh, that’s right, Destiny. I totally forgot you **** all over my cereal. Please, why don’t you piss in my face to top it off?!” he yelled, slamming the front door. Without missing a beat, thunder stuck and rain began to fall in heavy rounds. He took this in silence. Yanking his bicycle from its rack, he knocked over a plant pot and watched the dirt explode onto the quickly muddying concrete. Bitterly, he got on his bike and rode off into the rain. Passing his bedroom window with clear view of the nightstand, his blind rage kept him from noticing the unplugged cable of the still mysteriously lit nightlamp. 

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: Prose and Consciousness
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »
O_O;

YOU'RE BACK!!!

*collective pounce*

Claire -----> Nate, now. Adjust pronouns accordingly, savvy?

Damn, it's good to see you back here.

As for the post, it's a good read, very alive. We look forward to reading more, if you post more.

We're still totally gobsmacked to see you back. :D!
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Toominator Z

• Divide by Zero
Re: Prose and Consciousness
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:04:23 AM »
:] Thanks for the warm welcome. And woah. Claire = Nate now? I find that fascinating.