Author Topic: Modtropolis (Episode One): Welcome to Redford Vale [Complete]  (Read 8108 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Re: Modtropolis (Episode One): Welcome to Redford Vale
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »
                                                                                      XV

Appearing: Empress Goose as James Mason
                  : Horsefan1023 as Rebecca "Becca" Seely
                  : DarkCyclone as Nicolas Shaw
                  : King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw
                  : Crossoverfan as Christopher Leeds
                  : Tobias as Tobias Roark

“I can’t believe it.” Becca said, horrified. “You must be under a spell—Chris! Christopher, snap out of it.”

“He isn’t under a spell.” James said, getting to his feet. “I can’t say I’m totally surprised.”

Christopher frowned. “How do you mean?”

“While you certainly don’t give off the mass murderer vibe, I was kind of suspicious of why a tasker demon let you live when its one purpose in life is to kill whatever crosses its path. And back at the school, too—the demon didn’t lift a finger against you. It just grabbed you. Because it wanted us to follow you. Because you wanted us here in this cave.”

Christopher shrugged. “I still had everyone else fooled.”

“I just don’t have the why yet.” James said. “Mind sharing?”

“What, you can’t figure that out on your own, Chimaera?”

James raised both eyebrows in surprise. “You’re MetaWarlock?”

“You should know better than to trust some loony on the net.” Christopher grinned. “Tsk, tsk. How irresponsible.”

“Why, Chris?” Becca asked. Her eyes were tearing up.

“Hear that, Stu, I think she wants a motive.” Christopher laughed. “Lucas said you liked the Scream franchise, Jimmy. Now you get to live it. Now it’s time for the big killer’s reveal!”

“I really hope this wasn’t all some elaborate attempt at a real life Scream film.” James said. “I’ll be pretty ticked off.”

“Not at all, James old pal.” Christopher replied. “Actually, we came here for the exact same reason. But let’s share with the audience, shall we?”

As if on cue, the zombified corpse of Tobias Roark walked out from the western tunnel entrance, with a gagged and bound Lucas.

“Ironic, isn’t it?” Christopher grinned. “I’ve been killing all over town, looking for the key, when I was sitting next to the key in two classes for an entire month! I definitely didn’t see that coming. Did you, James?”

“What’s he talking about, James?” Becca asked.

“Tell her James. Tell her why you came to Redford Vale.”

“Why don’t you just stuff it?” James retorted. “You lay a single hand on Lucas and I’ll kill you.”

“You aren’t in the position to make threats, Jimmy.” Christopher taunted. “Hand him over, Roarky. I want to make this look like the films.”

Roark dragged Lucas over to Christopher. Christopher put one arm around Lucas’ neck and nestled the knife beneath the boy’s chin.

“Looks familiar, don’t it, Jimmy?” Christopher laughed. “Scream Three.”

“Master,” Roark said. “Shall I summon the tasker to dispose of his brother?”

“Not just yet, Roarky.” Christopher said. “I’m having too much fun with this. Tell me, James, did you ever suspect that your cousin was the one you’d have to kill to get what you came here for?”

“What?!” Becca shouted at James. “So you did come here to kill.”

“The ritual didn’t specify that it had to be a human kill.” James said to Christopher. “Unless you meant to keep that information from me.”

Christopher giggled. “Guilty as charged.”

“What the hell is going on here?!” Becca demanded. “James, you’re acting like you’ve known Chris before moving here.”

“I did…Sort of.” James told her. “There’s this forum—about magic. I needed information on a certain ritual. I met Chris there. But I swear I didn’t know who he really was beforehand. MetaWarlock never told me his real name.”

“Chatted for months, we did.” Christopher said, grinning. “Asked me a bunch of questions. Told me he had a problem that he wanted to fix.” Christopher nodded at the unconscious form of Nicolas. “Did you hear, Becca? Nick’s a werewolf!”

“He was bitten back home.” James informed her. “I have a potion that keeps him tame…for the most part. But it isn’t a real cure.”

“So he started talking to me.” Christopher said. “And you wouldn’t believe how perfect the situation was! I knew the ritual. I knew where the ritual needed to be performed. And I had someone in another continent who wanted to perform it as well! All I needed to do was find the sacrifice. See, that’s the really tricky part. It can’t just be any old body. It needs to be a truly pure and virgin sacrifice.” Christopher winked a Becca. “And it can’t just be any old virgin. It needs to be a virgin with access to magic!

“So, I had a plan. For months I told James all about Redford Vale, and the odd things that happen here. I told him parts of what was needed for the ritual, withholding information I knew he couldn’t stomach—like the killing of an innocent. I also kept quiet about where to do the ritual, just to keep him busy while I went on killing.”

“And this ritual would be?” Becca asked.

“A summoning ritual,” James answered.

“You mean a demon?”

“Well…yes.” James sighed. “But a…good demon.”

“There aren’t any good demons!” Becca snapped. “That’s why they’re called demon!”

“This is true.” Christopher nodded. “But there are passive demons-- demons that aren’t all about the slaughter and the mayhem. They’re a **** to summon, though. I mean, Taskers are difficult to summon to begin with. But this? It’s a whole hoopla.”

“So why did you need me at all?” James asked. “I mean, you obviously didn’t know Lucas was the key. If you knew where the place was, why didn’t you just start the ritual alone?”

“C’mon James. You know the answer.” Christopher urged. “It’s right on the tip of your tongue.”

“He wanted to frame you.” Becca said. “If all the suspicion was focused on you, he could kill and then summon the demon without anyone bothering him.”

“I knew Jess would be good for something.” Christopher said. “She was all fussy over you moving into apartment 4D. She kept her eyes on you, and convinced pretty much everyone else to do the same. Besides, nobody would suspect a sixteen year old of going on a murder spree. Don’t you watch the movies? Well…of course you do. You just love them, don’t you, James? That’s why you’re the perfect fall guy! All the evidence is right there! You moved in two days after two tenants are murdered; you act all suspicious and secluded from everyone else in town; and you’re taking care of two kids when it’s clear you aren’t a suitable guardian. Not to mention this little werewolf situation you’ve got going on. They’ll know you’re a dabbler. They’ll assume you’ve been sending Nick after everyone to kill. After all, nobody’s lived long enough to actually see this demon! And those who have are going to be dead soon anyway. Sorry, Becca.”

“What about Nelson” Becca asked. She had tears strolling down her cheeks. “He saw the demon. And he’s still alive.”

“That was tricky.” Christopher admitted. “I hoped he was the key. I stabbed him once we were all alone—you know, the night we were studying for history? Well, he had zero magical potential. I figured I would just feed him to the demon. But I decided to have a little fun, instead. Besides, memory spells aren’t exactly difficult. He’s been under my manipulation ever since. Everyone will assume he was working for James. I mean, he looks like a killer, doesn’t he? He has the anger, and all that ‘nobody likes me, I’m so alone’ whiny thing going for him. Trust me, Blaze won’t be a problem.”

“So. You planned to perform the ritual, frame me, and…what? Kill me?” James laughed.

“Not me. I’ll just send the Tasker after you. Everyone will assume Nick was the one responsible. After all, werewolves are pretty tricky to keep a handle on.”

“And you?” Becca asked.

“Simple: I’ll perform the ritual, get my little wish granted—you know, become all-powerful, and what not-- and be on my merry way. Everyone will assume I was killed anyhow. I’ll just lay low for a bit, admire my work from afar, and come back at full strength. By the time anyone figures they’ve fingered the wrong guy, I’ll be damned near impossible to stop. Cool, huh?”

“And you’re just going to kill your best friend?” Becca cried. “You’re just fine with killing people you’ve known for years?”

Christopher shrugged. “Yea, sure. I feel bad about killing Luc. I really did like him, to tell you the truth. I just figured the endless amount of power I would get in the end would just make me feel better. I mean, I’m not totally heartless. I did leave him alone with his little crush. It’s not my fault he didn’t make a move fast enough.”

Lucas started squirming.

“Hang on there, little buddy,” Christopher said. “I can’t have you slip on the knife and die right now. The ritual hasn’t started yet. Which reminds me,” Christopher dragged Lucas over to the stone altar at the center of the antechamber. The stone altar was completely round, with the face of a demon carved into the middle. Christopher steadied Lucas’ head above the stone. “Sorry, kid. I hate the fact that it’s you. But, what can you do?”

“You could not kill him.” Becca suggested.

“Yup. Absolutely no alternative.” Christopher repeated. “Hold Luc for me, Roarky. I need both hands to begin.”

Roark wrapped his grimy, greying flesh around Lucas’ neck and kept him steady. Christopher walked around the altar, chanting words in Latin. While he did this, he slit both of his palms. He then switched to English. “’I summon he who hides in the shadows, he who cannot be summoned by mortal will. The passive; the neutral; he who will bring by greatest wish.’”

Christopher pressed a bleeding hand against the stone—the ground shook furiously.

“’I summon he who was old when man was new,’” Christopher continued, walking around the altar a second time. “’He who shall grant my heart’s desire; the thing I covet most.’”

He pressed his other hand to the altar, letting his blood soak over the stone.

“’And he, who hides in shadows, will come, because I so desire it. He will come and grant my wish. And I shall give him an offering. I shall grace him with the life, soul, heart and blood, of an unspoilt innocent—one who is pure in the ways of the old…’”

Roark handed Lucas over to his master.

“’And now,’” Christopher continued, steadying Lucas and pressing the knife up to the boy’s flesh. “’I give you this boy’s life…’”

The ground began to quake. The ceiling of the antechamber rumbled. From the tunnel James and Becca emerged from appeared a demon. The Tasker landed before Christopher and Roark, dead.

From the tunnel appeared a second figure—Jess Shalner.

“I have nothing clever to say.” She announced. “Let’s just get to the ass kicking.”
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
                                                                                         XVI

Appearing: Empress Goose as James Mason
                  : Darkcyclone as Nicolas Shaw
                  : King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw
                  : KitCloudKicker as Jess Shalner
                  : Crossoverfan as Christopher Leeds

“I’ll cut him here and now, ****!” Christopher snapped.

“Release!” Jess cried. Christopher and Lucas were separated by the force of Jess’ magic. A second wave sent Christopher flying across the room. The zombified Tobias Roark ran at Jess, only to be stopped by a falling rock that Jess had carved out from the ceiling. She then brandished a bloodied knife and tossed it at James, who caught it expertly. “I’ll deal with Christopher. You untie Lucas.”

The two moved in fluid motion: Jess, flying through the air, and James leaping over the crumpled demon corpse to untie his cousin. Becca fell to her knees. She was still conscious, but the weight of the entire situation was too much for her to take. Instead, she watched as Jessica and Christopher were engaged in battle, exchanging spells like true magicians. James had pulled off the gag that had been placed in Lucas’ mouth.

“James, I’m sorry!” Lucas cried. “I tried to stop the demon back at the house!”

“It’s fine. We’re gonna get you out of here.” James assured his cousin. “Becca, give me a hand!”

Becca crawled over to her friends and started undoing the ropes around Lucas’ legs. From the corner of her eye Becca caught the sight of Tobias Roark getting to his feet. “James, the zombie’s up!”

Without a moment’s thought, James turned around and leapt at Roark, hacking at the zombie without pause. He shouted back at Becca: “Once you untie him, I want you both to get out of here.”

“What about Nick!” Becca cried over her shoulder.

“I’ll fetch him!” James shouted. “Just get Lucas to safety!”

Roark leapt at James, ignoring the many wounds he now sported. “Zombies don’t got no blood dummy!” The creature shouted with amusement. “I’m going to eat the flesh right off your face, kid!”

James drove his blade into the monster’s esophagus.  “Not if there’s a knife in your throat!” He pulled the blade out and then pushed it back in; this time driving it deeper into the zombie’s neck. He continued to do so until the knife’s edge slit right through the back of the zombie’s head.

Becca had undone the ropes around Lucas’ legs. She undid the ropes around his arms and helped him to his feet. “We’ve got to go!” She said.

They ran towards the tunnel from which Jess emerged.

“No!” Christopher growled.

A sudden quaking through the earth brought down piles of rubble from the ceiling, blocking the east tunnel. Jess, who had been caught off guard by the shaking, was tossed aside like a rag doll. Christopher flew, quite literally, through the air; his arms stretched out to grab Lucas.

The warlock was met, face first, with a shield of energy and was thrown back by the force of the collision. Jess was back on her feet.

“Jess! I need a bit of help here!” James called, running from the now headless Tobias Roark.

Jess conjured two balls of flame and sent them hurling towards the zombie. The flames made contact with their target, and engulfed the zombie’s body. Roark’s cries could be heard from wherever the head had rolled off to, and his body began to flail about, no longer caring what happened to James Mason. It ran out through the western tunnel. The zombie disappeared.

Christopher got to his feet, looking rather annoyed. “I’ll be honest. I didn’t expect the witch to be here so soon.”

“There are people all over the school.” Jess said, triumphantly. “The cops, the fire department, and other warlocks and dabblers.”

Christopher frowned. “Damn fire alarm.”

The earth shook again, bringing down more rubble from above, and sealing the only other exit.

“I’m starting to get annoyed. I have a ritual to finish.”

“You aren’t going to finish your damn ritual, kid.” Jess snapped. “You’re finished.”

“Think so, huh?” Christopher grinned. He pulled out a small, crystal phial. Inside it was black dust. He threw the phial onto the stone floor of the cave. It cracked. The dust that it contained was released, and it began to take shape—similar to the Tasker, but thinner in build, and resembling a Minotaur. The creature was black from head to toe, with skin of ash. “Make-a-demon.” Christopher giggled. “Now for ages six and up.”

The demon lunged at Becca and Lucas. Christopher suddenly appeared in front of Jess, separating her from James and the kids. “Now, we dance.”

It was quite a scene to behold: a nineteen year old fending off an ash demon with nothing but a knife, while his younger cousin and the neighbour girl pelted the beast with rocks; meanwhile, Jess and Christopher—both adept in the supernatural—were putting all they had into the battle to ensure that the other was defeated. Jess focused on the elements—she threw fire, water, ice, and chunks of rock that lay about the antechamber at her attacker; Christopher summoned the darkest of energies from the ground, guaranteed to inflict great amounts of pain, and more difficult to deflect. Jess continued to fight off Christopher, but she was losing energy. Christopher, on the other hand, showed no signs of tiring.

The ash demon grabbed James’ arm mid-strike. James struggled to bring the blade down on the demon, but the creature was strong. The demon managed to disarm James within seconds. It cut James in the shoulder with his own knife.

James groaned in agony, but continued to fight on. He pulled the blade out of his shoulder, only to have the demon knock him to the ground with its massive arms. The rocks Becca and Lucas tossed at the beast did no damage whatsoever. So while James lay on the ground, clinging to consciousness, the demon turned and stared at the children. It sprinted towards Lucas. Becca stood in front of her friend in the hopes that the demon would hit her. 

Lucas pushed Becca aside. The ash demon decked Lucas. It grabbed Lucas by the neck, and hoisted him into the air. Effortlessly, the demon walked over to the altar and bellowed at its master. Christopher roared in triumph, deflecting Jess’ spell; the force of the spell knocked Jess off her feet. Before Jess could recover, Christopher had appeared across the room. He now had Lucas squirming in his grip. The ash demon, no longer needed by its master, dissolved into a pile of black ash at Christopher’s feet.

“Where were we?” Christopher wondered aloud. “I believe it was...’and now, I give you this boy’s life!’”

Christopher’s blade plunged into Lucas’ chest, only just missing the heart. The warlock then pulled the blade out and pushed Lucas onto the stone altar. The blood of the sacrifice poured onto the demon seal. James, Jess and Becca stared in horror; all the while the antechamber shook with greater force than before. The ground split open, and the demon both James and Chris had sought to summon emerged.

He was a creature very different from the Tasker or the ash demon; worlds apart from the re-animated corpse that Tobias Roark had become. This demon had power emanating from every inch of its body. He was completely hairless, and looked as though his body was carved from molten rock. His body was muscular; a far cry from the heavyset demons that the group had seen previously. The creature towered over every other soul in the room. The ground seemed to boil beneath him, and the air around him crackled.

“D’haffar.” Leeds greeted.

The demon spoke with a surprisingly soft voice. “You are quite brave to summon me, Christopher Leeds. Few have succeeded. Present to me your sacrifice, and I shall grant your request.”

“No!” James shouted. “Don’t take Lucas. Take me!”

“I require the life of an unspoilt innocent.” The demon replied, evenly. “You are not a suitable sacrifice. Magical blood has been spilt; magical blood will be what is given.”

Christopher bowed. “Sire, I present you with your sacrifice.”

The demon stepped up to the altar. He dipped a long finger into Lucas’ blood and licked it. After a moment he nodded. “This sacrifice will do.”

“No! Christopher, don’t do this!” James begged.

“It would be silly to stop now, Jimmy.” Christopher said, smiling. “I mean, this guy came a long, long way to be here tonight.” He turned to the demon. “Sire, enjoy.”

James was about to protest, but stopped. Instead he started laughing.

Christopher frowned at what he believed to be a man who had completely snapped. “I’ll bite. What’s so—ARGGH! Son of a ****!”

“Good doggy!” James cried. “Good boy, Nick! Chomp that sorry f*cker!”

Nicolas Shaw, having transformed while D’haffar had been summoned, now had his teeth buried deep into Christopher Leeds’ back. And the warlock flailed his arms about as best as he could, but was unable to shake off the beast. The werewolf pulled its head back, revealed its blood stained teeth, and bit into the side of Christopher’s neck. The boy’s eyes went wide with fear and pain, unable to scream as the werewolf severed his vocal chords. Christopher’s knees buckled underneath the weight of Nicolas’ newly transformed body.

D’haffar simply looked on with interest, not offering the slightest bit of help to the boy that summoned him. The werewolf detached itself from its victim—carrying a large chunk of flesh in its mouth—and ran towards fresher meat. Jessica, regaining her strength, was prepared. A loose rock fell right on top of Nicolas, knocking him unconscious.

Christopher lay in a heap before the demon, struggling to form words. He gasped; he spluttered; he spat out blood. But he couldn’t utter a complete sentence. He couldn’t voice his wish to the demon. The life from Christopher Leeds was fading fast; a fact of which he was very much aware.

James stood above the boy who had brought so much trouble to the town of Redford Vale. In his hands he held a dagger. Christopher looked up at the man, helpless as James dragged him over to the altar. James gently lowered Lucas’ body onto the floor—his heart no longer beating—and threw the warlock onto the seal. James turned to the demon and echoed the words Christopher had spoken earlier: “And now, I give you this boy’s life!”

James plunged the knife into Christopher’s chest, cutting through the boy’s poor excuse for a heart.

Christopher, no longer capable of producing sounds, blinked at the dagger jutting out of his chest. Within seconds his soul left his body. He lay on the altar, dead.

James looked back at D’haffar. “Well?”

The demon sighed. “You did not summon me. The Leeds boy offered me the life of your cousin.”

“And I just offered you Leed’s life.” James retorted. “What of it?”

“You demand a request.”

“Bring my cousin back.” James sobbed. “You can do it, can’t you?”

The demon frowned at the body of Lucas Shaw. “It is not impossible. Unorthodox, but not impossible. If that is what you desire…”

“Yes. Of course. Just…just bring Lucas back to life. Please.”

“It shall be done. The life and blood of Christopher Leeds shall be accepted as a suitable sacrifice—being both adept in magic and unspoilt. In exchange, I call back the life and soul of Lucas Shaw to its earthly vessel.”

Lucas’ body stirred to life. His eyes opened. He blinked. “What just happened?”

James lunged at his cousin, embracing him tightly. Becca joined a mere second afterwards. Even Jess shed tears of relief and joy at the sight.

“Seriously, guys…what the hell just happened?!” Lucas demanded.

“James Mason Park.” The demon spoke, suddenly.  “I have fulfilled your request. Know now that you may not summon me again.”

“What? Oh…Sure. Fine. Whatever. Thank you!” James cried.

The demon was swallowed up by the earth and disappeared from sight. The ground looked as though it had never opened to begin with.

“I’m done with caves, if you ask me.” James said, helping his cousin to his feet. “I’m thinking once the sun comes up and Nick is less hairy, we all go for breakfast.”

“But…I have school.” Lucas said.

“Hey, they’ll just have to do without you for a day.” James grinned. “Just tell them that you recently got over a case of being dead.”
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I just finished reading this, and oh man, this is a great story!  You've got a very descriptive writing style, and you've really nailed all the characters as far as I can tell.  Especially Tobias haha.  And it's got just the right mix of supernatural and realistic, I love these sorts of stories.

'Episode One'?  *waits eagerly for sequels*

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »
                                                                                       XVII 
Appearing: King Hyrule as Lucas Shaw

Author's Note: This is the final chapter of this story. Special thanks to all those who have read, and more thanks to those who took the time to review. It makes me smile. I used the names of these characters without permission of those involved. Hopefully none of them mind. This chapter turned out, in my opinion, better than the first draft, which was just James' explanation of why he moved to Redford, and how Nicolas Shaw became a werewolf. In this chapter I pretend to be all in-depth and analytical about the human condition :P Enjoy, and once again: thanks!
--Goose.
PS: The story, and any sequels that may follow, are meant to be read like a TV Show. Not like a TV show script, per se. But a show is how I imagined it all set up. That's mostly why I've added the "Appearing" at the beginning of each chapter. Imagine them all together in a sort of opening/end credits.
PPS: This is the first story I've started and finished; with something close to an original plot, and not about the Animorphs in the slightest. I was inspired, however, by Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___

October had arrived, and Lucas Shaw was hoping to start the new month with a sort of optimism that had been lacking in September. Though, that is not to say that he had completely gotten over the events that took place down in the cave—which had been sealed up and kept hidden by Mike Phoenix and the dabblers, to prevent other students from stumbling upon its devious secrets. It took time for Becca, Lucas and Nicolas, as well as all those involved, to come to terms with what had happened; and it would take longer, still, to completely recover-- if such a recovery was even possible. It was difficult to look over the fact that the mastermind behind the killings in Redford Vale was Lucas’ best friend.

There was a quaint little park next to one of the elementary schools in town—Pritchard Elementary School. Lucas, having woken up around 6:00 in the morning and unable to go back to sleep decided to wander the halls of the Finch Building. He ran into a restless Becca, who suggested the two go for a walk.

“Where are we going?” Lucas asked, buttoning up his coat. The summer warmth had long since passed; winter seemed to be coming early.

“I don’t really know.” She said with a half-laugh. “I figured we’d just walk.”

They exited the Finch building. There weren’t many people awake at 6:00 in the morning on a Saturday. Neither of them was surprised. The ignorant slept long and well. Lucas couldn’t remember what it was like to have a peaceful night’s sleep. He envied those people in town, still in denial about what had happened in Redford Vale the previous month; those who didn’t have to dream about their best friend stabbing them in the back—in two different ways.

“You ready for the test on Monday?” Lucas asked.

“Which test?” Becca sighed.

“No clue. I just figured we’d have a test to study for.” He looked up at Becca. “You know, normal stuff.”

“I don’t remember normal, much.” Becca replied. “All I know is that I rather enjoyed it.”

“Same.” Lucas agreed. “So, how do we get back to it?”

“Beats me.”

They walked on in silence. All that could be heard was the shaking of the leaves on the trees, and the song of the blackbirds. He actually found it rather peaceful. Nature was good; it was pure. The nipping of the wind would have bothered Lucas over a year ago, but now it only made him appreciate the beauty around him.

“The weather’s nice.” Lucas commented. “A bit cold, but nice.”

“Redford looks nice around the winter.” Becca said. “Mostly around Christmas. After January, the snow just gets all hard and black.”

“We got that back in Toronto.” Lucas nodded.

Another short pause. Then: “What was it like?”

“A bit like now, honestly.” Lucas told her. “Quiet. Cool.”

“I didn’t mean Toronto.”

“I know what you meant.” He said, stopping to face her. “I could tell you’ve all wanted to ask.”

“It’s just something we’ve been wondering. Don’t get upset.”

“I’m not.” Lucas sighed. “No. I’d probably ask you if the situations were reversed.”

They continued walking. Becca felt the conversation was too delicate fort the moment. She decided to change the topics.

“Were you ever going to tell me about Nicolas?”

“Listen, I wanted to tell you things.” Lucas assured her. “It’s not like I purposely dawned this little air of mystery to win over people. I want to tell you things like what life was like in Toronto, but then I’d have to mention my family. And my family…We’re not normal. And that’s not just because of the whole Nick being a werewolf thing.”

There was another period of silence. By now Lucas and Becca had come across the park by Pritchard Elementary. Lucas stepped across the large sand box and took a seat at one of the swings. Becca followed him, taking the place of the swing right next to him.

“We found the werewolf that did it.” Lucas said, finally. “The one that bit Nick? James tracked him down about three months after the fact. Not too long after my parents were killed.”

Becca waited for him to continue. Now wasn’t the time to interrupt.

“We were being secretive about it all. James said we’d have to. He told us that he’d be able to fix it. So we kept everyone else in the dark. And he did a decent job of it for a long while. And he kept saying things like, ‘I’m close to figuring it out. It shouldn’t be much longer.’ But he wasn’t. He knew it; I knew it. The only person who didn’t have a clue was Nick. Nick’s pretty hopeful when it comes to hopeless things like that.

“My dad was just tired of the whole secrecy thing, though.” Lucas continued. “He didn’t get why I was hanging around my cousin so much. So, he and my mom followed us on one of the night that Nick was transformed.”

Becca couldn’t stop herself: the horrified expression on her face, and the “Oh God…” the followed was beyond her control.

James of course felt like it was all his fault. He always blames himself. So when he found out that the guy that bit Nick a pretty much screwed us all over lived in the same city, he hunted the man down and killed him. It’s not hard to find a werewolf after the night of a transformation. James found the guy lying in the woods, waited for the guy to come to, and shot him in the head with a silver bullet. After that we got good at lying low.”

Becca simply offered Lucas a sympathetic look. She had words, of course, but they were impersonal and typical when hearing someone vent—the “I’m so sorry,” and “sounds rough.” The look of sympathy was the best she could give her friend at the time. Sometimes there’s more power in a look than there is a well written sentence.

“I want to thank you, again, for saving my life.”

Lucas laughed. “I wasn’t just going to let you die.”

“No. But you didn’t stop either. Even when it looked like that demon was going to kill you, you put your life on the line to save me. If it weren’t for you…”

“I would’ve done it all the same way.” Lucas told her. “I don’t regret any of it.”

“You died that night.” She reminded him. “What if you couldn’t come back?”

Lucas shrugged. “I guess it wouldn’t have been so bad. I mean, it wasn’t all that bad, to be honest.”

“Were you…you know. There?”

“I don’t really know.” He admitted. “But it was quiet. A good kind of quiet, I mean. And cool. Kinda like right now.” He smiled up at Becca. “Maybe I was here that whole time.”

“In Redford?”

“No. Here at this park.” Lucas said. “Here on this swing, in the fall. With all the leaves changing, but not falling just yet. When it’s cool, but not too cold that you can’t go out. Maybe I was sitting here at the park the whole time. That moment I remember back in the cave, when I…you know, left…This is the closest thing to that.”

“Sounds nice.”

“But this isn’t all that bad either.” Lucas grinned. “I’m still glad to be here. Even if I wasn’t out of it for very long.”

“Even if you have to go to school on Monday?”

Lucas thought about that. “Will you guys be there?”

Becca smiled and nodded.

“Well, as long as I’m not going it alone.”

The walk back to Finch was quiet. It wasn’t silent. Conversation was made—trivial things like school, Romeo and Juliet, and Nelson Pryor’s cast were discussed. But the overall tone was quiet; something close to peace.

They had reached the fourth floor, and were about to walk into their respective apartments. Lucas hesitated at the door.

“He can’t know, Becca.” He said. “He isn’t ready to know what he did.”

“I won’t tell a soul.” She promised.

Lucas nodded. He opened the door to 4D.

Credits Roll
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:50:27 AM by Empress Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Pyrrhian

• Still Alive!
Re: Modtropolis (Episode One): Welcome to Redford Vale [Complete]
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
Very nice! Can't help but be reminded of the Buffy series in a good way!
I'm doing science and I'm ...

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
Re: Modtropolis (Episode One): Welcome to Redford Vale [Complete]
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »
Also agree too. The writing is really nice and your story seems very focused. The way the characters are portrayed, their behaviours and how they're seen are quite accurate too. (Excepting, the antagonists who are obviously that way for the story.)

Good work Goose!
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"