Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29480 times)

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
This is awesome, I hope you keep writing. :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
Thanks all, for the lovely comments!  You guys are awesome.

Cloaky: Pootang was actually before my time, as well.  Or, maybe he was born during one of my hiatuses, I can't quite recall, but in the end they both amount to the same thing.

Rad: Keep in mind that these characters are the actual human RAFians turned into their characters, not the characters themselves.  So, this Bear has never been infested by a Goa'uld (to the best of my knowledge).

P.S. I just realized that I forgot a name conversion: Jess = Kit Cloudkicker.  I'll probably add all of those to the first post anyhow.

P.S.S. It's occurring to me that this story is getting darker and darker as I write it, and I'm not even into the thick of the plot yet.  So, fair warning.  You want a happy story, probably better find a different fic.  You've been warned.

Onto the next chapter!

Chapter Five

Before they left the cavern, it suddenly occurred to Dino, with a bit of a nasty start, that she hadn't been keeping track of her two-hour limit.  She quickly demorphed back to her full size, and remorphed again to her smaller size.  Not that it would have been so terrible to be trapped as a human-sized dinosaur, but it was still scary to think that Dino could have so easily lost the powers that she had so recently gained.  Fortunately, Tony was wearing a watch, and made note of the time when Dino shrank again.

Cloaky stayed behind to guard Pootang, while the rest of them started climbing back up the massive flight of stairs to the surface.  It didn't take long for Seal to start complaining of the difficulty of clambering up stairs with her flippers, to which Tony quickly relented and picked her up.  Dino was slightly jealous that she didn't have hands with which to carry her, because the white fluffy Seal looked incredibly cuddly in Tony's arms, like a living stuffed toy.

<So, did anybody have any plans after this?> Bear inquired, idly making conversation.

"I'm probably going to head back to Intro Rando," Seal said.  "Blaze and Ghost probably still could use a hand keeping those robots away from RAF."

<Don't we have slightly more pressing concerns here, than wasting energy fighting a bunch of imaginary enemies?> Terenia asked impatiently.  <We could be doing something useful, like helping to look for Anna.  Something needs to be done about that thing down there, we can't just ignore it and hope it'll go away.>

Seal looked hurt.  ". . . I know.  It's just, it's so much easier to worry about imaginary threats, when there's nothing we can do about the real ones."

<Yanno, aren't they all imaginary threats?> Bear wondered.  <I mean, none of this could possibly be real, could it?>  Dino nodded in agreement, having been thinking the same thing.

"Hey, you're a hypocrite, Terenia," Tony shot back.  "When we found you, you and Bear were just hanging out at the GESB, drinking punch!"

<It's his body, not mine,> Terenia sniffed.  <I'm not the boss of him.  It's already plenty creepy enough just being in his head.  I'm not about to start acting like a Yeerk, too.>

<You know, guys,> Bear interjected quickly, changing the subject to try to keep the peace, but also because he didn't like being reminded of Terenia's role in his brain.  <It's probably a good thing for Seal to stay in Intro Rando.  That way she'll be honing her skill with her powers.  Just sayin'.>

"Yeah!" Seal agreed, grabbing onto the explanation that Bear had offered as she nodded enthusiastically.  "That's what I'm doing.  I'm honing my skills.  Not wasting time fighting imaginary threats.  Honing."

Terenia kept quiet after that, apparently satisfied with that answer.  But Dino was worried.  She didn't like it when her friends were on edge, even when they had good reason to be.  And although she knew it was only the stress of their situation that was making Terenia snap at Seal like that, it still made her nervous.

They climbed up the stairs in silence for a while, accompanied only by the sounds of their own labored breathing.  They were all thinking about what to do next, where to go from here.  The five RAFians' thoughts were quite remarkably similar, as they silently pressed onward.

It was an interesting conundrum.  On the one hand, what RAFian hasn't wished to be able to visit RAF?  A part of each of them wanted to celebrate.  They were actually on RAF!  As of today, they were true RAFians.  In at least some small part of each of their minds, they just wanted to visit every board, explore and play.

But another part felt guilty for that happiness, when dangers lurked under the surface.  Pootang may have been the most legendary of RAF's dark secrets, but he was not the only one.  What else might be hidden in some dark corner of the forum, waiting to be found?  And if this was all truly real, then the exact thing that everyone was so happy about, would be their undoing, too.  Because if it was real, then all of their lives, and the lives of the ones they cared about, could be at stake.

But then again, what were they even thinking, 'if it was real.'  It couldn't be.  It was ludicrous.  Completely and utterly impossible.  People did not just get sucked into computers like some kind of real-world Matrix.  It would require technology far beyond anything the world had ever seen.  It was simply so much more likely that it was all just a dream.  So why worry one way or the other?  Just wake up, and everything will be back to normal, for better or for worse.

After a while, without even realizing it, the five of them had reached the surface, where the glass elevator-ship still waited for them.  They climbed aboard, and Tony was about to press the button for Intro Rando when Seal finally broke the silence.

"Wait . . . I think maybe Terenia was right, maybe I better focus on other things," she said with a sigh.  "Besides, those robots were pushovers anyhow."

<Are you sure?> Terenia asked, a twinge of guilt in her thought-speak voice.  <Bear was right, it might be good for you to practice.>

"Nah, I'm sure," Seal said.  "Let's just go back to the main forum-place.  Home page.  You know what I mean."  Tony pressed the button for 'Exit,' and the stars zoomed past as they silently flew through space.

"I keep hoping that Richard will log on," Seal added wistfully.  "Seems like maybe he'd know what to do.  And, even if not, well, he's Richard.  Surely he can defeat Pootang, if anybody could."

There was a pause, and then Bear let loose a low but threatening growl, catching everyone by surprise.  <Okay, okay!  I'll tell them!> Terenia said defensively.  <I still don't think it's a good idea but->  Bear growled again.  <Fine.>

<First off, this stays between the five of us,> Bear began.  <Or if you tell anybody, make darn sure it's someone you absolutely trust not to spread it around.  If any of this gets out to the forum at large, there'll be mass panic.  The only thing that's keeping a lot of the newbies from completely losing it, is the hope that the big bad Richard's gonna come riding to the rescue.  So, therefore->

"Get on with it already!" Tony said tersely, unable to take the suspense.

<It's occurred to us, that, at least to the best of any of our knowledge, Richard has never actually claimed any sort of supernatural powers,> Bear said.  <Others have assumed it of him, because as the 'father of RAF' it would make sense, but he himself has never even implied that he was anything beyond an ordinary human.  What this means for us on the forum, I don't know, but->

"Wait, WHAT?!" Tony screeched.

"You mean to tell us that Richard could be- be- mortal?!" Seal exclaimed.

"And not only mortal but a completely average guy?!" Tony demanded.

<Not so loud,> Bear warned, because by now they were back at the door to the rest of the forum.  <But, yeah.  Richard could be a completely average guy.>
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:29:01 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

radgeek

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:14 PM »
*had a lot she was going to type out.  Then she read the last part*

:o

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
This could be similar to the ppotant situation, with multi version richard
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
Yes, it's true, we assume alot of Richard's powers and ability.

Oh, and having Tony hold Seal . . . it just puts me in mind of Misty and Togepi.  I'm sorry, but it does.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
Lol, that is exactly the reaction I was hoping for, Rad.  ;D

Blaze, the reason that happened to Pootang was because he isn't a user.  Richard is.

Huh, Cloaky, I hadn't thought about that, but you're right, it is a similar visual.

This is not directed at anybody in particular, but it has been worrying me crazy lately that somebody might accidentally guess some plot twist I have planned before I can write it.  I am deathly phobic of anything resembling spoilers, and the same goes for stories I'm writing where I don't want my readers to accidentally be informed of what might happen.  So if any of you ever happen to have speculations regarding where the story might be going?  Please, please PM them directly to me.  In exchange for keeping this in mind, you may be rewarded with previews of things to come (assuming you don't mind spoilers), or even a (larger) role in the story!

And, another random side-note, I'll be in New York for my sister's graduation for the next week or so.  I'll try to keep writing during that time so I'll have lots to post when I get back, but it's hard to know how busy I'll be.  So, fair warning, if you don't see another chapter by this time tomorrow, then I'm not going to have a new one up until next week.

Chapter Six

Still reeling from the mere suggestion of the possibility that Richard might be an ordinary mortal, the five RAFians left the glass ship and stood outside the buildings of RAF once more.  It was still an incredible sight, to see the so-familiar boards towering as gigantic structures above them, into the blue-grey sky above.  The sun, Dino noticed, was now nowhere to be seen.  Of course, she realized.  It hadn't been 'the sun' in the first place.  And Estelore couldn't really be expected to hang around in the same place in the sky all day.

The light that lit the main forum seemed to come from everywhere at once, but Dino could still feel that it was starting to get late.  She wasn't hungry, however, even though she knew she ought to be by now.  But then, maybe she really was just some digital file, stored somewhere within a computer's memory bank.  The mere thought of that made her a little uneasy.

There were several more RAFians milling about than there had been when Tony and Dino had passed this way before.  Most of them were human, presumably newbies and lurkers who had never registered their species.  They looked up at Dino and Bear with apprehension, nervously keeping their distance.

But then they noticed someone that seemed familiar.  She was apparently human, but clad in pirate attire, her skin a deathly pallor.  She turned, an odd, mechanical motion, and they could all see the vampiric fangs that protruded from her mouth.

"Gaz!" Seal shouted excitedly, bounding out of Tony's arms and towards the pirate.  "Did you just get here?  How are you?"

Gaz didn't move, didn't speak, just stood there, unresponsive.

"Gaz?  What's going on?" Tony asked urgently.

Seal poked her foot with a flipper, and still there was no reaction.  "Gaz?  Gaz!  What's the matter with you?"

After a moment, she responded in a robotic monotone.  "Why are you guys PMing me?"

Seal tilted her head in confusion.  "We're . . . not PMing you.  We're right here in front of you, talking to you.  What's wrong with you?"  Her voice had an edge of panic, worried that something truly terrible had happened to Gaz.  Seal couldn't even begin to think about something like that, not after everything she'd already been through today.

Again, there was a pause before Gaz spoke.  "Is this a game?" Gaz intoned mechanically.  "Is there some kind of event going on right now on RAF?  Why does nobody ever tell me these things?"  Then she made a sudden turn and rigidly walked off towards the General board, seeming to have forgotten that the other RAFians were standing right there.

The others chased after her, trying to figure out what was going on.  "Oh man, oh man, somebody brainwashed Gaz!" Seal cried.

<I don't think so.  It's like she's here, but at the same time she isn't here,> Bear commented as he loped along, easily keeping up with Gaz.  <Do you suppose . . . I dunno, but the way she's talking, it's like she's just logged into her computer, with no idea that the rest of us are actually inside the internet.>

Gaz marched mechanically towards the General board, and suddenly stopped as she arrived in front of the door.  She sharply turned back to face the others again, and, after a moment, asked, "Okay, I'll bite, what's going on?  Why are there so many posts today?"

"Gaz, listen carefully, because what I'm about to tell you is probably going to sound ridiculous," Seal began, giving the others a nervous look.  "We're all trapped inside the internet."

Another pause.  "What?" Gaz asked.  "Is this one of those roleplaying games?  I'm confused."

"No!" Seal shouted, impatient.  "This is real!  We're really here!"

". . . Okay, I think I get it," she said.  "Oh, it's a nice day on the forum, isn't it?"

"Rrrgh," Seal growled, quickly becoming frustrated that she couldn't make Gaz understand.  "This is not a roleplay.  We are in the internet.  RAF is a real place, and we are here.  Me and Dino and Tony and Terenia and Bear.  Tell her, guys!"

<Yep, pretty much what the seal said,> Bear agreed.

<Gaz, listen, it's true.  We're really here,> Terenia added.

". . . I'm sorry, you're just not making any sense.  You realize that isn't possible, right?" Gaz asked.

"We know it isn't possible, but it's happening anyway!" Tony put in.

". . . Look, guys, you're starting to scare me," Gaz said.

"GOOD!" Seal yelled at her, her voice breaking slightly with emotion.  "Because we're scared, too!"

Gaz paused again, her unblinking stare unnerving as they waited for her to respond.  "I don't know.  I just don't know.  I want to believe you guys, but this is an awful lot to take in.  This just seems like it has to be some kind of trick."

Seal massaged her forehead with her flipper, thinking hard for a way to prove that they were really there, but coming up with absolutely nothing.  If everything they did or said just showed up on Gaz's computer as nothing but a message, then how could they hope to prove their own predicament to her?

"Guys, don't freak out or anything, but I'm logging off.  It's late, and I need time to think," Gaz said.

"Gaz, wait, don't leave!" Seal implored, but it was too late, and Gaz had vanished in the blink of an eye, leaving Seal talking to empty air.

<What was that all about?> Bear wondered.  <Why didn't Gaz get pulled into the internet the way the rest of us did?>

<You suppose maybe they finally got whatever Swiss thing that was malfunctioning fixed?> Dino considered.  <You know, that teleport thing that was sucking people into the internet in the first place?  If they got that fixed, then anybody who logged in afterwards wouldn't be affected, right?  So, they might be completely unaware of what was going on, like Gaz.>

"Swiss thing?" Seal asked.  "What Swiss thing?"

"There was an article about some researchers in Switzerland, who were working on a device to teleport people through the internet.  We figured, this has gotta be related to that," Tony explained.

<Yeah, I was the one who sent you two that article,> Bear noted.  <To be honest, I thought it was a prank at first.>

<Yeah, so did I,> Dino added.  <Heh, no wonder Gaz doesn't believe it either.>

"She'll come around," Seal assured herself.

Meanwhile, in her room, Gaz stared at her computer in puzzlement.  Although none of it made any sense, there had been a feeling of urgency to what her friends had told her.  While, yes, she knew that RAFians in general liked to joke around about things, and sometimes they all could act remarkably serious when they had a running gag going, somehow this was different.  It really seemed like they had been in distress.  And surely they wouldn't play a joke like this, when it would make her worry this much about them.

Gaz sighed, and turned off her computer, feeling a twinge of guilt as she did so.  But she had work to do in the morning, and it was already late.  So she just had to hope that it was some kind of game after all, and try her best not to worry about it until tomorrow.  She turned out the lights, and fitfully tossed and turned as she tried to sleep.  She promised herself that she would get to the bottom of this, as soon as she was able, and with that thought in mind she finally lost consciousness.

Back on RAF, Dino had separated from the others in the Social board.  From the inside, Social looked like an enormous dorm or hotel, with spacious hallways wide enough to easily accommodate Dino's full size.  The large, cozy common room displayed pictures of various RAFians and their pets, with maps tacked up with pictures from past real-world RAFtrips.  On a pedestal at the front, was a map engraved in black marble, showing the locations of the various members' profile threads.  Dino quickly found her own room on the display, and headed in that direction.  She padded down the wide hallway towards what looked like the opening of a cave, which she knew to be her lair.

Dino's lair was sparsely decorated, but well-lit by flickering warm lights that gave the cave a pleasant evening glow.  Her 'bed' was a resting couch of Dinotopian design, a long, hammock-shaped padded pedestal contoured to fit her stomach.  She settled into the velvet lining, and it snugly supported her as she curled up like a roosting bird, her legs hanging off the sides.  Apparently there was a pressure switch within the bed itself, because the lights dimmed as she settled into it.

She sighed heavily, thinking about everything that had happened that day.  Had it really only been just one day?  Being dragged into Facebook and RAF, meeting the other RAFians, seeing Pootang, and then Gaz, all of that didn't feel like it could have happened in only the span of twenty-four hours.

Dino thought about the encounter with Gaz, and sighed again to expel the tension she felt.  She didn't like being reminded that there might still be a real world out there, outside the internet.  Did her parents know where she was?  Did anybody?  How could Gaz not have known what was going on?  Surely this many disappearances would have made the news.  Or, was it somehow being kept a secret?  And how?

Dino's thoughts became more and more jumbled as she drifted off to sleep, eventually turning to nightmares of haunting fractured screams.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:03:13 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »
This is pretty amazing writing.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Enter RAF
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »
Oh no! I've been brainwashed. That seems to happen to me a lot....not sure what to think about that. Lol.

Great story!

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
This=awesome.

That's all there is to say.  ^_^
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Chapter Seven

The next morning, Dino slowly roused back to consciousness, her mind fuzzy from half-remembered dreams.  There were a lot of blurry recollections about RAF, and Pootang, and . . . come to think of it, had that all been a dream?  None of it was fading into her subconscious to be blearily forgotten, the way dreams normally did.  Instead, the events she recalled seemed to be growing stronger in her mind as she awoke, not weaker.

And, even weirder, Dino felt somehow . . . off.  As though she weren't completely . . . human.

With a sudden jolt of adrenaline, Dino was totally awake.  She looked around her cave, everything suddenly coming back to her like a tidal wave of information.

Hesitating, half-wanting to close her eyes as though that would block out the truth of what she was seeing, she looked down at her own body.

<Yeaaah!> she yelled out in shock as she jumped to her feet, her unfamiliar weight nearly throwing her off-balance as she did so.  <Oh god oh god,> she groaned, as she realized that whatever was going on, it had now gone on much too long to be a dream.  It was real.

She shook her head, not wanting to deal with any of it.  Pootang, and the imminent threat he posed to everyone.  Richard, who was perhaps nothing more than an ordinary human, who would need the protection of the rest of RAF rather than vice versa.  Her friends, the RAFians, whose lives could be at stake.  Her family, who might not even know where she was . . .

Dino pushed all that out of her mind as she stalked down the hallway.  The Bored Board.  That's where she was headed.  She knew that was the wrong thing to do, knew there was so much else that needed to be dealt with, but she just needed to believe some fleeting illusion that nothing was wrong.

She walked out of the Social Board, blinking as her eyes readjusted to the harsher light of the main forum, and headed for Bored.

As Dino's eyes adjusted again to the darkness inside the Bored building, she saw an arcade, filled with old-fashioned video game podiums.  The spacious area was darkened to lend more effect to the brightly colored flashing lights that lit the place.  Off to one side of the room was a vending machine, its coin slot large enough to easily accommodate a two-by-four, and surrounded by joints and gears which made it apparent that it could expand to fit other things.  Around the machine was a quite respectable pile of . . . well, everything.  Everything from rubber duckies to kitchen sinks, and everything in between.

Dino spotted movement closer to the door where she was, and saw two RAFians playing at one of the consoles.  She recognized Steph, but didn't know the other person who was playing the game, a man dressed in a dark-colored suit coat and a blue tie.  The object of the game seemed to be to shoot at numbers as they scrolled across the screen, the numbers increasing as the game went on.

"C'mon, Steph, keep up!" the man said in a musingly impatient British accent, as he yanked back and forth on the joystick.  "I know I have the advantage here, but I would have expected better from you."

He started slightly as he noticed Dino standing there, looming above him in the colorful darkness.  "Oh, hey Dino, it's you!" he sighed with relief as he realized who she was.  "You want to play?"

Steph, on the other hand, didn't even seem to notice Dino at all.  Now that Dino was looking closer at her, she noticed that Steph's movements were oddly rigid, moving the joystick almost robotically as she seemed to automatically lock onto her on-screen targets.

"I'm really here, but Steph isn't," the man explained.  "It's Aquilai, by the way," he mentioned, introducing himself.

<Wait, do you honestly mean to tell me that she stayed off the internet all day yesterday?> Dino asked incredulously.

"Of course I've been online!" Steph said, speaking up, but keeping her eyes on the console screen.  "What, with everything that's been going on?  You honestly think I would miss this?"

"What do you mean, anyway?" Aquilai asked.  "What does her being or not being online have to do with her being an outerworlder?"

<Outerworlder?> Dino asked.

"People have been calling them innerworlders and outerworlders," Aquilai said.  "Inners and outers for short.  You and I are inners, as in, inside the internet.  Steph is an outer."

<Ah, okay,> Dino said, nodding.  <Well, Gaz is an outerworlder, too.  We all assumed that it was because she hadn't logged in while the Swiss teleportation program was malfunctioning, and then we thought they must have gotten it fixed.  But I guess not.>

"That could be true, actually," Steph mentioned, never looking away from the game.  "I haven't seen any new innerworlders today.  And it's pretty easy to spot the inners because you guys are the ones posting like crazy!"

<Besides you, you mean,> Dino said.

"I assumed that was implied," Steph replied.

<So, then, how did you end up an outer?> Dino wondered.

"Hmm," Aquilai hummed thoughtfully, taking a moment to think.  "I bet that teleportation program that the Swiss came up with must've taken a lot of memory space to run.  And, storing a human consciousness as data would require bloody ridiculous amounts of storage space, assuming it's even theoretically possible at all.  Of course, given our circumstances, it would seem that it is."

<Yeah,> Dino agreed.  <Oh, I think I see what you're getting at.>

"So, Steph," Aquilai began, "did you ever log into an actual computer yesterday, or did you only use your phone?"

There was a pause as she considered.  "Just my phone, why?"

"I doubt your phone would have enough space to run a teleportation program, or store your consciousness," Aquilai said matter-of-factly.  "That's what must have protected you."

"Protected?  My foot," Steph said.  "You say that like I wouldn't want to be actually on RAF."

Aquilai and Dino gave each other a knowing look.  They both were thinking how hard it must be to understand what it was like, from the perspective of one looking into this world from the outside.  It would be so easy to think that being actually inside the internet would be the most amazing thing ever.  And admittedly, in some ways it was pretty cool.  But people like Steph and Gaz seemed to be totally blind to the dangers lurking deeper beneath the surface.

Their thoughts were suddenly interrupted by an unfamiliar thought-speak voice.  <Hey.  Hey.  Is it working?> the voice asked.  <Can everybody hear me?  Okay then.  This is a modified mirror-wave call, targeted to RAFians.  So, everybody should be able to hear this.  Anyway, this is Estrid.  The staff want everybody in the Media Board in half an hour.  We're having a meeting, and all RAFians will be expected to attend.  Outerworlders too.  We have a lot of things that we need to discuss.  Media Board.  Half an hour.  Over and out.>

"Huh, that was different," Aquilai commented.  "I wasn't the only one who heard that, right?"

"I got a PM from Estrid," Steph said.  "Is that what you're talking about?"

<Yeah, I heard it,> Dino affirmed distantly.  She felt a strange swell of optimism at Estrid's message, a sudden sense of purpose, the promise of an official meeting already putting her mind at ease.   The message was a reminder that she wasn't alone in all this, that there was a whole forum of people all around her that she considered her friends.  And surely, one of them, would know what to do.

Offline Sakki

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Guuuuuuurrrlll
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
*sits quietly and waits for an update* ?o?

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
Man I love this. I've probably been fighting the robots for 15 hours straight

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
Chapter Eight

After playing a few rounds of counting games to kill some time, Dino followed Steph and Aquilai towards the Media Board, where groups of other members were already accumulating as they filtered into the building.

The three of them ventured curiously inside, to find a huge open space like a theatre or an amphitheatre, which was mirrored on all sides by dozens more such spaces, all interconnected to one another, like a rising and falling cratered landscape of ordered risers and chairs.  Each section was delineated from the others by the direction of the chairs, each swath of seats facing towards a central low spot.  Some areas faced towards podiums, others towards projection screens.  The whole place was generally well-lit, and had the feel of a gigantic lecture hall.

It was easy to spot the theatre area where everyone was gathering, the other spaces feeling oddly empty by contrast to that one crowded spot.  Dino began to morph to her smaller size as she approached, Aquilai agreeing to keep track of time.

It was almost like seeing a zoo up close, but without the cages and fences separating the visitors from the animals.  Humans milled about, the newbies and lurkers easily spotted by their obvious discomfort with the situation, while the more experienced human RAFians seemed almost comfortable as they made conversation even with some of the more unconventional species.  A brightly-colored macaw perched on the back of a chair, idly chatting with a Canadian goose.  Bear stood off to the side of the room, looking awkward and hesitant.  A red fox entered the room, gave Bear a friendly look, and trotted over towards him.

And even stranger, were the species that no human had ever seen before.  A Caterpie and a Mew were casually making conversation, Mewmorpher's gestures mildly amusing as she spoke.  A Pemalite laughed, hyena-like, at a joke that one of the humans had told.  Several Andalites were scattered at random throughout the room, engaged in conversation with various other RAFians.  Although Dino had already seen one Andalite at the GESB, it struck her how incredible it was to see actual Andalites brought to life, so graceful and alien, yet so familiar.

<Dino!> one of the Andalites called out, waving as she made her way towards Dino.  <It's Noelle!  How are you doing?>

<Oh, hey, Noelle!> Dino responded cheerfully.  <I'm doing pretty good, all things considered!  It's a relief to have some semblance of order around here, I'm glad they called this meeting.>

<I know,> Noelle agreed.  <I was starting to feel like nobody had any idea what was going on.>

<I know!> Dino echoed back.  <Well, technically we still don't know much about what's going on.  But at least now it feels like we're going in the right direction, you know?>

<Yeah,> Noelle agreed.

Their conversation was interrupted when Gaz suddenly appeared in an empty seat next to them.  "Sorry if I'm late," she said.  "I wasn't logged on when Estrid's PM went out."

<You aren't late.  The meeting hasn't started yet,> Dino said.  <So, you believe us now?>

Gaz paused for a moment, then replied, "Yeah.  Sorry it took me as long as it did."

<Don't worry about it,> Noelle said warmly.  <It all takes some getting used to.>

Another group of humans wandered into the building, and Dino recognized Tony.  Tony waved and came over, while the two girls he had been talking to followed.  One girl looked familiar, but it took Dino a moment to recognize her.

<Seal?> Dino wondered.  <Seal!  It is you!  Wow, I almost didn't recognize your human form!  Wait, that is really you, right?  You aren't DemonSeal or anything, are you?>

"No, thank goodness," Seal replied, making a face.  "So far, I've been able to keep her under control.  As for me, I have a device that can turn me human, remember?  I've used it in Intro Rando?  Being a seal was fun, but it's also good to be human again.  Sliding around everywhere on my stomach was getting old fast."  She made another face as she mentioned the last part.

"Hey Dino!" the other girl greeted as she approached.  "It's me, Rad."

<Oh, hey, Rad!> Dino answered, but then tilted her head wonderingly as a thought occurred to her.  <Hey, is Ma'at there, too?  How did the two of you, uh, turn out?>

"It's weird," Rad responded slowly.  "She's in my head right now, but . . . well, it's like we're the same person.  Only we're not.  We share memories, and I can see things from her perspective, and she from mine.  But I can think as her, and I feel like I'm a different person than when I think as myself.  It's . . . hard to explain."

Seal was nodding in agreement.  "Yeah, it's the same with me and DemonSeal.  She's me, but not me."

<Huh,> Dino commented, thinking out loud.  <I guess that makes some sense.  They're connected to your RAFsonas, but they're still characters.  So they come from your mind, but they're not quite you.  Interesting.>

It was apparently time for the meeting to start, because there was movement toward the front of the room, the staff members starting to gather into the central area.  A goomba led the way, shuffling almost comically on his too-short legs, while an Andalite that Dino guessed to be Estrid looked down awkwardly at him, as though slightly unsure whether it would be more polite to pick him up, or let him walk on his own.

Phoenix approached from the other side of the room, and now that Dino saw him in the light, his birdlike features were more apparent, reddish-orange phoenix feathers trailing from his arms.

A girl that Dino didn't recognize stepped forward to join the rest of them, shifting her weight somewhat awkwardly, as though uncomfortable in her own body.  Terenia, but in a different host, perhaps?  It had to be Terenia, she was the only staff member not already accounted for besides Richard.  And then that would explain why Bear had been acting so shy, given that he couldn't talk on his own.

"Yeerk!" somebody hissed at Terenia from the crowd, having realized the same thing that Dino had been able to guess.  "That body isn't yours!"

Terenia flinched, and then glared at the person who'd spoken, clearing her throat.  "This is Ash's body," she clarified, raising her voice to be heard over the dull noise of the crowd.  "And she's an outerworlder.  This isn't her real body, only her account."

That explanation seemed to have shamed the dissenting voice, because there was no reply after that.  The room fell silent again.

As the minutes ticked by, the murmur of the crowd slowly crept up in volume, as it became apparent that the staff were waiting for something.  The staff members each kept glancing towards the center of their group, as though expecting someone or something to appear.

Suddenly, in the space between Phoenix and Estrid, a tall man of apparently Caribbean descent popped into existence.  The effect on the crowd was almost immediate, all the conversations suddenly hushed.

"Is that . . . ?" a whisper went up nearby.

"Richard," another voice murmured.

Dino payed close attention to the man, looking for a sign that would tell her whether Richard was an innerworlder or an outerworlder.  Her heart sank, as she realized that he was barely moving as he stood there, his unblinking gaze focused emotionlessly on the crowd.  Richard was an outerworlder.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
Aw great.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
*Anxiously waits for more*