Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #21 The Threat  (Read 1994 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #21 The Threat
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
Synopsis
The newest Animorph has a secret. And it's not good....
Jake and the others are still trying to keep multiple world leaders out of Yeerk clutches. And Visser Three is ready for them. Then there's David. The new Animorph. He's having  trouble getting along with the others, and he's started breaking the rules. Jake isn't quiet sure what do with him. But now it's clear something has to be done: David's a traitor. David's a threat. David is a killer....

Questions
   1. The Animorphs infiltration efforts in this book use a new insect morph: the dragonfly. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a dragonfly to be like? How does it compare to the other insect morphs the Animorphs have used?

2. The Animorphs have made a point of not using their powers to steal, and when they do have to take, they pay it back later. What do you think of this practice? Admirable? Practical?

3. Upon discovering the Yeerks in the ballroom, Jake leaves them unharmed, saying "they'd be warned that we knew their plan. Besides, there was something wrong about killing defenseless slugs. I was pretty sure of that." What do you think of his decision in this case, considering what he's done in this situation other times (Books 6 & 53)?

4. What do you think of Visser Three's plans for obtaining the HOS in addition to trapping the Animorphs? What about Cassie's assessement of the Visser and his need to be at the heart of such an important scheme?

5. What about the Animorph plan of revealing the truth to the HOS one by one, in the middle of the proceedings? Could it have worked, or was it too ambitious?

6. What do you think about David's betrayal? Can you recall your initial reaction when it appeared Tobias had been killed by him, and his efforts to kill Jake?

7. How does Jake, as a leader, handle David? Are his methods of instilling authority affective? What alternatives would you suggest? What do you think of Jakes efforts to maintain trust with David, their confrontation at the end, and from his perspective in this book the order "Get Rachel"?

8. How would you have dealt with David after his first show of treason at the banquet hall? Most of the others came to the conclusion then that David went with the wind, but Jake insists they don't show any mistrust; what would your reaction be? How would deal with a traitor?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #22 The Solution

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #21 The Threat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
"I mean, did anyone ever read the Miss Spider books? Miss Spider's Tea Party..." <- Totally read that.

"Then we'd have to be ready to snatch the various world leaders as they were pushed toward us and convince them to play along. Despite the fact that most of them didn't speak English" <- Seriously? I get that they'd give speeches in their native languages and have people translate, but I think most heads of state of developed countries in the 1990s speak English.

Why do both this and 20 end with "falling" cliffhangers?  :P

Offline Oceanspray

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
1.  Was this morph used again?  I can't remember.  I am not an expert on dragonflies but I can assume any bug morph would be disorienting at first. 

2.  The notion is altruistic, the ani's are trying to maintain a degree of civility during a war.  IMO the ani's have already paid for the clothes they "steal" with their blood and effort.  They shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it.

3.  Tactical decision.  Kill a few enemies now or save many friendlies later.  I think he made the right choice (He didn't have much time to decide.  In hindsight he should have because they just trashed the place as elephants in the end.   That's hindsight for ya though.)

4.  Bold and aggressive move by the visser.  This was one of the last times K.A. got to have good character development for her antagonist before the ghostwriter era.

5.  Not the best plan.  A morph/demorph at a large meeting (one without controllers)  would get them a larger audience and be less shocking to the individual.  This plan was too time-sensitive and risky, especially knowing one of the HOS was a controller.

6.  Not surprising that David was traitorous, but it was too sudden.  This trilogy should have been more than a trilogy(more books) with a slower turn to the "darkside".  I got my jimmies rustled when I read that David had killed Tobias.  I was relieved when I learned that it was just an ordinary hawk.

7.  Jake could have handled the David completely differently from the beginning, too much to write here.  "Get Rachel"  was too emphasized in the next book.  Yes, Rachel, you are a killer now please get over yourself and kill this one person.

8.  The anis gave David no real reason to stay with them.  The Yeerks have David's parents.  He is outnumbered, outgunned, and alone in a group of people who he feels do not have his best interest in mind(and let's face it- the anis don't).  Of course he is going to try to strike a deal with the devil to get some sort of normalcy returned to his life.  What would I do?  Get David what he wants-  his parents and a place to stay.  It's clear that his parents aren't in a prison somewhere, they came to try to capture him when Marco let David make a phone call.  Try the ambush tactic again and starve the yeerks out of David's parents.

9.  Last year. 

I would like to participate in more of these threads, I enjoy talking about specific things in the books. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:24:06 PM by Oceanspray »

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
   1. In evaluating dragonflies, I must be aware of 2 biases. One is their size, which makes they're maneuverability much more visible than in other insects, and lends to some flying ability, and two is the have the word dragon in the name, so I'm prejudice a bit. But overall, 360, HQ bug view: awesome, flying skill awesome, apparently carrying capacity- well that was genius. Disgusting but genius.

2. Admirable, and for the time being not unpractical. Still it is a little surprising that none of them seemed to put any serious consideration of it before David. (I'd make a bad superhero.)

3. In this case, it would have been a tip off, and restraint was the right choice. But the killing defenseless slugs: I was always with Alloran on that, and Jake stating that at this time was a weird lapse in character. He is supposed to know it's wrong, but it's not supposed to be what stays his hand.

4. V3's plan could have worked, because he had the technology. It failed because he had the ego. When you have the rebels pinned down, don't gloat, shoot them! 2 points to Cassie, for pegging him right. He had misinformation out, his foes trapped, and a good plan for 6 world leaders, and blew it in the same old way, which is the one disappointment I have in the trilogy. But then, the whole plan was a bit more round about than necessary: there were other ways he passed on to do this.

5. Way too ambitious. Surrounded by enemies and non-allies, the whole team in a confined space, limited time to work, one skeptical HOS, one overzealous controller, and the whole thing would have failed, and probability for success was painfully low. The idea to inform isn't bad, but the method they came up with was faulty.

6. This again brings up two points. Excellent story telling, excellent writing, bravo Ms. Applegate, and so much painful shock. I think I refused to believe the deaths the first time, and I remember ripping through 22 until Tobias was confirmed alive, but just the presentation, the idea that this kid would go out and kill these other kids, so grippingly appalling, it still blows my mind. Always, still, wanted a new Animorph, and for him to turn out so twisted, really something. And I still thrill at the lion/tiger scene-it's why I would never want to see TV show with live animals: I want that scene done right, but that would constitute animal cruelty.

7. The saddest thing about David was that at this time he had to be second priority. And I think that's what made Jake in particular misunderstand him. He's threats were too subtle for a character like David, his efforts to integrate not thorough enough, I think he botched this one for his part. But "Get Rachel" I like. The people he does know, he knows how to work with, the admission of their less than pleasant strengths, and his willingness to exploit them is a good cut of his character. Credit to David for laying that open.

8. I agree with Marco and Rachel, and I probably would have been as aggressive about it, which again, was Jake's failing in my eyes. Staking him out was good, but they needed to be able to get to him sooner-I'd have left him zero trust. While I sympathize with Jake's hesitance, I'd have started right there to plan a way to excise him from the group. Though heaven help me, I can't think of what it would be.

@Ember, because falling is the quintessential embodiment of cliff hanging. Admittedly, it's technically what happens after you stop hanging off the cliff, but it's just so much more dramatic, ain't it
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....