Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #20 The Discovery  (Read 9587 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #20 The Discovery
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
Synopsis
Get ready. There's a brand-new Animorph....
Two very big things are happening. World leaders from several powerful nations are going to be in the area. You can bet the Yeerks are out to get their hands on them,  and the Animorphs are just as eager to keep than free and show them the truth. There's also a new kid in school. A kid who somehow has found the blue box: the device that can give someone the power to morph. Both sides are desperate to obtain that as well. With their most important missions in the work the Animorphs make a bold decision: It's time for an addition to the Animorphs.....

Questions
   1. Marco morphs a pet cobra in this book, becoming an infamous serpent, with venom glands intact. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a cobra to be like; it's senses, it's venom and it's movement across land without aid of limbs?

2. The gathering of world leaders has the attention of the Yeerks and the Animorphs. How important is it for the Animorphs to keep these figures free? What do you think would be the effect of exposing the truth of the Yeerks to them?

3. Just for fun, which world leader(s) (USA, Britain, Russia, Germany, Japan, France) do you think was a Controller? How have the Yeerks managed to get away with that, presumably without totally taking over that country?

4. What do you think of David in this book?

5. Marco is the something of the group's tactician. What do you think of his early assesments he makes of David, and the tension formed between them? Do you think your early opinions on David may have been shaped by the fact he is introduced by Marco's narrative, or would he seem the same regardless of the point of view?

6. What do you think of the other Animorphs opinions in adding a new member? What do you think of their interactions with David this early on, particularly Cassie manipulating the tensions between Marco and David?

7. What would you do in the Animorphs position? Before knowing what would happen, do you think it would have been wise to make a new Animorph?

8. What would you do in David's position? His knowledge of the invasion came about in a very different way than the others; do you think it would make one more inclined to join them or resist them?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #21 The Threat
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #20 The Discovery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
2.  I think it is extremely important for them to keep the leaders free.  The fight would have been much harder if they had to deal with a) the Yeerks and b) the public's opinion being swayed around by a Yeerk'd leader.  A person in a position of power could more easily, in both power and the ability to hide their true intent, have them hunted down as bandits.  And I would imagine if a person in a leader position had a Yeerk, it would be much easier for Yeerks to 'trickle down' through the system, soon taking over people that actually enact the leader's plans, slowly removing the need for secrecy.  Really, the Yeerks need to stay secret was a huge help to the Animorph's in this series.

3. Realistically, I don't think any of them were controllers.  It would make no sense if any of them were, that would mean there would be an active presence in another country, and how did we not hear about it?  (Though, in back-handed defense of the series, we never did find out how the Yeerks got 'into' the Andalite military.)

We could surmise that there was a Yeerk presence in another country, but that people caught on and snuffed them out, I won't speculate on what countries inhabitants would be most likely to do that (stereotyping etc.)  If I had to pick and blindly assume what the book said was true, I'd probably say Russia, because it is far enough removed from American influence/geographically that it seems logical to assume that news wouldn't reach America, even if Sarah Palin can see them from her back yard. 

4. I'm glad I started writing fanfic about adding new Anis to the series, because it gave a fresh perspective on the predicament David was in.  I think he genuinely had some problems from the beginning, which was a huge part of the failure to integrate him into the book.  (I could write a huge paper on analysis of him, but for the sake of brevity I'll truncate.)  I can sympathize with him to a certain extent, but in the end it was his own character flaws that lead to his downfall so I can't sympathize with him too much.  (Breh, I'm messing the three books up in my brain, I should stop and re-read exactly where this books stop and the others begin.)

5. I think that our opinions would have been swayed in different directions of David, no matter who started out narrating.  We would have seen him as more of a tragic character as Cassie or Tobias, we would have seen him as massive potential if Jake started it out, we would have seen him as probably trash if we started out with Rachel, and who knows with Ax.  I like that he was started out with Marco, Marco's calculating and suspicious mind really helped us kind of see all angles (as much as possible anyway.)  He was constantly picking up clues and delving into David's surroundings and David himself.  I don't think we would have gotten as much character depth out of David if Marco wasn't somewhere in the trilogy.  I think it ultimately works out well, over all, that it was Marco, Jake, and Rachel with the descriptors I gave above. 

6. I liked Marco's little observation bit on who usually ends on on who's side before they begin deliberating, saying that usually him and Rachel were usually on the same side of the issues.  They were usually the ones in the series that were willing to do the dirty work that needed to be done to further their aims.  Each of their opinions really lined up with their views throughout the series, Tobias kind of idealistic, Cassie willing to take risks in the name of morality, Ax just working with facts, tactics, and experience yet willing to do whatever Jake told him, Marco cautious and calculating, and Rachel just wanting more firepower.  And Jake, just going with what the majority wants to do, usually.

7. I probably would have made him an Animorph and tried to integrate him into the group somehow.  While it really bit them in the butt, it wouldn't have right, tactics-wise or in fairness, to not give him a chance to fight for his parents.

8. It's hard to say how much of his resistance was based on his personality and how much of it was based on basically being crash-landed in a worst-possible-case scenario.  I think if I were in his position, I would have just went along with the group while trying to find out as much information as I could before doing anything on my own, though I definitely would not commit to following Jake around blindly.  At that point in time, I think my main concern would be staying protected from the people who basically wrecked my house.

9. Probably a couple months ago in full, though I've referenced it recently from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:42:41 PM by Noelle »

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
I like David Trilogy. This book is great, and the following, too.

I tried to imagine who could be the Controller. I write a fan fiction about it, and imho he is the Japanese prime minister, just because is the less powerful, or at least in term of military (Japan is the only country without nuclear weapons; Germany has nuclear sharing), so I don't think the Yeerk can already control a big power so early in the series.

The questions about David are interesting. He seems to have some strange aspects, a sort of evil, ruthlessness, evident right from here. It was clear that he would come to a bad end. Curiosly, in this book I agree with Marco's point of view about David, but at the same time I think that the decision to make a new Animorph was the right one. It would be difficult just deliver it to the yeerks. When I read it I imagined that David could live as a fugitive in the wood, with Ax and Tobias.

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
I'm a little behind here, we'll see whether I can keep up with these.

"She came back, of course. But since then I'd felt a little shaky around her." <- Marco on Cassie. When he was the one kind of saving Karen last time.

Why don't they hide David with the Chee?

"David's father hit, bounced, and fell to the sidewalk with a sigh." <- Is he unconscious? Could they have abducted him? Marco's in gorilla morph here.

Ironic that Marco thinks of himself as a pragmatist when he admits that Rachel would have just demanded the cube in the first or second chapter. If he'd just done that all their problems would be solved.

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

Maybe for safety reasons. Marco is slightly paranoid, sometimes it's excessive, but in this case it's right. They didn't want to give him more informations than necessary, at least until they were absolutely sure they can trust on David. And Marco was suspicious from the beginning og the story.

Ironic that Marco thinks of himself as a pragmatist when he admits that Rachel would have just demanded the cube in the first or second chapter. If he'd just done that all their problems would be solved.

Yes. And all their problems would be solved if Tobias had taken the cube instead of returning to report  :)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
   1. I like limbs, but they seem to do okay. Venom seems like a nice perk. I'm told snakes are deaf, and I like hearing, but I can't help but think they compensate. Taste/smell would be sweet. Fascinating creature sure, but this book has so much going on it's hard to focus on it right now...

2. Errgh. I can't help but think again this is over hyped. There's a lot of evidence that either the top-down approach doesn't work, or the Yeerks don't know how to use it. It's an advantage for them, but it's not the game winner. On the other side the Animorphs have something to lose if they're taken, but little to gain if they inform them. Military is no match in face-face, the Yeerks aren't weakened like at the end. Only real benefit is if they could simultaneous do a covert strike when most the Yeerk forces are on the ground, and inform the masses, but that seems unlikely to me.

3. France.  Maybe Russian, for reasons I'll explain later. But France is my top guess. idk why. Probably got the guy and spouse before election, set up a secret nighttime feeding pool. (One of many things, whoever it was, that could have come up again, but unforunately didn't....)

4. Didn't like him. He takes out a gun and tries to shoot to large raptors in the house that are fleeing him. Disapproved right there and then on. And then when he joins he's no better. I didn't care for David, but I never expected what happened next.

5. I like to think I saw David's actions and wrote him off there, but I think Marco's views really had an affect. He's a quick cynic, and it rubbed off doing evaluations. Marco was a bit tactless though, and I disapproved of that. If anything I'd have thought he'd be working hardest fit the new guy into the operation, but he let his feelings get in the way.

6. Again Cassie is the surprise. She acknowledges the hell it'd save him from, but not the one it'd introduce him to. Ax too, I'd thought he'd want to expand. Rachel didn't really surprise me, for the same reason I thought at first Ax would want to. Have to start somewhere, more people, more damage. But all of them made the points to be expected.

7. Yeah. Why not. Couldn't see what's coming. My only security concern would be that the Yeerks know you have a human, but at the height of things I wouldn't have been so critical on the guy. Good thing I'm not really an Animorph then.

8. I think I'd look at the Animorphs as the only protection I had. I wouldn't run off or turn them away first thing, but I'd be more aggressive in trying to make them help me get my life back. Or at least understand better. I'd do it, but not happily. I wonder what would happen had David tried to run away, refused to fight, what they would have done with him then.

10. Idiot freak. Quality insult right there.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:36:18 AM »
author=Ember Nickel link=topic=9154.msg715890#msg715890 date=1334077318]
I'm a little behind here, we'll see whether I can keep up with these.

"She came back, of course. But since then I'd felt a little shaky around her." <- Marco on Cassie. When he was the one kind of saving Karen last time.

Or why not hide David with the free Hork-Bajir (As they would later do with Marco's parents, and then the families of Cassie and Rachel).