Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #2 In the Time of the Dinosaurs  (Read 4489 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #2 In the Time of the Dinosaurs
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
Synopsis
65 million years ago dinosaurs ruled the Earth. And when a nuclear explosion sends the Animorphs back in time, not being eaten is as important, and as difficult, as getting home. But something else in the past is making matters even worse. Turns out the Yeerks aren't the first aliens to try and take over the world....

Questions
   1. What do you think of Applegate's description of prehistoric times, and the overall adventure of this book? A short note is added to the end to acknowledge the factual inaccuries, did you mind the mistakes in this book? Was it surprising to find out Tobias is a dinosaur buff?

2. How does the "humans that travel to the past and caused the events that allowed the birth of humankind"  paradox sit with you?

3. How about the aliens visited and fought for Earth in the past (and brought broccoli) thing? How often did/do you bring that up when broccoli was being served?

4. Most of the Animorphs take on the morph one of the most infamous beast of all time: the Tyrannosaurus rex. What do you think it would be like to be a creature such as this? What do you think it's true nature is, and how well was that expressed in this book, both by the dinosaurs the Animorphs encountered and their time in the morph? Particularly what did you think of Cassie being caught up in the dinosaur's mind?

5. Do you think the Mercora would attribute the bombs failure to the Animorphs? How do you think they feel knowing that and why they were doomed?

6. It is Tobias who realizes and insist on the Animorphs letting comet hit. Was it in character for him to be the on make this decision? What do you think of the others resistance and acceptance of the act?

7. What you have done: would you have given the Mercora a dud bomb, kept it for your own use, or allowed them to destroy the comet? What do you think the possibly of "messing with the future" is, how would that influence your decision?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #19 The Departure
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #2 In the Time of the Dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
Tobias being a dinosaur nerd (and the end paragraph, and the Mercora and Nesk being there in the first place) did feel a little contrived, eh.

The humor in this book was really good, start to finish. Marco should do the backstory dumps every book.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
 1. Everytime I read this book I remember the toys and booklets I had as a kid, so Tobias comes off very vividly. And the note just makes this book for me: Time-travel vs paleontology- time travel ftw. Very epic setting. I always want more, but this is was good.

2. Paradoxes never sit well with me: I've a lot of messed up thoughts regarding time-travel, destiny and free-will (thank you Kain ) and just can't wrap my head around them. For this specific one, while it makes the Animorphs rather larger than life, it riles me. The what ifs of the alternative are too out there, so it feels too much like destiny to me. Not big on destiny.

3. This I like. I don't care for the ancient aliens as planters of human life, but as planters of broccoli, it's interesting and hilarious. I haven't brought it up irl for several years, but I'm soon to move again. Time is coming to share the truth :-p

4. Wow. I take a second and try to imagine it, and it's nothing shy of magnificent. Grizzlies and tigers and gorillas are strong, but this is on a whole different level. Serious power. Incredible. I'm sure they're adept  killers, and I'd never want to face one down in any circumstance, but I'm sure we missed out on the lustful or slothful sides. Anyway, all that power and a strong propensity to kill makes for a remarkable creature. Still, tiny arms would be annoying.

5. Probably figured it out. Feel betrayed. Epically depressed. Still  would try to make a run for it but, yeah that was sad, no doubt.

6. This was a surprise to me, but Tobias may yet be deeper than I give him credit for. As for the others, Cassie stands out. I'd figure she'd be first to see that to allow for the future, the dinosaurs had to go. A lot of conservationist take that attitude (re. invasives at least) and while I disapprove of that approach, there are times to use it. This was one of those times.

7. My annoyance at destiny makes it painfully tempting to destroy the comet. I think, or at least hope, you can mess with the future, and I'd want proof. Probably bad proof in this case, but you only get so many chances. However, I've said before: Mercora & dinosaurs vs me, well me because I'm selfish. Mercora and dinos vs all the future as to hold. Future, no contest. No guarantees, but most likely would take the approach that would secure the timeline, no make matter how revolting it is.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »
RYTX link=topic=9127.msg711834#msg711834 date=1332005448]
Synopsis
65 million years ago dinosaurs ruled the Earth. And when a nuclear explosion sends the Animorphs back in time, not being eaten is as important, and as difficult, as getting home. But something else in the past is making matters even worse. Turns out the Yeerks aren't the first aliens to try and take over the world....

Why didn't the nuclear explosion (of a submarine under water) cause a tsunami?

3. How about the aliens visited and fought for Earth in the past (and brought broccoli) thing? How often did/do you bring that up when broccoli was being served?

Since the Mercora would only have planted the broccoli in a small area around their settlement, which got hit by the dinosaur comet, how did the broccoli survive?