Author Topic: #55 The Madness  (Read 1806 times)

Offline BluJugganaut

#55 The Madness
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »
Hi, names Adam, im from the 'Animorphs fan forum' if ya know it lol

Ive been postin up my own fanfic on that site and i thought i might as well post it here aswell, dunno why  ::)

ive already done 3 chapters, 4th should come soon

anyway, its called The Madness, and it comes straight after no. 54

Chapter 1

My name is Toby Hamee.
   I am a Hork-Bajir, living on a planet called Earth, staring up at the distant stars.
   My friends are up there…
   Friends you ask? The Animorphs, or at least what is left of them. They are in a battle, a battle they may not come out of alive. I feel guilty, stuck down her, chewing on a piece of bark, whilst they fight for theirs and many other people‘s lives. Then again… if I were up there, risking my life, I would feel just as guilty for not being here, with my friends and family, they want me here with them. Safe.
   I tried to blank out the guilt and stared into deep space, feeling the soft heat of the fire nearby. I looked to my left, I saw trees, a lake, all covered in the shadow of the night. Dim lights from a distance showed the cities neighbouring our home, they looked like the stars, flickering with strange colour, and reflected in the water beneath. I turned my head right to see a group, a group of my people. They were sitting around the fire, warming themselves, telling stories, doing what they do to entertain themselves. They showed no fear, they didn’t know what would have been happening at the moment, I had not told them. I thought it would be better if they didn’t know. Instead, I let them play, sleep, do as they wish., they needed the break, and so did I.
   You see, I am what we call a seer, I am a not like the others, I can see things they can’t. I was born to help them, a guide if you will. They looked up to me and I did what I could for them. My great-grandfather was also a seer, he was called Dak. Dak Hamee. A Hork-Bajir who was brave enough to guide an entire army into an impossible battle. They went down with pride, doing all they could to save themselves, they gave those yeerks a battle right to the end.
   We were doomed. There wasn’t a free Hork-Bajir for years, decades, until the Animorphs, a group of six brave individuals, saved us, hiding and protecting two escaped Hork-Bajir. Those two escapees, my parents, helped revive us into the thriving population we have today.
   Our people, after the war, were moved to Yellowstone, a region which spanned over 3000 square miles, and we continued to expand our numbers. We like it here, the area is vast, the trees are plentiful, and it was easy to adapt to our surroundings. It has become the perfect environment, we have everything we need.
   I looked up again at the bright stars. I was lying a few metres from the group, by an old dead tree that had fallen in high winds. I usually spend time on my own, thinking, observing. Tonight though, I didn’t feel like looking at the stars, it only reminded me of my friends who risked everything for me and my people. I wanted to be happy, to feel there is nothing to worry about.  
   I got up and slowly trudged over to the camp, where everyone was sitting in a big circle. Some were talking and laughing, sharing their thoughts and memories, others were sleeping peacefully outside the circle, heads held on their chests as they snored quietly; it was getting late. The circle was formed just in front of a large cave, big enough for an entire family to live in, formed out of a large wall. The fire was set a few metres away from the entrance on a large pile of bark that hadn’t been eaten and fallen leaves.
   At daytime, you could look along the wall and you would notice it was dotted with yet more caves. Whenever the conditions would take a turn for the worse, we would shelter in the caves until we could move out again. In good conditions, we could either sleep up in the trees or, as some were doing now, sleeping around the campfire we set every night.
   There were many stories to tell since the war ended; most of our population had experienced life as a controller. Those that had a yeerk slug slither into the unfortunate victims head and wrap itself around the brain, taking over all senses, controlling every move and sound its host made, as they screamed and begged in the back of their own mind. Many Hork-Bajir had stories to tell of life under the control of yeerks, we were hearing another one tonight. It can seem quite repetitive, but we all still find them fascinating. The things the yeerks did to their victims was beyond belief, it was horrible, evil. I always felt thankful I was never under their control.
   I found a gap in the circle and squeezed myself in next to my mother. She is roughly the same height as me, though she has a smaller tail and smaller, darker blades on her arms and legs. Beside her sat my little brother, he was shorter than both of us by a few inches maybe, though he was not yet fully grown. He was born not long before our father died. I feel it has affected him. He seems incomplete.
   I made myself comfortable and let my legs rest out in front of me, using my tail to balance myself. My mother turned to face me and gave a shrewd look; I must have seemed unhappy.
   “Toby Hamee sad”
   She always knew if I had a problem. Then again, she was my mother. I faced her and forced a smile. “I am fine, just… tired”
   “Toby scared of battle…”
   She saw right through me, realising that I was scared of a battle starting. She was the only other Hork-Bajir here who knew about the Animorphs leaving, I told her last night in our cave while it was raining; I couldn’t sleep.
   My smile faded. I gazed into her worried eyes and she stared back. “ It’s just… I feel something is going to go wrong…”
   I felt her tail nudge up to mine, and she moved closer. “They come back. Jake fine. Marco fine. Tobias fine. Aximilli fine. All fine.” She gave me that motherly smile which gave me so much comfort. “Toby worry too much.”
   I knew she would be right, I guess I am just worrying too much. I smiled back at her. “Thank you Mother.”
   “Ket always here for Toby.” She certainly knew how to make me feel better, maybe I was the seer, but even a seer must look up to someone for help.
   A new voice rose up behind us, distorted slightly by the roaring flame. “Toby?”
   I turned to look over my shoulder. In the light of the flames I could just see Cassie’s silhouette. I got up and walked over to her, she was a few metres from the campfire.
   “Hello Cassie.”
   “Hi Toby, how are things?”
   I forced on a smile, “I am fine. And how are you?”
   She grinned, baring her white human teeth, “Well Ronnie’s taking me to dinner tonight, so I’m feeling great. We also saved a female deer who had been struck by a car.”
   Cassie has always been into animals, she rescues them from around the local area and takes them to her own animal clinic to rehabilitate them. Saving and releasing injured animals always puts her in a good mood.
   “I hope I’m not… distracting you from anything…” She looked embarrassed.
   I shuffled myself. It is harder for me to see in the dark, humans were much better. “Distracting me?”
   “Well you were leaning against Ket, and yours tails were locked… I thought… you know…” She smiled as if she was feeling guilty, or at least that was what I saw in the dim light.
   “We were just talking.” I tried my best to smile as if nothing were wrong.
   Cassie hesitated and lowered her head. “I guess you’re worried too.”
   “Yes, I am”
   She looked into my eyes, and I looked back into hers.
   “I’m sure everything will be fine. They will be back in a few days. I just feel a little guilty for not being by their side.”
   “You have things to do here. Your animal clinic needs you. Ronnie needs you”
   “I know.” She moved over to a log on the ground and sat down on it, holding up her head with her arms. “I guess since the end of the war, we all kind of… fell apart”
   She was right. After the war, the Animorphs went their separate ways. Jake and Tobias seemed to come off the worst. Jake fell into depression, his brother had died, and so had his cousin Rachel. Tobias had not forgiven Jake for Rachel’s death. People thought Tobias had disappeared, thought recently he had started coming to see us again, he talked to me often.
   I knew what Cassie feared. She feared for not just the outcome of any battle the Animorphs faced, but for the relationships between them. I think once they came back they would go their own ways again. This upset Cassie deeply.
   “Everything will be just fine. You will see.” I knew this may not be true myself, and I felt guilty by putting in my own false hope, but I wanted to make her feel better. “And while they are gone, you have Ronnie.”
   “Thanks Toby, I guess a meal tonight with Ronnie will make me feel better. It will take my mind off it.”
   “How is Ronnie?” I asked, trying to bring in a more light-hearted conversation.
   “He seems nervous. I think tonight’s going to be a very special dinner.” She smiled and winked.
   I chuckled to myself. “You think…?”
   She nodded knowingly.
   “He’s going to propose?”
   She laughed. “You got it.”
   I had learnt a lot from Cassie recently, she often took me out on my own into human habitat to show me their culture.
   Humans were amazing. Amazing but… strange, very strange. They carry weapons around with them as if there was still a war on; they take pleasure in watching each others pain, and even see it as a form of sport, and they eat as if their stomachs were bottomless pits.
   Our most recent visit though was to a place called a ‘church’. Cassie took me there as a small group of humans came in and spent an hour listening to another human. It was terribly boring. I had to sit quietly in a hidden corner so no one would see me, and I swear I could have ripped my own head off! I was interested for maybe the first half hour, but it was terribly annoying sitting awkwardly in a tight corner, trying hard to make out words spoken out at the other side of the room with a candle threatening to bury itself in your ear. I decided to leave towards the end, which turned out to be quite a bad idea, since the crowd weren’t expecting a two-metre alien to stumble out of a corner in the middle of a service. I apologised and left rather embarrassed.
   Cassie later explained to me about the purpose of the small gatherings. Sometimes weddings would take place there, and a male and a female would become husband and wife, though not all weddings took place in a church. From what I hear, human marriage is far more complex than Hork-Bajir marriage.
   I knew a lot about these ‘weddings’ now.
   I smiled to myself. “And would you accept?”
   She grinned, it was enough of an answer.
   She looked over towards the group, huddled around the fire. “How’s the little guy?”
   I knew where she was looking. At the furthest end of the group sat a female, holding a small Hork-Bajir in her arms. She had given birth a few hours earlier, and Cassie had helped deliver the newborn. He sat curled up and asleep in his mothers arms.
   “He is fine, though he still does not have a name. Both parents are exhausted after today. Too tired for such a decision.” I turned to face her. “Thank you for helping.”
   “It’s no problem Toby, seriously. I love to help you guys.” She placed her hand on my shoulder. “I have time for things like that, since I hired new staff for the clinic.”
   “Is that why you have spent so much time with us recently?”
   “Yeah. Since I’ve hired so many I’ve been able to show you what you’ve never seen before. In fact, how about tomorrow I take you out to see a parade? There’s one starting tomorrow, around midday. My treat.”
   “That’s very nice of you, I would love to go” I grinned in the fire light. “But… what is a parade?”
   “You’ll see when we get there.” She winked at me and got up onto her feet. “Anyway, I think I should check up on our new baby, talk to Jer, I’m sure she will want to talk to me about her new baby.“ Cassie started to walk away, then turned her head to look back at me. “… You look tired, maybe you should rest for a bit.”
   “Yes. I think I will go to my tree.”
   She walked away from me and over to the camp, and she sat down next to Jer, who looked lazily to her, gleaming in the light. She was happy, and what was there to stop that? She was free. Her baby was free. We were all free.
   I watched as the little Hork-Bajir opened a large eye, slowly and curiously. He quickly decided to crawl away, maybe spotting some food nearby. He lost his balance and fell back onto Cassie’s lap. She cushioned his fall and lifted him into her arms, he smiled and quickly made himself comfortable, falling back to sleep.
   I watched them sitting there. Peaceful. It is what we had always wanted, but deep down inside I knew things were not all right. Not yet, anyway. I craned my neck upwards to look up at the night sky, watching the owls fly past, the occasional aeroplane (a human mode of transport) and the flickering stars.
   My eyelids began to droop and I let out a big yawn. I decided to walk over to my own tree, which was a few metres away from the fire. The green leaves seemed to shine in brilliant shades of gold, rustling in the gentle night breeze, fluttering distant laughter wove into the wind to form an atmospheric, almost dreamy sound.
   I climbed slowly up the side of the tree and pulled myself onto a large branch strong enough to hold my weight. I let my limbs droop over the side and rested my snout on the smooth bark. I closed my tired eyes and let the noises take me away, and soon enough, I drifted off…

Offline BluJugganaut

Re: #55 The Madness
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:17:23 AM »
CHAPTER 2

I woke to the sound of birds.
   I lifted my head and looked around the park. The fire had gone out and there was no one to be seen. I stretched my muscles, trying my best not to fall off the small branch, then I wrapped my claws around it and slowly dropped to the ground. I walked sleepily over to my families cave and peered inside.
   There was no one inside.
   I scratched at my neck and tried to think where they could be. Maybe I had just overslept and the group had already gone off to find new bark. I rubbed at my eyes and shook my tail, then walked up to the nearest group of trees. They were the nearest trees to the camp, and they often went this way to find food. I sniffed around, trying to catch their scent.
   I smelled a branch low to the ground. Yes! They had moved here recently.
   I jumped up further into the tree and began making my way through the dark, following the scent of the others.
   This is what I enjoyed the most, swinging through the trees. Sometimes I would travel for hours just for the fun of moving at high speeds, over and under branches. I would often get lost, but it didn’t matter, it just meant I could have more fun aimlessly flying between the trees. It makes me happy at the worst of times. A Hork-Bajir learns to travel through trees at a very early age, usually after 1 or 2 months. According to my father, I was especially quick to learn.
   We learnt from watching our Mother, clutching to her belly as she glided swiftly through the trees. Then our parents would let us roam at their sides until we were confident enough to travel a small distance unsupervised. Of course, the parents would watch us, just from a significant distance. It was a confidence thing.
   After a few minutes of searching and sniffing, I could smell them clearly, and I knew I was close. They would be nearby, already starting the days work. I couldn’t tell how long they had been here though, it could have been minutes, it could have been hours. Either way, they would wonder where I had been, and I started to feel the usual guilt that came with not helping. I am usually the first to wake up. They would never expect any seer to be late.   
   The trees suddenly stopped coming. I slowed down and jumped onto a low branch. I was looking into a large open area surrounded by maybe thousands of beautiful trees and filled with lush green grass. It was a lovely little collection of wildlife and colourful plants, and, just as expected, the group were there.
   There were two Hork-Bajir to each tree, one stripped off bark from near the top of the tree and passed it down to the second, who took off bark lower down using their leg blades, and placing all of the bark by the bottom of the tree using their tail. Some Hork-Bajir collected the bark from the ground and placed it in the centre of the clearing, where more Hork-Bajir placed as many chunks of bark as they could into their mouths and made their way carefully back to the camp.
   We would strip enough bark to last the day, though we didn’t want to run the area dry. We even made sure we planted any seeds we found lying around. This was an efficient process.
   The group looked very organised, it was pleasing to see, and at this rate, they should have be done in minutes. They did not really need me. I could go back to the camp to sleep. I was still tired, and I am sure they wouldn’t mind if I took a little nap back in my tree.
   I grappled the nearest branch of the tree and prepared to leap back into the mass of trees, just as a face poked around the side of the Pine I was on. He eyed me over and crawled close to me, holding himself onto the trunk of the tree.
   “Hello Toby Hamee!”
   “Hello Bek.”
   He hesitated for a while, as if he was figuring something out. Then a big grin appeared on his face. “Toby late. Toby sleep.” He began laughing.
   Bek was a good friend of mine, we had known each other since we were both little. I was slightly older than him, and also taller. Nevertheless, he seemed to enjoy teasing me whenever he got the chance. I guess he is, as a human would say, ‘cute’, though I wasn’t interested in him that way.
   He realised I had overslept and must have found it rather funny. He jumped onto the branch I was standing on and moved next to me. “Toby never late.” He was trying to stop himself laughing, but was not finding it easy.
   “I was tired, I have not slept well. Not lately.” I looked over the grassland, and I quickly noticed the amount of Hork-Bajir who were there. The trees were crawling with them. There must have been over a hundred. “Bek? How many are here?”
   He paused, trying to absorb the question, then he followed my gaze. He pointed downwards towards our group who were busy collecting bark off the trees beside. “Us.”  Then he looked around the area and narrowed his eyes. After a few seconds of silence he turned to me and grinned. “Lots.”
   Well, I guess I wasn’t expecting much more of an answer.
   “Lots and lots.” He continued. “Group from that way.” He pointed over to the trees at the other end of the opening, “And that way.” Pointing in another direction. “Gather. Big feast.”
   I began to depict what he was saying. There was more than just our group here. From what I saw, there were at least four separate groups harvesting the trees, and with the amount of bark we were collecting, it was easy to see how busy it would be at the campfire tonight.
   The Hork-Bajir had been split into groups spreading around an area of Yellowstone park. Each group moved to its own harvesting area, yet stayed within about a kilometre of each other. This way, trees weren’t over-stripped, but we stayed close enough together to communicate without any problems. Today though, the groups had decided to harvest together, and whenever groups harvest together, they feast together afterwards.
   And it was very busy here today.
   “And this feast is at our camp, I’m guessing” I said.
   He nodded
   “Will you be joining us?”
   He thought about it, then shook his head.
   “No? Where will you be?”
   “In tree.”
   I felt slightly disappointed, I always loved his company.
   He looked guilty. “Toby want play? Swing?” He grabbed a branch up above with one strong arm.
   “No, thank you. I need to rest.” Then I smirked playfully. “You still have a lot of work to do.”
   He laughed, and in a flash, he shot down the trunk of the tree and disappeared below.
   I sat down on the branch and gazed up into the colourful morning sky. I leaned my back against the trunk of the tree and let my thick tail drop and sway below me. I just wanted to relax. Maybe I would skip the feast tonight, just crawl up my tree and get a good nights sleep. I’m sure no one would mind.
   I felt myself starting to drift off into sleep, but just as the last thoughts escaped my head, something tugged on my tail. I lifted it up onto the branch and held it against my chest. I didn’t want to be disturbed.
   “Toby Hamee?”
   I jumped at the sudden intrusion and almost fell out of the tree. I looked left and right but saw no one. “Hello?”
   A face, an unknown face, was peering down at me from above. He was young, maybe a year old. He jumped down and landed clumsily on the branch just in front of me.
   I tried to put on a polite face, but I wasn’t in the mood. I must have looked terrible agitated.
   He was holding a large chunk of bark in both his hands, and he turned to face me, using his tail to balance himself on the struggling branch. “Hello Toby Hamee!”
   I didn’t recognise him, he would have been from a neighbouring group, but he certainly recognised me. He was ecstatic, bouncing playfully on the end of the branch.
   “Hello.” I said politely back to him.
   “Toby sleep?” He said as he appeared to calm down. Maybe he was starting to gather the fact that I did not want to be distracted.
   I steadily got up onto my feet and moved up to him. “No, I was not sleeping. Do you want help?”
   “Sha find bark.” He handed me the large chunk he was holding. “New bark.”
   So this is why he was so excited.
   “Good bark? Good to eat?” He asked.
   I took a bark and began inspecting it. I rubbed my fingers across the rough surface, then with the underside of my hand, rubbed the smooth inner section. I lifted it up to my snout and sniffed at it, licked it. It tasted fine. I searched for any abnormalities but saw nothing.
   “Where did you find this bark?” I asked him.
   “Big tree. By river. That way.” He pointed.
   I handed him back the bark and gave him a soft, almost motherly smile. “This is good bark. It is not too rough, and it will taste nice.”
   “Thank you Toby Hamee.” He moved his attention to the slab of bark and inspected it himself. Then he used an elbow blade to quickly slice the bark in half, and held a piece up to me. “Tree have lots. Toby have some.”
   “Thank you Sha.” I gently bowed my head forward, and the blades on our heads met. This was a normal thing we did when me met another Hork-Bajir for the first time, though sometimes, it is just a way to show love to another. Walking around here through the trees, you would often see partners doing this on the ground below, and in that case, it is a clear sign to leave them alone.
   We held there for a second, then we drew our heads back, and with a child’s smile, he was gone.
   I looked at the bark once again. I had never seen this kind before, maybe the child had found an undiscovered area of the park. I lifted it to my smooth snout and gave it another sniff. Then closed my jaw around the soft edge, and took a small chunk off. I held it in my mouth without biting, figuring the taste. It was easy on my tongue, as it was not rough at all. And the taste…
   The taste!
   I had never experienced bark like this before, not even on the Hork-Bajir home world. I bit into it…
   My eyes went wide in shock, and my jaw almost dropped, just as I realised that if I did that, I would drop the food. That would be a disaster!
   I held the bark in my mouth for as long as I could before I instinctively swallowed. I even tasted it as the large chunks slithered down my throat, and I stood there in the tree, almost bawling in the pleasure.
   I wanted more. My stomach rumbled in agreement. I grabbed onto a branch up above and swung myself up into the trees, following the direction in which Sha went. I began to follow what I thought was his scent. It led me away from home and around the far side of the harvesting area, going into an place I had never been to before.
   I slowed my pace and watched the background zoom past me, taking in the smells and the sounds. This place was not too different from where I lived, but the trees were different. Maybe this was where the bark came from…
   I stopped and glanced around the area. I was surrounded by unusual trees, trees I hardly recognised. I felt the smell of new bark massage my nostrils. My stomach wanted food, and I could not disobey it.
   The tree I was stood on was fresh and unmarked. No Hork-Bajir were around to care for these, so they were grown long and rough. I shuffled over to the trunk of the tree to fetch a little snack.
   A noise. Where? To my left.
   I turned to face the world around me. I saw nothing but what I knew.
   Trees. Green. Bark.
   A tree wavered. I narrowed my gaze and waited to see what would appear behind the trunk.
   Another Hork-Bajir to my relief.
   He crept from behind the trunk and casually leant against an over-hanging branch and held a large chunk of bark. He was only a few yards from where I stood, camouflaged between the colour and sounds. He did not notice me. Looking closer, I saw clearly what he held. The bark I was after.
   He opened his mouth to begin his meal, just as he noticed me and froze in his place. His jaw soon closed and his eyes swept over me.
   I did not know him, yet I crawled up to him, using my arms to support myself over the unkempt branches. I came to about a metre from him. I saw he was roughly my age. He was a darker green all over, with piercing red eyes which shone without sunshine. His blades were well kept, and he showed a large, rather noticeable scar running down from the top of his belly, curving down over his front and ending beside his tail-base.
   He looked to me, then down at his bark, thinking. Then he reached over, offering the whole chunk of the delicious bark to me.
   How could I refuse?
   I crawled up to him, taking the bark in my claws.
   “Thank you, um…” I did not know his name.
   He smiled a smile that could have knocked me from my feet. “My name Tal Ganat.”
   I stood and tried to regain my confident look. “My name is Toby Hamee.”
   His eyes widened, and he looked over me once again. “Toby Hamee.” He finally said in agreement. “You are different.”
   I must have heard this a thousand times by now. “Yes.” I shuddered as his smile found its way back again. “I-I guess I am…”
   He pointed to the chunk of bark he had given me. “Gift. For Toby Hamee.”
   “… Where did you get this bark?” I asked, rubbing my claws against the soft surface.
   “Tree by river.” He rubbed his belly. “Good bark. Tasty.”
   I nodded in agreement. “Are you from around here?”
   “Tal live near. At edge of trees.” He spread his arms to indicate the area around us.
   “I have never seen you before. At least not from what I remember.”
   “Tal know Toby.” He replied. “Toby know Tal brother.”
   “I do?”
   I thought about this, but it was not long before he interrupted.
   “Tal always want to meet Toby Hamee.”
   I was rather flattered. “Why would you want to meet me?”
   “Toby Hork-Bajir hero.”
   I swear I was blushing. I looked away in embarrassment.
   The Sun was high in the sky by now, its beams shone past the leaves and into my eyes. I covered them with my arm and moved over to the shade of Tal’s tree and stood by him.
   “It is bright out today.” I told him.
   “Yes. Human folk loud when Sun is bright.”
   I paused.
   He had reminded me of Cassie. She wanted me to go with her to the human city at midday. I was late!
   “Tal, I have to go now.” I turned and began walking away.
   He quickly reacted and grabbed my arm. “Why Toby go? Stay with Tal.”
   “No, I need to find someone.”
   He stood up straight from the branch, looking perky. “Tal come too?”
   I looked him in the eyes.
   They appeared strange as they shot into me. There was something there, something I had never seen before. Something powerful. I could not even begin to describe it.
   We stared at each other for what seemed like hours, yet was all but seconds. We were held there, unable to part, like something was connecting us.
   “Well…” I managed to say.
   Maybe taking him wouldn’t be so bad. No Hork-Bajir has been taken directly into the centre of human habitation. Maybe after hearing where me and Cassie were going, he would want to stay home. Either way, he could not be allowed to come with us. So why did I not say no?
   “OK.” I continued. “You can follow, just… stay with me.”
   He grinned. “Where we go?”
   “Away from the park. Somewhere you have never been before.”
   He did not answer. I was already swinging back towards home before he could speak. I heard him swinging behind me as we flew through the trees, the bark lodged in my jaw to give me full mobility.
   We raced back to my camp and jumped from the trees onto the open grassland. Tal decided to look around at the scenery and introduce himself to my group, while I looked around for Cassie.
   She was not there. I squinted to look at the human ‘clock’ with stretched into the sky in the distance. It was a tall building on the edge of the human habitat which my group of Hork-Bajir could just barely see.
   Five-to-One! At least that is what it said.
   Maybe she had left without me. She may have thought I did not want to go.
   A Hork-Bajir happened to be walking past. “Did you see a human here?” I asked him. He seemed bemused by my question.
   He seemed bemused by my question. Then he pointed over at a distance to a small, paved concrete path surrounded by a large fence, there stood a group of humans holding small photographic devices they used to disrupt us.
   “No, not those humans. A human who came here, to our camp.” I said politely.
   He thought for a moment. “Cassie come.”
   “She did? Where is she now.”
   “She go. Wait for Toby. You go to Cassie. At…” He was stuck in thought, trying to remember the name of Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre. Fortunately, I knew that was where she would wait for me.
   “Thank you. The building is called Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre.” I laughed briefly. He walked off repeating the words to himself, though I knew he would forget. Even the word ‘building’ was unusual to him.
   He wandered off with the rest of the group to spend the rest of the day caring for the trees, as Tal walked up beside me.
   “We go now?”
   “Yes Tal.” I glanced over to the large, white, square building that stood not far from the park. The Rehabilitation Centre. “We are going there.”
   “Why?”
   “Because that is where my friend is. We are going to see her, and she will take us on a little tour.”
   He ****ed his head. “Human friend?”
   “Yes. A Human friend.”

Offline BluJugganaut

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
CHAPTER 3

We decided to avoid the rowdy human tourists and took the pleasant scenic route, heading towards Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre.
   Of course, the scenic route meant travelling a further distance, but the park was beginning to get busy, which meant that if we went the ‘quick’ way to the Rehabilitation centre, it may have taken us hours to get to where we wanted. The crowds would hold us there, asking questions, taking pictures - the usual tourist things.
   We liked them. I suppose most of them liked us, and, soon enough, we ventured closer.
   They were only permitted to walk on a small path, which was surrounded by short metal railings. They would talk to us mostly, though some even wanted to stroke us, strangely enough.
   We all knew well enough to avoid being touched. It was usually just innocent stroking. Not too long ago though, the innocent stroking turned out to be a kidnapping of a very young child. Thankfully, security was tight on the day, and the child was quickly returned to his parents.  We were lucky.
   Since that day, Hork-Bajir do not allow humans to get too close. The humans were untrustworthy and often dangerous.
   I swung my way through the trees, with Tal not far behind. The trees began to appear further apart as we moved closer to the near edge of the park where the rehabilitation centre stood.
   I flung myself into the clearing that neighboured a flat, black and white surface, surrounded by a tall hedgerow. It was filled with maybe eight large objects called ‘cars’ - an array of shining materials. The humans prized their cars, seeing them as more than just a quick mode of transport, but as trophies that needed their constant attention.
   One day, I would like to sit in one, to see what all the fuss is about. It would be a lovely experience, though I have been told by Cassie I may be too big. The humans were always complaining about how cramped they were, anyway. So maybe it would not have been such a good idea.
   I looked past the shiny cars and saw the Rehabilitation Centre, a large, brown building, just recently built. It had many windows stretching up for five levels, moving up to a slated roof, covered by yet more windows. Inside were what appeared to be offices, storage rooms and long narrow halls connecting them all together. A few humans could be made out walking around the halls and offices, looking busy and as if they in the middle of doing something important. Most wore brown or black suits, from what I could make out. Others wore all-white, and a small number wore what Cassie told me were ‘Casual clothes’.
   Clothes were yet another invention the humans used. It was made from soft material and came in many different colours and patterns. Humans wore them to keep warm when it was cold and to cover certain areas of the body which the humans find ‘offensive’.
   We lived in a nice, warm climate. Surely they would overheat.
   And what could be so offensive about their bodies? We never hid ourselves. We have nothing to hide. Maybe the humans did.
   Who knows when you’re with humans?
   I shook my head and tried to concentrate. I was ecstatic after making my way here, and my mind had begun to wonder.
   I strolled up to the tall hedge surrounding the ‘car park’ and raised my long neck over the top to peer around.
   I jumped suddenly at the sight of my own reflection in several car windows. On a bright day like today, the reflections were sharp and almost seemed real.
   I turned to see Tal. He was keeping himself busy, halfway up a tree, slicing up some bark and sinking his teeth into it.
   I was quick to notice then that I was still holding the piece he had given me. It was locked in my jaw.
   I rubbed my tongue against the smooth surface.
   A minute or so later, the bark was gone, and I had a full stomach.
   Tal moved up to my side as the last chunk slithered down my throat. “We go there?”. He pointed a claw at the building.
   “Yes. I think she will be inside.” I gave him a serious look to make sure he was listening. “Stay by my side, I do not want you to get lost outside of the park.”
   He smiled cheerfully. “Tal not get lost. Always stay with Toby.”
   His eyes alone told me exactly the same. It was convincing.
   I leaped, using my powerful legs, and landed on the other side of the hedge. Tal quickly followed, and we found ourselves walking into the centre of the car park.
   “Hot.” Tal said, referring to the tarmac beneath our feet. It had heated in the bare Earth sun. “Ground strange. Not like grass.”
   “This is called ‘Tarmac’. It is a human invention. They use it so that they can move around in their cars.” I directed his gaze over to the collection of brightly coloured cars nearby. “They are very fast. I have watched them.”
   Tal stopped in the middle of the car park and looked at the ground. “Tarmac.” He repeated, and began stomping his feet.  He then walked to the front of one of the cars and placed his hands on the bright metal.
   He was quick to retreat his hands with a shocked yelp. “Hot!” He backed away from the car blowing at his claws. He backed up right into the path of an on-coming car.
   The car was not moving fast. It came to a screeching stop, barely avoiding Tal’s legs.
   Tal turned to face the car and jumped in horror. “Car attack Tal!” He leapt towards me in blind panic and almost knocked me from my feet.
   The human in the car just stared in awe at the two out-of-place Hork-Bajir. Maybe he had not seen any Hork-Bajir before, or maybe it was just seeing us out of the park that he found so strange.
   I shouted my apologies to the man in the car and ran Tal off the road and around the corner of the building.
   This had already become a disaster.
   “Tal not like cars.” He explained. He was beginning to calm down, but he was still shaking.
   “You should have been more careful Tal.” I kept my voice quiet, so as not to draw any attention. “I think, from now on, we should stay away from cars.”
   He nodded in strong agreement.
   I swivelled my head to look along the side of the building. I saw the entrance nearby, a large glass box on the side of the building. At the top of this entrance was a long white banner, which read ‘Welcome to Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre’, in big red letters.
   Over the years I have learnt to read the language known as ‘English’. This skill is very useful, especially when I am roaming outside of the park.
   We trotted to the supposed entrance and made our way through the rotating doors. Again, doors are a strange thing to us Hork-Bajir. It seemed that once we had mastered normal doors, the humans began using these ‘rotating doors’. I was quickly able to figure out how it worked, but Tal took his time.
   The rotating doors did not stop for anyone. Once you were inside, you had no choice but to end up on the other side, unless, of course, you were too slow, in which case, you ended up back where you started. It may not sound complex, but to Tal, it was like having to learn to walk and speak in one day.
   It took us a few minutes before we were both on the same side. I was already late to meet Cassie, this just made me later.
   After passing through the glass entrance, we came through into a larger room I assumed was the main reception of the building. There was a large desk at one side and a collection of small plastic seats at the other. The walls were covered in small, shiny rectangular objects. Many of them were pictures, others were metallic and inscribed with names and dates.
   A small number of humans were dotted around the room, the majority of them sitting in the horrible plastic seats. There was one woman sitting behind the reception desk reading a file. I recognised her. She was here when I had my teeth checked after I accidentally tried to eat a rock.
   There was a Hork-Bajir ward here, the only one this side of Yellowstone. It was on the fourth floor and it was blocked off from the rest of the building by coded doors. They treated everything from broken bones to the Hork-Bajir equivalent of the ‘Common cold’ in there.
   They also gave ‘jabs’.
   I hated the ‘jabs’.
   The female sitting behind the desk was called Sue. She looked up from her file, and raised her eyebrows as she saw us.
   She was young, with long, black hair which almost seemed to stretch under the desk she was sat at. She also wore small glass objects in front of her big brown eyes. These are called ‘glasses’, I believe. Humans wear them to improve eyesight.
   We walked as quietly as we could up to the desk, with many eyes dragging after us from the other side of the room.
   “Hello.” Sue said, sounding forcefully cheerful. “How are you two today?”
   The staff were always very kind to us here. They tried to instil confidence in us, so that we would come back when we were needed. It was usually very comforting, but I felt, a lot of the time, that it was put on.
   Sue was always sitting behind the desk, always looking terribly bored. It was no wonder she had to force on a smile when someone came in. I am surprised that she never fell asleep.
   I was about to answer her question, but she was quick to interrupt. “Um… Where is your guide?” She questioned with a raised eyebrow. “You should know you are not allowed out of the park without your guide.”
   “Sue, it is me.” I chuckled. “Toby Hamee.”
   “Oh.” She gave a look of embarrassment. For humans, this usually involves going slightly red in the face and avoiding eye contact. “Sorry, Toby, I didn’t recognise you.” She paused. “You should still come with your guide though. I don’t care if you know your way around, you’re still a Hork-Bajir.”
   “I know, Sue, but I did not have time to find my guide. I am late.”
   “You? Late?” She laughed. Human laughing is strange. It sounds like breathing at an almost impossible speed, like they were hyper-ventilating.
   “Yes. I am late. I overslept.”
   She looked shocked. “That’s rather unlike you Toby.” She laid back in her chair and took a mug of steaming liquid in her hand. “So, what are you late for?”
   “I have come to meet Cassie. I was supposed to meet her in the park at midday, but I did not arrive in time. Did she come back here?”
   “Yeah, she did. She went upstairs, probably to her office. She may be busy, but I’ll check for you.” She smiled an held up a phone to her ear, before looking over at Tal. He was staring nervously at the humans across the room, not paying attention to us at all.
   Sue took the phone from her ear and spoke in a near-whisper, “Is he with you?”
   “Yes. This is Tal.” I nudged Tal and he turned to face Sue.
   “Hello Tal.” Sue said with a welcoming grin. “How are you?”
   “Tal happy. Tal with Toby. How are you?” he replied, repeating what Sue had said, though maybe over-exaggerating his ‘you’.
   Maybe he was just pointing out the facts, or maybe I should have been flattered.
   “I’m bored Tal. Very bored.” She was using human humour. Tal did not understand.
   “Tal help?” He offered.
   “Uh, no thanks.” She took up the phone again and pressed several buttons, before starting a conversation with who I assumed was Cassie.
   “Hello ---- I have Toby here, says she’s come to see you --- She says she was late ---- OK ---- Alright ---- I’ll make sure they do.” She put down the phone and got up out of her seat. She came out from behind they desk and signalled for us to follow.
   She took us through a narrow hallway into an even larger room. There were more seats here, and many more humans. Between the seats were low wooden tables covered in small, colourful books. There was a water dispenser in the middle of the room, accompanied by a rotating fan. In a far corner was a small  cushioned area filled with little toys and human children.
   Many of the humans were bored. They yawned, looked impatiently at the time-keeping objects on their wrists, and some were fast asleep.
   This was the waiting room. And that usually means a long, long wait.
   Before I became too uneasy, Sue took us to a distant side of the room, away from the human madness and to the Hork-Bajir waiting area. Thankfully, the accommodation was well thought-out. The seats were large enough, with extra room for our tails behind us; there was plenty of floor-space for those who did not want seats; and several plants and small trees decorated the area in an attempt to make us feel more at home. Being enclosed in a hot, busy room full of humans is far from fun, but the trees and plants made it somehow bearable, especially since they blocked the humans from sight.
   It was not that we did not want to see the humans, but that we did not want them to see us. We were here to be treated, not to be tourist attractions.
   “Now you two stay here.” Sue started. “Cassie is busy at the moment, but she should be down to collect you shortly.” With that, she was gone, me and Tal were left to wait.
   I glanced over to the clock, it said ‘2 ‘o’clock’. I looked away and closed my weary eyes.
   I opened them again, this time, this clock said 2:30.
   There was a heavy weight rested up against my side. I turned to see Tal, fast asleep, leaning partly against my arm and shoulder.
   Cassie was still not here. Maybe I could just have another nap until she came…
   I turned my head over to rest against the wall behind me.
   “Ah!!”
   That was me screaming. I jerked and threw Tal out of his sleep. He sat up drearily and followed my now wide-awake gaze at the human male who was sat right next to me.
   “Hi.” The human male started, seeming totally calm. “I’m sorry, did I wake you?”
   I stared at him in shock. He sat back in the seat which seemed far too large for him, legs crossed and bearing a confident smile. He wore a black, formal suit, as if he was involved in something important.
   From what I could see, he was a relatively young human, perhaps mid-twenties to early-thirties. His eyes and short well-groomed hair matched a deep hazel-brown, and he held a strangely pleasant scent which seemed to radiate from his body. I believe it was called perfume.
   “Um, hello?” He waved his hand before us and brought me out of my sleepy trance.
   “Yes, you did wake us.” I  muttered “Did you want to talk?”
   “I did want to talk, yes.” He held out his hand, offering to shake. “My name is Terry. Terry O’Donnell.”
   We took turns to shake the strangely-accented mans hand, a formal human gesture which happened when two people met. Tal tried to repeat what I had done, but Hork-Bajir were not very good with shaking hands, as the ‘shaking’ was very much exaggerated.
   “My name is Toby Hamee. This is my friend, Tal Ganat.”
   “It’s nice to meet you both.” Terry continued. “You know, I’ve never seen Hork-Bajir outside of Yellowstone before, neither have I ever met any up close.”
   “We prefer to stay inside the park,” I explained, “We are here because we are meant to be meeting one of the staff, who is currently busy.”
   He shot me a sideways stare, then raised his eyebrows. “Haven’t I seen you on TV before?”
   “TV?” I ****ed my head, “What is TV?”
   “Wait! I know now. You’re in the House of Representatives, aren’t you?” He said, not bothering to answer my question.
   “Yes, I am.”
   “Wow. That must be very interesting.”
   I nodded. I was a member of the House of Representatives , but in reality, I had always found the meetings very frustrating.
   I usually went in for congress once every month, where a group of delegates and representatives discussed issues that came up. I had my own little seat which I sat in for a number of hours listening to what everyone had to say, and because it was a seat meant for humans, the hours spent there were extremely uncomfortable.
    And it was not at all interesting.
   I finally gave into my curiosity, “Terry, why are you wearing a such a formal suit in a vetinary centre?”
   He was stumped by my question. Tal found himself lost from the conversation and stared blankly around the room.
   “My dog is here,” He stammered. “Broken leg. Poor thing.”
   “I am sorry to hear it.” I decided to play along with what I assumed was a lie. “But I do not think you have answered my question.” I politely told him.
   He sighed and gave a defeated shake of his head. “Alright. You got me.” He held up his hands. “I’m also here for business matters.”
   “Business matters?”
   “I own a restaurant nearby. I’m advertising.”
   “So you have come to an animal rehabilitation clinic?”
   He was quickly losing his confidence and becoming aggrevated. “Everyone has to start somewhere.” He said defensively.
   “That is true.” I reassured him.
   “Yes” His eyes glanced over us, looking up and down our bodies. As if I was not suspicious enough…
   He rubbed his chin. “Say, Toby, how would you and Tal like to dine at my restaurant tonight?”
   “Terry, you know perfectly well Hork-Bajir do not eat at ‘restaurants’. Firstly: We only eat bark, and I highly doubt you speciallise in this; and secondly: Hork-Bajir do not, and will not use currency of any type, so how would you expect us to pay you?”
   “My treat to you.” He replied, with regained confidence.
   I raised an eyebrow. “That is very generous, and we thank you for the offer, but I am afraid I will have to refuse.”
   He grinned. “Are you sure? I’m sure if you came, you would be pleasantly surprised.”
   I turned away to think.
   He was offering for us to dine at a human restaurant. What was there to worry about? The place would  probably be filled with humans. So there was no chance of kidnap without a handful of witnesses. They would not hold weapons in a restaurant, so we were not really in any physical danger.
   And the Yeerks were defeated more then two years ago. There was none left on Earth, apart from those locked away.
   Maybe he was just being nice. If he was, it would be better for us to accept. If it turned out the place was not suitable, we could just leave.
   “Alright Terry. If me and Tal have got available time, we will come.” I looked over my shoulder to Tal who had started listening again. He nodded.
   “Thank you, Toby. I’m sure you won’t regret it.” He took up a large black briefcase from beside his seat and placed it in his lap. He pulled it open and digged through files of paper, before handing me a small piece of paper. “Well, I’d best be off. It was lovely to meet you both.”
   We shook hands again and he left, leaving us with only the scent of strong perfume and the small piece of paper.
   The title stood out bright and bold: TERRY’S. Below were details of location and opening times.
   I read over the paper several times. I was earlier feeling very suspicious, but as I read, it became ever more apparent that this really was just a little restaurant in a nearby street.
   But why would he invite two Hork-Bajir?
   “Toby?” Tal, finally speaking up.
   “Yes Tal?”
   He did not answer, but once again, I felt his weight leaning against my shoulder. He had fallen back to sleep.
   I should have stayed awake myself. It would not have been long before Cassie arrived, she would not want to keep us waiting long. But as the seconds ticked by, I found it increasingly harder to keep my eyes focused.
   I leant against Tal, he was already snoring.
   I really should have stayed awake.

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
Love it. Can't wait tell the next one is up.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Elfangor

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
wow Awsome fanfic
HE came, HE died, HE gave hope, HE created evil and died trying to destroy it,
HIS name was ELFANGOR

Offline BluJugganaut

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
Sorry for taking so long to update...

CHAPTER 4

White.
   White.
   White.
   Nothing but white.
   And dead silence.
   My own breathing filled my ears.
   Nothing else.
   It was just me, alone in a sea of blankness.
   I sniffed at the air. I smelled only myself.
   I turned on ground that was not solid.
   Nothing but white.
   Empty white. Blind white.
   “Hello?!”
   Not even an echo.
   I jerked.
   A sound?! Someone else?
   No, just my chattering teeth.
   My body tensed up. My legs were twitching, ready to run. My eyes darted around the blankness for any possible danger. My tail stiffened and lowered between my legs.
   I called again. And again, I got no answer.
   A cold shiver shot up my spine.
   I was being watched.
   I twisted my neck and looked back over my shoulder. I saw no one.
   However fast I turned, whichever way my head was facing, it was always behind.
   Panic!
   I ran. I did not care where to.
   The ‘being’ behind me was still there. Watching.
   No matter how fast I ran. No matter how quick I could turned.
   My pace began to slow. My tongue lolled from my mouth as I panted.
   My legs collided and tangled. I slammed into the dead white ground.
   I tried to lift myself, but I was weak. My arms simply collapsed.
   Vision faded to a dreary blur. Even then, I noticed not everything was white anymore.
   The ground I was on…
   It was liquid.
   I could barely notice the blue-green.
   And I could smell the fumes.
   Blood.
   I was lying helpless in a puddle of blood.
   It was not my blood.
   It was just… here.
   I gasped a desperate breath as I tried to haul myself. My legs would not get a grip. I could not move.
   There was a presence. Above and behind me. I did not have the strength to look over at it. But I could feel its heat. I could feel its breath on my spine.
   I lay helpless. Waiting for whatever was to come.
   Sudden pressure on my left wrist. ‘It’ was stepping on my arm, pinning it to the blood-soaked whiteness.
   “What are you?” I moaned. “What do you want?”
   It did not reply.
   I felt it grab one of the blades on my arm. I tried to shake it off. My efforts were pathetic.
   The creature started pulling on the blade. I felt the flesh tear. The blood spit.
   I listened to the cracked breathing, and the squelching as the blade was twisted.
   I cried in pain. My arm burned with agony. My tail flailed aimlessly in the air. It hit nothing.
   The blade, after several sharp pulls, tore from my arm, taking a large fleshy chunk with it. My insides screamed, but all I could do was whimper softly to myself as I watch the arteries squirm and pour.
   My sight was starting to come back, but I could still only make out bare shadows and the stinking blood that surrounding me.
   I screamed in distress as I felt my own blade sink into my back.
   It held there for a while, before it was dragged down across my spine, leaving a deep, bloody gash, which cut through my backbone, disabling my lower body.
   I ran out of breath and my head dropped. I wished to lose consciousness, but the blade slowly dragging through my flesh kept me wide awake, and I could do nothing but whine and yelp hopelessly.
   I felt a tingling as the blade tore down towards my belly.
   It was making patterns in me.
   It was writing on me!
   ‘It’ ran the blade over every inch of my body, my blood adding to the ever-growing puddle I lay in. Tainted with tears. The wounds slowly scarring over, not lessening the pain which radiated from me.
   I groaned as the blade scarred my face.
   The bright lights. The swirl of the liquid flowers. The peaceful, white silence. I noticed it all as my mind faded…
   The blade moved from my skin. I heard a faint clatter as it hit the ground nearby.
   My eyes were gradually becoming more focused.
   Maybe I did not want that.
   I saw the reflection in the blood.
   Scarred from tip to tail. But those scars were words.
   Large, loud words.
   I did it!
   I DID IT!
   I cried out. Yelling till my throat clogged with blood.
   Every inch of my body screaming I did it!
   I DID IT!
   Those words. Printed over me like graffiti.
   I DID IT! I DID IT!
   “NO!!!” I cried. “WHAT IS THIS?!!”
   I felt the presence again. I faced it. My eyes still not clear enough to make out the figure.
   “This, Toby, is your newest nightmare.”
   The voice filled my head. It was familiar, but shattered. Broken.
   “Please…” I whimpered “Let me go…! Let me go!!”
   “I am afraid I cannot do that Toby.”
   I screamed as the pain shot to my hearts. I rolled onto my back, crushing my useless arm.
   “You want to run. I know.” The voice said.
   I could not talk. I could hardly breath anymore.
   “Well I have one question…” It spoke.
   My eyes found there focus. I looked up clearly at the figure. It looked back.
   “… How can we run from ourselves?”

“Toby! Wake up Toby!”
   I opened my eyes with a desperate gasp, and I stared into Cassie’s face.
   “Oh thank God! You’re awake!” She sighed. She looked tense.
   I twisted my neck and confirmed where I was. In the waiting room. Surrounded by lots of curious faces.
   It was a dream. Just a bad dream.
   “Cassie?” I managed to whisper.
   “Yes, it’s me, Toby.” She turned to the crowd of humans that had gathered around us. “Alright. Could you please go back to your seats, ladies and gentlemen?”
   The crowd reluctantly dispersed, leaving me with Cassie, Tal, and another Hork-Bajir who must have arrived while I was asleep.
   “Are you alright Toby?” Cassie asked.
   My throat was burning, I had a throbbing headache, I was scared stiff, my entire body was shivering, I felt like I was going to throw up…
   “Yes, Cassie.”
   She placed her hand at the base of the first blade on my head and held it there. “Your temperature seems fine, but you look terrible. Are you sick?”
   I was panting. The horrible visions remained in my head, and I saw it still so clearly.
   “Toby?”
   “Yes?”
   “Are you listening to me?”
   The visions were burned into me. I felt dizzy, like I could suddenly lose consciousness. I managed to keep upright, with Tal trying his best to hold me steady, his hands resting firmly on my shoulders.
   “Toby?!” Cassie yelled.
   “What Cassie?” I replied gloomily.
   I must have seemed dazed. She could tell my eyes were not focusing, and she must have seen my fear, the fear buried behind them
   “Tal, help me take her upstairs, she can’t stay here.”
   “Yes, Cassie.” Tal replied. “Toby is sick?”
   “I don’t know Tal, but something is definitely very wrong with her.”
   And with that, they took me by my numb arms and hauled me out of the waiting room, dragging me past all the curious human eyes and leaving the other Hork-Bajir to sit and wonder what had just happened. Once we were out and into the empty hallway, Tal lifted me carefully into his arms and continued to carry me that way.
   I must have fallen from consciousness briefly, because the next thing I remember: we were up three stories and walking into a large, bright office. I weakly lifted my head to look around, just as Tal shuffled me from his chest, and gently laid me down on the floor.
   My senses were quickly returning to normal. I sat up and balanced myself with my tail, which was still quaking.
   “Toby?” Cassie knelt down beside me. “How are you feeling?”
   I paused, like I needed to check. “I feel better, thank you.”
   “Do you think you’ll be alright to sit there for a while?”
   “I think so.” I responded with little confidence.
   “OK,” She turned to Tal. “Tal, don’t leave her side. If anything happens while I’m gone, just shout for me and I will come back.”
   He nodded. “Tal not leave Toby.”
   “Good.” She reached out to a small desk and opened a drawer, taking out a small, yellow toy. It was shaped like a little human. She handed it to me. “That’s called a stress toy.” She said. “If you feel something is wrong, just squeeze it. It’s supposed to calm people down.”
   So I squeezed.
   I guess I must have squeezed a bit too hard. The little mans head exploded, and I was splashed with gooey green liquid. My lower jaw started quivering.
   Cassie blinked. She took the shredded mess from me and threw it in a small cylinder in the corner of the room. “Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea…” She muttered to herself.
   She twisted and looked around the room, eventually setting her eyes on a large box. She ran over and fiddled with controls placed on the side, then wheeled it in front of us, as the large, grey rectangle at the front began glowing.
   “Here, watch some TV. Maybe that will calm you down.” She angled the ‘TV’ in front of us and ran out of the room, her eyes staying on me till she was out of the door.
   The TV began showing us a picture. I recognised the technology. I focused my attention on it and tried to dispel the memories and the fear.
   I watched the TV. The colours. The people. The sounds. It invited me.
   It even took my mind off of the horrifying images… for a while.
   But it was always there. In the back of my head. I felt myself shudder as I saw myself, dying, screaming, my body bloodied with those words.
   I DID IT!
   The words wrapped around me, they forced out every last breath. Tortured me. Hurt me.
   Changed me.
   And I saw myself. I was no longer who I thought I was.
   I saw anger. A murderer…
   Warmth. It formed a hook around my shaking waist. It held me down and pulled me close. The images faded, I stopped shivering.
   Tal was sat next to me. He knew I was scared. He was trying to comfort me as he wrapped his arm around me.
   “Toby not be scared. Tal is here.” He gently whispered in my ear.
   I smiled and took his hand. “Thank you, Tal.”
   “Toby feel better now?”
   “Yes, I feel much better.”
   So we sat there, watching the TV in astonishment, hand-in-hand. I quickly forgot the visions and the trauma. It was as if Tal was healing me inside. Like he knew exactly what I needed.
   Like he was the missing link I had never found.
   We watched the TV for a while. It was showing us several people sitting and talking about a relationship one of them had with another. It was a confusing affair. Two of them - two human males named Joey and Chandler - were in a relationship with the same female. It was a tense, exciting situation that I never believed possible.
   I heard loud stomping out in the corridor. Cassie burst through the door holding several folders and a large purple cushion. She saw us and almost dropped it all to the ground.
   “Toby…?”
   I shushed her. “Joey has put Chandler in a big box. I would like to see what happens next.”
   My eyes stayed glued to the screen as Cassie walked beside me.
   “Wow,” She said exultantly. “I should use the TV more often!”
   She placed the folders on her desk and handed me the soft, fluffy cushion.
   “I thought you were having a panic attack. You’re looking a lot better now though.”
   “It was only a bad dream.” I was shocking even myself by saying that. It was only a few minutes ago that I was hardly able to breath and wanting to die. Now I was talking about it like it was just a terrible itch.
   Cassie gazed at me, surprised. She turned to Tal, now devoid of fear, replaced by concern and confusion. “Tal, could you go and get us some water, please?”
    He nodded and got up to leave the room, looking up and down the empty hallway before strolling away.
    “Why did you send him to get water?” I asked.
   “Toby I want to talk…”
   She used a small rectangular object from her desk and turned off the TV. She took a chair from behind the desk and moved it beside me, sitting down in it.
   “What is wrong, Cassie?”
   “Toby…” She paused and looked at her feet. Like she could not find the words to say. “What was that?!”
   “It was a dream.” I responded with complacency.
   “What just happened is not normal. Dreams should not affect you like that.” Her expression was growing serious.
   I looked away, embarrassed. She was right, and I realised I was simply trying to shrug it off as a normal nightmare. Why? Was I just avoiding the memory?
   “I have never known a Hork-Bajir screaming in their sleep before.” She continued.
   “I was screaming in my sleep?”
   “Yes, you were. Loudly.”
   I was shocked, though it definitely explained my sore throat.
   “And you were kicking a lot, like… like you were being attacked…” She held out her hand to mine and I took it. “Toby, what exactly happened in this dream?”
   I looked to the ground clutched the cushion to my belly. I was starting to shudder again. “I am sorry, but I do not want to tell you, Cassie.”
   “I understand.” She moved closer and comforted me with a smile. “I just want you to know that I’m here for you. If you have a problem, I will do everything I can for you. Not just because it’s my job to care for you, but because you’re a friend, and I don‘t want to see you like that.”
   “I know, Cassie, but I really do not want to revisit what I saw. I do not believe I have ever seen such… images.”
   “I’m sure by tonight you’ll have completely forgotten about it.” She caressed my neck with her hand. “And I’m sure Tal will help. You two seem pretty close”
   “We only met this morning.” I stammered defensively.
   She grinned. “Well, you know what? I think he likes you.”
   I snorted, holding in my laughter. “He is a Hork-Bajir.”
   “No. I mean, like.”
   I sidled my head. “I do not understand.”
   She exhaled loudly. “Never mind. I‘m sure you‘ll find out soon enough.”
   She pulled herself out of her chair and shuffled over to her desk, sorting through her files. “So was Tal already here before you?” She asked, bringing up a new conversation.
   “He came with me. I told him I was coming here, so he followed.” I answered.
   “Was he called in for anything? I remember he came in last week for the usual check-up.” She sat cross-legged on the edge of her desk. “As far as I’m concerned, he isn’t booked in for at least another month.”
   “He is not booked in. He just decided to follow me here.”
   “And you let him?”
   “Yes.” I grinned, “I thought it would be nice to let him come. He seemed eager.”
   “But Toby, we planned to go to a parade…” She pointed out, annoyed.
   “I know, but I suspected Tal would change his mind when we told him that. I will take him home.”
   “And if he wants to come?”
   I blinked and averted my gaze. “I guess I did not think he would want to. If he did, then I see no harm in him coming along with us.”
   “We can’t take him into town, Toby, it’s going to be packed out today. If he gets lost, we won’t find him, unless we’re incredibly lucky, or somebody decides he looks out of place and brings him here.”
   “I have already told him to stay with me. I promise you, he would not get lost.”
   “Accidents happen.” She instantly replied.
   I stood up, towering over her. There was a significant size difference, so I had to crane my neck. “If he wants to come, then I will make him my responsibility. It would be my decision, after all.”
   She smiled and took my arm.”If you think he will be safe, then sure, he can come, but it’s not just him I’m worried about…”
   “Do not worry about me, Cassie.” I chuckled.
   “We don’t have to go. We’re probably late anyway, and I think you could do with a good sleep.”
   “No Cassie, I told you last night that I would come, and I am here now.”
   “I don’t want to force you into anything…”
   I laughed. “But I want to go.”
   “Fair enough,” She gathered a couple of folders and held them under her arm. “But if I sense anything wrong with you, I’m taking you and Tal straight home. I don’t want anyone getting hurt.” She walked over to the door the and held it open for me. “Come on. I’ve got to give my Dad these folders, then we can go. Hopefully we haven’t missed the whole thing.” She laughed quietly to herself like what she said was funny. I could never understand human humour. I doubt I ever will.
   We met Tal staring blankly at the nearest water dispenser, just as we thought he would be. He had been standing there for ten minutes with absolutely no idea what to do. We told him that we had to go and gave him a quick lesson on how to pour out a drink. I still do not think he understood.
   We were now walking down through the long halls to what Cassie called the ‘Housing centre’, where all the animals were kept. We moved through many narrow corridors and down several flights of stairs, passing busy staff along the way.
   “Where we go now?” Tal asked, bored.
   Cassie replied, “We’re going to see my father, to give him his stuff. Then if you want, you can come with us into the town.”
   He ****ed his head. “Town?”
   “Where lots of humans go.” Cassie continued, maybe trying to put him off.
   “Toby go?” He questioned.
   Cassie put on an ‘I told you so’ grin towards me. At least that is what I thought it was. Even after spending a lot of the past two years with her, I could never be sure.
   “Yes Tal,” Cassie said. “She’s going.”
   He gave a giddy smile. “Then Tal go.”
   I looked to him over my shoulder. “Then you must promise to stay beside us. There will be many humans there.”
   Tal nodded. “Always stay with Toby.”
   It seemed to me that Tal was beginning to get excited at the prospect of spending the rest of the day with us. It suddenly dawned on me what Cassie meant when she said he ‘liked’ me. I could not help but notice his tendency to stare either…
   We squeezed under a door, careful not to scrape out blades on the frame, and walked into the Housing centre, with Cassie in the lead.
   It was a very large room, filled with cages and stables and glass vivariums. Inside them were a wide variety of animals, all watching us and pacing in their encloses as we walked past. A hundred eyes (including Tal’s) gazing at me like some sort of spectacle.
   “Where is your father, Cassie?” I asked.
   “He’s at the large enclosure.” She answered. “He’s about to go into surgery.”
   My eyes widened. “What is wrong with him?”
   “No, it’s not him.” She rolled her eyes. “He’s helping perform surgery on an animal that has just come in.”
   “I am sorry. I thought you meant your father was going to receive the surgery.”
   “Surgery for what?”
   That was a new, deeper voice that come from an open doorway we were heading for. A head appeared around the corner, grinning a toothy grin. It was Cassie’s father.
   He had a strange piece of blue material on his head, and he wore long white gloves and an large blue ‘sheet’ which covered most of his body. I expect this was what they wore during surgerys.
   “Nothing, Dad.” Cassie groaned. She handed him the folders, just as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead.
   “How’s my little girl? Still playing with her friends? You should be working.”
   Cassie casually pushed away. “Dad, you’re embarrassing me.” She said meekly.
   “Don’t be silly, Cassie. I’m you’re Dad. I’m allowed to embarrass you.” He showed a strangely dominating smile.
   He looked up at me. “Hello Toby!”
   He was very cheerful, and it was rather overwhelming after the recent events, so I just smiled broadly and said, “Hello.”
   “Who’s your boyfriend?” Walter asked, referring to Tal.
   I nudged Tal, wanting him to introduce himself.
   “My name Tal Ganat.” He said.
   They shook hands, once Tal remembered to do so.
   “I’m Walter. Cassie’s father.” Walter started. Then he came back to me. “By the way, Toby, Ket has an appointment tomorrow.”
   “My mother?” I tilted my head. My mother had come in for the regular check-up only a week or so ago. “Why? Has something happened?”
   “Oh, don’t worry, it’s nothing serious. She won’t be walking too well for the next few days though.” Walter informed me.
   My eyes went wide. “What is wrong with her legs?”
   “It’s not the legs we’re worried about.”
   My eyes went wider still.
   “We think she cracked a bone in her toe.”
   “Oh…” I said with a hidden sigh of relief.
   “Could you ask her to come in tomorrow?” Cassie asked.
   “Yes. I will tell her tonight.”
   “Thanks, Toby.” Walter said. “Anyway, I’d better go and make a start on the surgery. Crocodiles won’t wait all day, you know.”
   “Crocodile?” Tal jumped in.
   “Yes, a crocodile. Do you know what a crocodile is Tal?” Walter asked.
   “No. What is crocodile?” Tal was getting ever-more excited, it was starting to seem strange, yet rather welcoming.
   “I’ll show you, if you want.” Walter turned to walk down the dark, narrow hallway he had appeared from. “Come with me.”
   So we all followed him through the narrow passage, and eventually came into another bright room. It was a relief to come out of the hallway; Hork-Bajir eyes are not made for the dark. I could barely see a thing.
   This new room was empty and looked as if it was in the middle of construction. At one side was a simple, blank wall painted beige spanning the huge room. It felt unfinished somehow, and staring up at the empty, blank space, something did not feel quite right…
    At the other side, stood a big glass box that may have been twenty foot wide by 10 foot tall. Inside was a lush, vibrant setting of little trees, rocks, and a small, rather attractive pond. I would have jumped in, were it not for the animal inside who could rip my bladder out of my mouth with a timely twitch.
   It lay there, by its pond, basking in the heat of a fluorescent lamp burning bright above. It was asleep, by the look of it.
   “Isn’t she a beauty?” Walter commented, as we walked up the window of the enclosure.
   “She is big!” Tal gawked.
   She was indeed big. Very big.
   “Fourteen foot long.” Walter explained.
   Tal did not understand human measurement, but he was amazed nonetheless.
   I quickly calculated the length myself. The crocodile, from tip-to-tail, was twice as long as me.
   Yes, it was big.
   “We picked her up from the local zoo.” Cassie added. “Respiratory problems.”
   A group of uniformed humans came by the enclosure and began mumbling amongst themselves, whilst another group appeared to be setting up a metal platform at a thick door at one side. They were going to load the crocodile onto the platform, presumably after the other group had restricted the hulking reptile.
   “What are you going to do?” I questioned Walter.
   “We’ve got to operate directly on the lungs, so we’re going to have to cut her open. Then…” He glanced over at Tal. “… Operate.”
   “Hurt crocodile?” Tal intervened.
   “No Tal.” Walter reassured. “We are going to make her better.”
   “Tal help?” There was no question about Tal’s determination to learn more about the crocodile.
   Cassie answered him. “I think surgery would be a little too complicated for you, Tal.” She held an arm on his shoulder. “When she is better, you can come and see her.”
   “Anyway,” Walter interrupted. “You had best get going now. We’re about to move her, apparently.” He glanced over at the group of people who appeared to have started without him.
   “Alright Dad.” Cassie said.
   “Where are you going anyway?”
   “We’re going to the parade that’s in town.” Cassie answered with upmost confidence.
   Walter raised a hairy human eyebrow. “With two Hork-Bajir?”
   “We’ll be fine, Dad. We won’t be in with the crowd. I’ll find somewhere secluded.”
   Walter chuckled. “You’ve grown up so fast, Cassie, I hardly recognise you anymore.” This, I could tell, was more human humour.
   Cassie rolled her eyes. “I’m not a little kid anymore, Dad.”
   This was a ‘good-natured’ conversation. Humans can say anything at all and still sound ‘good-natured’, I have found.
   “Ronnie would know.” Walter teased, then he laughed. “You enjoy your day, sweetheart.”
   “Thanks, Dad.”
   “Have a good time you two.” Adressing me and Tal.
   With that, Walter jogged off towards the group of men, who at this point, were opening the enclosure doors.
   We wandered off, back into the dark hallway.
   “You’re father is in a good mood.” I told Cassie, once we re-entered the Housing centre.
   “He loves his job. And since I told him I was engaged, he’s been over the moon.” The she added quietly to herself, “Even though his first thought was that I was too young to get married.”
   “‘Over the moon?’”
   “It’s an expression, Toby.” She pointed across the room to a side-door. “We need to go that way.”
   “What is through that door?” I asked.
   “The car park.” She said. “We’re taking my truck.”

Offline BluJugganaut

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »
CHAPTER 5

‘Someone once said life was for living, life was for happiness, life was love. I cannot help but feel that I have been lied to.

I had been to many places with Cassie, so many that it is hard to remember them all. I had been to the zoo, the mall, the beach…
   But we had never taken her truck before.
   It was huge. I was over six feet tall, yet I had to look up at it.
   It reminded me of the cars parked all around us. Like them, it had wheels and windows, but the shape was different. The black paint seemed shinier as well, and there were no dirt splashes on the underside like the other cars had.
   “What do you think, Toby?” Cassie asked. “I bought it just the other day.”
   “It is new?”
   “Yeah. Expensive, too. Very expensive.” She said, straining the word ‘very’ in an unusual way. She strolled up to it and leaned against the flat, open back. “And I’m not going to use it as a work car…often.”
   “Why is it so expensive?” I asked, still perplexed about the human currency.
   “It’s practical, and it runs on biofuel. It has 5 seats, air-con, sattelite navigation, a built-in stereo, off-road settings, strong and durable frame, plenty of space, fold back seats, tinted windows, alloy wheels…” She blinked from me to Tal. “Sorry, you won’t have the slightest idea what I’m talking about.” She blushed noticeably.
   “Not really, but it sounds very nice.” I complimented.
   “I hardly driven it yet. I bought it two days ago and my mother drove it to my house. I drove it here this morning.”
   She retrieved a key from a small pouch on her clothing and used it to open the door on the near side of the truck. She climbed in with some effort and sat on a soft leathery seat. “You and Tal will have to come in the other side.” And then she added, “One of you has to sit on the back seats.”
   “Will there enough room?” I walked by the door and peeped through to view the inside. It was spacious, but it would be a tight fit for two fully-grown Hork-Bajir.
   “If you lowered your heads, then there should be enough space.” She informed us.
   I turned and saw Tal, keeping his distance from the truck.
   After a short pause, Cassie spoke to him. “Is something wrong Tal?”
   “Tal not like car.” He responded instantly.
   “Why not? It’s not going to hurt you.”
   He thought it over for a moment, remembering his earlier incident. “Not hurt Tal?”
   “No, it won’t. Now come on, or you won’t see Captain Giggles.”
   His curiosity quickly returned. “Captain… Giggles?”
   “Yes. You’ll miss him if you don’t come.”
   He cautiously walked up to my side, keeping his eyes on the large truck. His eyes followed mine into the small interior of the truck. His little fear somehow gone with Cassie’s words.
   “Too small for Tal and Toby.” He commented.
    Cassie rolled her eyes and sat around in her chair. “You’ll fit.” She leant over to the other side and opened the opposite door. “Do you still want to come?”
   He stared blankly at his feet, unsure, but he soon made up his mind, “Tal go with Toby and Cassie.”
   So I took him by the arm and led him to the other side of the truck. Cassie folded the second seat at the front of the truck forward, and Tal managed to squeeze through the little space and into the back seats.
   He was lucky, he had three seats. I had just one.
   It was terribly uncomfortable. There was little, if any room for my legs; my tail was being crushed by my backside on the leathery seat, and, apart from that, had no space at all - I had it huddled against my chest; my head was scraping the roof, and I had to keep it held forward, so that my blades would not damage the truck.
   That was excluding the unbearable heat.
   “Comfortable?” That was Cassie, sounding excited as she played with the controls in her new car.
   I shuffled awkwardly. It was enough of an answer.
   “Sorry…” Cassie said guiltily. “Maybe it is a little too tight.”
   I started panting in the intense heat coming through the magnifying windows. Tal was splayed out over the three back seats, he legs held inward, also feeling the heat.
   Cassie put her hand to her chin and seemed deep in thought, examining several controls in between the two seats. I heard her mumbling to herself , apparently ‘not having a clue what to press’.
   I took the time to explore. I had to avoid the temptation of pressing some buttons, as they had rather inviting little pictures on them, though I had no idea what they were for. I also spotted a Hork-Bajir Stuffed toy by the front window. I presumed it was from the Yellowstone Gift Shop.
   There was something hanging from a small mirror on the roof of the car, and it appeared very similar in shape to an Earth tree. I removed it from the mirror and discovered an overpowering stench coming from the material as I lifted it to my snout. The smell was overwhelming and I sneezed, dropping the fake tree to the floor of the car.
   Cassie picked it up, still focusing on the mass of buttons between us. “Toby, please don’t play with anything.”
   “Sorry.” I said meekly.
   She began pressing several buttons, none of which seemed to please her; and she was getting frustrated.
   “I wish they would put less gadgets in these…” She complained.
   I faced Tal in the small central mirror. He was busy trying to make room for himself.
   At least he had some.
   I folded my legs and slumped forward in my seat, resisting the urge to stretch out. Meanwhile, Cassie had found a new batch of buttons the other side of her seat.
   “Aha! I think I found it!” She said in relief.
   There was suddenly a lot more space around us. The clear glass windows around us began to descend into the metal door of the car, accompanied by a slight buzzing sound.
   Each window was now drawn open, also one on the roof of the truck.
   “Well…” Cassie shrugged. “At least I know how to open every window.”
   I leant my head out of the open window and felt the cool outer breeze against my jaw.
   Suddenly, a roar. The truck was vibrating, shaking. I retreated my head back inside and watched as Cassie prepared herself in her seat. She had started the trucks engine, and hundreds of little colour lit up around us.
   Noise! Something blaring in my ear! I jerked towards the middle of the truck in shock from the blaring sounds.
   “Relax,” Cassie reassured. “It’s just music.” She turned a dial on a small console and the music quietened.
   “What is music?” Tal queried from the back.
   Cassie hesitated, searching for an appropriate answer. “It’s, um… entertainment.”
   “It was very loud,” I commented.
   “Sorry. I hope you aren’t too shaken up.” She patted my cramped leg. “I think my mum’s going through her classical music phase again, and she plays it a little too loud.” She laughed and turned another dial. The music changed to a strange, horrible buzzing noise, before it tuned to the sound of a steady, rumbling beat.
   “This is also music?” I asked.
   “Yes, but this is Snoop Dogg. It’s a different type of music.”
   “It does sound different.” I confirmed “But what is ‘Snoop Dogg’?”
   “Snoop Dogg is the man that’s singing.” She sat up in her seat and put both hands on the wheel before her. “Could you move your tail? I need to use the gear stick.”
   I shifted my stray tail and she pulled the bulbous stick to one side. The truck roared again and rolled from its parking space, Cassie using her wheel to direct the trucks movement.
   We bumped our way through the large car park and turned onto a narrow tarmac path. Our speed increased and I was thrust back into my seat as Cassie repeatedly changed gear. She drove faster as we made our way through dense countryside, and whilst speeding down a straight open road, I, rather stupidly, stuck my head out of the window for a better view. The wind slapped me like a rock, and I retreated my head, feeling quite nauseous.
   I did not like this at all.
   Thankfully, we began to slow down as we approached a huge collection of buildings. I felt brave enough to poke my head out through the window again and take in the strange sights all around.
   I saw crowds of humans running around in a hurry, dragging along with them large plastic bags and briefcases; some were wearing colourful, bright clothing and seemingly enjoying themselves; others were smartly-dressed and formal, not quite so fulfilled. There was such a variety. It was amazing to just watch it all fly past.
   There were other cars, in front and behind us, going off in many directions, zooming past at high speeds and honking their hideous horns. I blinked up at the beautiful, cloudless blue sky and saw planes… so many planes floating high up above us.
   The human world was manic, to say the least.
   I pulled my head back in through the window to hear Cassie explaining various landmarks to Tal as we veered around another turn.
   “… And that is the Arts centre.” Cassie told him.
   “Arts centre is big.” Tal said. “But not as big as Museum.”
   “You’re right, it isn’t.” Cassie agreed.
   “Tal sees dog!” He chirped in amazement, and attempted to climb out of the window, before I pulled him back by his tail. Cassie, now familiar with some of her buttons, rightly closed Tal’s window before he could jump out in another burst of misplaced enthusiasm. He continued to stare out of the car with his snout pressed against the glass.
    The car kept on going for at least another ten minutes, according to the cars clock, and the overly repetitive scenery was getting boring. Cassie and Tal were involved in small conversation, passing the time by.
   I found myself playing with a small compartment in front of my seat, opening and closing it, finding what was inside. I found inside a small metal frame holding two round pieces of tinted glass, each accompanied by an earpiece. Humans wore them, but they were obviously not created for Hork-Bajir-use. I placed them neatly back into the compartment, just as one of the blades on my head pulled open a small flap above me.
   I opened up this new flap. It was another mirror! This one, though, stared right back at me. I looked into my own deep, red eyes, my dilated black pupils connecting with the up-close reflection and focused.
   I smiled at myself. It was not often I saw myself in a mirror, so I always made the best of the opportunity. It was also strangely uplifting.
   I scratched off a small patch off dirt that had somehow gathered below my jaw, when I noticed Tal, blinking into my reflection.
   His eyes met mine, and we just stared.
   I do not know why, but it was as if there was something between us. Something deeper…
   “We’re here” Cassie interrupted.
   I hesitantly took my gaze from Tal and looked around the new car park we had arrived in. This one was smaller than the one at the rehabilitation centre, and enclosed by several shorter buildings. There were no other cars here, and the tarmac was covered in litter and old metal trash cans.
   “Where are we?” I asked.
   “Well, we can’t go directly to the parade. They don’t allow cars to go through.” She explained. “And I think it would be better to watch from a secluded area. It’s much safer.”
   “Where is parade?” Tal asked, popping his head through the seats between us.
   “Just on the other side of this building.” She pointed through the window at the largest of the buildings containing us. “That’s where we’re going. McDonalds.”
   “We are going inside that building?” I asked.
   “Nope. We’re going on the roof. It’s a nice view from up there.” She opened the car door and hopped down to the ground, slamming the door shut behind her.
   I felt the warmth of Tal’s claw rub up my squashed tail. He leant over my seat and grinned sweetly. “Tal watch parade with Toby.”
   Before I could reply, the door to my right opened. Cassie reached in and removed the belt wrapped over me.
   “You coming? Or are you going to sit in the truck all day?” Cassie said.
   I clambered from the truck, helping Tal squeeze out from the back, and we stood in the middle of the small parking area. Out of the truck, I easily caught the scent venting from the ‘McDonalds’, though to be honest, it was not a scent I enjoyed. Tal was finding it just as repulsive as I was.
   “What does Tal smell?” He grumbled.
   “That’s food,” Cassie explained. “McDonalds food, to be exact.”
   I held my snout as I focused on the flat roof of the building. “And we are going up there?”
   “Yep.”
   I gulped. Maybe out loud.
   “I’m going to get a drink. Do you want any water?” Cassie kindly asked.
   “Yes, thank you.” I said.
   “Thank you.” Tal reverbed.
   “Will you both be alright to stay here by the car while I’m gone?”
   We both nodded, and Cassie walked off and out of the car park, leaving us there to sit on an awkward bench in a dirty, littered corner.
   There was little room on the bench for both of us. Human seating was never intended to suit fully-grown Hork-Bajir; the shape was uncomfortable, and there was never enough room for the wide Hork-Bajir tail. This bench was maybe 4 feet in width and framed with splintered wood and rusty metal frames.
   We both hesitated, thinking about how to deal with the situation.
   “Toby sit.” Tal offered.
   I smiled thankfully at him. “But there is enough room for both of us.”
   Growing up on the Home world, my species were never under any local threat. We had no predators, and no prey. There was plenty of food, and little need for excessive shelter. Our people did not have to fight or argue for resources, so we grew to share, and it seems to have become almost instinctual.
   He knew that there was enough room for both of us, yet he seemed determined to let me have the entire bench.
   I sat myself down on one side, giving my tail enough room behind me. I left him plenty of room.
   He shook his head. “Tal sit on ground.”
   I smiled at his obvious desire to please me. “You can sit on this bench with me.”
   I shuffled over and Tal, looking rather privileged, hesitantly sat himself beside me.
   The seat was no more comfortable then that of the seat I had in the truck, but at least I had some headroom this time.  I let my neck roll back against the wall and breathed in the strange air. It was not a very nice area surrounding us, in fact, it was horrible. Everywhere you looked, there were piles of broken rusted metal, old abandoned buildings, litter… Humans, despite a gross obssession of appearance and hygiene, were far from a clean species.
   A small plastic bag blew onto my foot. I kicked it off. “I do not like this place.”
   “No trees.” Tal observed.
   “Humans do not grow many trees in their cities,” I said, thinking it would be a nice opportunity to educate him. “They usually keep the trees and cities separate. I do not believe they need the trees here.”
   “But when Toby and Tal are hungry… No trees.”
   “We will not be here long.” I took note of the sounds behind the McDonalds building. The sound of humans, children and music. “The parade has already started.”
   “What is parade?”
   “It is…” I stopped mid-sentence, realising that I myself did not know exactly what a parade was. “I don’t not know what it is, but I believe it is a human ritual.”
   “Why Cassie take Toby to see parade?”
   I raised an eyebrow, confused as to why he asked. “Cassie has taken me to see many human landmarks in the local area. I suppose she wanted me to see this aswell.”
   “Where has Toby been?” He leant into the bench casually and folded his knees underneath. He blinked almost flirtatiously. I could not help but laugh to myself.
   “Many places. I cannot even remember them all. Cassie and I have travelled together every week for the past two years.”
   “What is Toby’s favourite?”
   I paused to think. “… The beach… or the zoo… maybe the mall…”
   He wanted to seem like he understood me, and looked away, fiddling with the tip of his tail.
   “Maybe someday, I shall show you. I am sure Cassie would not mind.”
   He smiled at me. “Tal go with Toby and Cassie?”
   “Yes. You cannot go on your own; you would get lost.”
   “Tal knows.”
   “You must always stay with me when we are outside of the park.” I repeated.
   He nodded acceptingly. “Tal stay with Toby outside of park. Not get lost.”
   “Thank you, Tal.” I gazed at him, into his beautiful red eyes, and, once again, felt that undeniable connection. The sense that there was something different than the usual Hork-Bajir friendliness between us.  Like holding magnets, our eyes did not trail or flicker - they were one being…
   “Ah! Here you are.”
   It was Cassie’s voice. I broke from Tal’s eyes and blinked, wide-eyed up at her.
   She walked around the corner, holding a small, brown paper bag, with a distinctive yellow ‘M’ on the front. She strolled up beside the bench and sat on the frame beside my tail. “I could only get bottles. I hope that’s alright.” She said, pulling out two containers of water from her bag.
   I took the containers, handing one over to Tal. “Thank you.”
   “I’ve been told that the parade has been on for about five minutes now.” She informed us.
   I nodded. “I can hear lots of humans, but I did not know if it was from the parade.” I paused. “… What is a parade?”
   “You’ll see, once we’re on the roof.”
   I held back my head to look vertically upwards at the lip of the wall, where the flat roof began. “How will you get up there?”
   “Don’t worry, I’ll find a way. After what I’ve been through, a single-story McDonalds wall isn’t going to be difficult.”
   Tal, struggling to open his bottle, decided to offer Cassie the easy route. “Tal carry Cassie up wall.” He stood up tall in front of her, holding his disfigured bottle, and trying his best to look heroic.
   Cassie laughed and strode up beside him. “Thank you Tal, but I’m not as light as I look.”
   She held out her hand, and Tal handed her the bottle, which she nimbly repaired and opened, then taking a long gulp as instruction to Tal, showing him, and me, how to use it. After swigging a substantial amount, she gave it back to Tal, who thanked her and continued to stare blankly at it.
   Once he had figured it out himself, and had sprayed some water into his mouth, he came back to the conversation. “Small climb.” He reached up his arm, showing that, with just a small hop, he could easily grab the ledge. “Cassie hold Tal’s shoulders. Cassie not too heavy.”
   Cassie smiled, like he had paid her a big compliment. “Alright then, but take it slowly.”
   Tal turned his back to Cassie and faced the blank, grey wall, examining it over with slit black pupils, and he bent his legs, lowering himself closer to the ground.  Cassie, being polite, hauled her arms around his shoulders and clamped her hands together around his neck, then doing the same with her feet around his waist. Once she signalled she was on tightly enough, Tal rose on his legs back to normal height.
   He twisted his neck and looked close into Cassie’s eyes, smiling. “See? Cassie not heavy.”
   Cassie returned him a grin and clung tighter round his neck. “Just remember to be careful, I don’t want to end up in casualty.”
   “Tal is careful.” He reassured her, then proceeded to find pockets in the wall with which to climb.
   I could have easily leapt onto the roof in one bound, but I climbed alongside Tal, finding small crevices in the relatively flat wall and pulling myself up. It was an easy climb, and took me very little time at all till I reached up and hauled myself over the ledge. I stood straight on the top of the ‘McDonalds’ and took in the rather unpleasant scenery.
   It was just a typically dull human roof: Grey gravel flooring, often cracked and covered in dirty puddles that had gathered over years of rain; various shapes and sizes of ground vents spewing the greasy smell of the produced food; and finally, to finish it off, a large, yellow ‘M’ facing outwards on the other side, large enough to sit under and be covered from the baking sun. It was quite a contrast to the bright, beautiful sky.
   Tal effortlessly lifted himself over the edge and stood beside me, allowing Cassie to drop down behind him. She looked around the roof with a broad smile and stood between us.
   “It’s not the nicest place,” She said, “But it’s quiet and out of the way. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be in a busy crowd.”
   “Yes,” I agreed, “It is better. How did you know to come up here?”
   She gave me another human expression, this one telling me I already knew the answer. I did.
   “Oh, yes…” I smiled, embarrassed.
   Cassie had a strange power, given to her by an andalite. That power was to morph into any creature she touched. An amazing power that helped save this entire planet from the invasion of the yeerks. A power that could help six mere youths hold off an entire army.
   I may have been much taller and bulkier than Cassie, but she was far more powerful than me, and Tal, put together. She had so many forms she could morph to: for instance, she would have morphed to a bird to find suitable areas to watch a parade from. She could even morph me if she wanted, though she had agreed to not morph a Hork-Bajir or any other sentient creature again. Her days of fighting were over, and she liked it that way.
   Cassie never enjoyed the war. She was always morally directed, always wanting to do the right thing, and I admired this. I suppose everybody did. Nowadays, she devoted her time to helping us with Ronnie, searching out new areas for us to live, funding the clinics and spending the majority of her time in our company.
   The noise of the human crowds was more prominent from up here. I wandered over to the giant, curved ‘M’ and looked down through one of the arches. Below, not twenty feet from the building, a long, bustling crowd of noisy humans stretched across the sidewalk and along the road. The crowds seemed to spread for miles down each side. Some people were cheering and laughing, others watched silently, and some waved small, colourful objects in the air above their heads. But this is not what caught my attention.
   In the middle of the crowds, on the black tarmac road, a large group of organised, uniformed humans marched in a strangely comical fashion, blaring unusual brass instruments and hitting big rumbling drums. They marched away to the left, creating a loud musical drone that, to be perfectly honest, was completely different to that of ’Snoop Dogg’s’ sound, though no less enjoyable.
   Before and behind this group of uniformed musicians were large, misshapen vehicles, moving at a slow speed between the crowds. They carried huge figures on top, resembling fake humans and objects, along with one or two people waving from atop the base of the vehicle.
   This line of displays and uniformed patrols continued as far as my weak Hork-Bajir eyes could see. “This is the parade?” I asked.
   Cassie leant up beside the large ‘M’. “Yes, this is it. What do you think?”
   “I believe I will enjoy this.” I concluded, keeping my eyes on the passing vehicles, which led into another patrol of uniformed humans.
   Tal crawled into the next arch along. “Loud.”
   “It probably will be.” Cassie surmised. “There’s a lot of music in parades.”
   Cassie was perhaps not as excited about the parade as me and Tal were, but she had probably seen them many times before. She moved to sit on a vent a few feet away, maybe to relax, maybe to think…
   I could not help but feel Cassie was still unsure about things, whether she really was as happy and care-free as she made out to be.
   Maybe she just wanted to sit and watch the parade from there. I could never be sure.
   I could not even be sure of my own happiness anymore. Not after what I had been through.
   I closed my eyes and tried to lose myself in the noise of the parade. The sounds breezed over me like leaves. I felt my mind ease and slow as I once again opened my eyes to watch the colours march on by.
   Sometimes it is better to feel there is nothing on your mind and let yourself go. I know I was only worrying myself.
   As I watched the next patrol walk by, I remembered what my mother had said to me: ‘Toby worry too much’. She was right, like she always was about me. She had cared for me all my life, comforted me, fed me when I was little, warmed me, cooed me to sleep on stormy nights, she always knew when something was not quite right, when I was unhappy, when I was scared, and she would always know how to make me feel better again. She knew me completely.
   I remembered her, and I remembered how to be happy.
   It was not long before I realised I had been lying under the shadow of the ‘M’ for quite some time. The colour of the sky had changed to a darker shade of blue, and the air had gotten cooler. I must have fallen asleep.
   I focused on the parade. The next float along was large and pink, and made from little flowers. The women beside strolled along, waving to the appreciative crowd, bathing in the applause and the cheering, enjoying every little moment that passed by. It must have taken a long time to build that float, now they were reaping their rewards.
   But how long for? After today, that reward would be gone. All that effort would eventually come to nothing…
   Tomorrow would be yet another normal day.
   One of the woman looked up, right at me, and she stopped smiling and waving. Her face grew serious and intelligent, though her legs still motored slowly on. She kept direct eye contact, while her lips slowly made out words in an almost silent whisper.
   “Tonight.”
   I could read those words as they left her mouth, and it echoed loudly within my head. How? I could not read human lips…
   The human female stopped suddenly and shook her head. She looked around like she did not know where she was. She seemed to recover her thoughts and walked on like nothing had happened, now reluctantly waving to the oblivious crowd.
   I shook my head and tried to make sense of what was going on. The female kept on moving, making way for a rather disorganised group of humans tumbling and falling around behind the floats.
   “Are you alright Toby?” Cassie called over from her seat.
   Was I? I looked back over my body which I had splayed clumsily over the roof. I was shaking a little bit, though maybe I was just cold. I ran the memory through my head and discarded it as myself being uptight and delusional. Today had not been a good day.
   “I believe so.”
   “You’ve been lying there for about fifteen minutes looking spaced-out.”
   Spaced-out? “What do you mean, Cassie?”
   “Never mind. I’m just a little concerned about you at the moment.”
   I could have told her there was nothing to worry about, but I figured she had a right to be worried, and a reason. I was visibly edgy, and there was undoubtedly something going on with me.
   I turned my head and looked down at the strange disorganised humans, some were falling over, others were throwing pies at each other. Either way, these were obviously not humans I had ever encountered before, at least not in the park.
   “Who are those humans?” I asked Cassie, pointing to the clumsy collaboration.
   “They’re called clowns, they entertain kids.” She smiled at Tal “Maybe we’ll see Captain Giggles. He’s a clown.”
   Tal pointed down to the strange gaggle of humans with an eager claw. “There?”
   I stared to where he pointed, at a rather energetic clown in bright red clothing. He was looking around like he had lost someone, though he did not seem at all upset, and then continued to waddle his way along with the others before being struck in the face by a gooey, edible substance, thrown by and angry looking clown.
   “That’s Chortling Charlie.” Cassie told him. “Don’t ask me how I know. We get a lot of kids in the clinic.”
   “Why are they throwing food at each other?” I asked.
   “Not even I know.”
   I shrugged - a typical human gesture I had picked up over the years. I am sure there was a reason for such violent and wasteful throwing of food, but not even Cassie, a human, knew why. One thing was for certain though, the younger members of the crowd below us were enjoying it.
   “There he is!” Cassie blurted out. “The one with the big blue shoes.”
   To be honest, this clown seemed no different to the others, but he was definitely drawing the most of the crowds attention. He was currently throwing food at the other clowns.
   It was underwhelming, for he was no more entertaining than the other clowns. I‘m sure even Tal felt the same, though I suppose seeing these ‘clowns’ is an extraordinary experience in itself, and I was still having fun.

The sun had moved slowly across the sky as the parade began to die down, dragging distant shadows across the baked surface and retreating behind large onrushing clouds. I lay, relaxed and warmed in the late afternoon heat and watched over the parade, watching as decorated vehicles wheeled their way through the diminished crowd and the last of the music was fading to the distance. I let my troubles float away and stretched out on my belly under the giant ‘M’, taking in the rays and the strange atmosphere.
   Cassie and Tal were several feet away, talking quietly to themselves. I could not hear them clearly.
   I took a long gulp from my bottle, after managing to spill most of it earlier. The water was strange, obviously tainted, but it was still drinkable, and during a hot day like today, I was more than happy to have it. The cool, filtered liquid trickled pleasantly down my throat.
   I finished off my water and placed the bottle down at my side, taking in a deep relaxing breath as I let my head rest on the small smooth wall over the edge of the building. I let my eyes trail off to watch several small birds hopping along the edge and over the patchy roof, they chirped quietly amongst themselves and jumped slowly closer with their curiosity, only to fly away again to find something else to do.
   Cassie laughed quietly to herself, and I looked over to see Tal having a hard time understanding why she found something so amusing. His large eyes took a slight glance at me, before instantly ricocheting off and facing another direction . I ****ed my head curiously at Cassie, who’s laughing had subsided, and she cheerfully shook her head like it was nothing to worry about.
   I reverted from the strangely awkward situation and stared aimlessly outwards over the busy road.
   The almost constant talking behind me started again, and I felt myself being drawn in and trying to listen, but even with a strong sense of hearing, I could not depict what they were saying.
   Then it stopped, and I heard nervous shuffles behind me, and before I knew it, Tal was crawling up beside me under the large ‘M’. He was shaking ever-so-slightly and he seemed unable to look me in the eyes, as mine bore down on him.
   He opened up his snout to speak, and I could tell straight off what was happening as a smile came over me, and I watched him struggle with his words
   He soon found the courage to say something, “Cassie say ‘Tal -”
   “No Tal!” Cassie burst in. “Come back here.” She started laughing again, but this was, as I understood it, more of a sympathetic laugh, as Tal obeyed and crawled away, looking thoroughly embarrassed.
   I laughed to myself and turned my head over my shoulder to smile knowingly at Cassie. She knew I had figured her out and shot me an innocent look.
   I guess she had known what Tal saw in me, and was kindly trying to give him the courage. I did not see why he needed it, as Hork-Bajir rarely tended to have this problem. Maybe he saw me as being ‘different’.
   I shook my head in amused disbelief and turned back to my rooftop view, my moving arm connecting with the empty bottle that had been placed beside me, sending it tumbling over the side and into bushes below.
   It disappeared under a large yellow-leaved bush, and I lifted my body up as I looked over the ledge, raising my back legs and resting my upper body on my arms, my neck moving over the ledge. I looked vertically until I could see under the bush…
   SLAP!!!
   I yelped in surprise as something hit me from behind. I reversed and turned to see what had happened.
   Tal?
   Cassie, behind him, was in hysterics, unable to hold in the laughter as I rubbed my painful backside where Tal had slapped me.
   “I’m so sorry!” Cassie said over her fit of laughter. “I couldn’t help myself.”
   A guilty expression showed on Tal, and his eyes stared at me apologetically.
   “Tal,” Cassie continued. “I didn’t mean for you to do it so hard.”
    From my observations, Cassie had told him to slap me as I was looking over the edge. I had seen human couples do this before, but I was not sure it was working the same way for me. Of course, Cassie was just playing, something she could not do during her time with the Animorphs.
   I bared my teeth in a grin and sat painfully on the ledge as Cassie apologised and reassured Tal it was all for fun, and then walked over and sat against the ledge beside me.
   “Enjoying yourself?” She asked.
   “I am, but I have never seen a parade before. What are they for?”
   “It’s usually a celebratory thing. I don’t know what this one was for though, it just appeared.” She looked over the ledge at the dispersing crowds, the parade now far from view. 
   “Thank you for bringing us here, Cassie.” I said.
   She smiled and looked down at her legs. “You’re welcome. I thought it would be nice to bring you along. Somebody to talk to.”
   I raised an eyebrow. Had she just said that she wanted somebody to talk to? Was something wrong?
   I gazed down at her hand laid resting on her leg, and found the glistening sparkle of a ring on a clutching finger. She had seen Ronnie last night, and Cassie had told me that he was doing a job elsewhere at the moment.
   It must have been something else…
   Someone else.
   “Cassie…” I started, sounding as gentle as I could.
   Her eyes fell on me, and I saw all the proof I needed.
   “You still miss her.” I said.
   She reluctantly stared at me and nodded. “Yes.”
   Rachel was Cassie’s best friend before and during the war against the yeerks, and died during the last battle. I was never informed how or why it happened, but it seemed to have a lasting effect on the group.
   It was sad, but, unfortunately, that was the reality of war. No decision is right for everyone. We had both learnt that the hard way.
   I did not really know what to say. I shuffled closer to her as I saw a single tear stain her shirt. I held out a claw for her and she took it, holding it tight.
   “Things are so different without her…” She managed to utter.
   “I understand why you are upset,” I said. “We all miss her, but you have to remember all the good things she has done for us. Without her, we may have lost the war. She played an integral part.”
   Judging from Cassie’s expression, she seemed to be cheering up, remembering Rachel for all the good reasons. She smiled warmly.
   “You’re right.” She conceded.
   “You still have us.” I continued. “Your mother, your father, Ronnie, and I am always here for you. We all are.”
   “Thank you Toby.” She followed my gaze and lifted her hand to show off the ring. “Noticed the ring, huh?”
   “Yes.” I said. “It is beautiful.”
   She blushed and looked at her finger lovingly, before giving me a strange look. “Maybe you’ll be next.” I saw a suggestive grin spread over her face, and she glanced over at Tal, who was grooming his toenails with his teeth.
   I chuckled at the remark and kept my eyes drawn on him.
   “He has a thing for you.” Cassie interrupted.
   “A thing?” I asked, puzzled.
   “You know, a thing.”
   I simply stared at her.
   “He… feels for you.” She nodded like she was satisfied with how she worded it, and, after some time, I suddenly realised what she was implying.
   I did not answer her, because, to be honest, I had nothing much to say that would not give me away, because I too had the thing…
   We sat in a suitably peaceful silence gazing up at the dimming blue Earth sky, the last of the days birds flying back to their nest, and the cold evening weather was starting to set in. The moon was now visible up above us. Full.
   The sound of the crowds were quickly dying as I lay my head on the ledge, Cassie behind me, and Tal somewhere nearby, busying himself.
   Cassie sat, watching over the ledge, thinking. She was blatantly troubled, and I knew why.
   And as I looked up at the clouded sky I only asked myself the same question she would have asked. I had no answers, neither did she.
   But she had the experience of knowing the others. She was insightful, and she could tell the emotions of those around her like it was a gift. She saw the fear in Jake’s eyes, and as he left, she knew he may not come back.
   Nobody knew exactly what happened to the Andalite vessel and its crew, but I knew deep down inside that they would come across it.
   It was hard not to think about it. About what could happen to him. About what this could mean.
   It was then I began to think about Tobias. How would he cope? He had not spoken to the other Animorphs for over two years now. He did not trust Jake at all since Rachel died, and only ever talked to us. Even then, he never mentioned anything about the war. He would fly over to the camp and ask us how our day was, what we had done… he never answered those questions himself…
   We talked about it only a few days before he left with Jake. He flew to my nest late at night and waited for me there. He must have wanted company, so I sat with him for a few hours. He asked questions about my life, but when I asked him the same questions back to him, he was quick to change the subject.
   I asked him why he would not answer. He flew away.
   I yawned and opened my eyes, finishing off the nap I did not even know I was having, and saw Cassie resting beside me, her elbows on the ledge and her chin placed on her cupped hands. I stretched myself and scratched behind my neck, sitting up. Today had gone by pretty quickly, and, since it was winter, the night was coming in earlier, orange-shadowed clouds enveloping the empty blue.
   My pessimistic thoughts were drained as I stood high on my legs and shook myself down, Cassie noticed I was getting up and turned around facing inwards to the building. “Ready to go Toby?” She asked.
   “Yes, I am ready.” I replied, taking one last look at the remains of the crowd, then twisting to see…
   Where was Tal?
   I darted my eyes around the roof in a sudden bout of panic. Nothing but the horrible grey roof and the vents. No sign of him.
   A scream. A distant shout from below the ‘M’. I shot to the edge to see a large gap in the shouting crowd. In the middle of the gap, Tal, walking away from our building.
   Cassie had also noticed what was happening. “What is he doing?!”
   “I… He…” I struggled to find any reasonable answer. I had told him many times to stay beside us, and he had disobeyed. But why?
   Maybe his curiosity had gotten the better of him. Maybe he was hungry.
   The startled, noisy humans around him began to close in, eager to see the Hork-Bajir who seemed to appear from nowhere, no longer scared by his sudden appearance, and now more determined to meet him.
   But he did not stop to talk, he did not seem intimidated or scared like Hork-Bajir usually are around large groups of humans, In fact, he showed no emotion whatsoever. He just walked through them, with a strange walk I had never encountered before. Had he always walked like that? It was as if he was sleepwalking, but his body stayed almost still, stiff and almost robotic. His tail hanging and dragging behind him.
   I had no choice but to catch him. I reached up and pressed my clawed foot against the ledge, powering the muscle and feeling the pressure swirl up through and into my thighs.
   I leapt from the ledge, through the ‘M’, falling heavily through the light Earth air. The wind brushed like leaves against my skin, and I saw the cracked ground beneath me swelter and waver as I hurtled downwards. I clutched at the breeze as I fell aimlessly.
   Fell.
   The concrete. The heat. The shadow. Blood.
   And for one brief moment, I saw myself.
   Screaming! Screaming! I closed my eyes, and I saw the bright light. I saw the madness. And I saw the disfigured shape. It surrounded me, whispered in my ear.
   Told me where I was.
   And I was flat on the ground. Heated tarmac.
   My breath ran over my chest as I heard the beat of footsteps.
   I had to get up!
   Moving my arms and legs, I struggled to get onto my feet again. I rubbed my head, disorientated by shock. My ears made out distant noises, fading closer. Talking. Shouting.
   Where was Cassie? I tried to focus my eyes back to the roof. She was gone, probably rushing after me.
   As my head cleared, I stared out over the concerned humans who had surrounded me. I was just tall enough to be able to peek over the sea of heads and spot three large male blades. Tal!
   My left leg jerked forward as I retained my stability. What was happening to me? Why was I having these visions?
   No time to answer. I needed to find Tal.
   The crowd backed off slightly as I lunged forward, clumsy lunges soon forming to a jog as I followed Tal’s scent and the occasional view of blades over the shorter human heads.
   I bellowed out his name, loud enough for him to hear, unintentionally sending several humans into a panic. Those who got in my way were gently pushed aside, or at least as gently as I could.
   Tal was in danger, he did not know where he was or what kind of human he would encounter. He had no idea of what kind of machine could come speeding around the next corner. He was stupid to walk away, and yet he must have known it…
   The crowd kindly began to separate, not sure about how to react, but Tal was still separated from me by a small group who had no idea what was going on, and were all gathered around, like they were focused on something.
   I felt a worn, deep grunt leave my throat, panting and irregular. I almost collapsed, little energy left after my fall. Too little to think, to make sense… all shapes, colours… shades of blue-green… blotches.
   The group split, and there…
   Facing me, still, lifeless.
   Stood straight and tall.
   The nightmare. The blue and the green forming blank spheres of eyes. Deep. Dead.
   I collapsed forward, too scared to scream.
   A hit to the head.
   Cold and dizzy, I lost consciousness.

Offline BluJugganaut

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »
CHAPTER 6

‘Someone once said life was for living, life was for happiness, life was love. I cannot help but feel that I have been lied to. How can life be for love when all you have left is hate? How can life be for happiness when all you can do is scream in silence? How can life be for living when you have nothing to live for anymore?

My eyes slowly flickered, rhythmic to the steady rumbling airing from the tight leather seats. I stretched my body and felt my legs crumple against the hollow shell of the truck door, my clutched limbs aching and straining. My vision was faded and blurry, but as I slowly opened my eyes, squinting in the seemingly bright light, I made out Tal’s outline above me. He stared down at me, and I realised a faint, pleasant sensation as he rubbed a claw down my arm.
   My head rested on his thigh, and we were both squeezed into the back of the truck, with Cassie sat, driving at the front.
   I could hear faint noises. The sound of talking. I moved my arm to rub my head, my hearing was faded and distant. Tal was speaking. I could hear his voice now, and I felt the vibrations buzz through his body to me as he spoke.
   I raised my head from his thigh and looked through distorted vision, trying to make sense of it all. My body throbbed and I collapsed back onto Tal, clenching my teeth as the memory drifted through me.
   The parade. Tal’s eyes…
   I looked upwards, at his chin, and, noticing my stirring, he craned his neck to look back. I burrowed into his eyes. Tal’s own red eyes.
   Not blue, nor green. Not dead.
   Normal, bright eyes.
   “Toby wake up.”
   I jerked a bit, my sense of hearing and sight coming back to me as I heard him utter those words. My legs twitched, life springing back into them as I felt energy returning and boiling up inside me.
   Warmth. Tal rubbed my cheek with the back of his hand, and whispered, too quiet to make out.
   Where was I? What was happening?
   I bolted up as the questions circled me, and I sat upright in my seat, shivering as the sudden effects of my mind once again subsided. The aching of my body forced me to lean against the door, but at least now my senses had returned to normal, and I could see the bright city lights fly past my window, covered in the dark purple veil of the night.
   The trucks vibrating grew quieter as I gazed through the glass window, and the lights slowed to a stop, just as the truck did.
   Cassie shuffled in her seat to face us, a total look of seriousness on her face. “Toby.”
   My eyes widened as I focused on her, still dizzy and nauseous from earlier. “Yes?”
   She bit her lip and looked over my body, like she thought I was hiding something. “There is something wrong with you.”
   Of course, she was right. “I believe so.”
   She hesitated, cautious about what she would say next, and glanced over at Tal. “Would you like to tell me what’s going on?”
   I took my eyes from her, feeling cornered and momentarily split from Cassie. I had no answer.
   “Please, Toby.” She said, her expression showing much concern. “Is there something you want to talk about?”
   I shook my head, resting my gaze on her again. “… I do not know.”
   She hummed thoughtfully to herself, before gently rubbing my knee. “I think we need to take you to the clinic.”
   I nodded acceptingly. Maybe I was just ill. A trip to the clinic could only be for the best.
   Tal was keeping quiet and fiddled his claws quizzically on his side of the truck, legs crunched into the seat before him and his tail set aside. I could feel confusion and fear airing from him.
   Surely, what I saw before was an illusion. A figment of my imagination, brought on by some illness…
   Yes, it was just me. I was sick. That was why I was going to the clinic, and why I was hallucinating.
   I was just sick…
   Cassie turned back to the steering wheel and the car roared back into life, heading out of the city and in the direction of Yellowstone park. I thought everything through my head, the images, illusions, and tried to put together the pieces. Something was happening to me, but I could not explain what it was, or why it was happening.
   Was Tal feeling anything? He certainly seemed troubled…
   “Tal.” I said quietly, nudging up beside him.
   He replied with a small, meek grunt.
   “I am not mad at you.” I explained.
   He lifted slightly, yet unable to hide his sense of guilt. “Tal is sorry.”
   After a brief pause of just staring at him, I decided it would be best to change to a lighter subject. “Have you enjoyed your day?”
   “Yes.”
   He said no more, and he did not seem at all sure if he did like it or not. Something was on his mind.
   My hand reached over and wrapped around his. That caught his attention.
   “Do not feel bad about what happened, Tal.” I said.
   He opened his mouth to speak, but hesitated, before saying it in our own tongue. “ ‘Cassie say Tal do bad. But Tal nap.’ ”
   That took me by surprise. “ ‘You were asleep?’ ”
   “ ‘Tal…’ ” He froze, like he was unsure. “ ‘Tal walk away, but Tal sleep…’ ” He held his head in obvious bafflement.
   He was asleep? That could not have been possible.
   This was getting stranger and stranger…
   He continued, “ ‘Tal sleep on roof. Not wake up on roof.’ ”
   “ ‘Where did you wake up?’ ”
   “ ‘Tal wake up on road, next to Toby.’ ”
   I started to feel tense, squeezing his claw tighter. He replied by squeezing back and leaning against me.
   I wanted to feel better. I wanted to make him feel better. To take things off my mind and just enjoy the rest of the night, to go to my nest when I was tired, and not have to stay awake and demand answers from myself. To wake up in the morning, happy and care-free.
   My eyes rested lazily on Tal, focusing on him as the scenery around us grew darker. He made me feel strange, distant in a way, like he was all I really needed on this strange planet, we were so compatible…
   “Tal.” I said quietly.
   He opened his eyes wider and trailed them to mine.
   I smiled invitingly. “ ‘When we get back home tonight, I would like to have some more of that bark you gave to me. Could you show me the tree?’ ”
   The light in the car had quickly gone black. It was impossible to make out his face, but I knew he was smiling.
   “ ‘Tal will take Toby to tree.’ ”
   “ ‘Thank you, Tal.’ ”
   As the night spread over the horizon to fill the sky, and the last of the city noises died away, we sat in deep silence - all three all us. Cassie said nothing for most of the journey. She concentrated on the road and her thoughts. Both I and Tal were sat uncomfortably in the limited space of the truck, sitting close and leaning back into the seats, worn out.
   Our claws clutched together, so familiar, yet so new. I had never felt this feeling before, and I never wanted it to stop, not even for even a brief second. I dropped my head on his shoulder and watched the world pass by through the windscreen. The clinic, lit with dull amber light, dragged itself up over the horizon like a beacon pushing its way up through the dirt.

It took two hours, and I was fine.
   Perfectly fine.
   Cassie did all sorts of tests on me, and they all said that there was nothing physically wrong with me.
   Physically.
   “I don’t understand.” Cassie muttered as we squeezed back into the car. “Are you sure you haven’t hit your head on something recently?”
   “I am sure.” I said, as I got into the front seat, beside Cassie. Tal crawled into the back.
   She sighed impatiently. “Maybe you just need some sleep. I’ll take you both back to your camps.”
   “Thank you Cassie.” I said with a smile, as she got the truck started and music began playing. I jerked as it blared in my ears, nudging into Cassie. She turned it down and tuned it to something slightly less aggressive.
   Tal gave us a huge, gaping yawn as we left the clinic car park for the second time today. He may have been tired after a long day, but I was wide awake. To the point where I was not going to sleep tonight.
   Cassie, again, stayed mostly quiet, but she would occasionally glance over at me with concern.
   The flickering little lights of the truck were all that kept me amused, since it was now impossible to see outside, apart from the occasional orange streetlight flashing above and in the distance.
   “I hear there’s a feast on tonight.” Cassie said, out of nowhere.
   “Yes, there is.” I replied. “Several camps gathered bark together this morning. They will come to our camp, I believe.” I faced her and smiled. “Would you like to come?”
   “Sure, I guess. I can‘t stay long though.” She kept her eyes firmly on the road, no expression shown. “I don’t want you to feast tonight. You need to get some sleep.”
   “I understand.”
   I knew deep down I will have wanted a feast, but Cassie was right, I needed a long rest.
   “I think I should talk to Ket aswell.” She continued, quickly adding, “… About her broken toe.”
   “I am sure she will join the feast.” I said. I leant back over my seat. “Will you go Tal?”
   He turned his attention from the back of my seat to me. “Tal not know.”
   Cassie shrugged, still focused on the road as we turned into a small residential area. The lights were bright here, so I could look out of the window clearly. The houses were much larger than those in the city, and bordered the park, barely metres from us. The road followed a bend over a light hill, then began to level out as the buildings became denser and more tightly packed in.
   Then, the line of buildings stopped, and we drove again past bare, fenced land. Above the hill, outlined by a faint orange streetlamp glow, was a large, single storey building, half submerged by the park and a host of small trees. In the light, a large, golden jumble of letter were barely visible, sitting in the centre of what appeared as the front of the building. I read it.
   Terry’s.
   I supposed I would be missing the opportunity to meet him again tonight. Cassie would take us home, and by then it would be too dark to make my own way there.
   Surely enough, he would not mind if we did not go tonight. It most likely would not have surprised him anyway.
   The truck began to pull itself up the shallow hill and towards the building, which sat on the opposite side of the road, surrounded by the streetlamps and forwarded by a small sheltered bus stop. A shaving of crescent moon rose over the roof and battered it with a simple white glow.
   We passed the attractive restaurant and wheeled onto a more level patch of road, edged by pavement sidewalks.
   A shadow lurked on our side of the road, on the cracked dim sidewalk. It became obvious he was male as the trucks headlights rested on his body. He wore barely enough clothing to keep him warm, though fancy, as if he were here on important business.
   Though, the most noticeable feature was his dazzling array of facial hair. It was brown, as the hair on his head was, and it was styled into what I have heard is called a ‘combo’, trailing over his lips and going down his cheeks, before covering his entire lower jaw.
   He was tall for a human, and was roughly the same age as Cassie, and sporting a healthy, fulfilled expression. Wise and experienced, despite his youthfulness.
   Cassie seemed no less interested in the man as I was, and within seconds, she had recognised him. “Erek?”
   The truck slowed and sidled up to the sidewalk where the man walked, and as we came to a stop beside him, I began to see the face I had known.
   My window slid down into the car door, and Erek swivelled around to see me looking down at him. He raised an eyebrow and stepped slowly to the door. He eyes lit up as Cassie leant forward to look past me.
   “Cassie?” Erek said.
   “Hi Erek.” She grinned and rested her arms, crossed on the steering wheel. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”
   He leaned against the truck door and spoke in a relaxed, casual tone, returning her smile. “I’m on vacation, staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks. I was planning to visit you in the clinic tomorrow.”
   “Well I’d love for you to drop by.” She replied. “I can’t remember the last time we spoke.”
   “Too long ago.” He darted a strange expression to her and patted the truck window frame. “I see you got yourself a big vehicle. Never thought I’d see you driving one of these.”
   “I needed the space.” She quickly replied.
   “Is it new?”
   “I bought it this week. Only driven it properly today though.”
   Erek gave it a thorough look-over and hummed, impressed. “Good driving?”
   “I love it. I’ve never driven so easy since I had that Chrysler.”
   He winked at me, perhaps finally recognising me. “What do you think, Toby?”
   “I enjoy being driven around in this truck.” I said to him. “You have grown facial hair. I think it suits you.”
   “Thanks,” He said. “At least I know now that somebody likes it.”
   “I think it makes you look very mature.” Cassie complimented, though a contradictive grin showed through .
   “Well, the ladies like a mature man.” Erek cooed, posing against the door in an attempt to impress Cassie. She was not at all moved.
   She shook her head in amusement. “So where are you going? Isn’t it a bit late for a casual stroll?”
   “I’m going to that new restaurant just over the road. Terry’s. I know the manager.”
   “Terry O’Donnell?” I interrupted.
   “Yes. You know him?”
   “I have met him.” I said blankly.
   Cassie leant forward a little more to see past me at Erek. “I’ve heard of him. Doesn’t he own a chain of restaurants in Europe?”
   “Yep.”
   “And you know him? Personally?”
   “We’re good friends. I met him a year back when he built the first restaurant in America. Nice guy. Very good food. He hires only the best chefs.”
   Cassie tapped my arm. “So where did you meet Terry?”
   “This morning in the waiting room.” I replied. “While I waited for you.”
   Erek, finally taking notice of Tal sitting quietly in the back seats, seemed unsurprised. “I’m sure he’s busy advertising. It’s all he ever does.”
   “Well, I may have to check it out sometime.” Cassie said.
   “Why don’t you come with me tonight?” Erek offered.  “Would be nice to hear what you’ve been up to these last couple of years.”
   Cassie bit her lip and looked briefly at the steering wheel. “I don’t know…”
   “Come on, Cassie.” Erek tempted. “I’m paying…”
   “Alright then.” Cassie replied instantly. I was briefly taken back, but as they both began to laugh, I recognised it to be yet another example of humour.
   She continued, “But I have to take Toby and Tal home first. They’ve had… an eventful day.”
   Erek raised an eyebrow. “Something bad happen?”
   “Don’t worry about it.” Cassie concluded dismissively.
   “Ah…”
   I looked over the road at the large brightly-lit building on the left. A slight silhouette of two men standing by the entrance, with fumes twirling from their cigarettes, and their voices echoing through the open window of the truck. Inside, I could barely make out the luxurious rows of newly laid tables. Candles dotted throughout like shattered glass.  Something told me that I should accept Terry’s invitation. I needed to be there.
   Or maybe I just wanted to be there.
   Either way, I spoke up.
   “Cassie, would it be alright if I came with you and Erek? I would like to see Terry.”
   Erek looked bemused. “You want to see Terry?”
   “Yes Erek. I believe he wants me here tonight.”
   Silence. They stared to each other, then back to me.
   “You two must have really hit it off in the waiting room.” Erek said. I did not understand what he meant. Though Cassie found something to smile about. “But being serious, he probably just wants to get to know the locals, though I would think advertising a five star luxury restaurant to Hork-Bajir is a slight step-back in terms of business.”
   “He wouldn’t advertise to the Hork-Bajir,” Cassie pointed out, “He may be trying to attract more people.” She swivelled to me. “Are you sure Toby? I think it would be best for you to just get home and sit down for a while. Get rid of whatever is wrong with you.”
   “I am sure.”
   She breathed deeply and nodded. Erek had no idea what we were talking about, but was acceptant that something had not gone to plan today.
   Tal’s voice echoed up from the back. “Tal stay with Toby?”
   Erek, forging ideas, grinned and winked at me. I tilted my head back at him.
   “I’m sure Terry wouldn’t mind.” Erek said to him. “What’s your name, big guy?”
   “My name Tal Ganat.”
   “It’s nice to meet you Tal.” Erek said politely. “So, I suppose I’ll see you inside, Cassie.”
   Cassie nodded and began to rev up the engine. “Remember to get a good table. I’ll see you in five.”
   We drove away, and around the next corner in a U to come back down the same road, turning into a large open car park to the right hand side of the restaurant. It was surrounded by small, neatly-trimmed, identical plants. The truck came to a stop in a space beside the back of the building, a small porchlight set an orange glow in the car. I managed to undo my seatbelt and aided Tal in getting out of the back. We stood there together, waiting for Cassie to get ready.
   “Where we going?” Tal questioned. 
   “This is called a restaurant.” I told him. “We are going to see Terry O’Donnell.”
   He smiled and shifted his weight from one leg to the other. “What is restaurant?”
   “A restaurant is where humans go to if they wish to eat in public or do not want to cook for themselves. At least, this is what I have heard.”
   There was a brief pause as we waited, and a cold breeze blew over us. I felt the warm touch of Tal’s skin embrace my arm, as he pressed his body against mine. “Cold.”
   I leant back into him, finding his warmth almost irresistible. “Yes, it is, but we will be inside soon.”
   Cassie slammed her door shut and strolled past the bonnet, a big grin on her face. “Come on, you two. They’ll be waiting.”

Offline fal_tagut

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:11:19 PM »
[spoiler]I bet it's the bark making them crazy[/spoiler]

Offline fal_tagut

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
I would very much like to see you continue this story

Offline Talos

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:01:08 PM »
It IS a very good story, I must say. The writing is seamless with K.A Applegate and/or her ghostwriters.