Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #16 The Warning  (Read 2101 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #16 The Warning
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Synopsis
Now it'll take more than the truth to set you free....
The internet is full of useful information. Still, Jake never expected  to find a website devoted to the Yeerk threat. It seems the Animorphs may have an opportunity for new allies. Of course the internet is also full of deceit, so the Animorphs investigate with caution. But what they discover adds a new dimension of horror to the fight....

Questions
    1. This book contains free, non-combative humans with knowledge about the Yeerks. Should the idea of other free humans involvement in the conflict have been more used throughout the series?

2. This is the only major appearance of Visser Three's twin. What do you think of this character, his role in the development of the internet, and of course his methods of survival? Would you have liked to have seen this character elsewhere?

3. Who (or what) do you credit with the destruction of Joe Bob's mansion?

4. Jake gives a talk in this book about the origins of hostility: "Mostly what people want is to be left alone. They just want to sit down and have a nice dinner and tell boring stories and tell jokes they've told a dozen times before. But I guess there is always someone out there who thinks life, just plain old boring, sweet, everyday life, isn't enough. And that's when the killing starts." Is this an accurate assessment about the roots of conflict? What do you think of the Animorphs developing views on war?

5. What do you think of the views Jake has about leadership? In this book he says that people want leaders that they wish could act like themselves. What do you think of a leader holding this self standard? Does he meet it?

6. In this book Jake gains a new power morph: a rhinoceros. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a rhino to be like? How effective is the way Jake uses the morph in this book?

7. What would you do during the confrontation with Esplin Lesser-would you let him continue doing what he does to Yeerks and their hosts, or find another way to deal with him?

8. What are your thoughts about Cassie telling Gump not to trust his father?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #17 The Underground
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #16 The Warning
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
1. I think so. That would make the series so much more interesting
3. I just thought it was an accident. Or some kind of person who's very jealous of him. Or visser 3
7. I don't like the idea of what he does. I'm guessing he kills the hosts, but I can't be sure
9. Last year. Nothing much I'd like to see changed
10. Nope
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
Interesting discussions about the future...

"I just want to get back to a life someday where I don't have to make  decisions that might get people killed."
"Do you?" Now Marco's smile was definitely of the mocking variety. "You really think someday we can all go back to being regular kids? You think after being the leader of the Ani-morphs you can go back to being Joe Average Student?"

...<This guy knows how to live,> Marco said with satisfaction. <Someday that'll be me.>

I think "back" is a little off-the-cuff on Jake's part, but there are alternatives to "not having to make decisions that get people killed" that aren't Joe Average Student."

Also, how does Ax know what millions and not billions are?

I think the leadership thing was kind of a stretch. Jake had a bad incident in the fly morph after several fine missions; he's averse to it because of lingering unpleasantness from that expedition, but the others seemed to be more of a fundamental problem with the hive mind itself. So not really comparable.

In reply to yunyun: Visser Three didn't know that Joe Bob was only safe in that house, so he wouldn't have had any incentive to go after it then.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »
   1. Absolutely, and I know I've said this a lot, but it's a shame they weren't. Potential new Animorphs, an independent resistance, something-would have been interesting. Even if they weren't used, I think it's bad that it never comes up again: I take that to mean the Animorphs let a viable source of intel dry up. Bad

2. What a captivating turn of events he was. The internet thing, reminiscent of Elfangor, but good for him good for his host, good for computer nerds the world over. The feeding cruel, horrific, unfair to it's innocents. Wonderful plot, detestable life. More and less likable than his brother all at once. It would have been very interesting to seen how he fared in open war. It wasn't crucial to have him anywhere else, but it would have been interesting for him to show up as a turn coat or something, to either side.

3. The way it's written feels like it should be Jake, but for no reason at all, I envision Esplin secondary doing it himself. Not that he wanted to put himself in danger, but to move on, get a way.

4. On the overall about war, I'd say they're growing. Not where they'll be yet, but getting there. I don't agree with his assessment though, on 2 two points.

1. There are some people that do it because they are nuts. They don't realize it, or they have no goals. Joker in Dark Knight: Some just want to watch the world burn (*I wrote this response before what happened in Colorado, but that kinda exemplifies what I'm saying)
      2. This is the big one, to me. No matter how misguided we or history make them out to people, there are people not content with the world. And should they be? The thought, no matter how warped it becomes is to make life better. The oppressed, starving people, who war to get power, the unopposed ruler who expands his empire, the aim is still for better. Why shouldn't you want better. And while the pleasant suburban life of a western civilization is nothing to complain about, with all the world has to offer, why be content with what you have? Why not fight and scratch and rage endlessly for a little more, a little better? This whole thing supports what Jake was saying yes, but he presents as a condemnable desire, but I don't think it is in and of itself. If it's not enough, you shouldn't be content, even if that breaks some of the pleasantries of what you. Maybe even others have.

5. As I've grown, Jakes become much more interesting, because most the time I think yes, he behaves as a little above normal men. If the leader acts like me, I'd just do it myself. But you need someone a little stronger, a little wiser. Horrible self standard though-self destructive right there, could drive you mad. Can't help but think at the end it kinda did for him.

6. I'd love to try out a rhino's eyes. My visions gotten worse over the years, but this level of near sightedness I can't imagine. I can't help but think the size wouldn't be awkward: kinda like being in a living car. Massive, but kinda compacted. I've never shot a rhino, but I think it would still be more than a little annoyed. Still, destroying a billionaires house; gotta try that one of these days.

7. I don't think I'd let him go. I really don't. I know the Animorphs do and allow terrible things, but this one. For one being to sustain himself on ten (20 counting host) beings that unquestionably know? No. I don't know why, the argument I was about to make is the same one I make against vegetarians, so just no. For reasons I cannot logically or morally justify, I would not let him continue this behavior.

8. That was one of the nicest things Cassie's ever done. And I don't understand her dilemma with it. It keeps the kid as safe as can be. It's unfortunate that circumstance makes it so it had to be done, but it had to be done. Count that as a solid point.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....