Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #15 The Escape  (Read 4223 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #15 The Escape
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Synopsis
The Yeerks are out there...
Marco's dealing with the fact his mother is the host of Visser One. He's doing everything he can to help her. But when the Animorphs learn she's back on Earth, Marco's having a tough time. And the Yeerks aren't idling: They're  hard at work out at sea, planning to use Earth's sharks as attack forces on an aquatic world, that could lead to the Yeerks having new, psychic hosts. This is one fight the Animorphs absolutely can not lose, but between Yeerk controlled sharks and Visser One the Animorphs, especially Marco, are going find it hard to not be torn apart....

Questions
   1. Once again Visser One and Visser Three are at each others throats. What do you think of their interactions, and the claims each makes to the others failings?

2. From hawk-dolphin rodeo's to laying handing on a Hammerhead, the Animorphs have to do some risky things to acquire their morphs. What do you think is the best way to get in touch with a dangerous animal? How do you think Visser Three goes about getting so many dangerous morphs?

3. The Yeerks modify sharks to make them Yeerk accessible. Why don't the Yeerks do this to other suitable species, rather than force themselves onto the sentient races that can support them? What do you think are the ethics of altering a creatures body and mind just so it can be subjected to another's control?

4. What do you think of Applegate's portrayal of the Hammerhead shark? Is it a killing machine, focused only on killing and eating almost all of the time, or are there aspects passed over? What do you envision the shark experience to be like? Do you believe it could make an effective water warrior?

5. What did you think of Marco in this book? Was his hiding the truth from the others to avoid pity understandable? What did you think of his stint with the shark morph at the pool, and his face to face with Visser One?

6. What would you do Marco's place? He's intent on saving his mother, and yet almost (for all he knows at this point may have) killed her. Would you have risked your life, and the mission to see your mother again? Would you have risked her life to complete the mission?

7. A Leeran-controller detected Marco in morph, and it seems this is the same Leeran that makes its way toward Visser One. How have the Animorphs not been caught? How do you justify, or work around, plot holes like this in the series?

8. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

9. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #16 The Warning
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #15 The Escape
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »
2. Was there any good reason for Tobias' dolphin not to work, or just the author trying to create artificial tension? Ugh.
3. Given that they'd have been giving a body to Yeerks...eh. Body changing, I guess, good; mind-changing, bad, it's not worth it if you're just creating more slaves.
4. "I think at some level, at the most basic survival level, that primitive shark brain was actually superior to our own human brain." Ugh not again.
7. I had forgotten about this point. Der, plot hole.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »
   1. Shame they never can work together. V3 is not near the height of his incompetence yet, which validates V1's hate for him, if not her accusations. Whereas V3 is actually right: she's a traitor, at least a saboteur, though it's probably not good for PR to leave your superior to die.

2. Much more frightening than being, I imagine. Animals get mean, so being willing to go head to head with them is a combination of big credits, and detestable insanity. V3 must be subduing these things: Dracon fire or a Skrit Na zoo. Probably killing or just short of death for some: don't know how else to acquire something with flaming skin.

3. Much like the horses (really weak to have these two back to back) I don't think it's really more acceptable than taking sentients, but I imagine it would be more practical. They'd resist you individually, not get in arms when they see what happens to their kin: Smarter move, lots of untapped potential in series.

4. Way too cold, way too focused, one of the portrayals I hate most in the series. I don't know a lot about sharks, but there's a lot to know beyond eating, I can say that. But the good: my god picture that: 15 ft of underwater power. Perception unlike anything a human has ever known. Yeah, I can still see being a shark as a very reassuring experience, if only in contrast to the pitiable vessel man is forced to inhabit .

5. This was a very human view of Marco. Laughing at life is great, but there are times when you can't, and it really shows with him how jacked up he is by his mom. The scene at the pool did that real well. I respect that he won't seek pity, but the lengths he takes to avoid it, I still disagree with. Big kudos though, on handling the face to face. Better men would have faltered in that situation-he keeps himself together in a crunch, but I can't be sure that's not more of an uncontrollable reflex as jester than development as a savvy fighter.

6. Right to the jib: I probably would have sat this one out. Don't know if I'd trust myself to keep it together, and it's a mission that can't be jeopardized. However, if I had gone along...mission has to come first. And after that, living with myself would not be pleasant for a very long time.

7. I forgive them not looking for humans, I figure they overlook  messy midmorphs doing chaotic fights. As said before, luck is very powerful if you can do it right. But I can't forgive this. A psychic Yeerk couldn't explain it to someone? No. You have to add in the subplot of another Leeran, and that one died, but that's really a stretch from how it's written. For shame writers. For shame.

9. "Do you believe in hope.... Me, I believe in Jake." Made me laugh.

1. Last time I said that the books were still hope first: this book makes the change, imo. Intimate and dark circumstances, with an ambiguous fate about Marco's only hope. Suddenly this isn't about keeping hope, it's about doing terrible things, and letting horrible things happen and surviving to do them again. Suddenly optimistic endings are a lot less common, and more bittersweet. Change has come
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »
   1. Shame they never can work together. V3 is not near the height of his incompetence yet, which validates V1's hate for him, if not her accusations. Whereas V3 is actually right: she's a traitor, at least a saboteur, though it's probably not good for PR to leave your superior to die.

2. Much more frightening than being, I imagine. Animals get mean, so being willing to go head to head with them is a combination of big credits, and detestable insanity. V3 must be subduing these things: Dracon fire or a Skrit Na zoo. Probably killing or just short of death for some: don't know how else to acquire something with flaming skin.

3. Much like the horses (really weak to have these two back to back) I don't think it's really more acceptable than taking sentients, but I imagine it would be more practical. They'd resist you individually, not get in arms when they see what happens to their kin: Smarter move, lots of untapped potential in series.

4. Way too cold, way too focused, one of the portrayals I hate most in the series. I don't know a lot about sharks, but there's a lot to know beyond eating, I can say that. But the good: my god picture that: 15 ft of underwater power. Perception unlike anything a human has ever known. Yeah, I can still see being a shark as a very reassuring experience, if only in contrast to the pitiable vessel man is forced to inhabit .

5. This was a very human view of Marco. Laughing at life is great, but there are times when you can't, and it really shows with him how jacked up he is by his mom. The scene at the pool did that real well. I respect that he won't seek pity, but the lengths he takes to avoid it, I still disagree with. Big kudos though, on handling the face to face. Better men would have faltered in that situation-he keeps himself together in a crunch, but I can't be sure that's not more of an uncontrollable reflex as jester than development as a savvy fighter.

6. Right to the jib: I probably would have sat this one out. Don't know if I'd trust myself to keep it together, and it's a mission that can't be jeopardized. However, if I had gone along...mission has to come first. And after that, living with myself would not be pleasant for a very long time.

7. I forgive them not looking for humans, I figure they overlook  messy midmorphs doing chaotic fights. As said before, luck is very powerful if you can do it right. But I can't forgive this. A psychic Yeerk couldn't explain it to someone? No. You have to add in the subplot of another Leeran, and that one died, but that's really a stretch from how it's written. For shame writers. For shame.

9. "Do you believe in hope.... Me, I believe in Jake." Made me laugh.

1. Last time I said that the books were still hope first: this book makes the change, imo. Intimate and dark circumstances, with an ambiguous fate about Marco's only hope. Suddenly this isn't about keeping hope, it's about doing terrible things, and letting horrible things happen and surviving to do them again. Suddenly optimistic endings are a lot less common, and more bittersweet. Change has come

In book 30 and in Visser, Visser 1 learns the true nature of the "Andalite Bandits" but doesn't tell anyone!  It could be that the Leeran Controller had told V1 about Marco, but she decided to keep her mouth zipped.