Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #14 The Unknown  (Read 2529 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #14 The Unknown
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Synopsis
Never underestimate the power of a morph
Somethings happening out in the dry lands. Seems that the Yeerks have gotten into using horses in the area as hosts. It also seems this area is the location of top-secret facility were the government may have evidence of extraterrestrial life. Now the government, Yeerks and the Animorphs are all trying to crack the secret of Zone 91. The Yeerks will do whatever it takes to hide their presence on Earth, but the truth that Zone 91 contains isn't what anyone expects....

Questions
   1. What are your thoughts on Zone 91 and the government/alien conspiracy aspects of this book? What do you think of extra-terrestrial life in the real world? Do you know or believe anyone who says they've had that kind of encounter? What do you think real aliens might be like, and what motives might they have here?

2. Cassie says that the no matter what she could do to give evidence of aliens on Earth, she'd be viewed as a hoax, but if the government said it people would believe. Do you think that's true? How could an average person convince you such a thing is real? To what extent do you think people would-or should-trust government authority in this, or any other particular matter?

3. The most secret place on Earth's most guarded secret was an alien toilet. Thoughts?

4. What do you think of using non sentient species for host bodies? How suited were horses for the Yeerks particular mission?

5. From Animorphs to Yeerks, everyone's using horses in this book. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a horse to be like? What do you think about horses as athletes? Cassie wins a race by using her human mind to overpower the horses bodily desires to slow down; what do you think of this example of mind over matter?

6. Would it be right for morph capable people to compete, and gamble, in animal competitions?

7. Cassie doesn't present a strong moral crisis in this book. Why do think that element of her character was reduced in this book? She is the one to realize what Visser Three's intention's are and the importance of alien evidence to Yeerks; what do you think of her making this insight?

8. At this point how do the Animorphs handle authority? They leave the captain with the impression they are miscreants, and never use what they know with the efforts at Zone 91. Would you have tried to align yourself with the government, or at least tell them the have a space toilet?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #15 The Escape

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #14 The Unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »
2. I'm not sure if people wouldn't believe her if she morphed in front of them. If she just presented some kind of weird thing, I'd be dubious. And governments can still lie, so i don't think you should trust the governmet either if he doesn't have good proof
3. I found it odd and cliched. 0_o
4. I think that was a really good idea if you don't wanna infest people. But since yeerks do, I don't get why they didn't just go for the people first. Infest the whole place. Then they have lots more cotrollers and get to find out what they're hiding
6. Nope. That's cheating
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
1. No, I don't know of anyone who's had an alien encounter. I think real aliens would be mostly likely to be just unicellular life, but I don't think there's any good way to guess the probability that they exist.
2. This is the second time in four books they've talked about what the government could/couldn't do. I don't get it. I think they have plenty of evidence, what they don't have is trust in anyone specific. Ugh. Maybe an opportunity for fanfiction.
3. This was actually amusing and somewhat realistic in the context of the series.
4. If it works it'd probably be a good idea. I don't see why so many non-sentient species are class 1, considering how many things Visser Three has acquired.
6. No.
8. Really the Animorphs have their own goals to focus on--it doesn't really help them or hurt them if the government knows that the space toilet is a space toilet or not. But yeah, I would have tried to ally myself with the government if (like Torelli) I knew there was someone they could trust. Send Jake and Ax, someone they don't know...Why isn't there fic of this??
10. " THIS MEANS YOU" was a bit too heavy-handed, and "I was doing what I had been designed to do. I was fulfilling millions of years of horse evolution" is again a teleological fallacy...

Offline AllyVP

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »
This book, out of all 60 books, is the one I despise the most.  It is boring and more pointless than the appendix.  Therefore, I will not be putting the effort into thinking about or writing out my answers.  I may, however, go back and do the Andalite Chronicles because I love that one.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:47:50 AM »
   1. I liked this. It was inconsequential, but epically funny to tie in Animorphs with more "believe" alien lore. I won't say I've seen aliens, or that I really believe anyone who's told me they have, but I see no reason to feel it's impossible. Just like people, I'm sure a good number of aliens are jerks, but I'd like to think they'd come here looking to learn and explore, though there's every likelihood they'd come to destroy, enslave and/or eat

2. Partly true. Once it makes CNN I'd probably believe it, though I know that's a bad instinct. Depending on the evidence an individual provided, I'd probably be weary. Cassie morphing would be interesting, but I'd insist it was a hoax unless I was allowed to do it. Space-craft: till I'm allowed inside and it flys, space-toilet: don't think I'd ever buy it. However the government merely showing these things I'd probably believe: they have accountability individuals don't, so while I don't think it's wise to blindly trust authority, I'd probably take them at their word if they said the had....space toilet.

3. Greatest. Thing. Ever. No, actually terribly lame, but so funny. So, so funny.

4. Have to wonder why this doesn't come up more/before. While I still find it objectionable, I think most species in this series would find it more acceptable. Not horses. Apparently fine enough for spying, but the body is not conducive to tool use. Monkey or something. I have to wonder if controlling a sub-sentient could steer their intellectual development, either direction. In any event, lot of opportunity there.

5. Not an equestrian type of guy, but when you think about it they are impressive. Sizable, fast, strong, I can see it being liberating, and must admit, in body alone they have many qualities of a respectable athlete. Do not want to give up depth perception while running though. Personally I'm more skiddish than horses I've met, but if that's instinct or domestication, from either party is up to debate. Her pulling out that finish I think is bull. Athlete's train their whole lives to get not just their bodies, but minds in condition to compete at the highest levels. Cassie's never been an athlete, to think she could just will herself to hold out in high level competition is almost insulting to me. She must have a lot of will, but I just don't think it's transferable to new circumstances like that.

6. Against animals; interesting, really interesting, but better or not, probably would have some biased in competition. But against other morphed humans: whole new sport right there. Game on, money down.

7. You can't have a character in a mixed narrator series only harp on about ethics. Very soon the series is going to make the shift from hope to the terror of war theme, but that's not been decided on yet. So you can't just make this character a downer, completely undoes the hope thing.

8. Getting away from authority they- read, Marco-are pro. I'd find a way to slip the captain a note. Don't see the harm, and who knows, maybe they'd make good of it. Astronauts need quality plumbing too. Maybe more than most.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....