Author Topic: Japanimorphs (interest check)  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Doomhawk

Japanimorphs (interest check)
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
Would anyone be interested in a RP where, parallel to the events of the books in America, another Andalite (potentially one of Elfangor's friends who would have the same revolutionary ideas about Seerow's Kindness) lands in Japan and a group of Japanese morphers are created who have to fight their part of the invasion?

The reason it's set in Japan isn't just because I like Japan, but for cultural reasons that should make things different enough to be interesting!

• People aren't loud in Japan. Generally males are quite shy or "cool"- they're quiet. Teenage girls upwards tend to be noisy with friends, but otherwise it's quite quiet.
  • The transport system is very developed, so it should make getting around easier!
  • Duty- at university level clubs tend to be very intense and require dedication- often there are meetings four or five days a week, and I think it's similar at lower levels
  • Respect- elders and superiors must be respected, any impolite behaviour is quite shocking
  • People are generally well-behaved in Japan (not counting the yakuza, of couse!)
  • People tend not to say what they're thinking, they cover it with a facade and only let this facade drop in front of people they trust such as family or close friends

That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has anything to add, please post! So, anyone interested?
[/list]
Rachel rolled her eyes. "Yeah. It's a swell sound. Sometimes I just lie in bed for six or seven hours doing nothing but saying 'million.'"

NateSean

Re: Japanimorphs (interest check)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
    • People aren't loud in Japan. Generally males are quite shy or "cool"- they're quiet. Teenage girls upwards tend to be noisy with friends, but otherwise it's quite quiet.

• People are generally well-behaved in Japan (not counting the yakuza, of couse!)
    [/quote]

You'll notice I italicized the word "generally", because a lot of the items you mentioned are generalizations. They may be positive, or have positive intent, but they're generalizations nonetheless. So while I'm not opposed to the idea of Animorphs set in a different culture/time period/alternate universe I do want to caution you.

You say most people in Japan are very well behaved. This may or may not be true. Most people in the Boston area are very helpful and friendly to tourists, that doesn't mean you won't run into the occasional cashier who is out to rip you off.

How much of your observations are based on actually going to Japan or knowing someone from Japan and how much is based on what you've seen in movies, anime, Internet and books?

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
    • Dreaming on :P
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
    Well, I think it'll work better if it's crossover with something that takes place in Japan. Other than that, it just feels like it's going to be the same.
    Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
    click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Doomhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
    Boston?

Well, I spent 5 months in Japan this year, leaving about 25 days ago! I lived with a family and got a lot of chances to witness everyday life. I felt like there were enough cultural differences to make characters' thought patterns and therefore the story different enough from the books.
    Rachel rolled her eyes. "Yeah. It's a swell sound. Sometimes I just lie in bed for six or seven hours doing nothing but saying 'million.'"

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
    • Dreaming on :P
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:14:01 AM »
    but probably most other here dont know the culturs of Japan, making it very annoying to both you and the RPer, having to correct then every so often
    Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
    click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

NateSean

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
    Boston?

Capital of Massachusetts.

As yunyun pointed out an RP might not work so well. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it out as a fanfic.

I notice from your profile that you were from Russia. I'd be equally interested in reading a fanfic set around the area you grew up.

Offline Doomhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
    Coincidentally, I was thinking about it today and thought a fanfic might be a better option- thanks for the advice!

I'm not actually from Russia, I'm just here for 6 months studying, I know a lot less about Russia than Japan! :/