Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #12 The Reaction  (Read 4544 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #12 The Reaction
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Synopsis
Trust no one....
Rachel's having problems. She's lost control of her morphing ability, and an elephant falling through her bedroom floor is not a welcome occurrence. Jumping from morph to morph may expose the Animorphs greatest secret. But Rachel, being Rachel isn't about to back out of the fight...

Questions

1. What do you think of the Yeerk plan to recruit using a pop culture icon? How likely would you be to join an organization that could bring you closer to your celebrity crush?

2. Is it surprising to you that McCole agreed to the deal? What promises do you think it would take to persuade someone to join The Sharing?

3. Visser Three gets personally involved in recruiting Jeremy Jason. Does in make since for the highest ranking Yeerk on the planet to deal with a TV star?

4. What are your thoughts on the Visser's assortment and use of morphs? Having been harassed so effectively by the Animorphs for so long, why do you think he never uses any Earth creatures in combat?

5. What did you think about Rachel's daring, and public, rescue of a child at zoo? What would she have done if she were not an Animorph?

6. This book introduces the allergy aspect of morphing. What do you think think of this complication to the morphing technology? How about Rachel's' particular allergy to, and burping of, the crocodile?

7. What do you think of Rachel's development to this point? She opens the book remarking that she is not fearless, and those without fear are crazy-what do you think of this notion? What about her decision to stay involved in the mission despite her inability to control her morphs? What do you think of her susceptibility and control of her emotions, especially anger and, as Marco puts it, l-o-o-o-v-e?

8. In this book Rachel morphs, and does battle, with a crocodile. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a crocodile to be like? What animals do you think would be a match for it in a fight? Can you tell a crocodile from an alligator?

9. Rachel's  known to make reckless decisions; in this book she jumps into a crocodile pit, hides and lies about her disability to the team. What choices that Rachel makes in this book would you do, or do differently? How do you evaluate and justify a reckless decision before, during and after the deed is done?

10. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

11. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week:  #13 The Change
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #12 The Reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »
Okay, you touched on a lot of my thoughts...

1. I'm not a crush-type person so it wouldn't have worked for me. :p

4. I want to know what he means by "just acquired" it. Has he been on other planets since (say) the beginning of the series?

5. As per my thoughts elsewhere, I think this is the kind of circumstance when her actions might actually be justified.

6. A little bit of a hand-wave, but I like the idea of having to "cough up" an extra copy. And that it is based on emotion to a point--given that Andalites are telepathic and all, I could imagine a lot of it having to do with "what's in your head."

7. Those lines struck me but I don't really know what I think about them, heh. They're just kind of intriguing.

Offline AllyVP

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
   1. What do you think of the Yeerk plan to recruit using a pop culture icon? How likely would you be to join an organization that could bring you closer to your celebrity crush?

I think it makes total sense from their point of view.  And I believe wholeheartedly that it would have worked.  It was the equivalent of Justin Beiber.  Pre-teen girls would have been fighting tooth and nail for possible membership in a group that might get them within five miles of him.  And I am ashamed to admit that this would have worked on pre-teen me, also. 

2. Is it surprising to you that McCole agreed to the deal? What promises do you think it would take to persuade someone to join The Sharing?

I don’t think he knew entirely what he was agreeing to.  I think that he was perfectly casted as the selfish, never-satisfied, spoiled celebrity.  What promises are given depends on how much their victim knows.  If they know nothing, like most people, they just want to be promised a good time.  If they know that something is up, they just don’t know what, then promises need to be a little juicer, Such as in the case with McCole’s case.

3. Visser Three gets personally involved in recruiting Jeremy Jason. Does it make since for the highest ranking Yeerk on the planet to deal with a TV star?

Nope.  That was bulls***.  Visser Three would have way better things to be doing.

4. What are your thoughts on the Visser's assortment and use of morphs? Having been harassed so effectively by the Animorphs for so long, why do you think he never uses any Earth creatures in combat?

I think it’s a pride thing.  Using the body of an animal shows a certain level of respect for it.  You’re saying that your shape isn’t adequate for your task, and borrowing the animal’s.  Visser Three makes his disdain for our planet and creatures very clear.  Visser Three is nothing if not stubborn, and he has decided that the power of the Yeerks and only the power of the Yeerks will crush Earth.  They need no help.  Of course, like Rachel said, “Earth is a tough neighborhood.”

5. What did you think about Rachel's daring, and public, rescue of a child at zoo? What would she have done if she were not an Animorph?

You know, I wonder if she would have done the same thing.  Rachel jumped in because she knew she had the morphing power.  She is brave and reckless, but she is not stupid. 

6. This book introduces the allergy aspect of morphing. What do you think think of this complication to the morphing technology? How about Rachel's' particular allergy to, and burping of, the crocodile?

For one, I find it a little hard to believe that she is allergic to crocodiles.  Usually, animal allergies are triggered by their saliva or dandruff.  What about the crocodile was she allergic to?
We never run into this problem again, with anyone.  So, I think it was a little pointless. Why explain something unless it is relevant? 

7. What do you think of Rachel's development to this point? She opens the book remarking that she is not fearless, and those without fear are crazy-what do you think of this notion? What about her decision to stay involved in the mission despite her inability to control her morphs? What do you think of her susceptibility and control of her emotions, especially anger and, as Marco puts it, l-o-o-o-v-e?

She articulated perfectly my feelings about bravery and courage.  Those who have read Game of Thrones will recognize this:  “Can a man be brave and scared at the same time?”  “That is the only time he can be brave.”
I think that she was an idiot.  Not because she didn’t want to be left out, that’s fine, I feel the same way often.  But her allergy put the others in danger.  If she had sucked up her pride and stayed behind, Visser Three never would have noticed, they could have completed the mission, and they never would have had to deal with the javelin fish.  But what really gets me is that after that fiasco, she lied again!  And Ax and Cassie saved her butt, so in her mind it was a success.  She didn’t learn her lesson.

8. In this book Rachel morphs, and does battle, with a crocodile. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a crocodile to be like? What animals do you think would be a match for it in a fight? Can you tell a crocodile from an alligator?

No, I cannot.  I know that the alligator’s snout is supposed to be rounder, and the crocodile’s more pointed.  But if you pointed at one and asked, I would already be hauling butt away from it, because either way, it doesn’t even have to wake up to kill me.
I really liked the portrayal of the crocodile.  I’m not sure about how accurate it is, because they seem sleepy most of the time.  Like snakes.  A slow metabolism.  But I can definitely imagine that it might be a sleepy animal because it is such an effective killer.
I always wondered why one of the others didn’t try to get a crocodile morph.  It was more powerful than any of their extremely powerful battle morphs, except Ax.  And Ax only got it (I think) because he was fast, and it was dark.  No Animorph gets a crocodile until the auxiliary Animorphs are brought in.

9. Rachel's  known to make reckless decisions; in this book she jumps into a crocodile pit, hides and lies about her disability to the team. What choices that Rachel makes in this book would you do, or do differently? How do you evaluate and justify a reckless decision before, during and after the deed is done?

Well first, hindsight is 20/20.  We can all say that we would have done it differently, but that’s largely because we know how it turned out.  I would probably have jumped into the crocodile pit (especially if I had the ability to morph, probably not if I didn’t), but I definitely would have told them the truth about not burping the crocodile.

10. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

Re-read it to do this.  I wonder if they’ll change all the references to PowerHouse.  That was an old reference even then. 

11. Anything else?

Nope!!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
   1. Not terrible. I was never into fan clubs, but I gather millions are, so it must have a fair chance to boost numbers. Though I note that means they would probably be going after kids and teens and again: they leave the school were they have a high administrator UNTOUCHED so clearly they aren't thinking straight.

2. Yes. I don't know celebrity persona's, I don't know if it's normal for them to hunt fame by any means necessary. I imagine they promised him glory, and if he understood the consequences at all, I wouldn't expect him to have it on external conditions. Well, I wouldn't anyway, but I'll elaborate on that later.

3. Nope, dumb, and why I wish they'd made a lieutenant by now.

4. I like V3's morphs, he's got an impressive repertoire to say the least. Wish they'd been described more thoroughly. I think his refusal to use Earth morphs was-first, he's dumb, second pride. Always looked down on all of Earth. Foolish pride.

5. Courageous, bold, dumb. Really kids, stop with the public shows. I don't think she'd have done anything if she didn't have the power. The war enabled her to do the dumb things she wanted; but she isn't dumb. I don't see a non morphing Rachel jumping into a crocodile pit.

6. Mostly inconsequential, but makes you ponder the scientific aspects again. Why a crocodile of all things? The burping was hysterical though.

7. "remarking that she is not fearless, and those without fear are crazy ", like I said, not dumb. Damn skippy right there. But like I said, she does dumb things. Fighting while crippled-bad for you, bad for your friends, bad Rachel. I'd say she's getting more reckless, if not more violent yet. Emotions are admittedly hard to control, though she could have worked on anger some more. Her and l-o-o-o-v-e though was funny. Not a side of her you see, but good to show. Much harder to control to, unless you really know how to use your anger-personal experience, but that's not healthy.

8. I like the croc, though it was a little too much live-or-die when it was doing anything. The cold and restful seemed well enough. Locomotively, I'm not envious of a croc, but it would be excellent to try out though jaws. And the full body armor is not without it's charms. I know that crocs and gaters differ in the snout and display of teeth, but I never remember which is which. But I like to think if my friend did battle and became and was allergic to one, I'd remember which it was.

9. I would not jump into the crocodile pit. If I could morph, I might, but that really would not be my first instinct. Lying was dumb, but you know, I'm more likely to do that. Pride is a potent poison, and I don't like to admit aliments. Personally I'm not very reckless, when I do something risky, I lie to myself before hand, and say I'll be okay, I'm immortal, stuff like that. Can't think about it during, and after lie to myself with the promise, "I'll never do that again." Marco's advice I believe. See? Series relevant to real life.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:15:08 AM »
What happened to Rachel's outer clothing (which she didn't have time to take off) when she morphed the crocodile, and why didn't her narration mention the fate of her outer clothing during the process of morphing the croc?