1. What do you think of the Yeerk plan to recruit using a pop culture icon? How likely would you be to join an organization that could bring you closer to your celebrity crush?
I think it makes total sense from their point of view. And I believe wholeheartedly that it would have worked. It was the equivalent of Justin Beiber. Pre-teen girls would have been fighting tooth and nail for possible membership in a group that might get them within five miles of him. And I am ashamed to admit that this would have worked on pre-teen me, also.
2. Is it surprising to you that McCole agreed to the deal? What promises do you think it would take to persuade someone to join The Sharing?
I don’t think he knew entirely what he was agreeing to. I think that he was perfectly casted as the selfish, never-satisfied, spoiled celebrity. What promises are given depends on how much their victim knows. If they know nothing, like most people, they just want to be promised a good time. If they know that something is up, they just don’t know what, then promises need to be a little juicer, Such as in the case with McCole’s case.
3. Visser Three gets personally involved in recruiting Jeremy Jason. Does it make since for the highest ranking Yeerk on the planet to deal with a TV star?
Nope. That was bulls***. Visser Three would have way better things to be doing.
4. What are your thoughts on the Visser's assortment and use of morphs? Having been harassed so effectively by the Animorphs for so long, why do you think he never uses any Earth creatures in combat?
I think it’s a pride thing. Using the body of an animal shows a certain level of respect for it. You’re saying that your shape isn’t adequate for your task, and borrowing the animal’s. Visser Three makes his disdain for our planet and creatures very clear. Visser Three is nothing if not stubborn, and he has decided that the power of the Yeerks and only the power of the Yeerks will crush Earth. They need no help. Of course, like Rachel said, “Earth is a tough neighborhood.”
5. What did you think about Rachel's daring, and public, rescue of a child at zoo? What would she have done if she were not an Animorph?
You know, I wonder if she would have done the same thing. Rachel jumped in because she knew she had the morphing power. She is brave and reckless, but she is not stupid.
6. This book introduces the allergy aspect of morphing. What do you think think of this complication to the morphing technology? How about Rachel's' particular allergy to, and burping of, the crocodile?
For one, I find it a little hard to believe that she is allergic to crocodiles. Usually, animal allergies are triggered by their saliva or dandruff. What about the crocodile was she allergic to?
We never run into this problem again, with anyone. So, I think it was a little pointless. Why explain something unless it is relevant?
7. What do you think of Rachel's development to this point? She opens the book remarking that she is not fearless, and those without fear are crazy-what do you think of this notion? What about her decision to stay involved in the mission despite her inability to control her morphs? What do you think of her susceptibility and control of her emotions, especially anger and, as Marco puts it, l-o-o-o-v-e?
She articulated perfectly my feelings about bravery and courage. Those who have read Game of Thrones will recognize this: “Can a man be brave and scared at the same time?” “That is the only time he can be brave.”
I think that she was an idiot. Not because she didn’t want to be left out, that’s fine, I feel the same way often. But her allergy put the others in danger. If she had sucked up her pride and stayed behind, Visser Three never would have noticed, they could have completed the mission, and they never would have had to deal with the javelin fish. But what really gets me is that after that fiasco, she lied again! And Ax and Cassie saved her butt, so in her mind it was a success. She didn’t learn her lesson.
8. In this book Rachel morphs, and does battle, with a crocodile. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a crocodile to be like? What animals do you think would be a match for it in a fight? Can you tell a crocodile from an alligator?
No, I cannot. I know that the alligator’s snout is supposed to be rounder, and the crocodile’s more pointed. But if you pointed at one and asked, I would already be hauling butt away from it, because either way, it doesn’t even have to wake up to kill me.
I really liked the portrayal of the crocodile. I’m not sure about how accurate it is, because they seem sleepy most of the time. Like snakes. A slow metabolism. But I can definitely imagine that it might be a sleepy animal because it is such an effective killer.
I always wondered why one of the others didn’t try to get a crocodile morph. It was more powerful than any of their extremely powerful battle morphs, except Ax. And Ax only got it (I think) because he was fast, and it was dark. No Animorph gets a crocodile until the auxiliary Animorphs are brought in.
9. Rachel's known to make reckless decisions; in this book she jumps into a crocodile pit, hides and lies about her disability to the team. What choices that Rachel makes in this book would you do, or do differently? How do you evaluate and justify a reckless decision before, during and after the deed is done?
Well first, hindsight is 20/20. We can all say that we would have done it differently, but that’s largely because we know how it turned out. I would probably have jumped into the crocodile pit (especially if I had the ability to morph, probably not if I didn’t), but I definitely would have told them the truth about not burping the crocodile.
10. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?
Re-read it to do this. I wonder if they’ll change all the references to PowerHouse. That was an old reference even then.
11. Anything else?