Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 590097 times)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #6150 on: October 21, 2016, 01:48:53 AM »
oh crap. this could go badly
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #6151 on: October 21, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
True.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIX:
Don't Let It Snow!

As they walked outside, the noticed that snow was starting to fall, almost innocuously. They took this as swift confirmation that something was quite indeed wrong, as snow at this time of year was unheard of for this climate.

Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

Cloak ignored the song that decided to play his head, as he looked fretfully at the falling balls of fluff. It disconcerted the Realm Walker, who never liked snow to begin with. Each flake fell with a delicate, deceivingly harmless demeanor.

And this is anything but delightful.

The quartet hurried along, following Aquilai's energy tracker. All were very serious and grim, but none had the foresight to enlist the help from the others. All they knew was that they had to be on top of this A.S.A.P.

And the lights are turned way down low . . .

Cloak noticed that the lights were off in a majority of the buildings they passed. Perhaps the people living their decided to turn in early, as the sun just set, or maybe there was a blackout. None of the quartet had bothered to question this, as they were focused on finding the source of this sinister sun-siphoning device.

Don't let it snow,
Don't let it snow,
Don't let it snow!

Cloak was reminded as the four RAFians crunched through the newly  accumulated snow upon the streets just how much he despised snow. It was not even a foreign phenomenon to him either, as the Nexus got snow for a couple of months of their year -- roughly three or four years on this Earth.

It doesn't show signs of stopping.

If anything the snow showed signs of becoming a flurry. This did not help Cloak's disposition very much, but just showcased why he vehemently detested such weather. This was getting to be too much like when the ice ifrit decided to invite himself into turning RAF and the surrounding areas into a glacier. Cloak wasn't pleased.

And we've brought no corn for popping.

Enough of the song already! Cloak scolded himself, as he refocused upon the task at hand, It's time to be serious!

"The source cannot be far now," Aquilai assured them.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6152 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
i get so invested in your stories cloak i love them.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6153 on: October 22, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
It's always good to know one's endeavors are appreciated. :)

New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
Schoolhouse Rock

"It's coming from here," Aquilai said.

"Are you completely serious right now?" Saffa asked.

"Modern innovation never lies," Aquilai said, solemnly.

"Seriously?" Saffa said, skeptically. "Aquilai, it's a schoolhouse!"

"From the 1820s," Cloak said, with no idea if he was accurate. But this thing most certainly looked like a relic from a bygone age. It was fire truck red with white trim and even a bell tower. But it was a simple, single-room building.

"The scanner says it's in there," Aquilai said, politely mulish.

"Let's just go have a look around," Esty said. "School ended the other day, so we should have the place to ourselves."

"You don't honestly think they still have classes in this museum piece, do you?" Cloak asked. He'd seen what modern-day schools looked like in this area -- much like the Realm Walker schools back in the Nexus.

"Perhaps," Esty said, with a noncommittal shrug, "perhaps not."

When they approached the door, it was frozen shut. But Esty's warm corona was sufficient to cause the ice to retreat and allow entry. Cloak was no certain classes were not held here -- the door was unlocked.

It was a very ominous feeling. Cloak felt as if he was back as a cub, doing something very naughty. He would have been terrified to tell his parents -- but he was so oblivious and naive back then. He shook his head to clear it.

"What is it?" Esty noticed Cloak's shaking of his head.

"Nothing," Cloak said, repressively.

"It's on the second floor," Aquilai said.

Cloak looked up, and he found that he was unsure about this. Something told him something very bad was about to happen. But he didn't know what, and it alarmed him.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Cloak said.

"And there's the nail in the coffin," Saffa muttered, but Cloak could hear her just fine. He ignored the jibe.

Aquilai looked down as they arrived on the top floor the school house. He picked up some oddly shaped box the size and rough shape of an old-school Game Boy. It had two LED lights on it, with the right one blinking green. Aquilai looked both mollified and disconcerted by it.

"That's what's shrinking Sol?" Esty asked, skeptically.

"Uh, no," Aquilai said.

"Then what is it?" Cloak said, though he thought he knew the answer.

"It's . . . it's a dummy device designed to fool my energy tracker," Aquilai said.

"So, we've been snuckered," Cloak said, feeling some deja vu that he couldn't recall why.

"'Snuckered'?" Saffa inquired teasingly. Cloak ignored it.

"Not only that, it's a bomb," Aquilai said.

"Stupid question time," Saffa said. "When does the bomb go off?"

"About five seconds from now!!" Aquilai cried.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6154 on: October 23, 2016, 03:23:38 AM »
pffffffff i can't help but find the bomb terribly amusing. i don't really even know why XD
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6155 on: October 23, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Eh. *shrug* Anyway, November 18 to, say, November 21 or 23, Memoirs will be on hiatus. Reason? Pokemon Sun.

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
For Whom the Bell Blows

"Oh, this is gonna blow in five seconds!!" Aquilai said, evidently trying to stave off a bubbling panic in his heart.

"Throw it beneath that bell," Cloak said.

"Wha--"

"Don't waste time!" the Realm Walker snapped angrily. "Just do it!!"

He did without any more protest. Cloak, using his mastery of his least favorite element, sent the tough hemp rope alight. Until the bell came crashing down and managed to muffle most of the explosion.

But, still, it was sufficient enough to crack the heavy metal of the bell, and blow off the front wall of the school house, which landed with an anticlimactic thud upon newly packed snow.

"Well," Aquilai said, catching his breath, "school's out."

Saffa gave him a look, "That was such a GH line."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Aquilai said, unconcernedly.

Estelore and Cloak weren't joining in the celebration. The both were looking up. According to the big business building clock, it was ten in the morning, but you'd never be able to tell. It was dark outside.

"Sol . . ."

"It's been drained so much that it appears the same size as other stars," Cloak observed grimly. "Which means it won't exert as much gravitational force, which means we probably have already lost Pluto, Neptune and Uranus. Possibly Santurn and Jupiter."

"Who would make such a machine?" Saffa asked, incredulous.

"Deluded egomaniac, nutso who wants to destroy the world, militaristic madman who wants to weaponize this and had had it turned against him," Cloak said, carelessly listing off possibilities. Then he added with a shrug of his shoulders, "Take your pick."

"None of the more devastating side effects of this has happened yet," Esty said, "we must make sure that it remains this way."

"The question remains," Aquilai said. "How? How do we do that?"

"We get lucky," Saffa suggested.

"Yeah, like that's been working for us," Cloak said, jaded.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6156 on: October 23, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »
oh man. have fun with that!!
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6157 on: October 24, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
It hasn't come out yet, Abby. It doesn't until the 18th.

Anyway, I got a new book idea.

• BOOK MXCIX (1,099): "Ghosts From Abby's Past" -- Abby gets a new archenemy in Exhile.

Getting close to Year 12. Which will be twelve years in-story. Wow. And we're just one more book idea away from reaching Year 12. Saffa'll hatta come up with three more banners. ;)

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINE:
Dumb Luck

"Not with that attitude!" Saffa exclaimed.

"Bleh," Cloak said, in response.

"Sol . . . poor Sol . . ." Esty said, mournful and almost tearfully. "He didn't deserve this. He did nothing to warrant such an attack . . ."

It was almost as if Estelore had given the sun up as a lost star. Lost due to the shortsightedness of a bumbling idiot playing as a big shot. She didn't know this for certain, but the more she thought of it the more angry she got.

She did not know who was behind this, but she didn't care. She didn't care if it was some reality-bending Celestialsapien doing this to a star, but she couldn't help but take the attack personally. Sol was a nonsentient star, but she cared about it -- or him, as she put it, despite stars having no gender (although the sentient kind can have a gender identity, apparently) -- as a kid would care for a puppy.

Her reaction was thus understandable in that regard. If someone battered a puppy that they cared about, their first reaction would be a flared temper. Estelore, despite being a powerful sentient star, had the frailties and strengths of emotion that all sentient (and nonsentient) beings possessed. She could lead impassioned speeches, but she could also let it cloud her judgement as any other being with emotions could. If she didn't control her feelings, her anger . . .

"We might as well face it," Aquilai said, mourning his tracker, which was damaged in the resulting shockwave from the explosion. "We're never going to find what's shrinking the sun."

Esty glared at him, and it was fortunate that she wasn't a basilisk. She was losing control over her anger -- and Cloak noticed. It did not make him feel any better as he saw himself in her at that moment. Himself, before his powwow sessions with Aniyu. It was not a pleasant thing to do.

He was about to ask her for a word, privately, but he was interrupted by Saffa saying, pointing to a rundown looking tower, "Oh, that part's easy. It's the Mile-High Tower!!"

Cloak looked and saw that the beam was so faintly blue anyone would have difficulty in seeing it. It was very nearly transparent. Even with his Walker eyes, he could only just discern it.

"Well," Aquilai said, "what an amazing cowinky-dink."

"Never say that again," Saffa replied.

"Why?"

"Isn't obvious?"

"Esty?" Cloak said. "A word?"

"We're wasting time," Esty snapped. She was ignoring Cloak, and he knew precisely what she was doing. She was mad, and she -- whether consciously or unconsciously -- wanted to stay mad. "Every second we spend being glib, is a second we squander before Sol is extinguished forever."

"Estelore --"

"Not now, Cloak!" she growled. "We have to get our butts in gear!"

Cloak said nothing, but frowned deeply. She was going on a dangerous path. He knew it. He was once on that path himself. He had to save her . . . from herself.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:59:20 PM by Cloak »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6158 on: October 25, 2016, 01:01:22 AM »
oh yeah, i know. but when it does, have fun. also i feel esty. i've done that a few times...
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6159 on: October 25, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TEN:
The Sentry

"Estelore," Cloak said. He spoke with more authority in his tone. "We need to talk. It's urgent."

"No, Cloak," Esty said, rebuffing the Realm Walker. Whether consciously or unconsciously, she felt as if sh needed anger. She did not want to let it go. She wouldn't. "This is more important!"

Meanwhile, Aquilai and Saffa had come upon a robotic sentry. It looked like a ramshackled Techadon robot. It did not look sleek and new, as some parts were clearly Terran in origin and other parts were clearly rusted over. It looked completely cobbled together haphazardly and inexpertly. It was a pitiful sentry.

"Estelore. What do you think this anger will accomplish?" Cloak demanded, firmly. He spoke clearly and authoritatively.

"You wouldn't understand," she angrily sneered.

Aquilai and Saffa were finding this sentry to be laughably easy to circumvent. Which perplexed them. Perhaps the  ease of handling it was a ploy to lower their guards? If an average human could have this simple a time deal with it . . .

"Wouldn't I?" Cloak said. He wasn't about to let the subject drop. "You're feeling unbelievable pain and apoplectic rage. How do think I felt when I discovered how little my mother cared about me? How do think I felt when I discovered how she used me? I know this rage, this Pain, Estelore."

"This is about justice," Estelore countered.

The Aquilai and Saffa easily knocked it over, and it was unable to right itself from the snow. It did not appear to have any weapons and a ridiculously simplistic A.I., if you could really call it artificial intelligence.

"I don't think so," Cloak said, continuing the conversation with Estelore as if there was no interruption. "I think it's about revenge."

"Fine, maybe it is!" she snarled. "Maybe it's what I need. Maybe it's what he deserves."

The other two were succeeding with undue proficiently in deactivating the sentry and then . . . putting it out of its Frankenstein-ized misery.

"Estelore," Cloak said, "you sound like Atrocitus."

Atrocitus was the leader of the Red Lanterns, whose rings were powered by rage and hatred. He was also a monster to human imaginations. Cloak didn't know the particulars of his backstory, but he was a bad dude.

"It's not the same!" Estelore snapped.

"Revenge and hatred is a fire that burns you from the inside out," Cloak said. "Even if you successfully reeked your revenge, what then, Estelore? You cannot ever give that life back upon any regret of your actions."

"He's evil," Estelore said, mulishly.

"I'm not denying that," Cloak said. "But how is killing him going to help anything?"

"Don't you take that high-and-mighty tone with me, Cloak," Estelore snarled. " I heard about what happened to the Siren."

Then she stormed into the building, after Saffa and Aquilai.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6160 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:10 PM »
ouch...
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6161 on: October 26, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
Just wait.

I must say this book is turning out to be more character driven than I initially outlined. Not that that's a bad thing. Anyway, new chapter.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Out of Order

"Estelore, stop," Cloak said, as the quartet entered the slowly deteriorating building -- it was a structural marvel in that it hadn't collapsed yet. The remark about the Siren may have stung, but there were more important priorities to consider. "You're being irrational."

"So what?" she said.

Cloak pulled her around, and her eyes were glowing with anger. If she wasn't careful, she would break her avatar, and that would be detrimental to all life on Earth, as Esty was an average-sized yellow star, albeit one with the incredibly rare sentience. It would frighten most people to see this.

But Cloak wasn't most people. There was only one person he had ever truly feared. Estelore wasn't her. True, she might possess more brute power than he did, but even she couldn't kill him. Only another Realm Walker had the capability to do that.

"You. Aren't. Thinking. Clearly," Cloak said, instinctively baring his fangs with every word, speaking with gritted teeth.

"I don't care!"

"Well, you had better!!" Cloak said, his own anger flaring up now. He was present of mind enough to quickly quell his temper. "In your anger, you're becoming reckless. You're acting without thinking, without considering any potential backlash or ramifications to your hasty actions."

"Don't lecture me, Realm Walker!!" Estelore said. Cloak halfway expected her human visage to shatter and Estelore's true form of a huge, burning ball of sentient gas to appear before him. But it didn't. "Don't make me bring up the Siren again."

"I did what needed to be done," Cloak shot back.

"And so will I," she snapped.

"Do you feel as awkward as I do, right now?" Aquilai whispered to Saffa, watching this exchange with exasperation and concern.

"Like mommy and daddy are fighting?" Saffa replied, with acid sarcasm. "Oh, just a tad."

"No, Estelore, you won't. You will lash out in anger. You'll end up doing something that you regret down the line." Cloak said. "You are taking this far too personally to be prudent."

"Oh, yeah? What about --"

"Killing the Siren wasn't personal for me," Cloak interrupted, knowing this argument was coming, and was prepared for it. "It was just a necessity to save the lives of others."

"That's what I --"

"You and I both know that is most certainly not your intention," Cloak cut across. He wasn't about to back down. She could maim him horribly, possibly. But he had lived through worse. He had been on his deathbed a little over a year -- Dweller time -- ago. He bounced back from that. He would with whatever Estelore saw fit to do to him. "You've allowed you emotions to control your thinking, to shape your view on this subject. Your hatred is understandable, but a hindrance to you, and this mission. You are allow it to cloud your judgement -- once you take a life, you cannot ever undo it. It will still be gone."

Estelore said nothing, but walked to an abandoned elevator shaft. It was frozen over, and the doors had been pried open with a crowbar that laid forgotten upon the top of the elevator box which was between this floor and a basement.

"Estelore," Cloak said, his tone apologetic now, "I'm sorry to be proselytizing at a time like this, but I don't want you to commit an.act that you will come to regret. You stars live a long time. Even longer than my kind. I don't want you to spend the next eons mulling over a mistake."

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #6162 on: October 27, 2016, 12:56:35 AM »
nah, it's a great thing, honestly. i really like this book.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6163 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
Indeed, Abby. And now is where I diverge from my outline.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
An Unexpected Reversal of Fortunes

Estelore said nothing more on the subject, even as they approached the final wall. Cloak had managed to adapt his Earthsight into Woodsight, even mouldering wood such as this. Cloak was concerned, but he clearly could not sway Estelore from what she was determined to do.

He feared for her. He feared for what the ramifications might do to her sanity. She might lose it like any supervillain origin story, or it might shatter like a fragile vase. Sure, the RAFians joke amongst each other that they are insane, but that is all said in jest. Even Seal's Sanity-Sucker was nothing more than a glorified vacuum cleaner, really.

But this was serious. Cloak had seen this before, because he had been in Estelore's position before. Allowing anger to fill you up, allowing yourself to hold onto it, never relinquishing the anger, the hatred, the pain. All it does is hurt you, and those around you.

Cloak never liked to see his friends, especially the ones he held dear, in such pain, in the pain that he had burdened himself with, pain he knew and recognized all too well. If Estelore didn't let her anger go, if she didn't allow at least some modicum of forgiveness in her heart, she will hurtle down a path she may never recover from. Cloak felt as if he couldn't allow that, but his efforts, his endeavors, have proven again and again to be fruitless and futile. Estelore amongst the first RAFians that he made friend with. If she and the others had not, Cloak might still be inclined to believe the things that he was raised to believe -- both about Dwellers, and about himself.

The plain, wooden door leading to the massive room was still quite intact, if a little on the rusty side. The door was undecorated with all the paint chipped off, like the wall surrounding it. Cloak could tell that there was a massive machine in the room and it was the only sort of furnishing, aside from a threadbare, moth-eaten couch. And he knew there was only one occupant, but he didn't need Woodsight. His feline sense of smell could detect his scent quite easily, as if he hadn't found the time to bathe in some time. His feline hearing picked a sort of scuffling movement. Those were things that he didn't bother to disguise, apparently.

They only waited a moment or two before charging into the room.

"What do you mean by it?! What do you mean about siphoning off Sol's substance and strength and --" Estelore roared immediately. But it was more subdued than Cloak was expecting. Apparently, some of Estelore's passionate anger cooled somewhat.

Cloak could see why Estelore stopped midsentence. The man before them had like zero intimidation factor. He was like Tom Hanks or whoever it was in "Castaway", only his beard was longer, dirtier, and scragglier, and the man himself was far thinner and clearly malnourished. His clothing -- clearly secondhand, as well -- just hung limply off his thin frame. He wasn't skeletally thin, but he was still too thin to be healthy. A lot of his teeth were cracked, chipped, or missing entirely. All in all, he was a pathetic-looking man whose simply appearance was sufficient to inspire pity.

He stood before the machine, whose beam was more visible from this angle. It looked.like one of those bubble guns that parents use to make bubbles for their kids. The machine was shaped like a "7" with a solid base that seemed to be on wheels of some sort. It looked almost professionally made, somehow. At the back, almost as if they were a power source, were four diamonds cut and faceted in the classical diamond shape. There was a white diamond atop, a blue diamond below the white and to the left, a yellow diamond below the white and to the right, and a pink diamond on the bottom.

"Oh, hello," the man said, speaking surprisingly genially, "I'm Jonas Barlowe. And you are clearly RAFians."

All four were taken aback by such a polite reception. Yes, even Esty.

"Estelore, Cloak, Aquilai, and Saffa, if I'm not mistaken?" he said.

This just unnerved them.

"How'd you know that?" Saffa said, suspicious.

"Hmm?" he replied, still ever so politely. "Oh, I read the reports over at Cadmus."

Then he looked like he let slip something he wasn't supposed to.

"Oops. Looks like I broke the confidentiality agreement," he said, with a shrug, "oh, well. It's not they'll come looking for me after my fall from grace, anyhow."

"You need to stop your machine," Cloak said. "Before you do irreparable harm."

"Oh?" he said, never abandoning his polite intonation. "Oh, yes. That."

The RAFians expected resistance, expected him to fly into a rage with a passionate refusal. They expected him to drop and completely abandon the veneer of politeness, or at least, respectfully deny their request.

But he didn't do any of those things.

"Oh?" he said. "Right you are, then."

He flipped.the machine into reverse and started returning the substance, strength, and energy back to the sun. The RAFians were gobsmacked. He had actually complied with absolutely no resistance!!

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #6164 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »
I'm caught up of course. This chapter was a nice change of pace. All dressed up with no where to go  :P
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.