Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589950 times)

guitarhero01234

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #5115 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »
Ahh, ok. Certainly not complaining, though. I want a pet croc now IRL.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #5116 on: November 27, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »
I was afraid of that.

New chapter.

CHAPTER THREE:
Dangerous Care Package

In the dark of the night, the package was delivered to the forum. It had a yellow loofah, a tall red bottle of some sort of shampoo, a shorter orange bottle of some ort of conditioner, a shorter, green bottle of some sort of body wash, a small blue tub of shea butter, a squatter, indigo tub of some sort of lotion, and a pink bottle of a bath oil. They all sat in a wicker basket, wrapped up in clear plastic with white and black ribbons.

The delivery should have been seen as suspicious, as it was obviously designed to be a Valentine's gift and that was still about a month away, give or take. But no one one seemed to have taken notice of it.

Except Raeyvn.

The care basket did not have a card with it, so it wasn't addressed toward anyone. Raevyn took it for herself, and went to her thread immediately hence. She used the loofah -- which was admirable, considering her avian physiology, and each of the bottles. She found the shea butter a little too harsh for her liking, and the shampoo and conditioner were a tad too watery for her liking. The body wash was a bit too thick for her liking, as well. The lotion burned in the most inappropriate way. Only the bath oil was decent, though she found the slate gray color a bit odd.

She examined herself after the rapid indulgence of the care packages. She was none the worse for wear, but she dismissed the rest as being cheap knockoffs, and decided that the bath oil was anything of worth from it.

Malice was watching, almost voyeuristic, through a small, undetectable camera in the basket's handle. She was pleased with the results, with Raevyn's sheer ignorance of what she had done. She had done somethjng that might allow Malice to blackmail her witb the cure.

She had poured a lithomorphogenic toxin into the bottle. It was a slow-acting toxin. It would slowly transmute Raevyn into stone, bit by bit, until she's a petrified statue. It would be a slow, excruciating process, but Malice wouldn't have it any other way.

She could make her move at any moment, at her discretion, at her whim. But . . . what was this? She hadn't expected this development.

"Oh, this shall be interesting," she muttered to herself.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:06:25 AM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #5117 on: November 28, 2015, 04:30:33 AM »
WHY WOULD YOU EVEN USE STUFF THAT WAS RANDOMLY LEFT ON YOUR DOORSTEP?!!?!????!

*cue Saffa's trademark "white people" eyeroll*

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5118 on: November 28, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Well, technically, she's a "birdy", as per the Species List when I outlined this book initially. How did she open the stuff and use it? Well, the same way Iago did in the "Aladdin" episode this was based off of.

And the next chapter will have to wait until a little after 7, my time.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #5119 on: November 28, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
How is not the question. Why is. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5120 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Naivete, I suppose. Raevyn hasn't been on that many missions (and hasn't been on the forum in forever, now that I think of it), so she's a bit, well, naive, I guess. Sorry, I'm tired.

:edit: New chapter.

CHAPTER FOUR:
Well, That Bites

There really is no rest for the weary, even for the RAFians. (Saffa was even once heard to retort, "Avengers, eat your heart out.")

A gigantic, hunchbacked creature composed entirely of stone with broad, long arms was lumbering in through the city, but clearly had no interest in the metal of the city, like Garfield and raisins. But its mere presence was causing a disturbance.

One that people like Bern Bridges would inevitably blame on them.

"A Rock Chewer," Cloak identified.

<Looks like a Jubba-Jubba with a big head,> Esplin said, derisively.

"What d'you know of this creature?" GH asked, Leatherhead perched on his right shoulder.

"GH, you do realize that you won't be able to keep him forever, right?"

"Stop sidestepping the question. Spill." GH said seriously.

Cloak sighed. He didn't like how close the two were getting, when he knew the inevitable conclusion.

"Fine. Truth of the matter is I don't know anything about Rock Chewers other than the fact that they are composed stone and they consume it as well."

"Well, the question of cannibalism must be thrown out there," a nameless RAFian asked. And he was ignored.

"He seems to be uninterested in the city itself," Aquilai noted. "But seems to be looking for something."

"Isn't it obvious, guys?" Saffa said. "It's going to the quarry."

Silence.

"Seriously? You didn't see it?" she asked, genuinely surprised.

"It doesn't look evil or at all hostile," Dpsb noticed. "It problably just was feeling a little peckish."

This on in this vein for sometime as Raevyn watched quietly from her perch. Suddenly felt something very wrong happen. When she looked down at her left foot, she saw something that alarmed her a great deal. It would alarm anyone a great deal if it happened to them.

She fluttered away from the others so they wouldn't see, so Cloak wouldn't be able to sense it. She flew, sputtered, flustered away, cursing her naive nature, immediately blaming the bath oil and things.

Her rightmost talon on her left foot. It was solid stone.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:22:30 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5121 on: November 28, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIVE:
Malice Has Her Eye On The Birdy

Raevyn felt ashamed for her brashness with the bath oils, conditioner, and whatnot. She should have been more cautious. That's why no one got to it before she did. Everyone else had the sense to not welcome gifts from unseen donators. Why did she fall for it? Why did she not think about the consequences? And she knew it had to have been in one of the bottles in the care package. She could not say which one precisely did it, but she was intelligent enough to know that it had been her bathing with the items of said care basket.

Raevyn jerked her head up, from this seething, seeping pool of self-pity, when she heard something. Whistling. A woman whistling. That tune . . . what was it? It most certainly sounded familiar.

Ah-ha! It was "The Farmer in the Dell". And, yet, it sounded ominous and sinister. For the last bit, it was sung aloud:

"The birdy flies alone.
The birdy flies alone.
Heigh-ho, the derry-o . . .
The birdy flies alone.
"

"Who's there?!" Raevyn demanded.

"My," came a coy, condescending voice, the whistler's dry, drawling voice, "you are new to this, aren't you?"

Raevyn didn't appreciate the implication. Or the attitude. But she was a bit distracted as her entire left foot turned to slate-gray stone.

"Ah," said the unimpressed voice, "so you were the one who enjoyed my little care package. I especially loved the bath oil. Did you, dearie? I hope so, m'dear. It was my very own special blend."

Funny, how the speaker could make that sound very sinister.

"Who are you?" Raevyn asked. She hoped her suspicions were wrong.

"Haven't figured it out yet, dearie? Such a shame," the speaker said. The speaker walked lazily into view, revealling that it was, unsurprisingly, Malice. Raevyn's hopes were dashed. She wasn't stupid, she knew who Malice was.

"What do you want?" Raevyn replied, acidly.

"Oh, you've cut me to the quick!" Malice said, with an overdramatic gasp, to accentuate her sarcasm. Raevyn glared at her, her foot clunking quite noticeably whenever she shifted weight. Malice continued, gloatingly, "You'll continue your petrification slowly, very slowy. When it's complete, you'll be trapped in a static body of stone, incapable of movement, unable to breathe. Eventually, your mind will begin to fade away to nothing, leaving behind a statuary of a forgotten RAFian."

Malice paused, savoring having Raevyn in her power. Malice was addicted to such power trips.

"Not to mention there's a Rock Chewer on the loose, so you might become a lovely hors d'oeuvres for it," Malice said, relishing the monologue. "But I have a little trinket here, a little vial. I can cure you, but you must do what I want."

Raevyn couldn't believe it. Or maybe she could. Malice actually believed that she would betray the RAFians. Raevyn glowered at Malice, who seemed to be too entralled with the theatrics of her monologue.

"You shall be my spy," Malice crowed. "A replacement for my last inside man. Just say yes, and -- WHERE THE VEIL ARE YOU GOING?!"

But Raevyn was too busy winging away. Away from Malice, away from the RAFians, away from everyone. It was time for her to accept her inevitable fate . . .

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5122 on: November 29, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
New book ideas!

• Book DCCCXLII: "The Seasonal Swords" -- The RAFians must secure the Swords of the Seasons -- the Sword of Summer, the Sword of Autumn, the Sword of Winter, and the Sword of Spring.
  • Book DCCCXLIII: "Coattails" -- The RAFians must deal with a spectral doppelganger, who gets in over his head.
  • Book DCCCXLIV: "Ghost Riding" -- The RAFians must deal with a ghost called Rider, and another called Malefic.

All titles are subject to change, and are not final. I don't think that I rehashed anything.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIX:
Recent Realizations

The Rock Biter, or Rock Chewer if you prefer, quietly lumbered out of the city, with only most minimal damage that was only cosmetic in nature, not structural. It didn't seem interested in the stones that made up the concrete, acting as if it thought of them much like a lactose-intolerant person thinks of milk.

It left people in a state of shock, but no one was hurt by pacific, gentle giant. The cosmetic damge was really only nickel-and-dime stuff, nothing real extensive. However, the forest stood between him and the quarry, and the trees were much too closely packed together for him to easily navigate around, and if he barrelled through, he would surely snap many a tree in his path.

It did not want this, so he slowly began to lumber around the forest, in a very sedate, loping gait, much like a Bigfoot. It would take him longer to get to the quarry by this route, but it didn't want to dislodge birds and other critters from their homes and nests, and he would much preferred if all the trees within would stay in one piece. It was a gentle soul with pacifist nature, so out-and-out violence was not something that it desired, if it could help.

Raevyn continued to fly away from both Malice and the RAFians. She still cursed her naivete for indulging in that accursed care basket. She was allowing herself to feel despair, which deepened everytime she looked at her petrified foot. Despite the fact that RAF was lrobably the best place for her right now.

Part of her, that selfish bit that every sentient being possessed (yes, even Realm Walker -- perhaps even especially Realm Walkers), that part her wondered if she should have taken Malice's offer. If she should have . . .

No. No, she can't allow herself to think that way. She would never turn traitor against them. Even Rotiart -- though it was his name backwards -- never betrayed them. She wouldn't sink so low. She wasn't Itellsya. She wasn't.

She would have to go somewhere safe. There wasn't anything she could do. She was helpless. She had to just accept the inevitable. Her fate was to be some sort of statuary, where she would eventually cease to be.

"Ugh!" she grunted. Her flight had become harder. Her entire left leg had turned to slate-gray stone. A rocky drumstick. She had to land. And she did, within Cloak's Earthsight radius.

The minute Raevyn set down, it send out minute vibrations. It barely activated Earthsight, but Cloak "see" it just the same. Just barely. But this just confused him, as he was unaware of the care package.

"Oh, that thing?" Saffa said, surprised. "Someone actually took it? I thought it might have been dangerous."

"But you still left it out there?" Terenia asked.

"Yeah, I didn't think anyone would actually use it," she explained. "Trojan Horse, and all that."

"I think Raevyn might have," Cloak said. "It's probably still in her thread."

"What makes you say that?" Abby asked.

"I sensed a small stone landing on the ground," Cloak said. "It was shaped, if I'm correct, like a bird's leg."

"Wha--?" GH said. Leatherhead looked invested, as well.

"One of the chemicals in the care package must have been a disguised lithomorphogenic agent," the Realm Walker speculated.

"A what?" Underseen asked.

"A chemical agent that turns things to stone," Cloak said. "Which leaves the obvious perpetrator."

"Malice?" GH asked.

"Who else?" Saffa said, with a shrug.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #5123 on: November 29, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Guessing she sent out the Rock-Chewer too?

Book DCCCXLII: "The Seasonal Swords" -- The RAFians must secure the Swords of the Seasons -- the Sword of Summer, the Sword of Autumn, the Sword of Winter, and the Sword of Spring.

This sounds like Game of Thrones. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5124 on: November 29, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »
Guessing she sent out the Rock-Chewer too?

She may have a hand in it.

Book DCCCXLII: "The Seasonal Swords" -- The RAFians must secure the Swords of the Seasons -- the Sword of Summer, the Sword of Autumn, the Sword of Winter, and the Sword of Spring.
This sounds like Game of Thrones. :P

Actually it came from Riordan's new series, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asguard. I've never seen the Game of Thrones.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #5125 on: November 29, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
Damn, I have to get my hands on the ebook for that one.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5126 on: November 29, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
It's a long one.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
A Proximity Problem

Raevyn had found herself a little thicket to hide herself in. There, she did possibly the worst thing that someone could ever do in her position.

She felt despair. The thing about despair is that it works like quicksand. The more you mire yourself in it, the quicker it drags you down to your most basic instincts. And it's far harder to pull yourself out than it is to go in.

It's easy to wallow in despair and depression, what's hard is to pull yourself out of such a state of mind. It has to be a conscious effort, where as melancholy and despair can be fell into with or without conscious thought. It can blind you to your environment, make you oblivious to that around you, even if it something necessary for survival.

Despair is a method for shutting down from the world.* It can be a very dangerous thing to feel for one's well-being.

Raevyn was allowing herself to fall into that trap, that gooey mire of despair and depression. One would have wonder if she would be able to claw her way back out. Which only lead her further down when her pelvic area turned to stone so that she looked like a Vullaby with a prosethic, immobile, stone left leg.

But, in Raevyn's case, it was also bad, because her hiding place was a little too close to the open. A little too close to the pathway that the Rock Biter, or Rock Chewer if you prefer, was slowly lumbering on. They would pass in close proximity towards each other.

Closer . . .

Closer . . .

Closer still . . .

Until the Rock Biter, or Rock Chewer, passed her by, much like the Frito or Cheeto that invariably finds its way between the couch cushions, to the unawares of the person gobbling them down. But Raevyn remained unaware of the precarious proximity that she was in to a creature who was very dangerous to her.

"A rock ifrit," Cloak said, having identified the bottle. "This bottle contains rock ifrit venom."

"Ifrit? You mean like that ice ifrit?" Saffa said, at once.

"Kind of," Cloak said. "But different clade of creature. This one I believe is rather nonsentient. I could be mistaken, though. It wouldn't be the first time."

"It's in the database," Parker said, showing a holographic representation of the beast. It had an ugly, pugnacious face, with two fangs protruding up from the sides of its mouth and which the upper part was like a bird's beak. It had moderate-sized eyes, with bags around them, flared ears reminiscent of a Raichu, and a quadrupedal form, with tiny, chiropteran, vestigial wings. It's body was thick and solid, with a tiny saurian tail.

"'Summoned with a teal, curlicue horn'," Parker read, "'the Horn of the Rock Ifrit.' Another horn thing? How many of them are in this thing?"

"Don't we have a more pressing concern?" Saffa said.

"The Rock Biter?" GH asked.

"No!" Saffa said, exasperatedly. "Raevyn! C'mon, people!!"

*I know it sounds harsh, but I felt despair before. Probably many more times that I chose to forget.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:07:31 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5127 on: December 01, 2015, 12:06:27 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
Urgency and Emergency

"Saffa's right," Cloak said. "We must act quickly. The database describes a cure for the lithomorphogenic agents in the rock ifrit's venom."

"I'll get the lab boys on it," Parker said, at once, with purpose in his tone and gait.

"Excellent," Cloak said, with a snap in his voice. "I'll take GH -- no, the former petsuchos cannot come, GH, don't bring him -- Faerie, Demos, Mithril, and Saffa with me to get to our lost RAFian."

"Why can't LH come with?" GH protested.

"Too dangerous," Cloak said, bluntly and succinctly.

"Laserbeak accompanies Gaz on missions," GH said, petulantly.

"Do you really want to do this now?" Cloak said. "Laserbeak can fly, GH. He is not a baby. Leatherhead, as he is, would be more of a liability than help."

Cloak paused, as GH looked as if he wanted to argue the point, but Cloak swiftly cut him off.

"We can argue about it later. But, just now, we have to prioritize our conflicts." Cloak said. "We do not know if Raevyn is in immediate danger, or simply in proximity to danger. If we're lucky she's still --"

"Alive?"

"Organic," Cloak said. "I do not know how fast the venom works, but I onow it can turn organic tissue into solid stone. We're gonna have to rsce against a clock that's been ticking against us, against Raevyn, ever since she presumably used those toiletry things. The bath oils and whatnot."

Cloak sighed heavily.

"Raevyn is running out of time."

Raevyn still was huddled and bunkered down in her little hiding spot, away from prying eyes. Unnoticed by all but the most studious observers. She was resigned to her fate, which she decided was inevitable and immutable. Her despair was a murky mire thate continually sunk herself into, making it harder and harder to pull herself free from.

When her tail feathers solidified into a single plate of slate-gray stone, it serviced only to deepen her melancholy. She didn't see a way out of this. She felt so helpless. She felt so hollow and empty.

She felt that she was doomed to be a statuary. Doomed . . .

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5128 on: December 02, 2015, 05:13:55 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER NINE:
Tests and Quests

"Can either of you get a fix on her?" Faerie said, addressing Cloak and Mithril, as they pushed through the forest. She was referencing an elemental sensing ability any terrakinetic had the capability to access. Raevyn's body was becoming stone. So this should work on her stone parts.

"I . . . I . . ." Mithril stammered.

"Got her," Cloak said, closing his eyes focusing on sensing the stone of Raevyn's body and Earthsight. And he made a beeline for the location, only to have the way blocked off.

"What is that?" Saffa asked.

It looked like a pale gray wall. But it was a shin, with a stone foot of the same color on the end. Within moments, it lifted and pounded the ground minutes lster, at least a yard's length away.

"Question withdrawn," Saffa said.

"Where is Raevyn?" GH said, keeping them on track.

"On the move," Cloak said. "Her hiding spot is empty."

"So, she knows of the danger of the Rock Chewer?" Faerie asked.

"That," Cloak said, sighed heavily, "I cannot say."

"Which way did she go?" Saffa asked.

"Unless I'm mistaken," Cloak said, "northwest."

Doomed. Doomed for all time.

There was no hope. No cure.

Her other leg was gone. Stone now.

No hope.

She labored to lug her newly heavy body into the air, her stone lower body weighing her down. In more ways than one.

No cure.

She was sure her condition couldn't be reversed, though Malice indicated that it was, with bandying about with that stoppered green bottle. Raevyn believed it to be a lie, a placebo concocted by Malice to get her to do some dirty work for her, to get her to be the new Rumor.

No hope.

It could have even been poison in that bottle. It wouldn't have been out of character for her. She'd think it was funny. She always thout such things were funny.

She would have to leave. She would not burden herself upon the others. She simply would not.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #5129 on: December 02, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TEN:
Ticking Clock and Malice Shenanigans

The six felt the ticking clock. The sands of time was slipping through their fingers.

"We're running out of time," Faerie said. "We should take to the air."

"You're the only one that can fly," Demos pointed out.

"Cloak can ride that energy disc thing. Saffa can morph. GH can turn his guitar into a hoverbike." Faerie pointed out.

"And Demos and me?" Mithril asked.

"Hitch a ride with GH or Cloak," she replied. "If we don't hurry, we'll have a petrified birdy."

"Leaving so soon?" came a coy, drawling voice. "Aw, I'm so hurt."

It was Malice, leaning against a dying birch tree.

"What d'you want?" Cloak said, tone dryly acidic.

"Oooh, not very friendly," she cooed. "Is that any way to speak to a superior being?"

At this, Cloak scoffed disparagingly, "A superior being? You?"

Malice dropped her cavalier, coy demeanor instantly. When she spoke, her tone was nasty. "What are you implying, you worthless welp?"

"I'm not implying anything, you obtuse octogenarian," Cloak said, in his usual blunt manner. "Any of these RAFian Dwellers alone are worth a million of you."

"How DARE you!!" Malice raged. "I am a GOD to these INSECTS!! How DARE equate THEIR worth to MINE!!"

"I think you touched a nerve," GH said, in a carrying whisper.

"I WAS going to let you have this cure for the ifrit's venom," Malice said. A likely story. "But, now? I think I'm just going to smash it to the ground!!"

She didn't know that Goom, Aquilai, and Yarin were already working on it. She moved to smash it to the ground, while Cloak did not react. He knew Malice better than this. And he knew that if whatever she had in the bottle was actually important she wouldn't have been this reckless with it. If it was of any true importance, she would never have pulled this, not even play-acting.

She hesitated, almost as if she had briefly let her emotions get the better of her. Cloak, however, wasn't buying it. Cloak frowned deeply, realizing Malice was just running out Raevyn's clock. They hadn't time for these shenanigans!!

(January 7, 2020)