Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589944 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #4845 on: October 04, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
Happy to supply. ;) And here's the PDF.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #4846 on: October 04, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »
Thanks. As always, Saffa, it is appreciated.

But do you know what it is time for? The last book of Year 1! I . . . I hope that I can finish it.

New chapter.

BOOK C:
LOOP-DE-LOOP

CHAPTER ONE:
New Year's Eve

It was the last day of the year. The Dweller year, anyway. It was more like the end of a month for Realm Walkers. They hadn't even reached the end of the first quarter of a Nexus year (which is about two and half Dweller Earth years, approximately). So, Cloak was just about the only RAFian not celebrating.

The others were looking forward to firing fireworks at the stroke of midnight. Cloak wasn't particularly enthused. He never liked fireworks, to be honest. Too loud and too flashy for his tastes. But he understood why they desperately needed this, considering the bloodsport's events. And Rotiart's death. They needed some time to be jolly, jovial and roll about in frivolity.

But Cloak had never allowed himself to be that happy. In his experience, anytime he experienced such joy, the powers-that-be very frequently saw him cut down and that happiness taken from him, because apparently he wasn't permitted to be happy. He was to be scapegoat of everyone in existence, apparently.

But he decided that Rotiart's family needed to know. He knew practically nothing of Rotiart's past, though. Nor did he know his real name, assuming "Rotiart" was a chosen name very much like "Cloak" was for him. But, still, an effort had to be made. His next of kin had to be notified. . . .

He went to the archive, and looked up Rotiart's file. He had been a RAFian for scarcely two and a half years, roughly. He was sixteen . . . at his time of death. Beyond that he really didn't have much to go on.

He wasn't here when Rotiart first came to the forum. That was back when his mother was actively trying to prevent him from going to RAF . . . back when he called her ramshackled dilapidated mess of a house "home". Cloak shook his head violently. He didn't like remembering those times. They were so painful . . . so much so that he prayed every night that he would not wake up the following morning. Back when he thought death would provide him the only freedom.

Shadow and Faith were the only lights in this darkness, beacons of hope from the swampy mire of depression and self-loathing. A quagmire he wished not to ever revisit.

But he discovered a video of his arrival . . .

It was a cold November night. The sky was dark with clouds heavy with rain or snow -- the weather hadn't decided which yet.

The lone figure of Rotiart, then fourteen, was rushing toward the forum. He wore a green hoodie, dark blue jeans, monochromatic hi-tops, and a simple leather belt. All his clothes showed a great deal of wear and tear, but he did not care. He had no bags or bookbags or suitcases or anything with him. But he didn't seem to care. It was clear that he was running away from something.

He entered the grounds, as big, fat drops of cold rain began to pummel the ground, quickly snatched up by Richard. He asked him his name, and he gave them "Rotiart", apparently unaware that it was "traitor" backwards.

Cloak had to play the video again, scrutinizing it very closely. Trying to determine the direction that he came from, and taking note that Rotiart seemed to have be hurt in some benign way.

Cloak felt a stab of guilt. He was never exactly easy on the kid. And he might have been abused just as much as he was. Granted, he was never physically abused -- but he was intellectually, psychologically, and verbally abused. By his own mother. The guilt increased as he realized that he should have recognized the signs.

But if he ever did, he chose to ignore them. Rotiart's sheer overconfidence and grating arrogance made it easy. However, like all things, there was probably a reason behind it, one Cloak was not privy to.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:48:59 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4847 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:28 PM »
So, I got kinda bored and wrote this up. It was done in the span of about 15 minutes so it's kinda (read: really) crap, but meh.

[spoiler]Here from Cloak's hilltop view,
Here from the wild dream come true.
Party as RAFians, we do,
With karma and posts never few.

But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought we could have you one more day.

When Malice and hers had us down,
Combatting the Wessen she found.
Arrogant all the way down,
Up to our necks soon to drown.

But you changed that all for us,
Lifted us up, turned us 'round.

So I . . .

I would,
And I would,
If I could,
Wish it away,
Wish it all away.
Wanna wish it all away,
No pressure could hold, sway,
Or justify our actions toward you, Rotiart.

So if I could I'd wish it all away,
If I knew that all this would take you away.
You, the scapegoat, bastard, yet our martyr,
Just trying to give you one more day.

Damn my mind!
Damn my mind if it should compromise a spirit,
Thoughts and words should drive you down,
You might be better gone.

Shine on forever,
Shine on misunderstood son.
Shine on upon the RAFians,
Shine until we all become one.

Divided, we're withering away.
Without you, we're withering away,
Shine on upon the many, light our way,
Misunderstood son.

Sing in union.

Speak in union,
So, as we survive,
Another day and season,
Silence, Malice,
Save your poison,
Malice, silence,
Stay out of our way![/spoiler]

Source song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF0lVn3n12I

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #4848 on: October 05, 2015, 02:23:01 AM »
That sounds so cool gh!

Onto Book C already. Jeez.
Hypothetically, I could catch up in 9 days seeing how it took me 1 day to read the first ten books, but let's be real, I don't have enough commitment for that. I am reading them, slowly but surely. One day I'll catch up.

One day.
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4849 on: October 05, 2015, 02:50:48 AM »
Oh man, I completely forgot to send you the books. I am so sorry, I got caught up in exam week and just forgot. :/ You'll have to keep reminding me.

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #4850 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:06 AM »
Oh no it's  fine, I can easily just read them here. I think exams are more important :)
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4851 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:38 AM »
That sounds so cool gh!

Onto Book C already. Jeez.
Hypothetically, I could catch up in 9 days seeing how it took me 1 day to read the first ten books, but let's be real, I don't have enough commitment for that. I am reading them, slowly but surely. One day I'll catch up.

One day.

Yeah, 'bout that . . . the chapters of later books tend to be rather longer (well, most times, I think) and not all of them are just twenty chapters long (which for some reason puts me to thinking about Weird Al's "This Song is Six Words Long").

Just a quick warning.

And that's 100 out of 808 (yeah, I haven't posted the last two book ideas yet). So that's essentially nine years the series spans thus far.

And now I'm rambling and haven't posted the daily chapter yet. . . .

New, shortish chapter.

CHAPTER TWO:
She Plays a Magic Card

"This had better work," Malice said, holding the card.

The only reason why she was hesitating, though she would never admit it,  she was afraid. Afraid that she went through all this trouble, and this magic would not live up to its promises. She went through so much trouble, endured so much tedium.

It had to work. It had better work.

There could be no more hesitation now. She had to enact her latest scheme. She could not put it off anymore, it would either work or it won't. It was as simple and clear cut as that. She held the card aloft, not unlike the any of the duelist in the "Yu-Gi-Oh!" franchise, who are summoning a powerful monster, or their signature one.

"Tempus loramenta." she spoke.

Nothing happened.

"Tempus loramenta!"

Wind started to pick up as the card gave a puny glow.

"Tempest loramenta!!"

Wind strength increase marginally as the card gave off a weak purplish-black aura.

"Tempest loramenta!!!"

The wind strength increased more, as the card gave off a moderate purplish-black aura. The wind began to swirl around the card almost half-heartedly.

"TEMPEST LORAMENTA!!!"

The wind strength picked up in speed and strength again, as the card's glow became even more stronger.

"TEMPEST LORAMENTA!!! TEMPEST LORAMENTA!!!"

The wind spiraled around the card, and the card's glow increased in its intensity. This went on for a few more minutes with the wind's strength and speed increasing porportionally to the card's increasing luminescence.

Malice was invoking some powerful magic for some purpose known only to her, for some reasoning known only to her. Chances are she went through this kind of trouble because she was expecting some big reward.

Whatever the function of the magical card, it seemed to be taking effect as darkness started to envelope them all. As the magical card seemed to muffle and smother them all . . .
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:16:21 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4852 on: October 05, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
Was Tempus supposed to change spelling in the middle there? I'll have to edit it for the PDF accordingly.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4853 on: October 05, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
Actually, it wasn't, it was a CFRSU.

. . .

"CloakFigure Royally Screws Up".

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4854 on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
It is now my headcanon that Malice has a dragon fetish and sounds like Brock from Pokemon. Also she has a lot of money.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4855 on: October 05, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
Nah.

She doesn't play card games, she prefers to play mind games, actually.

New chapter.

CHAPTER THREE:
Richard's Analysis

Cloak decided that he had to go and ask Richard about that night. Qnd he had thought it best to do it before the sun went down. As it was a little past noon, he had little worry of that.

"Richard," Cloak said, as Richard was at his thread. "I need a word."

He nodded and invited Cloak into his thread, something no many people get to see. Not because Richard forebade it but because no one ever thought to ask. Cloak was, despite himself, surprised at the thread's interior.

He was expecting it to look more ostentatious and opulent than it was. It wasn't barren, but nor was it cluttered, like Cloak's thread could be at times. Especially when he was in one of his moods. Every was very fashionable, in a timeless way, and his room was actually decorated very economically, nothing really extraneous.

"What did you want to know, Cloak?" Richard said. Then, after a moment's hesitation, the founder of RAF asked, "Is this about Rotiart?"

"Yes," Cloak said, with earnest honesty. "We need to find his next of kin to inform him of his . . . his demise."

Richard sighed, "Don't think that I haven't thought about it, Cloak. But I don't know any more than you do on that. The night that he came to RAF, he said nothing about where he came from. He would fall into silence or change the subject whenever it was approached."

Cloak said nothing, taking a moment to digest this news. He knew that Richard wouldn't outright lie to him. It wasn't the type of guy he was. Though he was obviously a guy who has seen a lot, some of which that he'd rather not see.

"But," Richard said, breaking the silence that had fallen, "I could tell right away that he was running away from something. The way he was terrified to return from wherever he hailed from, his refusal of disclosing even the most basic facts about himself -- even I am not sure of his real name, as I am inclined to doubt that Rotiart was his true name. But seeing him that night . . . I could tell. I know it sounds strange, but his geetures, his mannerisms, the way he kept curling into a fetal position . . . it was an assumption, to be sure. But it seemed so obvious . . . I could tell it was a bad situation he had escaped from."

"Bad situation?" Cloak said, a bit sharper than he intended. "Bad how?"

"I think," Richard said, as if he was picking his phrasing carefully, "that you, of all people, know how Rotiart's situation was bad."

"What are you saying?"

Richard said nothing, knowing Cloak knew precisely what he was saying. But Cloak wasn't ready to believe it. In the end, Richard conceded to explain.

"Possibly the chief reason that he never got Banned, after all those antics," Richard said. "Perhaps I was soft, perhaps I was naïve, perhaps it was special treatment. But I could tell . . ."

"You could tell what?" Cloak prompted.

"I could tell," Richard said, with some sadness, "that Rotiart was abused."

"What?"

"I have no substantive proof," Richard said, "only circumstantial evidence."

Cloak fell into a guilty silence.

"But I have reason to believe that it was a combination of neglect and abuse of the physical, intellectual, psychological, and verbal variety." Richard said, somberly. "I admit my suspicions of this are one reason I was reticent to reveal this, one reason that I was hesitant to Ban him."

Richard heaved a sigh that sounded lke he held it for years.

"Yes, I'm aware that he was downright intolerable at times," he continued. "Arrogant and full of himself. But this one instnace, in this one instance, I saw him at his most vulnerable. He wasn't any of those things, not really. He was a good person -- one who felt that he had to cover up his own feelings of inadequacy with over-the-top bravado, and chose to hide his anxiety under an all-too- convincing veneer of sloth."

Claok said nothing. He never really thought of Rotiart as a smart-mouthed, little prick. But, even when people seem one-dimensional to us, there are usually layers that go unseen.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:18:28 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4856 on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Claok said nothing. He never really thought of Rotiart as a smart-mouthed, little prick. But, even when people seem one-dimensional to us, there are usually layers that go unseen.

Gonna be honest, that one . . . kinda hit me right in the gut. Amazing chapter, Cloaky. I think I kinda prefer the character pieces like this over the bigger action moments. Those are good as well, but damn man, I think this was some of the best writing I've seen from you.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4857 on: October 05, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »
What he said. Damn.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4858 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »
Thanks. :)

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOUR:
The Temporal Anomaly

Cloak left Richard's thread, mind full of the information. Rotiart was just like him, in the fact both of them were abused. But there was still so much unknown, and, despite himself, Cloak was curious. It's a bit of a hazard with being a cat, anthropomorphized or not.

He spent a good number of hours pondering this, and decided that the right thing still needed to be done. Just because Rotiart was as abused as Cloak was did not mean his entire family were perpetrators. Perhaps just a single parent was the source, as it was for Cloak.

He informed the others of his intentions.

"But Cloak you have no idea where to start," GH pointed out.

"I have a general direction of where Rotiart came from." Cloak said.

"That's not really much of a lead," Abby reminded hesitantly.

"No, it is not. That much I'll admit," Cloak said. "It may seem impossible, but it is something that must be done. Would you like it if your loved ones did not know of your death?"

"You're make a lot of assumptions, though, Cloak." Saffa said, pragmatically. "You don't know if he even has any living relatives, or if . . ."

Saffa trailed off, but Cloak finished her thought for her, "Or if they even would care. Yes, I know. But we have a duty, a responsibility, to do right by him. Considering how . . . you know."

"Yes," Saffa agreed, "but there's so much unknown. It won't be easy Cloak."

"You could help," Cloak said. Saffa looked hesitant . . . she, like many of the others, was looking forward to the fireworks and the festive celebrations to follow the coming of a new Dweller year. Cloak didn't feel the obligation to the celebrations, as it still only felt like a month to him, as it take another nine years or so, Dweller time, for the Nexus to one year. Cloak decided to take the pressure off. "But you can help me tomorrow. You and the others need the frivolity of this holiday of yours. I don't. I'll start investigating this foday, and you can join me the following day. Don't worry about -- and, more importantly, don't feel obligated. This is my 'white whale', so to speak, for the time being. Don't worry, though -- I'll keep my communicator on me."

With that, Cloak left RAF. The sun was still out, but it was late afternoon. Evening and dusk would fall just outside of an hour. Cloak wasn't concerned. He had the night vision of a tiger, not to mention Earthsight. Darkness was no barrier to him.

He stalked into the wilderness that separated RAF from the city, reasoning that Rotiart's home must be there. He had to reorient himself, as the location of the forum had changed since the time that Rotiart had first came to RAF, due to those pestilential paparazzi. Cloak was so intent on his goal he had lost track of time.

When he came out of this hyperfocused state, he realized that it was dark out, stars twinkling cheekily in the night sky. Cloak couldn't help but crack a smile, when considered that the Nexus never had anything like this. Everything in the Nexus was bioluminescent, so nighttime, darkness, they weren't really fears that the Realm Walkers had.

But, no, he scolded himself. He mustn't get sidetracked. He had to . . . suddenly doubts began to creep into his resolve. He felt sick. Physically nauseated.

Then he looked around his environment again, noticjng several things that were off. The sky, which had been clear and cloudless before, was now clouded over, with bits of starlight poking through here and there. It was impossible. It was cloudless a second before. Clouds cannot move that fast -- unless there was a force manipulating them.

But that wasn't all. The ground was soggy as opposed to slightly damp like was just a moment before. Cloak would be able to tell if the water was instantly siphoned out -- but it would take far longer than a second to do as such!

Cloak shook his head. He'd figure it out later. He had a mission to accomplish first.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4859 on: October 06, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIVE:
Time Lord Assessment

"Aquilai, what are you doing?" Aila asked.

"What do you think I'm doing, Ms. Frizzle?" he replied, swiftly.

"Don't call me that," Aila said, severely. "You know what I think of that theory.*"

"Can't you take a joke?"

"Yes," Aila said, "when it's funny."

Aquilai did not answer but continued to tinker on the underside of a console inside his beloved TARDIS. He was only doing maintenance and cleaning, because fortunately it did not require repair. His TARDIS was his baby, like Parker's armor was to Parker (but don't tell Helen that -- she already knows) and like Yarin's ship was to the Nyac. Aquilai cherished it as much as a man loves an expensive sports car. When he wasn't on a mission, training, or traveling through time, he is usually doing this.

"Aquilai." Aila said sharply.

"What?!" Aquilai said, just as sharply, with a touche of irritation.

"Do you think this is really --"

"I'm not going to the fireworks." Aquilai said, bluntly.

Aila had no romantic interest in Aquilai, seeing him as nothing more than a brother. A brother of the same species. But still, the abject rejection stung. She knew that Aquilai did not mean to hurt her feelings, but the blunt crassness of his tone is what stung.

"Look, Aila," said Aquilai, moving out from underneath the console and sitting up, "it's nothing against you, but I could never really find fireworks all that enjoyable. In my view, you seen them once, you've seen them all. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it's simply how I --"

He was interrupted when the TARDIS rocked a bit. It almost felt as if they were traveling backward. In a chronal sense. Both Time Lords knew that.

"Did you --"

"No," Aquilai said, at once. "I didn't activate the chronal travel function. That . . . that was . . . well, I dunno what that was!"

"Could it be a time loop?" Aila said. "I heard of them before . . ."

"God, I hope not." Aquilai replied heavily. "I wouldn't know the first thing to do to break it."

* Channel Frederator theory.

(January 7, 2020)