Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589657 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #4695 on: August 30, 2015, 04:27:22 AM »
Ah, something we're used to here. ::)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #4696 on: August 30, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
*winces*

Sorry to hear that, Saffa.

And, GH, Laserbeak would get to him before either of us could have done anything. He just really lucked out on that circumstance. Don't forget how overprotective he is. ;)

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
Guttural Glutton

"Two down, five more to go!" Pandora said, with more excitement than any of the RAFians thought prudent from the current situation. Cloak was still wondering if he made the right decision with Steele. "At this rate, all of them will be back in the Box by supper time!"

The RAFians said nothing. None of them were finding themselves particularly fond of her. Their alliance was mostly, if not wholly, due to a singular mutual interest, to bring the Evils back into the Box. Never mind the fact that they were released in the first place due to Pandora's own reckless carelessness.

Cloak's ears twitched as he heard a sort of snuffling sound, almost like a bear pawing though a dumpster. Apparently, falc0 heard it too as he went off, leaving his tenuous perch on a horizonal awning to take flight to the sound of the noise. Cloak followed suit, his feet padding so very quietly forward.

Dino's footsteps, even her compact form weren't that quiet, and were the loudest of them. The others footsteps were not silenced, and they freely slapped on the pavement.

It was coming from a dumpster. A heavy bin of rusting metal and chipping brackish green paint. There was sounds of chomping and eating and feasting coming from within. Clearly, a dumpster diver.

"All this for a dumpster diver?" Gaz said.

"Gross," Saffa said.

"More and more people are forced to do that every day," GH noted, "or they go hungry."

"The guy in there isn't going hungry," falc0 noted, rather harsher than he intended. "He looks as if he could do without a meal or two."

"That's rather mean of you, falc0," Demos said. "I approve!"

"And he has an Evil adhered him," falc0 said, "a yellowish-black one."

"Gula," Pandora said immediately, hefting up the Box. "Gluttony."

"Pandora, you must remember," Cloak said, severely, "we are not sacrificing anyone because of your carelessness."

"Carelessness?!" Pandora exclaimed in indignant tones. "When have I been careless?"

"I'd say losing the Box in the first place, for starters." GH said.

"Silence, mortal."

"No," Cloak growled at her, "how's about you be silent? It because of you that this whole thing happened to begin with. You'd think that would have taught you a little humility, especially because everyone knows that this isn't the first time this has happened on your watch."

Pandora said nothing, but her face betrayed her offense about the rebuke. Cloak found that he really didn't care, and the others looked as if they expected a fight between the two, before Pandora eventually submitted.

From the dumpster came some rather guttural sounds, before a head popped up. Cloak initially thought that someone threw away a blonde meerkat, that the boy in the dumpster had on his head. But no, it was his actual hairstyle, if you could call it a hairstyle. Anyway, the boy was unnaturally plump. His limbs were quite noticeably skinny and his head lacked any wobbly jowls one would have expected. One would think that he was just wearing a rather bad fatsuit.

He wore a white long-sleeved shirt with a loose, blue shirt over it and blue sweatpants. Of course, it would look just lovely -- if it wasn't covered with trashy grime and smeared with dumpster yuck. Not very attractive in the least.

"Wait, isn't that the son of Oswald Oburluk?" Demos asked, conversationally.

"Who?" GH inquired indifferently.

"Oh, he is the guy trying to lower minimum wage," Demos said, cavalierly.

"What does this have to do with anything?" Saffa said. "We can get the kid's backstory later, but, right now, we have other business to attend to. Like getting Gluttony back into the Box!"

"He has already been consumed," falc0 pointed out. "He was consumed all the while. Thr dumpster flap there prevented me from seeing."

"Bkx?" Don said, incomprehensibly and unintelligibly. He had gross things in his mouth. This was a very ugly side to gluttony.

"Expellocorpus." Cloak said, almost conversationally. Gula was completely unaware, and that cost it. It was quickly slurped back into the Box, taking all of Don's gluttonous tendencies with it.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4697 on: August 30, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
Might as well go hawk.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4698 on: August 31, 2015, 08:03:16 AM »
Not yet, Saffa. The next one won't be all that difficult to find. And, well, to be honest, you'll see where I stand on the subject of guns. But, if you read all the previous books, you can pretty much already guess where that is.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
Raging Wrath

BLAM!

Cloak curled his lip in disgust as he quickly moved toward the sound, with the others hot on his heel. Seriously -- he thought he could feel Dino's breath on the back of his neck.

BLAM! BLAM!

They had to quicken their pace. Cloak found himself thinking about the invention the humans called guns. Cloak saw them as horribly archaic and primitive, and he could not understand or even understand the lust some humans have over them. Why love such a device that was made to kill others without any skill? Why covet such a horrible invention made to rip others away from their loved ones?

It wasn't like a sword or an axe, as if you are unskilled with them, you would have a very slim chance of kill another, unless, of course, that was your intent. There haven't been any accidental stabbings to Cloak's knowledge, no accidental decapitations from swords and axes or guillotines. Just how many accidental shootings have there been? In this country alone, much less the world?

BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!!

Cloak decided his musings would have to wait, and, instead, finding the lunatic firing a gun indiscriminately. Which only furthered the Realm Walker's intense dislike for the crude, uncivilized weapons. How is it that there wasn't even the most meager of background checks for such deadly devices? They license people to drive cars -- which you have to have on you when you drive or face litigation of some sort -- and yet, not to own and operate guns?

It was not a technology Realm Walkers had or empoyed -- they really didn't need to, as their own innate abilities superseded them. Not all of them felt as negatively as Cloak, however, the ones that didn't had a deep, burning indifference.

They came to the would-be shooter, a redhaired man with a short stature and a Yosemite Sam mentality. He wore a very livid look on his face, and his gray eyes glinted with malevolent anger. It wouldn't be surprising if the Red Lanterns tried to claim him as their own.

"How come I'm not surprised?" Saffa asked rhetorically.

"Ira," Pandora said, immediately identifying the Evil, as Rosenbaum was reloading his cartoonish pistols. "Wrath."

It was remarkable that he hadn't shot anyone. The street was empty, abandoned. The only damage was purely cosmetic to the surrounding buildings. Ira was clearly amplifying Rosenbaum's wrath and ire. The reasoning behind this wasn't clear, and it even seemed detrimental to the Evil.

Suddenly, the metal in the gun crumpled, like tissue paper. It twisted and warped into the point of being absolutely, and unquestionably unusuable. This probably wasn't a very good idea in the long run, as Cloak could be seen as having destroyed evidence, and probably be construed to be such by the querulous. But Cloak couldn't help himself -- he detested guns, and could not stand seeing what this one in particular was being used for.

He'd deal with the querulent masses later, as well as the querulant gun enthusiasts who are offended with Cloak's destruction of a firearm. Cloak had more pressing priorities right now.

"Ira!" Pandora called.

Ira heard this and wasted no time in "consuming" his host, this Rosenbaum. It was clear that the only reason that it did this was so that it could speak directly to them. It seemed to relish what Rosenbaum was doing.

"You cannot stop me, mortals." he said, making Rosenbaum's emotionless, blank face seem oddly sinister. Even though his lips were not animated*. "I am finally free, and no one, but no one, will ever send me back!!"

"Are you sure about that?" Saffa asked. She may not be able to Ira itself, but she could very easily hear Rosenbaum's voice, and see the rather unnaturalness of his gesticulations, his blank face, his unfocused eyes . . . she could easily see the creepiness of the scene. "Really sure?"

"Yes!"

"Cloak? What are you waiting for?" GH asked.

"What?"

"Expellocorpus," Cloak said, almost languidly.

Ira was shot from Rosenbaum's body, taking all his rage and wrath with it. Pandora deftly sucked Ira into the Box without another word.

* If it isn't clear about this, yes, it was partially based on the fact that a lot a Muppets do not have lip articulation and such, but the general genesis of this idea came from an episode of "Austin & Ally", which I used have on as background noise sometimes, in where the titular character Austin get electrocuted and imagines a future of all white and such -- and eventually an "Austinbot" is introduced. That's really where I got most of this idea from. I thought it would be sufficiently creepy.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4699 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:02 AM »
New book ideas.

• Book DCCXCVI: "Bug Wars" -- The RAFians find themselves drawn into the middle of a war between Bugs and the Geonosians.
  • Book DCCXCVII: "Gestalt Crystals" -- The RAFians find themselves dealing with some unusual crystals.

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
Slow Sloth

"Only Superbia, Acedia, and Avaritia remain free," Pandora said. "Pride, Sloth, and Greed, in layman's terms."

"And we don't have any idea where they could be," Dino said. "Those three seem smarter than their fellows."

"Falc0, do you think you fly up for some aerial reconnaissance?" Cloak asked.

"Maybe," he said, speaking rather pointedly at Saffa. "With help. Like someone with a bird morph."

Saffa said nothing for only a minute, before exclaiming, "Oh, right! I can do that, I have a hawk morph."

With her rather more flashy morphs she acquired, including her favorite combat morph, a Tyrannopede, she had all but forgotten her hawk morph.

"Yes," falc0 said. "Now morph and lets find these three losers."

"Yeesh, who drenched your mouse in swamp water?" she countered, as she was morphed to red-tailed hawk. <No need to be so snippy.>

The two took off to search the inevitably adhered hosts of the Evils. Chances are they would be actively engaged in acts of greed, pride, or sloth. And, Saffa realized quickly, she could actually see the Evils themselves while in a morph such as this.

<We better find them soon . . . who know the kind of damage that they can do?>

"I think we've already nailed the most destructive one," falc0 said, thoughtfully. "Wrath."

<Doesn't mean the others aren't dangerous,> Saffa warned.

"Even Sloth?"

Saffa paused, and thought about that for a moment. Then she conceded, <Okay, maybe not Sloth so much, but Greed and Pride could still be highly destructive.>

"Speaking of Sloth," falc0 said, looking at nine o'clock, "see that bluish glow over there?"

<What about it?>

"I'm sure that it's an Evil," he elaborated. "The way that it seems to be in one place and not moving? I guessing that it's Sloth."

<I'm going in for a cautionary glance, then. Be ready to signal the others when I give the word.> Saffa said, deftly swooping over the area. She confirmed that it was an Evil, and it seemed to be reclined on the stairs if the stoop, noting them to be uglier than she thought. The host was a teenaged boy, and Sloth had already "consumed" him, and falc0 and Saff went to the others and brougt them to the place, as Saffa morphed back.

"Acedia," Pandora confirmed.

"Go away," Sloth said, speaking through the somnulent teen. "He's sleeping."

"Get up," Cloak said. He never had much patience for laziness. Exhaustion was different, however.

"No, he's sleeping."

"Then how is he talking? Why is is unfocused eyes opened?" Gaz said.

Sloth sat up the teenage boy, and Cloak said, almost bored, "Expellocorpus." Acedia flew away from the teen, taking all the boy's laziness and sloth with him. Pandora sucked it up into the Box.

"Now we only have two more to go." Dino said.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4700 on: September 01, 2015, 05:07:43 AM »
Good ol' hawk.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4701 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:20 AM »
Yep.

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Grievous Guitar Greed

"Only Avaritia and Superbia remain," Pandora said. Cloak still did not like the twittering excitement in her voice, but he said nothing, though he did give her a brief glare that she did not see.

"Saffa. Falc0." he said instead. "If you please."

Saffa remorphed hawk, knowing that she'll probably have to do this again to find the second Evil, after they find whatever the next on they find. She could help but wonder why Cloak couldn't just Earthsight whoever these two Evils had adhered to, before reasoning that the Evils were just not "Earthsightable", as they were not touching the ground, and, being insubstantial, would have no weight to them, invalidating any potential of them being seen through the Earth.

Saffa and falc0 took to the air once more. They rode upon thermals, and Saffa was mildly surprised that she could remember how to fly properly as a hawk rather than a Psycholeopterran. Granted, the hawk brain handled the logistics of the flight.

But their minds were soon full with the mission at hand. Despite what one might expect, the two did not see anything -- they heard it, first.

"MINE!!!"

"I think that would be Greed," falc0 commented unnecessarily.

<Ya think?> Saffa teased.

"Hey! That's not yours, boy!" came an angry voice.

"MINE!!"

"We better get the others and handle this before it gets ugly." falc0 said.

<Already on it,> Saffa replied.

"Not until you pay for it, its not!" declared the same irate voice.

"MINE!!!"

"Wait, I know you -- you're that Aplistia boy, aren't you?"

"MINE!!!"

BOINK!

"No, it's mine. Now you're banned from this store. Get lost, rich boy," the gruff voice said. Then it grumbled, "Some of us work for a living."

Within moments, the other RAFians and Pandora were on the scene. Saffa had swiftly demorphed in such a way one would wonder if she wasn't an esteen. She didn't want to become a hawk nothlit, not that there was anything wrong with that.

"MI--" Dan began, before realizing he had an audience. The RAFians and Pandora could easily see the Greed Evil adhered to the young redhead boy. Avaritia did not seem to realize this group had the Box with them, but seemed to be enjoying Dan's amplified greed and avarice.

Cloak found himself wondering what Ophidian the Tempter, the orange Entity of Avarice with which Agent Orange gets his power from, thought of this creature. Being the Entity of Avarice, he would not want to share the title, Cloak surmised. But as he was trapped within the Orange Lantern Battery, it should matter very little.

Dan had caught sight of GH's most precious and most favorite guitar. And, under the influence of Evil, he wanted it. He really wanted it. So, he decided to claim it as his own.

"MINE!!!"

"Don't think so," GH said, very coldly.

"MINE!!!"

"No, it's not." GH said, coolly calm.

"MINE!!"

"Can we please stop drawing this -- hey!"

Dan had seized GH's hand. The one that his Mark was on.

"MINE!!!"

"No, that's mine!" GH said, roughly, wrenching his hand away from the Evil-adhered boy. "Cloak, what are you wait-- dah!!"

Dan had seized his hand again, seemingly entranced by the Mark. GH roughly reclaimed his palm, and glowered at the Realm Walker.

"Oh, you're enjoying this, aren't you?" he accused. "Hurry up, Walker!"

Cloak smirked a bit, as Dan tried to seize GH's hand again, becoming rather like Gollum in a way, and he said, "Expellocorpus." He spoke the word, at the very moment that Avaritia tried to "consume" Dan.

Dan had all of his greed and avarice leeched from him as Avaritia was flung away. It was quickly sucked back into the Box.

"Now the strongest one remains," Pandora said, strangely serious.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:11:00 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4702 on: September 02, 2015, 03:12:50 AM »
Veeeeery unrealistic, Cloaky. It's obvious that I would have blasted that rich bastard into the next county for even thinking of touching one of my babies. And there would have been quite a few harsh words toward you as well. :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:31:00 AM by guitarhero01234 »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4703 on: September 02, 2015, 03:25:09 AM »
He's still nine.

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4704 on: September 02, 2015, 03:31:48 AM »
Doesn't matter. Nobody lays a finger on my guitars. And you're certainly not innocent for letting it happen!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4705 on: September 02, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
But he didn't touch your guitar. He was distracted by your Mark, and wanted that instead.

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4706 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »
. . . Wow, how did I somehow mistake my wrist for the guitar? Maybe I should learn to read a little better before leaving stupid comments. :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:27:13 PM by guitarhero01234 »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4707 on: September 02, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »
Well, it was, admittingly, vaguely written.

:edit: This book will be over twenty chapters. Maybe just by one, maybe not.

:edit: New chapter.

CHAPTER TWENTY:
Pride Problems

"Strongest one?" Gaz said, at once. "Pride?"

"The hardest Evil to beat," Pandora said, in a more solemn manner than the RAFians had seen from her. "Pride tends to be a very selfish thing, whereas an act of selflessness would have been able to weaken the others, not so with pride."

"Any reason that you waited to say this until now?" Saffa asked pointedly, before turning to GH and saying, "oh, enough grumbling about your guitar, GH! The kid didn't even touch it."

"There are finger marks!!"

"Those are yours," falc0 said, with his piercing eyesight able to see every loop and swirl of the fingerprints from this angle.

"No, they aren't!" GH protested.

"To think," Saffa retorted, in faux harsh way, "that I thought you were being mature about the whole thing."

GH glowered at Saffa, who shrugged it off. She was about to gloatingly mention who won when they battled right after the gladiator episode, but Cloak irritably interceded.

"Can we focus?!" Cloak said. The little outburst cause the very ground to tremble, asif there were merely an oncoming stampede of gnu, or wildebeests. It stopped abruptly when Cloak managed to regain his composure. "Going back to Saffa's original question, why are just now informing us of this tidbit of knowledge? This would have been useful five or six Evils ago."

"The way we're going about this is working," Pandora said, rather simply. "I didn't see any reason to bring it up, as such. Besides, the fact that they were returned to the Box after I . . . after I made the . . . the Mistake . . . should have already told you that there was another way to break the adherence."

"You've done this before." Dino said, summing up.

"Isn't that obvious?" Pandora said, quietly, showing a more vulnerable side to herself, one the RAFians hadn't seen before now.

Cloak easily recognized now that the haughty and arrogant posturing . . . it was a cover for an underlying insecurity, an underlying guilt. She couldn't help her addictive curiosity, it was just a facet of herself that she had to learn to live with. She felt guilty at allowing the Box to escape her possession, she felt self-anger at allowing it to come to pass and at allowing it to be open a second time. And more conflicting emotions enoug to make one wonder why she wasn't exploding.

Cloak was feeling some guilt himself. He had been essentially bullying her, to get her to do as they pleased. As a victim of bullying of himself, it shamed him with that knowledge he was a victimizer as well.

"We need to find Suburbia," Saffa said.

"Superbia," Demos and Pandora corrected.

"Whatever," Saffa said.

"I don't think it would be too hard to find," Dino said, thoughtfully. "I don't believe Pride hides all that well. I mean it is defined as the quality or state of being proud, right? Inordinate amount self-esteem. An unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, rank, or whatever, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve and contempt of others often, am I right?"

"Still we can't really expect to see it, adhered to a host or not, consumed host or not, simply strutting down the --" Gaz said, before being interrupted.

"There," falc0 said at once.

"How devilishly convenient," Demos commented benignly.

Betty Mitchell was already "consumed" by Superbia, and managed to strut down the street. Yet it didn't look as jerky and awkward as its six fellows. The movements looked far more natural, more unnoticeable that something was not right there. Pride, after all.

Superbia had her chest puffed out proudly. And it saw the RAFians. Unlike the others, Pride was confident (perhaps overconfident) that it could handle them. It was, after all, the strongest of all of the Evils.

"Go ahead," it said, with Bette's voice and mouth. Now this was just like its fellows. There was no lip articulation. It was just like that of the simplest animatronic, like a mere Muppet. "Go ahead and try to suck me into that Box. You can't do it."

"Expellocorpus," Cloak said.

This time was different. Pride was only forced to "unconsume" Bette, but was still adhered to her. She was quickly "consumed" again. The RAFians were stunned, while Pandora looked downcast.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:58:45 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4708 on: September 03, 2015, 04:28:20 AM »
Laughed my ass off at the beginning. I guess I really do need to read better before commenting, otherwise I'll make myself out to be even more of a whiny doofus, as demonstrated here. :P

Also, holy crap this is getting awesome. I can only imagine if Pride had somehow managed to consume Cloak. That would have been absolutely disastrous.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4709 on: September 03, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
And that can be your alternate "What If?" book. ;)