Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589491 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #3870 on: November 18, 2014, 05:07:35 AM »
Oh, he just saved the best for Chapter Sixteen. ;)

Nice subtle little fourth wall breach. ;)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3871 on: November 18, 2014, 05:45:07 AM »
Not really a fourth-wall breach. ;) But you'll find out in the next chapter.

New chapter. May be a bit short.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
Monopolizin' the Board

Guy managed to land on his feet, though rather harder than he would like. He was sure that he broke his leg, but the pain soon passed, and he could walk just fine. Though he may have been a little beaten up and worse for wear.

He stumbled into a large room, which looked as if was carved out by Taxxons. There was a fold-out table and two fold-out chairs, one of which was occupied. On the table was what appeared to be a board game. Guy was surprised at it.

"Welcome, player," said the chair occupant.

"Toyman," Guy said.

"Yes and no," the chair's occupant replied. So, it was another replica.

Guy looked over the board, and said, "I don't think that Parker Brothers would appreciate their product being used in life-or-death game."

"Take a seat," it said. It wasn't a request. Guy mulled over his options quickly, and decided to acquiesce. They played, and Guy was puzzled by Toyman's play style. Hei would only buy the cheapest properties and would not buy the railroads or the utilities. Guy was wondering if the Toyman knew how to play this game right or it he was deliberately taking a dive.

Guy was dominating the game, and he wondered again if the Toyman (who was obviously controlling this replica) had ever played this game before. If not, why use it to try to one-over him. He wasn't exactly putting up a good fight.

Guy eventually pushed Toyman into bankruptcy in the game, winning it. The replica slumped over the table, like a puppet whose strings have been cut. Guy was curious about the replica, the mechanics of it. But he fought his curosity, deciding that he had other, more pressing priorities.

He glanced back at it before heading out the exit.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3872 on: November 18, 2014, 06:23:59 AM »
I've always been bad at Monopoly.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3873 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
It was the first game I taught Shadow to play. And she loved it. And I found it particularly enjoyable playing it. With her. My sister, Dagger, was too much of a cutthroat and always wanted to quit when it looked like she would lose.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
Don't Play Games With Me

Cloak slid down the chute, and when he left the chute, he gave a somersault, spinning head-over-heel. When he landed it was in a dramatic way, with his left hand upon the ground, tail thrashing in a disconsolate way. He left a repressed snarl leave his lips, as he gazed suspiciously around at his surroundings. His Earthsight told him of no immediate threat, so he reared back up, placing his roughly four and half hundred pound weight upon his plantigrade feet. He wiggled his toes, alternatively sheathing and unsheathing his sharp, black claws.

The corridor wasn't completely dark, either. There was a light directly in front of him. Cloak narrowed his eyes, well aware of what was likely in the room beyond. He proceeded forward.

"Welcome, cloaked one!" Toyman said, not deigning to be there in person. "This game will be an obstacle course!"

"An obstacle course is not a game." Cloak said, voice colder than the surface of Pluto. "It could be a training exercise, but a game it is not."

"This is true," the Toyman conceded, "which is why it will be a race!"

Cloak was feeling thoroughly disgruntled. This pathetic little man had no idea what or who he was dealing with. Cloak immediately recognized the sheer arrogance of this thought and was ashamed for even having it.

The Toyman however was detailling the overly elaborate obstacle course. First, they (his "competitors" were basically the Alloys from "Super Smash Bros. Melee") would have to navigate a twisting ravine from the bottom, tread across a series of flimsy wooden planks which stretched across piranha-filled water, divine two electric switches from eighteen to open the gate to the next series of obstacles, navigate through thick vegetation,  navigate through a series of invisible walls, then navigate some warp panels, then answer riddles as lava threatens to over take them, and finally navigate some subterranean tunnels.

But that was just the first level of the course to navigate through. There were, from what Cloak could see, at least five more to come. He had a sneaking suspicion that the course was designed to never end, and, thus, would eventually start to repeat itself.

There would be no winner. Cloak found himself surprised that the Toyman could be capable of such subtlety. He had assumed that he was just a demented toy designer who allowed himself to go insane.

"Now," Toyman said, "on your mark . . ."

"No." Cloak said, as the Alloys crouched down.

". . . Get set. . . ."

"No," Cloak said, as the Alloys kicked their feet out in a runner's stance. It looked rather awkward for the Green Alloy, who had the body style of Kirby or Jigglypuff.

"GO!!!"

"I rather not, honestly." Cloak said, with scornful indifference. He stomped his foot and made a swiping motion with his right arm. The exit opened up.

"No, no, no, no, no! That's not part of the game!"

"Meh, take it up with my lawyer." Cloak said, flippantly nonchalant, as he brazenly exited despite the Toyman's constant and petulant cires of "No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!"

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3874 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »
Well that was a waste of space.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3875 on: November 19, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
What makes you think that it was even real? Was I being to subtle again, like with Itellsya? I guess I have a perchant to be TOO cryptic and vague at times. . . .

Anyway, my Internet is now officially gone at home. I don't want to be selfish and feel angry that I no longer have it -- I want to be glad that she is FINALLY doing something for herself. I swear that woman is that selfless.

So . . . sorry, no new chapter today. I'm just too tired to sit at this computer today.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:09:20 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3876 on: November 19, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »
That's alright. :)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3877 on: November 20, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »
Thank's for understanding. So, naturally, it might take a longer time for me to post chapters.

:edit: New chapter. May be short -- I am somewhat tired right now.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
Flight of the Toyman

It was a little while before Cloak could make contact with the others. But when they all met, their voices overlapped each other in a rush to tell them about their experiences. The only one who didn't speak was Cloak, he stayed silent. His eyes were shut, using his Earthsight to its utmost capability, to divine a way out.

Cloak was always naturally serious, as a veneer covering the sheer amount of fear he felt. Despite outward appearances, Cloak was very susceptible to fear. Cloak was wise enough to know that absence of fear wasn't any better -- as fear prevents being with emotion from doing stupid things. Funny how it seems to have the opposite effect in some teenagers.

Cloak found the way out, tuning his own musings out, to tell the others about it. Cloak set aside all his musings, deciding that now was not the best time for it as he led the others out. But he wasn't about to let the Toyman escape, even it meant tracking him down himself.

Meanwhile, in a dark room that was only illuminated by many monitors mounted up against one wall, sat the Toyman. He had his "Cherifer Boy"-style character head still on. One would think that the would have taken it off by now, or at least fiddled with it. But it would appear that the guy forgot it was even on.

One would think that he would want to get the heck outta dodge when he saw the look Cloak gave the security feed. But no. No, the Toyman stayed and lagged behind and dallied. He was already too busy grousing on the "unfairness" of it all.

They had cheated! They didn't play fair! Even the Goomba and SPARTAN! They all cheated!!

He would make them regret cheating him out of his fun. Winning, after all, was everything to him. And they denied him that satisfaction! They were  . . . they were . . . they were . . .

They were big meanies! That's all they were!

THUMP!

A simple book had slid to the floor, but it was enough to scare the Toyman. He suddenly remembered the destructive capability of the RAFians. Remembered what they could do to him if they caught him. Another object slid from its hidden precipice, and hit the Toyman upon the noggin. He wasn't injured thanks to his character head, which cracked from the impact.

He spun from his office chair and sprinted down a badly lit corridor, which tore at his collar and loose, poofy harlequin clothing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:24:38 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3878 on: November 24, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
Chapter! :D

Where did you get the internet from?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3879 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
Meridian, a place I go for my Creative Writing. I can't come every day though, they close at 4:30 and I get off at 3 usually. And sometimes, I'm tired, like right now, and have no energy for typing within that window.

Also there is an hour time limit before you are automatically logged out.

So I'll post chapters when, and if, I can. I mean, I am still planning out chapters. I have ideas for up to Book DXXIII (523), and I'll post them if I have the energy for them.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3880 on: November 25, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
All right then. :)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3881 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »
Okay, here's the new book ideas.

• Book DXIII: "The Beast of Decay" -- The RAFians must deal with a Time Beast.
  • Book DXIV: "Wandering Minds" -- The RAFians must deal with two rather usual feuding boys.
  • Book DXV: "Return of the Ultimate Assassin" -- The League of Assassins free the ultimate assassin from his incarceration.
  • Book DXVI: "Head Cases" -- The RAFians must deal with creatures dismissed as the lore of vampires.
  • Book DXVII: "Brain Soup for the Soul" -- The RAFians must confront two Anzati rivals, who prowl Earth.
  • Book DXVIII; "Cocooned Mana" -- The RAFians get entangled in the conflict between the Anodytes and the "Asas".
  • Book DXIX; "Cloak's Example" -- The Realm Walker Council claims that they are following Cloak's example of integrity.
  • Book DXX: "Mental Flow" -- In a possible future, people are able to change bodies with each other as easily as people of today switch outfits. Outside of normal continuity.
  • Book DXXI: "Boyhood Secrets" -- The RAFians must deal with a boy who has a power he abuses judiciously. The boy is no stranger to the RAFians.
  • Book DXXII: "The Mayflower Mk II" -- The 99% finally get fed up with avarice and greed of the 1%.
  • Book DXXIII: "The Reach of Emotions" -- Someone combines the characteristics of Reach beetles and the emotional spectrum.

Sorry, no chapter today, but this is something, right? Anyway, all titles subject to change, and a couple of the call back to previous books.

:edit: This is gonna have to tide you over. This place is closed tomorrow and Friday. I'm working both days, anyway.

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
Where Do You Think You're Going?

The Toyman blinked blearily in the morning sun, but of course this was unseen by all, as his face was still covered up by the character head, which looked more beat up than before he went down that passageway in the dark, and the crack in it was more pronounced. His clothing was tattered, and his "head" was covered with what appeared disturbingly like Taxxon slime.

He looked around, ignoring the fact that character heads like the one he insisted on never taking off had a very limited range of vision. Something one should always remember when visiting a theme park with such lovable characters (;)) The Toyman, in his sheer arrogance, decided that everything was clear and it was safe for him to come trundling out of the little hidey-hole.

He walked hurriedly a little further, and walked smack dab in a wall. This cause the head to crack further, making it seem like a rather dangerous scar over his right "eye". The wall was earthen and he was certain that it wasn't there before. Must be the limited vision from this mascot head. Should he take it off? No. No, he would never take it off. He would never . . .

SMACK!

Another earthen wall popped up from nowhere! That was for CERTAIN wasn't there before!

The crack on the character head became even more pronounced, if he moved his head in such away it would break away from his head like an eggshell.

"Oh, leaving so soon, Toyman?" came a bored voice.

"We were under the impression that you wanted to play with us," came a coy voice.

"It's not so much fun," came an indifferent voice, "when you're being toyed with, is it?"

"Stop it!!" the Toyman shrieked, child-like. "Stop it!!!"

The RAFians stepped into view, all looking rather foreboding. Cloak was the last, and only his feline eyes shone from beneath the hood of his cloak, which swept over his body rather lankily. He glared at the Toyman, and saw a grown man in tattered clothing and a cracked mascot head.

"Time to take that thing off," Cloak said.

"Never!" Toyman said.

Cloak ****ed his head to the side, perplexed. Why was he so intent on holding on to the head? Sure, it was obviously rather high-quality -- or at least, was -- but why was he hiding behind it? Why was it so important? Was it like a security blanket?

"Never!" Toyman insisted again.

"Enough of this," Sakki said. And she took it off rather roughly before the Toyman could protest or struggle. Beneath was a grown man, matching his body. His face had a hint of Asian ancestry but his face was pale -- as if due to the lack of sunlight -- with short-cropped black hair. He had the look about him that he would be boyishly handsome but had allowed it to be atrophied by concealing it within the character head.

It was Guy who recognized him, from the news several years back, "Manfried Childs?"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:57:47 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3882 on: November 30, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
Suddenly it turned into a Scooby-Doo episode. :XD:

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3883 on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:34 AM »
;)

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Hiding Behind the Character

"'Manfried Childs'?" Sakki s****ed. "His name is literally 'Man Childs'?"

Childs continued to try to conceal his face in the mascot head, but it had suffered too much damage. it wouldn't stay on his head.

"I don't remember hearing about him," Hunter said, as if Childs wasn't there. But, then again, Childs was more intent upon keeping the character head on, though it was impossible.

"The son of that toymaker, Gepetto Childs, who, I guess, spent all day in his father's shop watching him make toys." Guy said, guessing here and there. "According to the story, Gepetto dreamed of building a toy factory, but lack of capital prevented it. A mobster offered to bankroll Schott to build the toy factory, but unbeknownst to him, the mobster used it as a front for a numbers racket. The police eventually uncovered the scheme and the gangsters all fled, leaving the elder Childs take the fall for running the operation and falsely imprisoned for nonexistant embezzlement. Gepetto eventually died in prison, and Manfried was left on his own. I surmise he spent several years in abusive and neglectful foster homes, leaving him in a psychologically twisted state."

"So he spends his time making life-sized wind-up tanks, acid-spraying water pistols, and toy soldiers that carry real guns? Seriously?" Horse said. "This is like a perverse Scooby-Doo episode."

"How so?" Goom said, placidly.

"That doesn't matter now," Parker said. "Why hide behind that ludicrous mascot mask?"

"Hark who's talking," Marie said.

"This is a helmet," Parker said, defensively.

Marie said nothing, but allowed the silence to drive home her point more.

"It is a helmet," he repeated mulishly.

Suddenly, Childs was stood up, arms and legs pinioned together by stone slabs. This caused the character head to tumble off in a rather pathetic fashion. Cloak did not look pleased with what he had to do.

"He was getting away," the Realm Walker explained.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3884 on: December 01, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »
Isn't Geppetto from Pinocchio?