Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589560 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #3615 on: August 27, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
Yep. That joke had to be there somewhere in this book.

And new book ideas.

• Book CDXVII: "Beastmaker" -- A new game becomes a mega hit, but an alien species with no concept of fun or entertainment believes it to be real. (Fairly obvious what the main inspiration behind this was.)
  • Book CDXVIII: "RAFian Day"-- The government officiates a "RAFian Day" as a holiday, but notfor the reasons that they claim.
  • Book CDXIX: "The Knights Are Blasting Off Again!" -- The Knights become more proactive in their xenophobic genocidal plans.

Don't think I rehashed anything. Saffa?

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
. . . Wait -- Why Are You Smiling?

An hour or two later, Corruption proved just why it was so hard to hold on to a Realm Walker. He managed to wiggle out out of the trap, nevering questioning just how he was able to manage it, despite Cloak's display of power. Corruption, whether by his lineage or the nature of his powers, could be a very arrogant piece of work.

"Now where did they go?" he muttered murderously. There was a sound, soft as a breeze, and easily mistaken for one. "Right. That place. That 'forum', was it called? That's were the spawn of the Element Masters would be."

He glanced around for a minute, but not to get his bearings or see what direction the forum was from here. He looked around to see if whoever had spoke was still there. He was quite sure that it was someone who spoke to him. Seeing no one, and swatting at a bothersome gnat, he set off to RAF again.

"There you are!" Corruption said, easily penetrating the pitiful defenses the RAFians offered. He had been addressing Cloak, who had been sitting with his legs crossed, heel touching hip, with his hands resting upon his knees. His head was down, bowed.

This did not surprise or deter Corruption from his goal. He had just assumed, rather rashly for he did not take a prudent time in assessing the situation. He had allowed his fury to skew his judgement. He said, "Now, let me touch you."

Cloak looked up. "Oh no. Whatever shall I do?"

Corruption stopped in his steps. Cloak's deadpan delivery of that gave him misgivings. Corruption was even more unelneeved and offput when the Realm Walker RAFian smiled a mischievous smile, not unlike that of his sister and niece.

"Wait -- why are you smiling?" Corruption asked, now realizing the brashness of his actions. "The only reason you would be smiling when you're cornered like this is if . . . if this is . . . a . . ."

Suddenly, with a flash of movement that could only barely be seen with even Cloak's eyes, Corruptions hands were bound and enclosed with large metal capsules. His touch was efectively nullified without being energybent away. Cerulean stood a bit away, standing still with a smug smirk on his face.

"A trap." Cloak said, standing up in a needlessly acrobatic way. "And you just blindly walked into it. That's the thing about rage. It doesn't make you stronger, it makes you overlook things. It prevents you from thinking cohesively."

"You are nothing!" Corruption raged, furious at the indignity of being in such a position, as he flopped along the ground as his entire body was chained. "I will get out of this. I WILL. I will wriggle out of this trap and bestow my gift upon everyone once more!"

"Think again," Cloak said. "Those are just any old chains. They're tylee metal, which fortunately don't rust or corrode over time, considering where Faith found them,  forgotten in the forest."

"It doesn't matter! I freed myself from your rock prison!"

"But it does," Cloak countered. "You never questioned why it suddenly got easier to wriggle out? Of course not. You allowed yourself to get so bloated on your ego and inflated sense of self-worth that you never once bothered to question just why it suddenly got easier. Never questioned why RAF's defenses were so laughably easy to penetrate. It was because this trap was finished and we needed you come to the party. You are not as clever as you think yourself to be."

Corruption's eyes widened,as he remembered what he thought to be the voice, but he chise to not believe it. "You lie!"

"Why would I lie? Now when you shall be given the fate you deserve?"

"You are going to kill me?"

"Funny how that's the first thing your mind goes to," Cloak said. "No. I won't kill you like your father forced me to do to him."

"You what? You had no right! That was my birthright! I was going to kill him as soon as I proved who the stronger of us was!"

This attitude, surprising, didn't catch Cloak off guard. He had expected theirs to be a dysfunctional relationship. "Doesn't matter, Corruption, he's dead. But you shan't be given such a luxury. You will stand -- or flop, if you prefer -- before the Council. The fact that you survived since ancient times will be confirmed."

"Oh, just kill me. I rather be dead than deal with bureaucracy."

"Oh," said a familiar voice, "I'd be happy to oblige."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:50:03 PM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3616 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:35 AM »
WAIT WHAT

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3617 on: August 28, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Oh, you'll see, imma 'bout to post it.

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Was Wondering When You'd Show Up

"That voice . . ." Corruption said, with dawning realization. "You?"

He was addressing the figure in silhouette, and Cloak frowned. He recognized this person, too. He and Corruption spoke at the same time.

"Who are you?"

"I was wondering when you'd show up, Malice."

Corruption blinked. "Malice? Who is Malice?"

"Aw, I'm hurt, great-who-cares-how-many-times-uncle." Malice said, with obviosuly fake hurt, punctuated by the evil laugh. "You don't recognize your most recent relative?"

"What?"

"No wonder Cataclysm was embarrassed by you," Malice said. "Not very smart."

"You insolant little -- ugh!"

Malice had ran him through with an energy blade like she did with Ab. Cloak was taken by surprise, though he really shouldn't have been.

Malice punctuated this with saying, "And not very quick on the uptake."

Corruption vaporized, leaving only the chains and his cloak behind.

"Well, that was invigorating," Malice said, crassly.

"Why did you do that, Malice?!" Cloak shouted.

"Oh, I couldn't allow you take him to the council," she said, offhand. "That might lead them to asking questions. Questions that I much prefer to leave unasked."

Cloak shrewdly gathered her hidden meaning. "In another words, you don't want them to question your demise. You want them to continue to believe that you're dead."

"Oh, poo. You ruined the surprise," she said, rather flippantly differential.

"We still have the chains," Cloak said to Cerulean. The other RAFian nodded, and was about to speed them, but Malice had pulled a Batman and disappeared while they were talking.

"First Light!" Cloak cursed.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3618 on: August 28, 2014, 05:47:25 AM »
So Corruption knew Malice by a different name?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3619 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
Nope. She was the voice on the wind that urged him to go to the forum. That's the only recognition they had. Why did she herd him to the forum. Well, she wanted to make his death a spectacle.

And now, a couple more book ideas.

• Book CDXX: "Animatronic Animosity" -- The RAFians must play night watchmen to a kiddie-themed restaurant with animatronic characters, that go into "free roam" mode all night.
  • Book CDXXI: "Extreme Ecoterrorism" -- The RAFians must deal with two groups of ecoterrorists with conflicting goals.
  • Book CDXXII: "P.E.T.A. -- Get A Life!" -- The RAFians are subjected to P.E.T.A. harassment for their caging of the Pootang.
  • Book CDXXIII: "Life Or Death" -- The RAFians must stop a madman from gaining the powers of life and death.
  • Book CDXXIV: "RAFology" -- A RAFian-based astrology proved to be too accurate. Deadly accurate.

There. Don't think I rehashed anything. Saffa?

Last chapter of the book.

CHAPTER TWENTY:
Genies Hates Word Crimes

After an incident in the "word chain" thread, which Genies had some misgivings about some of the lesser known RAFians' abysmal spelling and grammar, and after she read pretty much every other YouTube comment, she decided enough was enough.

She called a seminar, where she outline what they were going to do. Of course, it was through song.

"Everybody shut up, WOO!
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey
If you can't spell in the proper way,
If you don't know how to conjugate --
Maybe you flunked that class,
And maybe now you found
That people mock you online!!!!
Okay, now here's the deal.
It's time to educate ya.
Gonna familiarize
You with the nomenclature!
You'll learn the definitions
Of nouns and prepositions.
Literacy's your mission,
And that's why I think it's a
Good time
To learn some grammar.
Now, did I stammer.
Work on that grammar!
You should know when
It's "less" or it's "fewer"!
Like people who were
Never raised in a sewer!
"

"Hey!" Nina, the resident Ninja Turtle, protested. "That's discriminatory!"

But the song continued.

"I hate these word crimes!!
Like 'I could care less'
That means you do care.
At least a little.
Don't be a moron!
You better slow down,
And use the right pronoun.
Show the world you're no clown!
Say you got a "It"
Followed by "apostrophe-s".
Now what does that mean?
You would not use this in this case!
As a possessive.
It's a contraction.
What's a contraction?
Well, it's the shortening of a word, or a group of words by the omission of a sound or letter
Okay, now here's some notes.
Syntax, you're always dangling.
No X in "Espresso".
Your participle's danglin'!
But I don't want your drama,
If you really wanna
Leave out that Oxford comma.
Just keep in mind,
That B, C, R, U
Are words not letters.
Get it together.
Use your spellchecker.
You should never
Write words using numbers.
Unless you're seven.
Or your name is Bieber!
I hate these word crimes!
You really need a
Full time proofreader.
You dumb mouthbrooder*.
Well, you should hire
Some cunning linguist
To help you distinguish
What is proper English.
One thing I ask of you:
Time to learn your homophones is past due.
Learn to diagram a sentence, too.
Always say to whom,
Don't ever say to who.
Yeah, listen up when I tell you this.
I hope you never use quotation marks for emphasis,
If you finished second grade.
I hope you can tell you could tell,
If you're doing good or doing well.
Figure out the difference,
Irony is not coincidence.
And, I thought that you'd gotten it through your skull,
What's figurative and what's literal.
Oh but, just now, you said
You "literally couldn't get out of bed".
That really makes me want to literally
Smack a crowbar upside your stupid head!!
I read your e-mail.
It's quite apparent.
Your grammar's errant.
You're incoherent.
Saw your blog post.
It's really fantastic!
That was sarcastic.
Cause you write too ecstatic.
I hate these Word Crimes!!
Your prose is dopey.
Think you should only
Write in emoji.
Oh, you're a lost cause!
Go back to preschool!
Get out of the Yeerk pool!!
Try your best to not drool.
Never mind, I give up.
Really now. I give up.
Go away!
"**

The seminar was over that suddenly.

Malice milled around her headquarters, a dusty, mold-infested tenement that appeared to be very much not up to code. Mauler stood with his feet apart and parallel to each other with a machine's precision. His hands were folded behind his back just above his butt. He stood like that without batting an eye, without twitching or showing even the minute signs of discomfort. He just stared straight on, never blinking.

It was almost as if he was a Surrogate.

"Even Corruption wasn't enough for his little band of Dwellers," Malice was saying. Mauler did not speak or add in his two cents, as he no longer had cents to add. He had no more will. "No matter. I am never short on a scheme or two."

She caressed several orbs, set next to the device that held Maul's brethren. But Mauler felt nothing towards it, having been stripped of all identity and individuality other than that of which Malice had given to him.

These orbs contained something different. Due to the dark lighting, it was difficult, nigh on impossible to see what they contained. But it certainly looked . . . venomous.

Cloak had elected not to attend Genies seminar. Not because she seemed especially cranky at the moment, but because Cloak needed some time to himself. Some time to come to terms with whwt he did when he was inversed.

Yes, what the others said was true, but his heart would not leave him be. It was heavy with the actions that he nearly committed, the impulses that he nearly acted upon. Had his sister and her dauhter not shown up when they did . . . Cloak didn't even want to think about it.

But it woukd take some time before he coukd forgive himself for this.

* Type of fish.

** Source song. All rights and whatnot to Weird Al.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:55:39 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3620 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:10 AM »
Nope, no rehashes as far as I can see.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3621 on: August 29, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »
New book, new chapter. This one should prove . . . interesting.

BOOK LXXI:
SECOND SKINS

CHAPTER ONE:
Cloaky, Chin Up!

Cloak proved to be a bit moody and surly over the next few days. He was still brooding over the whole Corruption fiasco. His mind kept dwelling on the potential damage he could have inflicted. What if he had set of one of those megastorm things? Or maybe . . . maybe worse . . .

Kelly had noticed this lingering guilt in Cloak, when the others seemed to have gotten over their inversions. When the others seemed to have come to terms with their actions, Cloak still seemed to be taking his actions hard. True, Faith and Shadow stopped him before anything major could have happened, but still . . . what if . . .

Kelly had decided that brooding over it would not help Cloak, as he had been for the last few days. So she sang bracingly to Cloak:

"Chin up, chin up,
Everybody loves a happy face.
Wear it, share it.
It'll brighten up the darkest place.
Twinkle, sparkle.
Let a little sunshine in.
You'll be on the right side
Lookin' on the bright side,
Up with your chinny chin chin!
Chin up, chin up,
Put a little laughter in your eyes.
Brave it, save it.
Even though you're feeling otherwise.
Rise up, wise up,
Let a little smile begin.
You'll be a little hearted
Once you get a smile started.
Up with your chinny chin chin.
Chin down,
You can't help frowning,
Turn 'round,
And you can't help clowning.
Think sad,
Your troubles double.
Think glad,
They burst like bubbles.
Chin up, chin up,
Everytime your spirits wilt.
Chin up, chin up,
Give you spirits an upwards tilt.
Twinkle, sparkle
Let a little fun begin.
You'll be on the right side,
Lookin' on the bright side,
Up with your chinny chin chin up!
"

Despite himself, Cloak gave a small smile.

"There you go!" Kelly encouraged. "Chin up!"

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3622 on: August 29, 2014, 06:17:39 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TWO:
Malice's Morphsuits

Malice fawned over the nine orbs, which could be seen clearer. They contained what appeared to be a oozy, oily, lycra-like material. They were all different solid colors. They were blood red, iridescent orange, pale yellow, emerald green, sapphire blue, royal purple, a frilly sort of pink, black, and white. It wasn't very clear what they were.

"Ah," Malice said, in a prelude to a monologue. "Symbiotes. I like to see them handle these dearies. Able to bond to organic lifeform as wearable suit, though these will not see to assimilate with their hosts, but dominate them as would a Yeerk or Go'ald. Although, I expect they would take on the personality quirks and what not of the host anyway, but that shouldn't prove to be too detrimental, if at all. These symbiotes can also block the entirety of their hosts minds, not just part of them like lesser symbiotes. When bonded with a host, they get superhuman strength, superhuman speed, superhuman endurance, superhuman agility, a healing factor of sorts, and heightened intelligence, though far below that of any Realm Walker. And they enhance any other natural ability that their host may possess. They can shapeshift into anything they desire, provided they have a host."

Malice appraised the symbiotes, which she had modified in her makeshift lab. She either didn't know or didn't care that these symbiotes were essentially an endangered species. She watched with professional interest as the symbiotes writhed around inside their orbs. She took pleasure in these rather abhorrent creatures, these parasites.

"And, best of all, they all will be undyingly devoted and loyal to me." Malice said. Then she considered for a bit. "That Mark of theirs probably will prevent these symbiotes from taking them over. But no matter, no matter. I can work around that."

Malice stood with her hand on her chin, thinking. Considering.

"These symbiotes will be the perfect crew of minions," Malice said, thoughtfully, "I just need to get them the proper hosts. The hosts may be killed in the process, but who really cares about stupid nameless Dwellers?"

She smirked, as if the idea of death by symbiote amused her in an inordinately vast amount.

"Each one," she said, fawning over them, "needs just the perfect host. Each one has different talents, and needs the right host to bring them out. . . ."

She smiled dotingly, before saying, "Mauler! We're moving out!"

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3623 on: August 29, 2014, 07:37:13 AM »
PDF of the last book. That was a cracker. :D

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3624 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
Okay . . . I not familiar with that term as you used in context, but I do happen to be a tad sleepy right now.

New chapter. Fair warning. The first part will be fairly brutal and dark.

CHAPTER THREE:
Hosting Services

A very angry man was in a secluded location. He had a woman there with hik, and she didn't appear to be there of her own free will. There was a certainly dark way about the situation.

"You owe me. I gave you a ride."

"No, please . . ."

"Shut up! And come here . . ."

Fortunately, whatever this serial -- uh, you know -- was stopped, when what appeared to be blood red whirling fabric began wrapping around his legs and then up his body. The woman tried to escape, but once the costume was fully on,  one backhand from him killed her in the most brutal way imaginable. But the man didn't do it intentionally, his screams were that of pure terror.

The man looked fairly like a blood red Venom, but with dark green markings similar to the.Red Lantern symbol in spidery lines. He was ridiculously, cartoonishly muscled on his upper body to ludicrous proportions, while his lower body was more or less the same size but muscular. He had the "Spider-Man eye" markings as well a large, butcher knife-like, emerald fangs lining his ample mouth. He also had two tendrils on his head look like bull horns.

This new creature laughed, the man within no longer in control, his mind in a place of semi-limbo, with some fleeting moments of lucidity. "I am . . . I am . . . I AM WARPATH!!"

"Very well," Malice had said. "Go. Have fun. Cause chaos."

Then Malice came upon a man who had constant gambling problems, as well a drug addiction and a chronic identity thief. He was very much consumed by greed and avarice, and miserable for it. He was living in a rat-infested tenement, which he could barely afford even with his thievery.

He soon found himself wrapped up in the bright orange symbiote. He looked vaguely Venom, but with a serpentine tail instead of legs. His fingertips ended in claws and Larfleeze's insigna appeared in his chest as a pale blue, spidery marking. He had the eyes of Spider-Man, as well as two long, sapphire-blue fangs with smaller fangs of the same color.

He found that he could shapeshift, not just his clothing but his identity. He could imitate people much larger than himself and those younger. But only those that he stole the identities from,which means in order to shapeshift more people, he would have to steal more identities.. But the thief was no more in control that Warpath's host was, and no more lucid.

"Call me," this new being said with a slight his to his voice, like the Serpentine from "Ninjago", "call me Horder."

"Excellent," Malice said. "Go now. Go and take. And take, take, take, take, take."

Continuing her search for more host for her symbiotes, she witnessed a town thug, a neighborhood bully, terrorizing the residency of the block. He really thought that he was tough and the best of the best, when in reality, even Rotiart would laugh at him. Like many of the bullying pedigree, he wasn't particularly wise, intelligent, or tactful. He made the mistake, like many if not all bullies do, of believing that you can just muscle your way through life and people would just roll over and let you. He was a coward at heart.

He recieved a shock to discover the pale yellow symbiote wrapping itself around him. He attempted to pull it off of him, but that just made it envelope him even faster. He tried more fervently, terrified for once, and the symbiote wrapped around him more fervently until he was fully enclosed.

Unlike the previous two, this punk teenager had virtually no bouts of lucidity. He never paid any attention to developing his mind. He always relied on his muscles and forceful personality. He was essentially dead while bonded with this symbiote.

The creature looked like if Venom had bonded with a Genonosian, only pale yellow with the Sinestro Corps insigna in deep purple and spidery art on his chest. It possessed the same "Spider-Man eyes" that the others did, and deep purple fangs.

"I am the bump in the night," the creature said. "I am Nameless."

"Nameless? You sure you want to go with that?" Malice said.

"Yes, why?"

"Oh, I thouht you'd want a name of a little more substance." Malice said, airily. "But, no matter, go on then. Instill fear into others."

Malice and Mauler spied a police officer, one of which wasn't like the previous three symbiote hosts found. This police officer was noble of heart, pure of spirit, and a RAF-supporter, though not being in it himself. Malice did not have any misgivings, as she prodded the green symbiote to overtake the willful officer.

Despite the officer's fight and resistance, he is overtaken relatively quickly. He looks relatively like the standard Venom hosted symbiote, on its chest emerald green with ruby red markings similar to the Green Lantern insigna. It also had wrist mounted blades, ruby red fangs, and a monk fish-like appendage that ends in a lantern-like lure.

"I am Lethal Force!" the creature declared.

"Huh. Was expecting a single-word name," Malice said. "Now, overpower others. Enforce your will over theirs."

Then Malice and Mauler watch the vitriolic sermons of a particularly hateful preacher. Nearly all, if not all, of his congregation were close-minded, like-minded, narrow-minded extremists like himself. Malice did not listen to the man's venomous words, but she could tell he sounded hopeful in his ambition to keep homophobia, xenophobia, and other such vile things would be the norm of the future. It was all very disgusting. But what was more abominable was the deafening "amens" he recieved from the people assembled.

So, naturally, he became the host for the blue symbiote. He resembled Elemental Hero Avian only solid sapphire blue, a Venom-like head with bright orange fangs, and spidery, bright orange markings similar to the insigna of the Blue Lanterns.

"I am . . . I am . . . Hopeslayer."

"Oh! How deliously evil!" Malice said, with approval. "Go then! Go and slay that hope!"

From there, it went rather quickly.

The indigo one took over a C-list celebrity who was embittered at this fact. It looked like the standard Venom body type, only indigo, with cephalopod tentacle "hair", big "Spider-Man eyes", dirty yellow fangs, and the Indigo Tribe insigna in electric yellow, spidery lines. She became "Brutality".

The pink one took over a playboy stud whose handsome features were cosmetic only, as it was only a metaphorical mask for the repulsive man that laid beneath such a pretty exterior. He had been known to break hearts brutally and indifferently at the slightest whim. When he was overtaken by the symbiote, he becomes a standard pink Venom -- had the symbiote bonded with Killer Croc. It was pink with the Star Sapphire sigil upon its chest in brown, spidery design. It possessed brown fangs and a tailless saurian physique. It called itself "Heartbreaker".

The black one bonds with the body of a suicidal gravedigger. It appears to be the standard Venom form only with a symbiote-generated grim reaper robe, white fangs, and the Black Lantern insigna in white, spidery form. It is called "Gravesupplier".

Finally, the last one, the chalk white one, bonded with body of a neonatal doctor fired for malpractice. This caused the good doctor to become quite embittered with the whole business. As a costumed symbiote, he is essentially the pallet swap of Venom. It calls itself "Misery".

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3625 on: August 29, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
Considering Malice's attitude towards death, you would expect the book to be pretty dark.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3626 on: August 30, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
Touche.

Oh! This thread's been read 55,555 times! Wow!

New book ideas, along with a trilogy arc, which I hope can be good.

• Book CDXXV: "The Unstoppable Exodias" -- The RAFians and the Earth are targeted by the Exodia Warlords and the Exodia Armada. A RAFian is believed to be slain during the conflict.
  • Book CDXXVI: "Search for [censored]" -- The RAFians must travel to Avalon Island to see if they can recover a lost RAFian.
  • Book CDXXVII: "It's Not Over" -- The Exodia Warlords survive, and thirst to kill the RAFians and Earth.

And that's the Exodia Trilogy. Now, the latest book idea I had.

• Book CDXXVIII: "Escaped Face" -- The RAFians must deal with a face that escaped Koh and garnered sentience of its own.

There. Don't think I rehashed anything. Saffa?

New chapter. Tad short.

CHAPTER FOUR:
This Cannot Be Good

A sliver of a shiver traveled its way up and down Cloak's spine. Something was happening, something malevolent. But it wasn't too nearby, but it had a heady magnitude to it. Cloak looked around, unsure. Unsure of the source of this unpleasant feeling.

But he was not alone in it. Cornson, Bladeh, Fubar and the other feline RAFians had felt it as well. But none could tell what it was. That was the thing about this sensing evil bit. It was far more vague than the Spider Sense, and not as reliable.

They hadn't any hardcore facts with which to back it up, other than this sense of evil in the air that was imperceptible to the non-feline sort. With no concrete proof, they cannot just call for the assemby of all RAFians. Cloak didn't like it, but the sense would not go away, not until the source of its agitation was made known.

"Um, guys?" Gaz said, as she happened to be passing by. She was looking at her phone -- it was one of those smartphone things that Cloak never quite understood the fascination that people had with it. "Tell me you see what I see."

She showed them a news report. It showed video of Lethal Force attacking people as forcefully as his name implied. Then it segued Nameless terrorizing people, followed by stills of the rest of them. Cloak was shocked at the sight.

"Those look like . . ." Cloak began, pondering.

"Do you think it's true?" she said. "It was said that Fox broke the news, and we all know just how impartial Fox News can be."

"This can't be happening," Cloak said quietly, turning away from the screen. "It can't."

"I know it's hard to look at," FuBar said, "but the fact of the matter is that --"

"You know what those things are," Gaz interrupted with a flash of insight. "You do, don't you?"

"Rally the other RAFians," Cloak said, deflecting her question. "I'm calling a for forum-wide meeting, an assembly."

"What?"

"You heard me!" Cloak said, "We have a very serious problem here."

"Well, yeah, nine serial killers in costumes, but--" Bladeh began.

"They're not costumes." Cloak said, as he swept away. He added enigmatically, "Not in the usual sense, anyway."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:57:43 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3627 on: August 30, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
And that very nice number got ruined. :P

Trilogy sounds deadly nice. Can't wait!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3628 on: August 30, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Thanks. Whoo. Sorry about the delay, started reading "Richard's Horn" and got sucked into the narrative again. Certainly gonna be the next book I read in class after the Dementor one.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FIVE:
The Lowdown

"Symbiotes," Cloak prefaced his monologue lecture. "That's what we're up against."

"You mean parasites, right?" Saffa asked.

"In a way, they're parasites, but not quite," Cloak elaborated. "The species name is symbiotes. Symbiotes are typically an unfeeling, conquering race. They take over any species they came in contact with, by enveloping them like a lethifold or a shapestealer, to feed off their emotions, though this mainly involved adrenaline rushes from death-defying feats and, as a consequence, the hosts tend to be short-lived."

"Feed off emotions?" Underseen asked in a small voice.

Cloak acknowledged this with a nod. "Yes, Underseen. Not too unlike . . . him. Van Pyrrhus."

Silence greeted these words for a moment. Everyone still remembered the emotion vampire. He had a way of leaving a lasting impression in them all.

"Now," Cloak said, deliberately breaking the silence, "symbiotes empower the natural abilities of their host to the point where they far exceed that of normal members of the hosts' species. These abilities can include the following: superhuman strength, superhuman speed, superhuman endurance, superhuman agility, a healing factor, and increased intelligence, as well as enhancing other natural attributes; a genetic memory, recalling information from all its previous hosts; able to negate damage caused by terminal illnesses and/or permanent injuries, while not actually healing them, as a way of forcing the host to rely on the symbiote; able to expand to any size as long as they have something to grow on, such as a host or an object; like Yeerks, they are able to react to the thoughts and will of the host.

"They are also able to block part of the host's mind, to form fangs or simple bladed weapons out of their limbs, to form tendrils from their body, to project the surface of the symbiote itself to attack from a distance, to shapeshift (from mimicking clothing up to and including total change of the host's appearance, regardless to the host's actual stature and bodily dimensions -- I've never figured out why or how). They are also able to produce toxins and venoms. They can sense the presence of other beings within a certain distance (something else I've never figured out the why or how to). They are able to create storage portals inside of them (think hammerspace)."

"How do you know so much about them?" Saffa said. "Are you just reading from the database? Or Wikipedia?"

"He is!" Shadow tattled teasingly. "He's reading from Wikipedia!"

"Never mind that," Cloak said, deflecting the question, "there is one principal weakness I've found."

"Chemicals?" Yarin guessed.

"Kill them with fire?" Demos said, with a hopeful lilt.

"Why are you looking at me, Cloak?" Sakki asked.

"Sonics." Cloak said.

"Isn't it a little late for lunch?" Abby asked.

"No, no, no! Sonics! Sound waves of the right frequency!" Cloak said. "Sakki is a master of that. So, you, Sakki, will be instrumental in their defeat."

A beat of silence.

"But no pressure or anything." Cloak added.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3629 on: August 31, 2014, 02:46:58 AM »
*imagines Cloak delivering all of this Nick Fury style*