Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 589837 times)

guitarhero01234

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #6570 on: July 10, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
. . . Waste 'im

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #6571 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, GH.

New chapter.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Diplomacy Flounders . . .

Cloak could have felt aggrieved at the "lesser being" jibe and the pejorative manner in which it was delivered. He could have felt all that, he could have felt anger. He was inwardly surprised that he felt nothing of the sort. He just felt a sort of apathy towards the insult. It was inconsequential in its insignificance.

He gazed at GH, whose eyes still burned with anger at the Brainiac's insult of his music. The Realm Walker knew why he would react with anger towards people who insulted music -- that's what his entire power set was based around. Music. It was part of his identity -- but there were times, Cloak had to admit, where he feared that GH might have felt that it was his entire identity, when that was categorically not true. Still, his anger and rage was understandable, if ill-timed. But if he wasn't careful, a Red Lantern ring might decide to claim him if it was in the area. And that would just compound their problem.

In contrast, Cloak was feeling a clarity he found unusual. But he decided not to dwell on it, just like he chose not to dwell upon those jumbled up images from his dream -- or the "Truth Dreamer" aspect of it. Priorities and all.

"Coluan," Cloak said, affecting a rather magnanimous manner and tone, "we've come to talk. Just to talk."

Cloak had chosen not to address him by his elected name to show that he wouldn't be calling the shots in this . . . meeting. Granted, he failed to take into account that the Coluan might interpret this as disrespectful. Cloak did not know just how petty this guy could be.

"Do not address me," the Brainiac said, dismissively. He kept his eye on the window which had a full view of Earth. He sat their, looking at it, and considering.

"You have violated Earthen space," Cloak continued, undeterred and unafraid. Saffa and Abby were too busy restraining GH from doing something he would assuredly regret later on. Aquilai and Spectre were watching on rather stoically. The framing of their arguments fell to him, though he thought this might be more Saffa's area of expertise, what with her debate experience. "We have come to ask you vacate it."

"You do not issue me orders," the Brainiac said, dismissively. "And I have already deemed you not sufficiently worthy to gaze upon my personage, let alone marvel at my genius. You came unwanted, uninvited, and unbidden. You are intruders here. And, now, you are dismissed. Leave immediately."

Cloak had to chose his words very carefully. He had no idea how volatile this Coluan cyborg -- yes, he could sense the metal within him. He was more metal than man . . . which caused Cloak to remember that borg incident some time ago. He rather not have recalled that bitter memory.

"As so we shall," Cloak said, graciously, "once you vacate Earthen space."

Cloak realized this was rather selfish framing, and he noticed that Aquilai had gone from the room. Cloak only had a vague idea what he was up to, but the Coluan did not seem aware that the Time Lord was no longer in his presence.

"You do not set the terms here, inferior specimen," came the Brainiac's monotone reply. It was amazing how devoid of emotion any voice could be. Although there was a slight electronic hum in his voice whenever he spoke. "You have no leverage here. You are at no advantage. I know everything that happens on or inside this ship. Ambush is a statistical impossibility. I am omnipotent, soon to be all knowing."

"You have a rather high opinion of yourself," Spectre said, quietly.

"You six do not pose a threat to me," he went on, almost bored with the whole ordeal. "And this planet would not pose a threat, either. It may very well not be worth the effort . . ."

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6572 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
. . . Diplomacy Dies

Cloak really did not care for the vagueness in the mad Coluan's emotionless words. He was well aware of just what he was considering, and he absolutely could not allow him to destroy the world. The diplomacy was floundering.

"But, that is of no concern to you," the Brainiac said, as if perceptive to what Cloak was thinking. "I will decide whether this rock is worthwhile, you and your primate masters will take your leave from my ship now."

"As I've told you," Cloak said, "we will not leave until you vacate Earthen -- or Terran, if you prefer -- space."

"I've told you that you do not issue me orders, primitive," he said, in a mildly contemptuous manner, intermixed with indifference. "I've also issued you an order leave. How low is your comprehension level? Does your kind even think? When a superior mind tells you to do something, you ought comply immediately. Especially when you have come into my abode unwanted and uninvited."

"If you want to compromise, we'll be willing to oblige," Cloak said, trying with obvious futility to maintain pleasant recourse. "But we will not be pushed around by someone whose a little to big for their britches."

The last six words came out with a subtle harshness that was not lost on the Brainiac. So much so that the Brainiac actually deigned to gave Cloak even the slightest of glances.

"You're out of your depth, you insignificant cur," the Coluan said. Despite the tone, there was no actual anger behind the words. The Coluan had done away with those a long time ago. "You have no idea the power to which you speak so foolishly to, the force who you have so unwisely impugned. You are oblivious that you're talking to one out of your league."

"Why are they trading idioms?" Saffa wondered quietly.

"Funny," Cloak said, addressing the mad Coluan, "I was going to say the same to you."

This caused the Brainiac to actually turn and not only look at Cloak, but glare at him with those soulless, blue eyes. Possibly cybernetic as well. Cloak did not quell in fear as Brainiac thought he would, that he should.

"My patience for this has waned considerably," he said, in a tone that sounded dangerous and menacing, but at the same time devoid of any emotional imput, despite his word choice making him sound angry. "This whole endeavor has served no other purpose but to stimulate my normally dormant bellicosity into dominance. But I am a fair god --"

Cloak could help himself. He snorted at the proclamation of this Coluan calling himself a god, finding it patiently ridiculous. It was at this point all of the RAFians present knew that Plan A, diplomacy, had failed, and failed spectacularly. None really thought that it would have succeeded anyway.

"-- And I will allow you one more chance," the Brainiac said, as if he was not interrupted. "Leave this place, and leave my presence, and I shall allow you to live. For the time being."

"And of the Earth?" Spectre said, voice deep with suspicion.

"That will be for me to decide," Justhe replied.

"The Veil it will," Cloak said, his body generating slight, subtle auras of first scarlet, which faded into gold which darkened into scarlet again. It was a very aurora-like effect. This demonstrated his controlled anger, his controlled emotions. "You do not have the authority, or the right, to make such a decision."

"My position and my disposition makes me more than a sufficient authority for --" Brainiac said, before Cloak interrupted him.

"No, it doesn't, you arrogant sack of tissue and metal," Cloak said, his pugnacity peaking.

"Watch your tone, inferior --"

"And, for the love of the First Light, STOP SAYING THAT!" Cloak said. He had really had enough of this pompous twit.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6573 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
Curiosity Has Its Risks

"You dare speak to me in such a way?" the Brainiac said, in a reasonable imitation of anger -- but still reeked of passive indifference to make it sound very odd in tone infliction. "You invade my ship, and befoul it with your very presence -- you, beings not fit enough to lick my boots -- and you have the audacity . . . the temerity . . . the unmitigated rashness . . . the foolhardiness . . . the recklessness . . . the foolish brashness . . . the utter impudence . . ."

"He has a point, right?" Abby asked. "And not just going to throw a verbal thesaurus at us, right?"

Justhe Phax glared at her, that she had the effrontery to criticize him, the great and powerful god he imagined himself to be. He had entire worlds -- WORLDS -- grovel at his feet. He had entire governments -- panocracies, heterocracies, pendantocracies, boobocracies, pigmentocracies, hierocracies, plantocracies, androcracies, punditocracies, ideocracies, quangocracies, bureaucracies, securocracies, idiocracies, sociocracies, theocracies, synocracies, ineptocracies, technocracies, corporatocracies, thalassocracies, infantocracies, timocracies, acracies, infocracies, cryptocracies, isocracies, plutocracies, juntocracies, ecclesiocracies, kakistocracies, democracies, kleptocracies, ergatocracies, kratocracies, autocracies, logocracies, ethnocracies, mediacracies, oligarchies, meritocracies, geniocracies, mobocracies, aristocracies, narcocracies, gerontocracies, narcokleptocracies, adhocracies, necrocracies , gynecocracies, neocracies, atheocracies, nomocracies, hagiocracies, noocracies (taking particular pleasure in these governments), and more -- all knelt before him and begged for mercy. Governments far more powerful than anything this pitiful planet offered. He had never obliged them this mercy, which was a foreign concept to him, a concept which he did not abide by or bothered to understand why anyone else would. It's why his conquest had netted him just over eight hundred worlds.

And these six beings, so presumptuous with their expectations, so complacent in their worth, so self-possessed of their inherent importance come here -- violate his privacy and his inner sanctum with poor attempts at diplomacy (which would have never worked to begin with, he had to admit), then saw fit to insult him and antagonize him when he had already dismissed them. Twice, no less!

Such utter disobedience from one who's their superior in every conceivable way! These fools, these RAFians, must know when they are so clearly outmatched! They clearly overestimate their ability and allowed that make them grow frustratingly ****y. Did they truly think that denizens of his conquered planets never tried diplomacy? That they never tried the wearily tiresome heroics? In over eight hundred worlds that now solely existed in his collection of the knowledge he absconded with from them? They truly thought, in all their infernal hubris, that they even stood a chance against him? They saw the pinnacle of technology his ship boasted, and, yet, they still challenge him. Fools. Fools, the lot of them.

It looks like he would have to humble them. Humble them and then destroy their beloved planet on principle. He would drain their databases of all knowledge that these underdeveloped primates and their pet managed to procure and accumulate in their filthy, backwater planet. He would then find out how someone as powerful as Galactron would come out into what amounted to the space sticks just for a speck of dirt and water that happened to have life on it. There were better planets to satiate its hunger, planets that were more worthy. Planets that were not as useless as this one.

The mad Coluan was still unsure of whether this was worth his precious time and expenditure of energy. Even he was having difficulties justifying it to himself. But he was consumed with curiosity. Why was Galactron so interested in this place? What happened to it here? There was no way that it could have been destroyed. Not here, of all places. That was just too absurd. But then . . . why?? He must know!

He must know!! He doubted that these fools, these RAFians, would comply with his demands. They have thus far proven to be quite uncooperative with his orders. Orders from a superior being! He was closer to omniscience than anything in their ludicrous mythologies. But that wasn't enough to give them the information that he MUST know!! That he just had to know!!

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6574 on: July 12, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Pushback

The Brainiac easily freed himself from the black mass that was eerily reminiscent of the Technarchy, in Cloak's mind. He pushed that way as he looked at the Coluan, and, even now, he was part machine. If Cloak had to hazard a guess, he would have guessed that he was at least 79 percent machine, 21 percent organic. But he still looked like a normal Coluan in a gray, form-fitting suit with form-fitting gray gloves and a high metallic collar, that made it look as if he had no neck. He also had epaulets that looked much like the metal epaulet things that Transmetal Tarantulas. The only flesh you could still see was his face and his inhumanly blue eyes.

"I gave you a direct order to leave this place," he said. He would have to deign to beat these unintelligent peons, these insubstantial threats, these frustrating obstacles, these petty little distractions. "Not once, not twice, but now three consecutive times. You refuse to accept and take my kindness. So, now you force my hand to act. I must show you how grave a decision you made."

Cloak looked at him, feeling thoroughly unimpressed, but silent. Let the Coluan bluster all he wants, let him throw out more and more meaningless, denunciatory diatribes. To the Realm Walker, such things were unimportant and negligible in the grand scheme thing of things.

"You have no idea the power with which you're dealing," Justhe said.

Cloak couldn't help himself, and replied, "Neither do you."

"Stop your officious bombast," the mad Coluan said, with deliberate disgust, "your fustian rhetoric will not save you, your ostentatious grandiloquence will not serve you in any sufficient advantageous manner."

"You know," Cloak said, though he knew he probably should have said nothing at all, "just using big words doesn't make you smart. Overuse of such things often demonstrate an insecurity of one's intelligence, not a heightened vernacular. Not to mention, it makes you come off as pretentious and arrogant."

"I possess a Twelfth-Level Intellect, dullard," the Brainiac said, again, with a reasonable imitation of anger. "My intelligence is without peer."

"'Twelfth-Level Intellect'," Cloak repeated, coolly, "that might be impressive, Coluan -- if I wasn't sure that you made that up just to sound more impressive."

"You . . ." Cloak was sure that he detected some legitimate anger in his tone now.

"Cloak," Saffa piped up. "Why are you antagonizing him?"

The Master of the Six Elements ignored her. He had his reasoning, and he didn't want to tip his hat too soon. He believed he found a nerve within the Coluan, who, despite claiming to have intellect without peer, seemed oblivious to Cloak's discovery. All because he allowed the Brainiac to monologue a bit. He glanced at Saffa whose eyes widened as she glanced at Abby. They both seemed to come to the same conclusion as Cloak.

GH was too busy glowering at the mad Coluan . . . until fire in his eyes were replaced with a spark of mischief so quickly that it was alarming. Even the two girls had released him.

"You cannot beat me," the Brainiac said, reverting to his emotionless state. "No one can. No one ever has. I'm unbeatable."

"Just because you haven't been beaten yet," Saffa pointed out, "doesn't mean that it is an impossibility."

"SILENCE!!" Justhe roared, demonstrating legitimate rage. He had clearly evolved beyond emotions, he just was too successful at repressing them.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6575 on: July 13, 2017, 05:56:47 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
He's a Stupid Man, After All

GH unshouldered his guitar and began to strum.

"Oh, please," the mad Coluan scoffed acidly, "only the weak and emotional are swayed by the meaningless noise you call music."

GH exercised a fair modicum of self-control at the declaration. He didn't want to break a string in his anger. He strummed a bit more, before playing in earnest. Cloak and the others watched on, wondering what GH was planning.

He sang:

"He's a stupid man, after all.
He's a stupid man, after all.
He's a stupid, stupid man!
"

"Stop it . . ." Justhe warned, as Cloak suppressed a smile. GH had picked up on the Coluan's weakness -- his insecurity of his intelligence. That is, being outsmarted by those he considered intellectually inferior, and being deemed stupid.

"

"Stop it!" Justhe demanded. He couldn't suppress his genuine anger now. He was not stupid. They were. They all were. His intelligence had no peer! It had no peer!

"

"That's it, stopping it myself," he replied, his epaulets traveling down his arms until they encompassed his fists. Then he slammed his fists together, uniting and combining the epaulets into the barrel of a cannon. Energy gathered in this barrel and it was lime green in color. He was going to fire a concussive blast at GH for daring to insult him.

There was powerful whooshing sound as he fired the powerful beam, only to be surprised when the primitive primates pet had seemingly absorbed the blast via the index and middle finger on his right hand. Then after what appeared to be a moment's hesitation, he fired the lime green beam back at him! Only the return fire was intermixed with scarlet and gold energy, making it more powerful.

It was easily strong enough to knock the mad Coluan off his feet and some distance away. With enough force to cause his epaulets to disengage and retreat back to his shoulders. He was baffled and perplexed. In all of the planets he stole the knowledge from and absconded with as he destroyed the planet, not ever has one managed to redirect his epaulet cannon blasts back at him. Not even the Petrosapiens! . . . Although he never had them on his ship and he didn't show them mercy -- something he saw that he never should have offered this planet.

But, instead of just siphoning off all the knowledge from their internet and computer systems -- laughably primitive by his high standards -- and destroy the Earth without a second thought, he was prone to indulge in his biggest weakness.

Righting himself, as he gets up, he demanded, trying to hide how much damage he actually took, "Wh-what are you?"

SOURCE SONG: https://youtube.com/watch?v=CbIhYhrOJAg

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6576 on: July 13, 2017, 11:40:40 PM »
Whoo!  I've finally caught up!  :D  Oh man I have so much to say.

First off.  Approximately forever ago, I started a re-read of this series (which is probably why I ended up getting more than a year behind on reading this in the first place, oops).  And I noticed something.  I was thinking about possible new names for Abomination (it still saddens me that he must always be called "the Realm Walker once known as Abomination," even in death), and I noticed that he had actually suggested three names for himself: Doomsday, Armageddon, and Ragnarok.  I looked up derivatives of those words to see if some play on one of them would fit (I tend to believe that people should be free to decide their own identities, so I wanted to let "Ab" choose his own name, if at all possible).  In the process, I happened to find out that the word "Ragnarok" actually means something like "the fall of the gods" (also possibly translated as "death of the gods," "twilight of the gods," or "the final fate of the gods," but however you translate it, "bad stuff happens to gods" seems to be the jist).  Which actually fits Ab's character just about perfectly, in my opinion.  Malice was a "god" to Ab.  He worshiped her, obeyed her every command, thought she could do no wrong, as one would think of a god.  But then she "fell" from godhood, in his eyes, when he realized that she didn't deserve his worship.  And it was when Malice's "fall from godhood" occurred, that was the moment when Ab became something other than Abomination.  Hence, Ragnarok.  *shrugs*  It's still your story, obviously, and you are more than welcome to tell me I'm grasping at straws here.  It's entirely possible that I am.  But I've been thinking of him as Ragnarok and I rather like the sound of it, given its meaning.

Second, the re-read has also given me an appreciation for just how much you've grown as a writer, and continue to grow.  You were always a good writer, from the beginning.  But, somehow, you've continued to improve upon those solid foundations with each and every story.  You jokingly mentioned that I won't be able to read year . . . that number.  The slightly-cruel joke you've played on me, though, is that I know by then I will be absolutely powerless NOT to read it.  I cannot possibly even imagine what your writing will look like, so far in the future.  I'm actually . . . looking forward to . . . that year?  Wait, that can't be right.

Third, I'm completely fond of how much Leatherhead has developed as a character, despite the fact that I generally don't even like children much.  I actually have a Totodile as my 'buddy' on Pokemon Go right now, and every time I look at him I think that he's LH for a second (I picture LH as somewhat Totodile-ish, being both crocodilian and adorable).  I would never want to tell you what to do in any of your stories, of course, but, well, I feel like it bears mentioning that, genetically speaking, I am LH's closest RAFian relative.  We are both archosaurs, AKA "ruling reptiles" (as are birds, weirdly enough, which is why I say that I am LH's closest relative and not the other way around, as I'm actually slightly genetically closer to, say, Raevyn).  I dunno, I was just picturing some little scene someday where I might teach LH how to hunt or roar or just generally be a proper archosaur, when he gets old enough, of course.  Assuming that gh would be okay with me assuming that much of a role in the rearing of his son.  *shrugs*  It's just something to consider if you're ever short on plot ideas . . . *looks at list of future books* . . . I'll shut up now.  :P

Fourth, I absolutely loved my origin story!  :D  It was a stroke of genius that you managed not to give away my pre-nothlit species by giving me Sario-rip-induced memory loss.  To think, this was the book you were writing when . . . I don't know if it's still too soon to say it.  I tend to have trouble talking about such things.  But the fact that you were able to cope with so much grief while still writing a beautiful story, a story filled with darkness, but also with hope . . . that speaks volumes about your inner strength as a person.  You have a brilliant light inside you, and no matter how much darkness ever surrounds you, your light will always shine through.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:13:08 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6577 on: July 14, 2017, 04:23:22 AM »
First off.  Approximately forever ago, I started a re-read of this series (which is probably why I ended up getting more than a year behind on reading this in the first place, oops).  And I noticed something.  I was thinking about possible new names for Abomination (it still saddens me that he must always be called "the Realm Walker once known as Abomination," even in death), and I noticed that he had actually suggested three names for himself: Doomsday, Armageddon, and Ragnarok.  I looked up derivatives of those words to see if some play on one of them would fit (I tend to believe that people should be free to decide their own identities, so I wanted to let "Ab" choose his own name, if at all possible).  In the process, I happened to find out that the word "Ragnarok" actually means something like "the fall of the gods" (also possibly translated as "death of the gods," "twilight of the gods," or "the final fate of the gods," but however you translate it, "bad stuff happens to gods" seems to be the jist).  Which actually fits Ab's character just about perfectly, in my opinion.  Malice was a "god" to Ab.  He worshiped her, obeyed her every command, thought she could do no wrong, as one would think of a god.  But then she "fell" from godhood, in his eyes, when he realized that she didn't deserve his worship.  And it was when Malice's "fall from godhood" occurred, that was the moment when Ab became something other than Abomination.  Hence, Ragnarok.  *shrugs*  It's still your story, obviously, and you are more than welcome to tell me I'm grasping at straws here.  It's entirely possible that I am.  But I've been thinking of him as Ragnarok and I rather like the sound of it, given its meaning.

Yeah, I understand your point, but thing is Realm Walkers don't always get to choose their names. Sometimes, whether they like it or not, it is given to them. It is up to them if they want to defy the expectations associated with the name or revel in them. Kind of like we don't always choose what happens to us, but, like Rafiki said, we can run from it, or learn from it. Ab eventually chose the latter before he was murdered by Malice. And unlike Rotiart (yes, this is a spoiler to anyone who just skipped to this book without reading Book #150, or, if your prefer, Book CL), Ab will not be back. His death was legitimate.

Second, the re-read has also given me an appreciation for just how much you've grown as a writer, and continue to grow.  You were always a good writer, from the beginning.  But, somehow, you've continued to improve upon those solid foundations with each and every story.  You jokingly mentioned that I won't be able to read year . . . that number.  The slightly-cruel joke you've played on me, though, is that I know by then I will be absolutely powerless NOT to read it.  I cannot possibly even imagine what your writing will look like, so far in the future.  I'm actually . . . looking forward to . . . that year?  Wait, that can't be right.

Which was probably cruel of me to decide to, at one point, end it in Year . . . Year XIII (does that make it better?). Oh, and don't look at your post count. ;)

Third, I'm completely fond of how much Leatherhead has developed as a character, despite the fact that I generally don't even like children much.  I actually have a Totodile as my 'buddy' on Pokemon Go right now, and every time I look at him I think that he's LH for a second (I picture LH as somewhat Totodile-ish, being both crocodilian and adorable).  I would never want to tell you what to do in any of your stories, of course, but, well, I feel like it bears mentioning that, genetically speaking, I am LH's closest RAFian relative.  We are both archosaurs, AKA "ruling reptiles" (as are birds, weirdly enough, which is why I say that I am LH's closest relative and not the other way around, as I'm actually slightly genetically closer to, say, Raevyn).  I dunno, I was just picturing some little scene someday where I might teach LH how to hunt or roar or just generally be a proper archosaur, when he gets old enough, of course.  Assuming that gh would be okay with me assuming that much of a role in the rearing of his son.  *shrugs*  It's just something to consider if you're ever short on plot ideas . . . *looks at list of future books* . . . I'll shut up now.  :P

Well, you are a mother figure to him already. GH is his adopted father, and you're a mother figure. And not bad for a character made up on the fly upon sudden inspiration and named after a TMNT character, eh?

Fourth, I absolutely loved my origin story!  :D  It was a stroke of genius that you managed not to give away my pre-nothlit species by giving me Sario-rip-induced memory loss.  To think, this was the book you were writing when . . . I don't know if it's still too soon to say it.  I tend to have trouble talking about such things.  But the fact that you were able to cope with so much grief while still writing a beautiful story, a story filled with darkness, but also with hope . . . that speaks volumes about your inner strength as a person.  You have a brilliant light inside you, and no matter how much darkness ever surrounds you, your light will always shine through.

Thank you. If memory serves, that book changed very little from my outline. Which is actually something quite rare in and of itself. As a lot of books nowadays in Memoirs deviate from the outline a lot. Mostly due to new inspiration -- kinda like how Leatherhead came to be. (If you just read my outlines he doesn't appear until much later, after I wrote his introductory book, his existence as a "son of Sobek" was actually inspired by a Percy Jackson/Carter Kane crossover book by Rick Riordan called, well, "Son of Sobek". Originally, he was just gonna be a one off character than Saffa, I think, called him cute . . . that's what got the wheels turning and now we have the six-year-old Leatherhead. ;)

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
Tell Me! Tell Me!

"Wh-what are you?"

Cloak could have gone full Goku and said, "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things who cry out for peace. I am proctector of the innocent. I am the liht in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" or some other clichéd heroic speech. But that would be giving the Brainiac precisely what he wanted -- information.

His insecurity about having other people just as smart as him (which he covered with all his bluster and boasting of having a Twelfth-Level intellect) was just one of his Achilles heels. He had another -- one far easier to exploit. To sum it up in two words -- his curiosity. He was driven by an insatiable desire to know things. Knowledge was power, after all. But the thing with knowledge was that it, like power, could be selfishly hoarded and hidden away, or be shared and spread around.

And Cloak knew that by denying Justhe Phax the knowledge he wanted to know would be worse than inflicting any physical trauma or tangible damage to him. Curiosity could be a burdensome trait if one allowed it to reign unchecked.

"What are you?" he demanded. "Tell me!"

Cloak shot a look to the others, and they got the message. Don't say anything. Don't give him any information. Deny and deprive him of everything he wants to know. His obsession with collecting knowing, with knowing things, would be his downfall. His obsessive curiosity would surely prove to be a liability to his goal.

"I demand that you tell me what you are!" he insisted persistently.

Cloak couldn't help but smile inwardly. He was practically begging -- this genocidal murderer of countless worlds, this monster that had wiped out so many civilizations -- and here he was, practically begging him for the information he so desired. Information he couldn't find elsewhere. Information he couldn't beat or connive out out of Cloak.

"Tell me what you are!" he roared. "Also -- tell me what in the cosmos did Galactron want with this backwater planet?!"

None of the five RAFians -- Aquilai still hadn't returned, and the Brainiac was still, seemingly, unaware of this fact, despite claiming to know everything that happened on his ship -- said anything. This seemed to displease the Brainiac, though he was intelligent enough to know his epaulet cannon was proven to not work, and he still bore damage from his last attempt which revealed his biomechanical, cyborg nature. His scope of doing any direct damage was pretty much nil -- at least 89 percent of his weaponry was on the outside of his ship, and they have proven that the remaining eleven percent was no sufficent in power to get them to get them to talk. Yes, just after one setback, he determined all this, especially as his powerful weaponry was among the 89 percent on the outside.

Cloak watched this Coluan, and he thought he could almost see the gears turning in his head. He predicted what his next move would be -- because, after all, the RAFians themselves had a glaring weakness. One that could be seen right outside the window of the ships . . . well, the ship's "bridge" if you can call it that. The cool blue orb seemed to glow in a lovely, awe-inspiring manner.

The Coluan seemed to realize this, and he straighten up, seeing the advantage. He regained his pompous demeanor, despite the fact that some of his suit had been sheared away and his mechanical bits were showing, making him look somewhat disheveled.

"Tell me what I wish to know," he warned with deadly seriousness, "or I shall destroy this worthless rock."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:54:59 AM by Cloak »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6578 on: July 14, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
Too Far?

Cloak was the first to break their impromptu silence with the Coluan.

"You do that," he said, in a quiet voice that nonetheless carried the length of the room audibly, "and I will stop holding back, and come at you with every ounce of power that I can muster."

"Holding back?" the mad Coluan said. He affected an indifferent, uninterested tone. But Cloak could hear the fear, the uncertainty, the Brainiac tried to disguise.

"You're making him angry," GH said, "and you wouldn't like him when he's angry."

Saffa jabbed him in the gut with her left elbow, causing him to yelp in pain and demand why she did that for.

"And I, too, will not hold back," Spectre said, speaking for the first time in a while. Sam never liked to mince words all that much when he was alive, and that remained when he played host to the Spectre spirit. "And you will see how much rage and power I can dish out as well."

Although he spoke seemingly to disguise Aquilai's reappearance, who was pocketing his sonic screwdriver while acting as if he had never left. Cloak hope he succeeded in his endeavor -- it would make this exceedingly easier if he had.

"I -- I'll . . ." the mad Coluan stammered. He didn't look so sure now. It was clear, in his 800+ conquests this was really the first time anyone managed to get close enough to him to cause him legitimate danger, to possibly be able to kill him. He had never anticipated this -- he had allowed his incredible hubris to color his judgement in allowing the RAFians aboard his ship, just so he could know what he desperately wanted to know. "Just tell me what I want to know."

"No," Cloak said, with a resounding finality. He knew if he gave what the Coluan found to be an unsatisfactory answer -- or even if he gave one the Brainiac found acceptable -- that he would just blow up Earth anyway, despite the risks to his person. Just to make a point. But, thanks to Aquilai's efforts, they had a contingency.

"Just tell me!"

"No," Cloak said. "Coluan, you need to learn -- there are just some things that you'll never find the answer to. And instead of hunting ever obsessively after it, and hoarding it away, just accept the fact that no one, not even me, knows everything that there is to know. No exceptions."

"I have siphoned eight hundred and two worlds dry of their knowledge and culture," the Brainiac said, savagely. "I will know it all. I will know everything!"

Spectre shook his head, "Like he said, omniscience is an impossibility. Even now, you probably have forgotten the names of three-quarters of those worlds, much less the species and cultures you've slain."

"You . . . you don't know what you're talking about!" Justhe Phax denied, a little to emphatically.

"Even a computer needs to consult a database to 'remember' certain memories," Abby chimed in. "In a manner of thinking."

"You're wrong!"

"Even your collection of spheres," Saffa said, "even they won't last forever. Technology, despite the stereotypes and tropes, does not last forever. Even their memory gets lost, corroded, or corrupted. This knowledge you gathered and hoarded like a dragon with treasure -- it may last for decades, maybe even millenia, but it won't last forever. Eventually, you'll lose everything."

"With proper maintenance, it can last forever!" he argued, completely forgetting that he was supposed to me lofty and holier-than-thou to them.

"Perhaps," Cloak said, "perhaps it can last for a while, but not forever. You have organic parts, and presumably a fully organic brain. You are not forever. You are not immortal. Maybe your kind can live to sixty years, my time, but that's hardly forever. Even the stars themselves are not immortal, just long-lived."

Cloak glared at the Coluan. "Even civilizations are not forever. Life itself isn't forever. You cannot hoard all the knowledge in the universe to yourself -- that would be a monumental task in futility. You committed over eight hundred acts of genocide really for nothing in the long run. The others may not have noticed, but I counted no less than twenty-five of your orbs that dimmed, that were fading away. And possibly many more have before we even got here. You're entire motive for committing these heinous acts was for naught."

"I . . . I don't believe you!"

"I don't really care one way or another if you do or don't," Cloak said. He glanced at Aquilai, who nodded, confirming Cloak that it was safe to depart.

"Go away!! Go away!!" he roared, sounding more like a child who was told his toy couldn't be fixed. "Just go away!! I'll leave your planet alone if you'll just leave me alone!"

They did.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6579 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »
Yeah, I understand your point, but thing is Realm Walkers don't always get to choose their names. Sometimes, whether they like it or not, it is given to them. It is up to them if they want to defy the expectations associated with the name or revel in them. Kind of like we don't always choose what happens to us, but, like Rafiki said, we can run from it, or learn from it. Ab eventually chose the latter before he was murdered by Malice. And unlike Rotiart (yes, this is a spoiler to anyone who just skipped to this book without reading Book #150, or, if your prefer, Book CL), Ab will not be back. His death was legitimate.

Yeah, I suppose he did earn the name Abomination more than he did any other.  I just have a slight soft spot for redeemed former bad guys.  :-\  But, yeah, I had no doubt whatsoever that he was dead for real.  If anything, death seems even more permanent for Walkers than Dwellers (as if it could get more permanent), since Walkers leave behind no body to potentially reanimate, nor any ghost or spirit or anything metaphysical (besides occasionally a deus ex machina) that would stick around after they're gone.  I only meant, we might have a different name to remember him by.  But, like I said, you are correct in that Abomination was still the name he earned, and that people, Walker or Dweller, don't get to pick and choose how others see them.

Which was probably cruel of me to decide to, at one point, end it in Year . . . Year XIII (does that make it better?). Oh, and don't look at your post count.

Too late.  :P  I did appreciate the extra karma point, to avoid a similar situation, though.

Well, you are a mother figure to him already. GH is his adopted father, and you're a mother figure. And not bad for a character made up on the fly upon sudden inspiration and named after a TMNT character, eh?

No kidding!  I honestly admire your ability to improvise with your stories.  Heck, I've lost count of how many times somebody has said something, and the next thing you know that comment appears in the following chapter.  It's kind of surreal.

Loving the new chapters, by the way.  The Brainiac seems like such an insignificant threat after Galactron, somehow, even though he seems to have destroyed at least as many worlds.  I wonder if that's because the latter acted like an ancient being, while the former acts like a petulant child?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6580 on: July 14, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »
Probably. I just realized that a fair few of my villains act like a petulant child. And another chapter will be in-bound soon. Might be a smidge on the short side, though.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6581 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
Probably. I just realized that a fair few of my villains act like a petulant child.

That makes sense, though.  People who are handed everything they want in life have an exceedingly strong tendency to become both petulant and evil.  That applies to the real world, too, unfortunately.  :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6582 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
I suppose -- anyway, new chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
NOT a Man of His Word

"Well," Abby said, as they boarded Yarin's ship, "that could have gone over better."

"Why are we leaving, though?" GH asked, very seriously. "We should've wasted him."

"If he breaks his word," Aquilai said, "he will be."

"What d'you mean?" Saffa inquired at once.

"If my instinct is right," Cloak said, "we shall see in a few moments while he, presumably, fumes in his ship."

"Hopefully, he's smart enough to not go back on his --" Aquilai began.

BOOOOOM!Ba-BOOM!Ka-BOOM!

"Apparently, not," Aquilia noted sadly.

"I thought you just deactivated his weapons!" Spectre exclaimed.

"I thought that might not be enough, though I did deactivate them at first," Aquilai said. "Besides, there was no guarantee that he wouldn't be able to reactivate them. The mechanics of his systems was remarkably sophisticated, I must say. Difficult, but not impossible, to access. So, I rigged his weapons to explode if armed. This was the only way I could think of to dissuade him."

"You killed him," GH said.

"Without more definitive proof, we cannot say that," Cloak said very seriously.

"The ship exploded, Cloak! Blown to bits!" GH protested.

"We all thought Rotiart had died," Cloak pointed out. "But he lived, and it came back to bite us in the butt."

"You can't really equate the two, Cloak," Saffa said, sounding reasonable.

"Oh, just watch me," Cloak said, very seriously, though he spoke no more.

"It is rather sad, though," Abby said. "He was so consumed with his obsession to possess all the knowledge of creation, of owning it, it lead to his own destruction. Can you imagine being so . . . so driven to delusion?"

"It may be a sad fate," Saffa said, almost sternly, as if she was addressing the presumed deceased, "but it was a fate of his own making. No one told him to do what he did. No one told him to commit so many genocides. And all for what? For something that would have been invariably lost anyway. All a waste -- a waste of time, a waste of energy, a waste of . . . of lives."

"Just think of what he could have accomplish if he wasn't so selfish, so self-entitled?" Spectre said with folded arms.

"Perhaps, in another timeline, he was," Aquilai said, with a shrug.

"I get the feeling that I missed out on a lot," Yarin said. He wasn't miffed or anything, he was merely stating what he felt to be a fact. "But, enough of that, let's go home."

"Let's," Cloak agreed.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6583 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
Did not see that ending coming.  That was a pretty elegant solution, if you ask me, letting the villain just fall on his own sword like that.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #6584 on: July 15, 2017, 03:52:42 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Leatherhead's Scales and Arpeggios

It was a day or two later. It was a just lovely summer day, the first one Leatherhead and GH could enjoy together in a while. GH strummed his favorite guitar as Leatherhead played his keytar, as they jammed out together.

Leatherhead sang:

"Do mi so do do so mi do.
Every truly cultured music student knows
That you must learn your scales and your arpeggios.
Bring the music roaring from your chest
And not your nose,
While you play your scales and your arpeggios.
If you're faithful to your daily practicing,
You will find your progress is encouraging.
Do mi so mi do me so mi fa la -- or so it goes
When you do your scales and your arpeggios!
"

It was at this point GH joined in:

"Do mi so do do so mi do.
Do mi so do do so mi do.
Though at first it seems as though it doesn't show,
Like a flower, skill will bloom and grow.
If you're smart, you'll learn by heart what every musician knows.
You must play your scales
And your arpeggios.
"

Then the two collapsed against one another, laughing, and basically just enjoying having the other's company.

In a darkened facility, with immaculate tile floors, sterile white walls, and a smooth, white ceiling. There was limited staff milling around a central cylindrical tank with some suspended mass of . . . something, that appeared to be a mixture of scarlet and rusty red. All the staff wore white jackets that extended to their knees. These scientists' faces were obscured in shadow, as they worked, faces illuminated by the blue of their computer screens.

All of these scientists wore a symbol on the lapel of their jackets -- an eye with a DNA strand inside a beaker inside the pupil. The symbol of Cadmus. The symbol indicated their employer, and the agenda they were working toward. Who among these scientists knew what Cadmus's true goals and what their agenda actually entails? Who just saw this as a normal nine-to-five job, just a means to a paycheck? What were their stories.

"How is it doing?" barked a man in charge.

"Vitals are steady, Mr. Fugi," said a scientist who wore her hair in what appeared to be lazily-done cornrows. "Its beginning to take shape."

"Good, good," he replied. "Will it be ready by the deadline?"

"If all proceeds as well, sir," she answered professionally.

"Good," he said, more to himself than anyone else. "Maybe I can get Director Waller off my back for a few hours now."

"Pardon, sir?"

"No matter," he snapped. "Keep me.posted."

* SOURCE SONG: https://youtube.com/watch?v=tEL-RsUsKlw

(January 7, 2020)