Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #11 The Forgotten  (Read 1846 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #11 The Forgotten
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
Synopsis
Nothing is what is seems...
The Yeerks have messed up. They crashed a ship, and are rushing to cover it up. But they can't do it before Tobias sees it. Now the Animorphs want it; it's the perfect way to show the world the Yeerks exist. But Visser Three wouldn't let it go easily. And then things go wrong. The Animorphs are blasted through time and space. Now they're stuck in the rain forest with a ship full of Yeerks, no way home, and only a few hours before a time-space anomaly wipes they out of existence...

Questions
   1. Animorphs runs on the notion of normal kids living secret double lives. How well do you think Applegate portrays the normal aspect of their lives? Do the mannerisms, interests and the all-important aspects of school fit your memories or exceptions of the teenage years? Did you have square dance in gym?

2. Here we're introduced to the Sario Rip. Thoughts on this mechanism of time travel?

3. We've seen before, and will see again, the plan of exposing the Yeerks to the world. What do you think of this plan? Why do they need something as grand as a Yeerk ship, as opposed to the evidence they have at their disposal?

4. The trip through the rain forest is as challenging as any battle, though not without it's wonders. What do you think of the Animorphs experience and Applegate's account of this part of the world?

5. Jake makes a lot of decisions, and he thinks of lot of them are the wrong ones. What do you think of Jakes choices as a leader in this book? How do you think he handles crisis upon crisis? What alternatives would you take to some of the calls he made?

6. Jake reflects that the only reason anyone survived this episode was due to luck. What do you think of luck as a contributer to his success in this book, and the Animorphs success in the series at large? How much stock do you put in luck your life?

7. Perfect for morphing about the rain forest, and killing Lerdethaks if properly armed: a monkey morph. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a monkey to be like? Noting a familiarity with the brachiating experience, Cassie remarks "Maybe all the stages of evolution are still a part of us". What do you think of this notion?

8. What would you do in the leader's position? How would you maintain order, and go about making those demanding decisions? Would you dare to take on the post of leader of Earth's last hope? Jake repeatedly hopes to be removed for the position: At what point do you think you would step down?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #12 The Reaction

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #11 The Forgotten
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
Short post for now: re: 7, see Recapitulation Theory. Note the "disproven" thing.

Also, I might be just grasping at straws now, but this scene kind of fits this pattern I've been noticing. (Marco is kind of the ambivalent piece here.) Ax went to steal something from the Yeerk ship, but he hasn't come back yet, so they're worried about him...

"Just two of us go," I snapped. "Me and you, Rachel. Marco and Cassie, stay back."
"Why are we staying back?" Marco asked, outraged.
"Because we need backup, Marco," I said tersely.
I don't know if he understood this or not. Rachel did.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #11 The Forgotten
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
   1. I know we did square dancing, but I don't remember it. (Repressed?) I picture them still in middle school at this point, and they seemed a little advanced in pop culture from what I remember, but I was-am-odd on that stuff anyway. Normal live is greatly down played, but what's there is all in all on par with the general experience.

2. Weird. A hole in the fabric of space time, okay, but I just don't get how it lends you to being two places at once, or how it repairs itself. Seems to me if space time is fabric it should be more of a fold but, idk. Physics :-p

3. With the truck ship it was a good idea. With Ax, the Chee, known Controllers, all this other stuff, it's meaningless effort.

4. I've now spent some time walking through tropical forest, though not the Amazon, and I heard Rachel's comments more than once. Forest is foul and violent if you aren't equipped, and lucky. So for that I give her high points on accuracy, and breaking the myth of it's all wonderful. I also like her comments on the grandeur of it too. I'm not so sure it's as frequent (wasn't in the places I've been) but when you find something good, well the contrast makes it all the more magnificent.

5. The only bad choice he made was walking up to the fighters at the end. Considering he was being schooled in time travel at the time, the other mistakes weren't something he could have avoided in advance. I've said before, Jake is at his best when he doesn't doubt himself, but he did that way to much here. Not without reason, but it became an impediment here, so clearly too much

6. For them, for me, for the world, luck can not be undersold. Never depend on it, but man, I've so much luck for stuff that I'd never depend on it for it's stupid. And so did the Animorphs. I thinks it's a very real thing, and though you can't trust it, be thankful when you get it, and use it well

7. Re: "Maybe all the stages of evolution are still a part of us" I would have called b.s., but recapitulation was brought up, and that took me back to anatomy. Discredited or not, I don't think recapitulation applies here. I think what Cassie brought up depends more on the evolution of the vertebrate-specially primate-brain. Anatomically each "stage" of evolution modifies the prior, altering, conserving or removing what is already there. It's why though the brain of sheep and a dogfish are radically different, they are in many ways structurally and functionally comparable: e.g. knowing the layout of one gives you great advantage in learning the other. So assuming the human brain is what it should be, derived and built upon the ancestral primate brain the statement, literally, is not without merit. The idea that we remember and recall those changes in the recesses of either memory or instinct, that I'm less inclined to believe. I've no proof certainly, but I think that as the body moves away from that type of locomotion, I would expect the cognitive processes that went with it would also have subsided: that is a person can't move through tree's like monkey, and I doubt they have any part of their brain that would think like it could.

1. Regarding the monkey morph itself. Seems like having a tail would be cool XD

8. I've played leader before. Leader of Earth's last hope? No. Not unless I was going it alone. IRL I'm fairly diplomatic, but not afraid of yelling. I think I'd be to willing to take massive losses in this fight though. The decision making, well I'd tally that to do it or don't. Hopefully stay too busy to contemplate the consequence of either.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....