Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #1 The Andalite's Gift  (Read 2778 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #1 The Andalite's Gift
« on: December 17, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Synopsis
Even heroes need a vacation. The Animorphs fight alone to protect the Earth from Yeerk threat, and they need a little time off. But things aren't going well. Rachel's gone missing, and the Animorphs are being hunted by some...thing. Something that appears everything they morph, and destroys everything it touches. The Animorphs only weapon is now their greatest liability, and it's only a matter of time before all of them are captured, or killed...

Questions

1. The first Megamorphs. How do you like the split narration aspect of the Megamorphs books? Whose parts did you like best in this one? Did anyone get short-changed in the telling of this story? This is also Ax's first time narrating-anything worth noting?

2. The other Megamorphs deal with alternate realities, or at least not the current Yeerk threat. This book however has Visser Three actively pursuing the Animorphs, and they have to stop him, more or less in line with the rest of the series. Should Megamorphs have been reserved for extra fantastical adventures, or more continuous with the series? Or is a mix good?

3. What did you think about the Veleek as a new alien, and it's tracking via morphing energy particularly during transformation? What did you think of the way the Animorphs handled it?

4. The last book saw the destruction of the Kandrona, but we're yet to see it's effects. Is now the right time for Visser Three to go on the hunt?

5. Animorphs is a story of kids at war; fighting for their lives, their loved ones, their very freedom. That doesn't change the fact that it is friggin' funny. How do you like the use of humor in Animorphs? Any particular comedic instants you like from this book in particular? (As if I had to ask)

6. Not much narration on its life and mind in this book, but the Humpback Whale occurs in several important places throughout the series. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a humpback to be like? What do you think of the reverence given to this whale throughout the series?

7. At one point in the story, Cassie makes the decision to not draw the Veleek's attention, and let it carry off one of her friends. That lack of action makes her feel like a coward. What do you think? What would you do in that spot; would you be willing to make a rampaging beast take you rather than a friend?

8. Hope; a word, a cause, a legacy. What do you think about the concept of hope for Animorphs-both the characters and the series? How enduring is the message of hope throughout the series? Do the ideals of hope here reach you outside the books?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #8 The Alien

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 Megamorphs #1 The Andalite's Gift
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
2. I guess a mix is fine. I'm a sucker for time-travel (when it's done well), so I particularly enjoyed 3 and 4.
3. I hadn't remembered that it came from Saturn! When I read that part I was curious that they never brought up the idea of life elsewhere in the solar system again. Then again when you have all those other planets to deal with I guess it gets swept under the rug.
5. I like the humorous lines, although I think making it too silly means it's impossible to strike a consistent tone or even an evolving arc. I enjoyed <Pardon me if I sound skeptical, and please don't be offended, but I sense that maybe this is a dishonorable idea.>
6. I guess the depiction here is a bit over the top, yes.
7. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough, although like Cassie I might berate myself for it later. I thought her "this thing needs to be me because I failed last time" was unnecessary--she's the best morpher and it would probably have had to be her anyway.
8. Definitely not "enduring" despite its being highlighted early on. I consider myself a pretty hopeful (or at least refusing to rule things out until they really, completely deserve it) person so some of these books resonate with me more than the late-sequence ones will.
9. Again, I'm going to try and track down the books to reread just for these threads. :) I remember the Anibase mentioned that having some chapters be kind of out of order as different characters catch up was unpopular and abandoned for the other Megamorphs, so I could imagine that changing in a rerelease.
10. Does amnesia really work as portrayed? That felt unrealistic. And Rachel remembering Tobias before Cassie also seemed...off, considering that they're barely in a relationship or anything.
Also, the beginning of chapter 17 struck me. Rachel is missing; Jake, Marco, Tobias, and Ax are searching for her out on the road. Jake has told Cassie to, basically, stay back and look at the mall.
He'd said I would know best where she hung out.
Maybe that was true, but it bothered me a little. It could be a little sexist on Jake's part. Or maybe he was trying to protect me. Either way, it bothered me. I didn't want special treatment because I was a girl. Jake would never even think about something like that with Rachel.
Maybe it's just the fic I read today, but this seems kind of foreshadowy!

Offline Ouroboros

• Oooh, I have pants now. This is an improvement.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
1. The narration changes were okay, but I felt that certain parts were lacking. I thought Rachel's part was weak, but I also have no love for amnesia as a plot device. Ax is unusual as a narrator, for me. I feel that his thoughts and interpretations of things should be much more alien, but he sounds rather human. Is it due to his situation and his constant exposure to humans? Possibly. But I think it should still be more alien.

2. I think the Megamophs should be reserved for much bigger or alternate events.

3. The Veleek was a cool idea - but I felt it failed as a "bad guy". Without extensive testing on Visser 3's part, the Veleek was basically useless. Sure, it caught Ax...but how many times did it ALMOST capture one of the others? Way too many for it to be an effective "morph-hunter".

5. I like most of the humor to be found in the Animorphs, and in this book the exchange while Marco is driving the truck stands out: "Do you hate trash cans?" Jake asked. "Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!"

6. I think when people depict whales the portrayal is usually over the top. This is no exception.

8. Hope is overrated and overused and as an ultimate message for any media is trite and stale.

9. Last night, just for this :)

Thanks to Seal for the sig!

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Another thing (which could apply to a bunch of books, not just this one): what's with Visser Three and the not-infesting-Andalites-once-you-have-them thing? You'd think the Council would get sick of that, if nothing else.

Offline AllyVP

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
   1. The first Megamorphs. How do you like the split narration aspect of the Megamorphs books? Whose parts did you like best in this one? Did anyone get short-changed in the telling of this story? This is also Ax's first time narrating-anything worth noting?

In the second paragraph of Ax’s narration, he brings up that he will have to kill Visser Three.  But then, in the next book, we get a big “DUNDUNDUN” revelation moment.  For style’s sake, that makes ZERO sense.   

2. The other Megamorphs deal with alternate realities, or at least not the current Yeerk threat. This book however has Visser Three actively pursuing the Animorphs, and they have to stop him, more or less in line with the rest of the series. Should Megamorphs have been reserved for extra fantastical adventures, or more continuous with the series? Or is a mix good?

The only issue I had with it was an odd one—it fit with the continuity of the series.  The others were all out of the main timeline.  This felt like any other book, and I think that the Megamorphs should have been reserved for more “fantastic” stories (like time travel and alternate realities).

3. What did you think about the Veleek as a new alien, and it's tracking via morphing energy particularly during transformation? What did you think of the way the Animorphs handled it?

I think Cassie’s plan was absolutely brilliant.  I am not Cassie’s biggest fan (but I don’t hate her as much as a lot of people do), but that was very clever. 
About the Veleek specifically, my only question is this:  what the hell does it have to eat on Saturn?  Is it just me, or is that a teeny bit strange?  And I don’t buy that they could “program” a living creature like you could program a computer.  Train, yes, but the way they spoke of it was more like rewriting software than training a dog.

4. The last book saw the destruction of the Kandrona, but we're yet to see it’s effects. Is now the right time for Visser Three to go on the hunt?

No, but when was Visser Three known for thinking ahead?

5. Animorphs is a story of kids at war; fighting for their lives, their loved ones, their very freedom. That doesn't change the fact that it is friggin' funny. How do you like the use of humor in Animorphs? Any particular comedic instants you like from this book in particular? (As if I had to ask)

“DO YOU JUST HATE TRASH CANS?”
Who doesn’t love that?  I mean really.

6. Not much narration on its life and mind in this book, but the Humpback Whale occurs in several important places throughout the series. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a humpback to be like? What do you think of the reverence given to this whale throughout the series?

I think that Applegate loves these animals dearly, and gave them a special place of honor.
Yes, I think it is over exaggerated, but it is interesting. 
I imagine you would feel incredibly graceful, to be able to move a body of that size through the water with such precision.  I’ve seen humpback whales breaching, and it is truly awesome. 

7. At one point in the story, Cassie makes the decision to not draw the Veleek's attention, and let it carry off one of her friends. That lack of action makes her feel like a coward. What do you think? What would you do in that spot; would you be willing to make a rampaging beast take you rather than a friend?

I think that having Marco get captured made for a much better scene in the Blade ship. 
It would depend.  Will I be more useful overall for the cause inside or outside the ship?  Who has the better chance to escape?  Who has longer in morph (Cassie, for this one)? 

8. Hope; a word, a cause, a legacy. What do you think about the concept of hope for Animorphs-both the characters and the series? How enduring is the message of hope throughout the series? Do the ideals of hope here reach you outside the books? 

The Animorph’s cause seems, at first glance to be hopeless.  But so did America’s cause in the Revolutionary War.  It is the same many times in history; people don’t give up even though the rest of the world tells them to, and they prove the world wrong. 
On the other hand, in winning the war, they lost a lot.  Sanity, morals, and countless lives.  It’s hard to have hope when a broken world is what you’ve “won.”

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

Read it to do this.

10. Anything else?

Nope, not this time.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
1. I like the rotating narrators. It was useful, considering the Ani's were split up a lot of the time. I did not like Ax's narration. He sounded way too 'human', an issue that was fixed before his first official book, #8.

2. Not sure. I personally feel like the length of the Megamorphs books allows for more complex storylines without having to worry about a multiple-book arc (like the David Trilogy). If they had used the Megamorphs as an opportunity to tell more gritty stories that were pertinent to the war that could have been really good for the series. On the other hand, the Megamorphs were advertised as 'extra' books, which might mean some readers would pass on buying them, and therefore be confused if the regular series referred to things that happened in a Megamorphs.

They should just make all the books longer instead. :P

4. No, but Visser Three is stupid and probably ticked off about the Kandrona being destroyed. He knows that they delivered a major blow, and he knows that he's going to have to make some pretty huge sacrifices. So he does the stupid thing and, instead of dealing with the situation, tries to go beat on the culprits.

5. Duh. Trash can.

6. -.- I think the whale thing is a bit stupid, honestly. Applegate almost gives them mystical qualities that I think are unrealistic and don't fit the tone of the actual series. Then again, I've never been a whale, so what do I know?

7. I wouldn't have frozen, but not because I'm brave - I'm stupid and reckless, especially in a situation where someone I care about could get hurt. I don't think Cassie's reaction was necessarily cowardly - it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do when faced with a giant monster.

8. Enduring enough that I have a tattoo that says <HOPE> on my ankle. I think it's pivotal to the series, and an essential message to carry throughout life in general. It really sums the entire series up in one word. All of the battles, from the Hork-Bajir Homeworld, to the Yeerks that tried to sympathize with their hosts and were persecuted for it, to the Animorphs themselves...all of them needed hope, and all of them faced impossible odds.

I disagree with Ouroboros about it being trite in this case. I think a lot of media overdoes the 'hope' thing, but Animorphs managed to execute the message well, without sacrificing the idea of shades of gray and the general bleakness and terrors of war.

9. Uh, a few years ago. I'll just be happy if they re-release the Megamorphs.

10. Nope!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:16:12 PM by Terenia [Teach] »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
   1. I like split narration in the Megamorphs. I come to hate it in 19 and 42 for multiple reasons. 54 too, but only because that one was too short for...multiple things. Tobias got gypped: felt like she doesn't have a place for him. Ax was really good though. Brave, rational-solid Axing considering it's his first go.

2. I would have kept them for exceptional stories-things to expand the main story, not just more missions. Like the pokemon movies to the t.v. show, ya know? But what's incredible is that his radical tactic of mutated aliens is the first we see of him hunting the Animorphs, rather than letting them come to him. Impressive 

3. It would have been interesting to see it in particle form more. Or somewhere between that and giant monster. That said, it's a giant monster-how can I not approve. Drowning it was good, clever: too bad they'll use that solution like 3 more times....

4. NO! Bad placement, really was. The only justification IMO is fear that they'll hit you while you're down. But still, I think they'd be better off building defenses at this time. But I guess no one ever accused V3 of overusing the cautious approach.

5. I don't think I'd like these books nearly as much if they weren't so funny. Almost every book can still make me laugh out loud, comedy is classic and expertly utilized throughout. And really, is there any better example than the one involving trash cans?

6. Cetaceans were given way to much magical properties throughout, that was a problem for me. I don't see them using...spirit-speak?...with dolphin morphed humans. Still, undeniably impressive beast, and she conveyed that well. For some reason I picture being a whale, a grown one,  like that place between sleep and being awake: mostly chill, needs met, but knowing there's still stuff you need to do. I also think of them as close to flying as you can get in water. I know there are better swimmers, but whales seems more like they're floating than swimming. (Now who's overusing magic properties to describe whales?)

7. Cassie is not a coward. She's not. Like her or not, she's not. But that just makes it odd, cause I think she should have. The point was to keep it moving, even a momentary stall- I think it just should have been done. I like to think I would, but I am a coward so who knows. At the moment I think she should have gone smaller: limit in one direct, probably in the other too.  That's all

8. In addition to comedy, hope is the other meaningful thing I get from these books. Central to the series through....about 15 I think, then it becomes secondary to war. Still it must of had some impacts on the character: don't see how anyone could fight this fight without it. And even though it falls, off, I think it comes back at the end. "Ram the Bladeship" is nothing but hope in my mind. Now me, I'm the eternal optimist, or maybe just stubborn, but still, whether that was born from these books or not, it continues to resonate with them very well. Really hope (and humor) are what keeps me so drawn to these books; the presentation of a concept is unequaled in the literature I've encountered, and rivaled only by one other story I know.

9. The amnesia aspect I thought was uninteresting. Plot mechanism, annoying. Eh.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....