Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #6 The Capture  (Read 2151 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-read 2.0 #6 The Capture
« on: December 03, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
Synopsis
Now he's one of them...
The Yeerks are on the move. They're upping recruitment, and going after a high profile target-a man who might be the next U.S. President. Putting a stop to the Yeerk plan is a must, and the Animorphs even have a way to do it quick and clean. But it's never easy, and at the height of chaos there's an accident.  For the first time the Animorphs suffer the true horrors of the Yeerks. Jake has been captured. The leader of Earth's resistance is now a Controller...

Questions
   1. We're six books in, and Jake has already begun contemplating killing his brother. What do you think of these thoughts and his symbolical dream? Is he being pessimistic, and already starting to give up hope of saving Tom, or being realistic about how things may turn out? How much of his fight is still just about saving his brother, as opposed to the whole world?

2. On the other side of that-what did you think of his message for Tom?

3. We finally have a first hand account of the Controller experience. Have any thoughts on it? What did you think of this Yeerk in particular, and what we gather from it about the minds of host- particularly Tom, with hope abandoned and a powerless desire to keep his brother safe?

4. Jake makes the observation that while a Yeerk will surrender, humans will fight even when they cannot win. Is this an accurate statement about the human spirit? Is it crazy to fight when against insurmountable odds?

5. The Yeerks plan shows a desire to take people of authority. How important is political structure in accomplishing and resisting a global take over? How much damage would be wrought if a head of state was controlled by the enemy? If the established order falls or betrays the people, is the battle lost or could a strong resistance still endure?

6. Crayak is slipped into this book, though not named nor mentioned again for another 20 books. What are your thoughts on him showing up here? What is your explanation of his occurrence at the critical moment of the Yeerk's death?

7. Jake's takes a lot of initiative in this book, having the team spy out and put a stop to a Yeerk serious plan. How is Jake's development as a leader coming along?

8. What about his friends? What do you think about the way the other Animorphs organized and handled the situation of his capture?

9. In this book the Animorphs acquire and use two of their most usual, and disgusting, morphs-but let's stay on the fly for now. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate, exaggerated or undersold? What do you envision the experience of being an fly to be like? How much utility does this morph have? What do a fly's perceptions garbage and dog poop being a treat, rather than well, dog poop and garbage show us about the differences of animal lifestyles?

10. We've talked about being a number of animals so far, but let's take a second to address becoming another animal. What do you think of the morphing process; oozing and shifting mass? Is it good or bad Applegate made it this way, rather than a clean or magical transformation? How does the process of simply becoming another creature strike you? Is the horror or joy of actually changing form dependent on what you're becoming, and it's similarities to your body?

11. What would you do if you were made a into a slave? Specifically a Controller, a slave in your own body. Would you resist your captor? How would you try to fight back? How long do you think you could endure? Or would you try to make the best of it? Could you converse or cooperate with a Yeerk in your head?

12. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

13. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #7 The Stranger

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #6 The Capture
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
2. I think it's a good idea. It's not like anyone can tell it was him since he was halfway in morph. And it might have given the real Tom some hope, so he'll hang in there longer, maybe long enough for jake to kill the yeerk.
3. I always think that the books over exaggerate on how bad it is. It's just basically you can't control yourself. It is a little embarrassing about the yeerk being able to see your secretes, but still. The last part seems...annoying.
6. I think it's odd he showed up. I was like, "What is that supposed to be?". I sorta ignored it though and kept on reading the rest and stuff.
10. Now that you mention it, I think making it sound creepy is a good idea. If it's just like a magic "Poof!", it'll seem odd, more like fantasy. That just makes it more...like Animorphs. Or maybe I'm just really used to that. But I still think that it's better the way it is.
11. Now that I've read animorphs, I'll try to get it to start the Yeerk Peace Movement. If not, I'll just use it as company I guess, and hope it doesn't get me into trouble and help me get better grades in school.
12. That last time I read this book? Uh...a year ago? It's not my favourite so I didn't bother re-reading it. For the changes...I wonder what they'll do for the fly movie part. When I first read it, I got a bit confused on it, since I've never watched the movie before
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #6 The Capture
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
         1. Like I said, Jake's story is about leadership. As much as he would want saving Tom to be his primary goal, that always would have had to been his bonus. Because of his job, the world comes first. So I take this a very dark and strategic look at that. Can't put too much stock in dreams, but the thoughts are, well, I pity him for them. I doubt he's entirely given up yet, realistic, but still slightly pessimistic.
   2. One of the most touching things I've seen on print. All the there is to say bout that
   3. Idk why I'm having all these changes of heart of late-in the past I've envisioned infestation as being tolerable, if unpleasant, that hasn't entirely changed but I'm starting to think it'd be more unpleasant than I've let on in the past. Not being able to look were you want whenever you want would be rather frustrating. Especially if you're a control freak. Probably take it for granted now.
   4. It is bat s*** crazy to fight a losing battle. That doesn't mean I won't if I must, but that doesn't make it less crazy. That said, I just don't believe this notion is applicable to most people. People give up all the time. They surrender themselves, they surrender each other. History is full of stories about little guys hurling themselves at giants, but that's because history is about the extraordinaire, not the mundane. A lot of people won't lay back and take punishment, but a lot, and I think most would, inadvertent or not. I know I'm missing something in that assessment, but I the moment I can't find it.
   5. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it as necessary. It implies a top down a approach, where the man in charge can take those under him by force or manipulation. (WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE AT THE ****ING SCHOOL, OH MY GOD!) And at the end that's what they started doing with the National Guard, even though they clearly didn't have the top. Could have been helpful sure, but seeing the way the Yeerks executed their plan, didn't fit, wasn't required.
   6. It's cool they slipped in the devil, before we even see the Ellimist at that. Daunting, but not seeing him for another twenty books takes some of the force from him. Why at the death? I really do think Crayak choose that moment to expose him self to the Ellimist tool. Maybe everyone peers over life and death, but I don't think every gets a glimpse Crayak: especially, since I gather, he doesn't really have form in that plane. Though really I'm amazed anyone peering between life and death isn't more wigged out or insightful from it. hmm.
   7. He did good. He made plans, carried them out well, didn't piss and moan. I was happy with that in this book.
   8. Same. Ax was, um, helpful, but all in all they did a good job sizing up the problem and working out a solution. Animorphs at their highest.
   9. Way too much about food, (I'm guessing when you morph your new body has an empty stomach, but that seems dumb) come on we've all seen flies kinda cruise and hang out, but I'll admit I'm glad for these on they skip mating: seen way too much of that from insects irl. Having spent a good time of my youth with a swatter, I think I'd be terrified to be so small and defenseless, and probably disgusted cause flies like, well dog poop, but the flight skills would rock to have. It's hard to get over perceptions about garbage and poop, I'm glad they aren't in my diet, but I think they got that right-if you're a fly why not love it?
   10. This I don't picture being too bad, once you know you're going to be okay. More, or fewer appendages could be cool, disgust determined more by life style than form: Dung beetle, gross, rhinoceros beetle, cool. I'm glad she made it a terrifying process, much more amusing, much more emphasis that you're changing shape that way
   11. Like I said, I've recently changed heart. I'd be planning and plotting escape every way I can, though probably couldn't come up with something executable: have to be able to escape alive. If it wasn't a psycho like Esplin, I still think I could probably get on alright with a Yeerk. A constant intelligent mind to converse with could be nice. Good or bad Yeerk, I'm sure I'd periodically get snippy and bother it with pointless questions and rants.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....