Author Topic: Some topics to relocate  (Read 6960 times)

esplin

Re: Some topics to relocate
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
These topics, some of my favorite ones to check, are now in boards where they will be easily ignore and pushed down and away from the general viewing. 

RAF isn't my internet home anymore.  I've moved on.  But that doesn't stop me from being a little upset to see something I loved so much changed by the petty complaints of some guy. 

I don't know how long you've been here Aquilai but we tried a move like this before and people had trouble finding the threads and with the idea of having these threads in other places.  Its just not a good idea and I don't get how the staff doesn't know or remember that.

And Jess I'm glad you agree with me

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
I'm sorry you disagree. These topics are possibly the most popular of all topics (hence their length). Being moved to the appropriate sections won't necessarily make them any less popular. In fact for new members who are interested it will be even easier for them to find these topics if they are in the right sections without recreating a new thread for existing ones.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

VisserZer0

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Honestly, the only complaint I have with this move is that I lost about 40 posts. D:

Other than that, I don't really see what yer all complaining about. :P

EDIT: Most topics get buried eventually anyway. I don't see why them getting covered by everything else is really a huge problem. (other than "OMG THEYVE BEEN HEER FOR SUUU LONG !!")
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:02:53 PM by VisserZer0 »

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
While I definitely understand the impulse to 'clean up' and sort threads into where they should generally go, I have to disagree with what was done in this case.  Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, am allergic to change, what-have-you.

But there's something about having a long-term thread that's always been in one place for so long, suddenly move, that's quite disconcerting to me.  And I don't think the advantage in organization gained from moving only a half-dozen threads is worth it.  Not to mention how very subjective it is which threads should be in the Bored Board and which ones shouldn't.  I'm worried about precedents and slippery slopes, too.

. . . Not to even mention the lost posts, which is probably a small consideration to those of you who don't care about post count.  I feel cheated, though.  I'm a shy person by nature, compounded by the fact that I like to put a lot of time and thought into my (non-Bored-Board) posts.  And of course I realize that not everyone does this.  But to have a bunch of my posts suddenly just thrown out as meaningless, is at least a little bit hurtful.

I don't mean to complain or be rude, but I felt the need to put my opinion out there.  Feel free to ignore me.  Time heals all wounds and I'm sure I'll eventually adjust to this change if it turns out to be a permanent one.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Asher: I have OCD of the sort which, on forums I personally own or moderate, leads me to compulsively organize. I am sympathetic to the drive to have threads where you feel they belong. That said, it is the general board, as in 'anything that isn't strictly covered by other boards at the very first glance.' I don't have any personal investment in either side of the argument, but I do feel that it's a little pointless to fuss over the change and ask the mods to move things back.

As we see it, the arguments for the move are:
-improved organization in terms of where a thread 'belongs'
 Counter: where threads 'belong' is a bit subjective

-at least one member is bothered by the former thread location(s)
 Counter: several members are bothered by the move

-the move has already occurred
 Counter: it can be reversed

Arguments against:
-bored board is hyperactive, so any given thread gets hidden on the list / difficulty of navigation
   Counter: using 'replies to my posts' and 'unread topics' will bring threads you visit regularly to the top, if they have been updated recently

-posts in those topics will disappear from individual post counts
  Counter: not everybody cares about post counts
 ...then again, some people care very much.

-alteration of RAFtradition, whatever that tradition actually is
  Counter: a board has to evolve and respond to needs

-some members are bothered that a single member's opinion sparks mod action to change something that didn't bother anybody else enough for them to complain about it
  Counter: why shouldn't it? Theoretically the mods wouldn't act if they didn't consider it a worthy action
...on the other hand, they could just be acting to make the complainer stop complaining

I believe those are the most immediate arguments on either side? Have I missed any?
As it stands, I was unbothered by the previous situation, and I remain unbothered by the change. I won't be bothered if there is a change back. *shrug*
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
A positive side of this change is that it might make the social board a bit more popular.
A negative side is that I never check the bored board. But that's my problem and it's no real biggy for me anyway cause most of those threads moved in bored board I hardly check anyway.
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

esplin

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Honestly, the only complaint I have with this move is that I lost about 40 posts. D:

EDIT: Most topics get buried eventually anyway. I don't see why them getting covered by everything else is really a huge problem. (other than "OMG THEYVE BEEN HEER FOR SUUU LONG !!")

I lost about 500 to 700 posts.

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »

Wait, so when topics get moved to the bored board you lose the posts you made in the topic? Huh. Never knew that before.
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

VisserZer0

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »

I lost about 500 to 700 posts.

Yeah, and you still have 20,000. :P

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
I lost 1400. :P I think that takes the cake.

Which is to say, that's my only real beef with the move. I can live with the rest, I just... my post count. D: ...Yes. My priorities are predictable. Which is why I feel like my opinion on this is less than important. XD

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
You know what this means?

If he wanted it, Russell would now have a realistic opportunity to reclaim #1 poster. XD
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
Come to think of it, are you sure that Latest Purchase does not belong to the Bored Board?

Steph is still ahead of Russ, but if we keep this up he'll probably end up #1  ><
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »
Come to think of it, are you sure that Latest Purchase does not belong to the Bored Board?

It does.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »
Hey, I think my lost posts got restored!  Thanks, Richard!  You always know how to keep us happy.  :)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Some of mine did. :)