Author Topic: Chronicles of Sean: The Hostage  (Read 2185 times)

NateSean

Chronicles of Sean: The Hostage
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
Kullan 926
Earth Year: 1978
“Progress report.”

Jullay 226 jumped at the order. One of the youngest cadets assigned to my ship, the Argway, her adjustment to this command was not made easier by the fact that she was also the last surviving member of her comrades.

“The ground crew reports some difficulty in finding secure ground to build the infestation piers,” she said, her nerves causing her to stammer once or twice. “The test pool you have selected is free of predators as you determined, but the ore surrounding it is unstable.”

The silence must have been terrible for her. Oh well. She would grow accustomed to it. For unlike her comrades it was not nerves or bad news that cost them their lives. It was the slightest hesitance to follow my orders. No visser had a reputation for allowing such behavior and I would not become the first.

After a period of contemplation I said, “We will need to use the maglev trucks for now. Carry a small group of hosts to the center of the pool and bring the hosts back to the surface until their cycle is complete. Once we can prove our findings to the Empire they will supply the materials to construct the new Kandronas and we will not need the planet for much longer.”

Jullay quickly relayed my instructions to the ground crew as I approached the Ramonite wall at the front of the ship and instructed it to clear. Not many would consider the view before me “beautiful”. Although every species in the universe has its own concept of beauty, (some have none at all) surely there are individuals who would look at the brown, rust colored planet that orbited this very unique star and be filled with wonder and reverence.

Although for me the beauty lie not with the planet itself, but in the composition of its water, which covered thirty percent of the surface.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:26:56 PM by NateSean »

NateSean

Re: Chronicles of Sean: The Hostage
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
A short month after the events of The Complication , Sean experienced Ax’s Mirror call, thinking it an ordinary dream based on his experiences with the Yeerks and the Chee. At this time Ax is planning his return to the Andalite home world with the help of the Animorphs.

Chapter One – Sean

My name is Sean. Have you ever been bullied? Or did someone at work make you really uncomfortable? You know that feeling in your stomach like you’re going to throw up, only it’s with you forever because you don’t know when you’re going to see that person or deal with that experience ever again?

That’s what I feel all the time now. And it’s a terrible thing when the person who makes you feel that way is in your house. It’s even worse when you don’t know if that thing that makes you uncomfortable is also in your school, or at the store where you stopped to buy ginger ale on the way to school, or if it’s the nurse you’ve been sent to after you told the teacher that you were fine but she insisted on sending you anyway.

“Open your mouth.”

I did, but only because I was afraid of where she might stick the thermometer if I didn’t open my mouth. It’s standard practice of all school nurses to take your temperature.

Headache? Take your temperature. Stomach ache? Let me get your temperature. Bleeding from the stump where your leg was just ripped off by a wild grizzly bear? Open your mouth and stick this under your tongue.

“99.6,” The nurse said after reading the thermometer and removing the protective strip. “Almost a fever, Sean.”

“Oh good,” I muttered. “I can prove to the girls that I really am hot.”

She gave me an obligatory smirk. I could care less if she really found it funny, so long as I could get back to class soon.

“Are you sure you don’t want to just lie down for a bit.”

“I’m sure.” Off her reaction I realized by tone was angrier than I meant it to be. But that’s how much my life has changed in the past few months.

The nurse gave me a long look. I’ve read enough books to know what she was trying to figure out. Was I being abused? Was I suffering from depression? Should she call my dad?

I realize it was her job. It was also the job of the teacher or teachers who anonymously voiced their concerns, which in turn led the nurse to calling me to her office. And if it weren’t for that last question of whether or not she should call my dad, I would probably have taken this in stride and asked for some antacid, since the urge to vomit had been coming strong all day.

“All right,” the nurse finally said. She went to her desk and started making out the excuse slip. “I hope you know that you are in a safe place. I didn’t call you hear to make you upset, but because some people are concerned about you.”

“Whatever.”

I took the slip, grabbed my backpack and left. I didn’t bother to see if she was offended or if the secretary in the office was bothered by my storming out of the office. I just didn’t care.

Not that I ever really cared what anyone thought of me. But now it was more of a prioritized caring. See, it didn’t matter that I really have been sick for a while. It didn’t matter that I probably did look like I wasn’t getting any sleep, or that I was starting to get just teensy bit skinny because stress was killing my appetite. It didn’t matter because none of these things were the worst of my problems.

I passed Bryce in the hallway. The only person on Earth I could trust, both literally and figuratively. Since the next period had all ready started, I knew had made some excuse to get out of class so he could see if I was all right. I quickly flashed the hall pass at him and mouthed, “later” to let him know I needed to talk to him after school and headed up the stairs without stopping.

We both decided this was the best way. After the incident at hospital just a few short weeks ago Bryce was on what had to be a very uncomfortable fence. On the one hand it was his job to keep an eye on me and report everything to my dad. On the other hand, his “family” was probably making him eat crow for still wanting anything to do with me.

I stopped at the water fountain for a long drink of water. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn’t. To be honest, I wanted to get out of there all together. I only had two more classes to go and the last one was gym. Stuff all of my things in a locker and disappear. No one would notice a dog wandering off campus or a seagull, or a frog. I half suspected they’d notice a bull but I was willing to try it if I could go home.

That’s what stopped me though. My only place to go from school was home. And as I said, home was part of the problem. So I slipped into class, handed my note to the teacher and sat down, ignoring the snickers and the whispered rumors of my classmates. I was never Mr. Popular before becoming an Animorph and that wasn’t changing afterwards. Sure, I could count Bryce as being a friend, but there were times before I found out he was a Chee when I even questioned that relationship since he never gave me the time of day even after I got my ass kicked for sticking up for him.

“Mister -----,” the Ms. Sparrow called my name.

I snapped out of the doze and now there were numbers on the bored. I was supposed to make sense of them.

“Sean, do you have the answer to problem twelve?”

My homework! I went into my backpack and scrambled to find the binder that held my math homework from last night. A choir of snickers and annoyed glare from the front didn’t speed things up any.

“Did you do the assignment?” Sparrow asked.

“Yes, I did,” I stammered as I flipped through the pages, looking in folders and under the folds of the binder covers. Before I could even go into my backpack, Sparrow sighed.

“Well, if you don’t have it you’ll have to finish it in detention, after class.”

“I have it, I just…” and my argument puttered and died about there.

Sparrow repeated her invitation to detention. Students laughed and made comments. I didn’t care. And I don’t just mean I don’t care what anyone thought, I literally didn’t care about anything. I don’t know if it was the lack of sleep, or the constant feeling of being watched or sick but nothing Ms. Sparrow or any of the other students said meant anything to me.

Even at gym, when it was clear I wasn’t very useful at baseball, Mr. Morgan had me sit in the dugout where I pretty much passed out until the final bell was called. The nap helped a bit, but all it did was make me more aware of why I was losing sleep in the first place.

On my way back into the school to serve my detention, Bryce stopped me.

“Your detention is taken care of.” He whispered in my ear.

It took me a few seconds to comprehend what he had said.

“But…are you projecting me in there or something?” I asked.

“No,” Bryce said, smugly as he guided me out of the school.

“But none of the other Chee will help me anymore,” I pointed out. “The guy who usually plays me won’t even acknowledge me when I see him.”

“Right. So I pretended to be you while you were in Gym and I-,” Bryce held up his hands to make air quotes, “found your homework and turned it into Ms. Sparrow. She agreed to let it slide this time but said you need to be better prepared.”

It took me a few minutes to figure out what happened. Sparrow wouldn’t have taken my homework from Bryce.

“You played me?” It was a pretty surprising move.

Yeah, the part that should have been surprising was that Bryce could project a hologram to look like me. But no, I was used to that by now. It’s just that in the time I’ve known him, Bryce has been sort of a stick in the mud for the rules.

“What do your parents think of all of this?” I asked. Bryce’s parents were also Chee and it was the Chee pretending to be Bryce’s father that told me they were done helping me.

“They don’t like it,” Bryce said, matter-of-factly. “But they can’t stop me from helping you either. Erek and a few other Chee are in agreement, but they’re too scattered to do anything useful. So it’s pretty much just you and me, buddy.”

Buddy. There was another word that Bryce hardly ever used. I ignored it though. I was wrong to think I couldn’t trust Bryce earlier and right now I didn’t want him to think I didn’t appreciate what he was doing.

“How is Joey doing with all of this?” Joey was the human boy Bryce’s family adopted. While Joey thought he was being raised by ordinary people, it was actually a small project that a few of the Chee were undertaking to help humanity become less warlike and become better prepared for meeting other alien life. Personally, knowing what I know now, I think it’s a little hypocritical.

Bryce shrugged.

“He knows I was in the hospital, but I can’t tell him why. I try to make time for him and keep things running smoothly between me and the Chee playing my parents, but because I also have to pretend to be a controller with Kullan 926 and report your movements…well, let’s just say I haven’t been a very good brother lately.”

I shook my head. Hearing the reminder that Kullan was getting more and more suspicious of me didn’t help. After all this, you’re probably pretty confused about what the hell I’ve been rambling about.

Well, read on faithful, er, reader.

Offline Vickie1

• DA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
Hm, you've rattled my interest. I like this. I also like this Sean character. A well-balanced character and his personality really shows in this chapter.

It also has intrigued me to read the first fics to know better of the storyline. XD I should have done that first though. In any case, I'll go read them soon and comment them so I hope to see more from ya. :)
My imagination can be both infinite and insane

NateSean

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
Appreciate the review. Both stories can be found here at RAF, but the fanfiction.net versions are more polished and have fewer mistakes (I believe, hehe).

Chapter Two – Sean

Here’s the deal. Aliens exist. They come in peace. Just not the kind of peace you’d be happy with and if you’re lucky, it’s not the kind of peace you’ll be alive to be apart of.

That’s right people. We’re being invaded. But you can forget the great big mother ships that can be easily brought down by a Mac. No, they’re not that obvious. In fact the biggest part of my problem is that these aliens could be anyone, anywhere. Because instead of very human looking creatures with a few bumps on their foreheads, these particular aliens are slugs no bigger than a half dollar. They slip into your ear canal and flatten themselves out, wrapping around your brain and connecting with your software like a floppy disk connects to a standard computer. Only this floppy disk contains an algorithm or a virus or whatever that causes you to lose complete control to the “hacker”.

Alright, no more computer metaphors. In addition to the various human hosts they’ve managed to infest the Yeerks have also conquered the Hork-Bajir, kind of an upright walking lizard with blades on its head arms and legs and Taxxons, giant centipedes with a seemingly endless appetites. Obviously they don’t truck those two out as often or it would be pretty damn obvious that we were being invaded. And since the Yeerks seem to prefer taking their time they’ve been pretty careful about who knows they’re here.

So how do I know about it, you ask?

My dad is an investigative journalist who was getting very close to them. I don’t know what the plan was. Whether it was to infest him and find out what he knew or to kill him out right, but somewhere down the line, he got a call from California where his leads were pointing him to. I came with him.

While he was being dragged into the massive underground Yeerk pool (I think he was dragged. They may full well have used his curiosity to lure him down there.)  I was hanging out at the mall. For those of you who aren’t familiar with me by now, the mall is a place I can get bored with pretty quickly. So rather than safely take the bus back to our hotel, I wandered through a construction site.

There I was nearly infested or killed by controllers (the word for someone who is being “controlled” by a Yeerk”) who were clearing up any leftover evidence that an Andalite had crashed there the night before. We’ll get to the Andalites in a moment. For now it’s important to know that it was thanks to a piece of Andalite technology that I gained the ability to turn into any animal or person that I can touch.

For two hours at a time I can soar in currents of wind with the wings of a seagull, or run with the speed and strength of a bull. I can crawl into tight spaces and perform maneuvers with the body of a centipede that the most advanced roller coaster in the world couldn’t try without ending in some major lawsuits.

Like the Yeerks, I have to deal with the instincts of the animal when I become it. Unlike the Yeerks, I don’t make the bull’s family wonder if they’re safe. The seagull doesn’t watch through my eyes as I manipulate its friends, family and patients and either convince or force them to also become seagulls. I don’t imprison the centipede and drug it so it doesn’t scream out while I bathe in a pool, absorbing the nutrients of the Yeerk’s home sun and getting ready for another three days of doing all those things and more.

My dad has one of them in his head. Every three days a slug crawls from his brain while he is either restrained or sedated. That slug is named Kullan 926. He’s not with the Yeerks who are all ready working to take over Earth, or so he claims. The Yeerks that work with him, like his lieutenant Sestran, refer to him as Visser Six.

Here’s where things get really complicated. Bryce and Erek, alien androids called the Chee built by a race that was exterminated millions of years ago, have infiltrated the Yeerks. And according to them, Visser Six was a Yeerk assigned to a planet far away from Earth. So that means Kullan is either a liar or he’s completely insane. Either way he has plans to thwart Visser Three, the Yeerk in charge of the invasion so that he can take over the Yeerk Empire and presumably the world.

Now do you see where I’m just a little bit edgy?

That’s right. My Dad’s life is being put in danger by some diluted slug I never knew existed. And to top it off, I’m the very enemy of this and all Yeerks on the planet. I haven’t even begun thinking about how I’m going to fight the rest of the Yeerks on this planet and right now the biggest problem sleeps in the bedroom down the hall from mine.

He, Kullan, suspects something. It’s why Bryce pretends to be a controller, so that he can “spy” on me and report my actions to Visser Six. What he has told the “Visser” I don’t know, but it obviously works since I’m still able to write this down. But that doesn’t mean my time as a free human being isn’t slowly running out.

Every morning I put a pop tart in the toaster. I don’t want to eat it, but I have to, because he’s sitting at the table reading the paper as he always does. Or he’s in his office doing research, or typing up an article. Every time I hear the floorboards creak, or the sound of movement coming from his direction, or the rustling of the pages, I have to fight the urge to jump.

If I sweat I pretend it’s the heat, if I toss and turn or I don’t sleep I say I had a nightmare or that I’m worried about a test or a report. If I run to the bathroom, well, you get the picture. I just tell him I ate something bad at lunch.

The excuses are running short. And now, with what Bryce had to tell me, I wasn’t feeling any better. We were walking down a quiet back road that went past a field. It was longer than my usual route home, but I was in no rush to go back there.

“Visser One is coming.”

I stared blankly. It’s not that I didn’t understand the statement. If Visser Three was in charge of the invasion of Earth and Visser Six was below him…Visser One was the boss right? So why wasn’t I happy with figuring that out?

“Okay,” I said. That nausea was making an appearance again.

Bryce gave me a sympathetic look, but he went on.

“Kullan is looking forward to it.”

I stopped and leaned forward. You know that minute or two when your stomach gets a little too noisy and you’re not sure what’s going to happen? Yeah, I was feeling that. That feeling and I were on first name basis.

“Let’s get you some tea,” Bryce suggested. “I wouldn’t push you, but you need to hear this.”

I was in no position to argue with him. But I also wasn’t going into a restaurant feeling the way I did. So I let him lead me to a coffee shop and I sat on a bench outside while he went in to order. Tea isn’t my beverage of choice, but I’ll admit, the stuff he ordered did sooth my stomach. It was also sweet, which gave me a small boost.

“This is good,” I said, thanking him. “What is it?”

“Chai.” Bryce sipped his own tea. He didn’t need to eat, but his body good either destroy or repurpose food and liquids. “Not as good as the stuff I used to make for the Emperor of China in 1299, but it does the trick.”

We found a spot beneath the shade at the deer park, near the Veteran’s home. The weather was still warm but the Tastee Freeze across the highway was closed for the season. The park was mostly empty except for a mother and her children were feeding the deer through the fence and maybe an elderly person walking the grounds, but no one was close enough to bother us. We were just two polite kids who had just gotten out of school and were spending a relaxing afternoon in the park.

“How strong do you think the bucks are?” I asked, idly.

“Not strong enough for what you have in mind,” Bryce said. “And the ones in the pen are so used to being fed and cared for that I don’t think you’d be able to run very far with one. You’d be better off trying to aquire a wild deer.”

“True.”

When it was clear that I wouldn’t be returning the tea anytime soon, Bryce went on, quietly so we wouldn’t be overheard.

“Most of what I have is from Erek,” he explained. “Visser One is the one who discovered Earth and began it’s invasion. She left it to Visser Three after she received the official promotion and now this is a routine visit.”

“Okay,” I said, following closely. “Now why is Kullan interested in this? Is it an assassination thing? Kill to Vissers high ranking Vissers in one blow?”

Bryce shook his head.

“I don’t know the whole story. Kullan doesn’t tell me everything and Sestran is even more tight lipped. Any Yeerks he manages to recruit from Visser Three are quickly put into the pools to breed and the ones who reinfest the hosts report whatever information the previous Yeerk buried in their minds. Those Yeerks are starved out pretty quickly so that only Kullan and Sestran know about it.”

“Kullan tells them things.” I remembered the hospital when I had morphed into a Hork-Bajir. They controllers were surprised when I, using the thought speak that I could use when I was in morph, ordered them out of the line of fire. A few of them knew that Andalites could morph but their understanding was mostly ignorant. “He’s like some cult leader who raises kids in some compound and only tells them how the world works from his perspective.”

“Most of them are, like children.” Bryce agreed. “Except for the ones he specifically singles out, like the former Sub-Visser Five.”

I shuttered. What was it like for my dad, I wondered? Seeing and feeling his hand kill innocent people but knowing that he wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger. What was it like for all of those people, human, Taxxon and Hork-Bajir?

Bryce went on. “Kullan is planning to steal a bug fighter. He trusts me enough to report to him without deceiving him, but I don’t know what his intentions are with Visser One or how he’s going to get the bug fighter. As is, if he knew I was able to tap into his discussion with Sestran he would have me killed.”

I took a long sip of tea before I spoke again. It was getting to the point where the very name Kullan was causing me to get sick. As I drank, a thought came to me.

“Erek doesn’t know much either, I take it.” I said.

Bryce caught the tone of my voice. It was subtle but he knows me well enough to know when I’m about to do something stupid. Strangely enough he didn’t try to protest.

“Obviously Visser Three doesn’t care what his subordinates on Earth do, as long as they don’t royally screw up. But Erek isn’t high up enough to know anything without the same risks.”

“But Sestran knows everything Kullan does. Is Sestran going with Kullan?”

“No. Sestran is planning a lock in at a small church in New Hampshire. By morning he hopes to have more new hosts.”

I got up and walked over to the fence. Bryce followed closely so he wouldn’t have to yell.

“What’s the plan?” He asked. “I’ll help you anyway I can.”

It’s strange. As I explained the rough draft of what I had in mind and listened to Bryce’s input, the nausea started to go away. Now it all hinged on when Kullan was planning to make his move.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:35:47 AM »
Dude, I haven't popped in here in ages. Gonna have to back track and read what Sean and The Chee have been up to...

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
Can't believe I missed this, really liking it so far. Looking forward to hearing Sean's plan.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

NateSean

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
Ouch, November was a while back wasn't it? I better get this out of mothballs soon.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
I've been known to go years without updating my fics so I wouldn't worry about it. :P
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!