Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #52 The Sacrifice  (Read 4116 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #52 The Sacrifice
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
Synopsis
Everyone has nightmares. But what happens when the nightmares are real?
It's finally happened. The Yeerks have begun rounding up humans, and producing Controllers in mass. The fight for Earth is racing towards the end, but the Animorphs aren't ready to lose. Not yet. They still have one move, one target they've been after from the beginning. And there's no alternative. It's time to destroy the Yeerk Pool....

Questions
   1. That last new morph we see Ax utilize is the raccoon. What did you think of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a raccoon to be like?

2. Thoughts on the Yeerks rounding up host, and the end of covert operations?

3. Turns out Ax has been communicating with the Andalite military, who are ready to let the Yeerks move in so they can wipe out the planet. What do you think about this decision from the Andalite perspective? What about from the perspective of an inhabitant of Earth?

4. At long last the Animorphs have destroyed the Yeerk pool. Any thoughts on finally achieving this objective? Cassie voices numerous concerns about the plan: were they valid points? Would you have agreed on this strategy to hurt the Yeerks?

5. Though never bestest friends, Ax and Rachel have worked together many times throughout the span of the series. What do you think of their relationship in this book and throughout the series? Do they work well together? What do you think of their perspectives and concerns of one another throughout the books?

6. Ax mentions that on the spectrum of human behavior, Cassie and Rachel are stark opposites, but the Cassies of the world could be much more dangerous. Do you agree? Why?

7. This book makes headway in the idea of giving Yeerks the choice of using morphing to avoid parasitism. In general, what do you think of this idea as a solution to the Yeerk conflict?

8. The Animorphs adopt a new slogan in this book "Fight the Yeerks, don't become them." What do you think of this guideline? At this point in the war, how important is it to retain such ideals? What do you think of them refusing to attack an enemy mid-morph?

9. This is the last book given by only Ax's point of view. In what ways has he changed since his introduction? How sizable has his impact been throughout the series? What did you like and dislike about Ax? What more would you have seen done with this character?

10. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

11. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #53 The Answer
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #52 The Sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
Quote roundup:

"The Yeerks' plan is to use Earth as a hub planet. Here they can potentially acquire millions of host bodies. A massive force of
humanControllers will enable them to effectively push out into other galaxies." <- if the Yeerks win Earth, they can get billions, right? Do they need any more planets?

The goal is irrelevant. I thought you knew that, Jake, but apparently . . ."
"Apparently you decided to start making decisions for me!" Jake shouted back. "Somewhere along the line you decided that you knew what was best. For me. For everybody. Well, guess what?" <- Jake assumes he gets to be the one who knows best (even though just recently he said he didn't really care about being the leader.

<What is SPAM?> I asked.
Marco shrugged. <That's what a lot of people would like to know.> <- d'aw, Minnesotan.

"Cassie's going," Jake said. "If there are tough decisions to be made along the way, I want Cassie to make them. She's as close as I can get to going myself. <- Cassie once again the voice of morality? But Jake willing to risk her.

"No offense, Cassie," Marco said. "But I think it should be me or Ax." <- Marco is afraid Cassie will sacrifice herself.

<You are welcome,> I answered. Then to myself, I mentally added, <Prince Jake.> <- why does Ax not say Prince Jake aloud? Does he finally know Jake doesn't care? Does he no longer recognize him as his authority after 46?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
I always took the Prince Jake there as a show of respect: still acknowledging him as leader, but respecting his personal wish of just being "Jake". (Which isn't possible of course but :P)

1. I find raccoons surprisingly amusing. Mean, capable, and some of the smartest animals you'll find, in my experience. Not a lot of use as a morph, because if you see one, it can't be for long less it's put to rest. In imagining it, I picture something like a less delicate kitten, or a non lazy cat, without the agility. Nothing particularly envy inducing in its form, but a life and mind of inquisition.

2. Finally. Another of those heavy final arc turn of events. For the story its the best indicator so far the end is near, and I've done all my rants about why not before now, so I'm glad its come to, not an abrupt end, but a change in methods that takes us there.

3. Yeah, making the good guy a *** adds depth, but man, having done this so many times, it's hard to remember ever liking these guys.  All their sufferage doesn't make it understandable, it makes it less understandable. Half of their fight was to clean up their mess, and yet despite all the things these six have done for them, they still give no help, and would murder the world. Lame. Obviously I'm biased, I said rather different about the Hork-Bajir war, but if 40 years of war makes you no wiser, no more capable, well then *** you Andalites.

4. Yet again, it took time to see how much was leading to this, but that makes it all the sweeter. Bittersweet, but by far the biggest blow dealt either way in a long, long war. Great moment. Cassie was right, lot of innocents at risk, and it's much more bitter when you think about it, but this was an incredible moment in the series, and I can't see how I could object to it.

5. This is surprisingly complicated to me. Of all of them aside from Jake, Rachel seems to be able to order Ax at times without persuading. Early on you could note respect from Ax, but by this point it's near loathing, and I think it's a cross of Ax's character, and the derogation of Rachel's that allows it. I'm sure they care deeper than either lets on, but so much is lost in the indifference from Rachel, the dislike from Ax, that this is the one relationship in the group I would call professional rather than personal.

6. Completely agree, because I've yet to see an act with a mass scale effect that wasn't built on good intentions. Good of course is objective, but believe fully that people are assured that exterminating this group or destroying this concept is in the overall best interest of everyone. Rare for someone who wants to do bad for bad, but that's not the Rachels, that's action without regard consequence, while Cassies are consequence through action. The action can be either, but the arrogance of assuming the result in advance leads to devastation.

7. I think it's ridiculous non of these hyper intelligent aliens figured this out in the last 40 years.  Still I refuse, or at least don't want to believe that most Yeerks loathe the pools so much that they'd abandon their race forever. (Also don't know if I like that message to a youth reader. I don't like to draw messages from stories, but I do notice that it could be there.)

8. Their last life line to retain their humanity in a desperate time. Understandable, but at this point, not a top priority. Ethics are so annoying, because while I find it respectable not to attack a helpless foe, allowing him to arm himself is dumb too. But imo, more dumb than respectable.

9. In some respects Ax is the most important character, having skills that all the others lack and can not compensate for. In all but one of his books, he has dealings with his people, and the one thing that has never changed is his ambiguity about the military. He KNOWS all the horrors they permit, but he never gives up that loyalty, not entirely, and that's the thing I dislike about Ax the most. Though he's narratives on humans are never spot on, that's how stories go. Humans are too much to know in 54 books. He's tough, he's funny, he's good for exposition, and all in all Ax is a great feature to Animorphs, group and books.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Redtailednothlit

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:24:48 AM »
I would have liked to have seen more of  the Ax/Tobias friendship, particularly when Tobias tells Ax he is Elfangor's son. Apart from that, I think Ax's character is well done, well fleshed out, and to be honest everything he does is exactly what I expected of him.

I find it interesting that at the beginning of the series, Marco often comments on how Rachel and Ax are perfect for each other, because they have very similar views on the destruction of Yeerks. But by the end of it, Ax strongly dislikes Rachel. Even he sees there is a limit, and Rachel has overstepped it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:27:21 AM by Redtailednothlit »

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:47 AM »
With the Yeerk Pool destroyed, this would have been a good time to mobilize the Chee to offer Yeerks Kandrona radiation (which they can produce with their own bodies, according to Erek in Book 10) in return for them switching sides.