Author Topic: Group Re-read 2.0 #1 The Invasion  (Read 7857 times)

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
Re: Group Re-read 2.0 #1 The Invasion
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
   1. Any thoughts to share on the major characters, Animorphs and aliens, as they appeared in this book? Does anyone stand out as a good development into or contrast from how they appear in later books?
KA writes all the characters fairly well in this book. (Well she has to - Premier Animorph book and everything!) There's the right amount of attention given to all the characters appropriate from Jake's perspective. The jitters and nerves as they plan to storm the Yeerk Pool for the first time is lifelike. The unpreparedness not even having tried to practice morph their "battle morphs" is very consistent with their lack of experience. To them this is the mission that could well be their last, no need to return to the Yeerk Pool. Their naivete is very fitting for the beginning of their guerilla war and is great development later on.

There's a clear establishment of Marco and Rachel's difference of sacrifice that carries true all the way through to the series finale. Marco clearly considers his family more so than Rachel. Rachel who wouldn't deliberately say "To hell with what my family will think" but is willing to sacrifice herself more easily than Marco. Tobias is similar to Rachel, he clearly believes that he has nothing to lose yet when it comes to the battle Rachel is the first to eagerly fight even though Tobias has been the one pushing for it but only distracts one enemy.

Not too much to say about Jake that hasn't already said about his leadership skills. It's clearly very obvious to everyone that Jake is the deciding factor for their decisions. Cassie is the psychological glue that keeps the group from slipping apart whilst Jake is the foundations that everyone relies on. A constant theme throughout the series.  The first clear sign (in the mission) that without Cassie the team starts to unstick is when Marco offhandedly insults Tobias and immediately afterwards Tobias flies away leaving Jake calling after him, potentially alerting more controllers sooner.

3. What do you think of Jake's reaction to the mere suggestion that his brother is a controller, in addition to the fact? Is it important that Jake has a personal investment in the fight from book 1?
Without Tom being involved they might not have become aware of the Sharing so early on. They wouldn't have gone to the Sharing, Cassie wouldn't be caught sneaking around, then would not be brought to the Pool. All this I think merely delays the inevitable that Jake would have realised that there is much more at stake than simply ignoring the ability to morph.

For KA Tom is a catalyst that speeds up the beginning but it's an inevitability that Jake would have been involved. He would regret letting Tobias go off on his own considering Rachel would go too which would also drag Cassie into it too. He's not like Marco and can ignore so many of his friends risk their lives whilst he sits back and pretends nothing is happening. An alternative is that one of them gets caught and then they all become involved as they try to escape and survive individually and then as a team.

4. What are your thoughts on Tobias being trapped as a hawk? Do you think it was intentional, a horrible accident, or a convenient mistake?
KA deliberately wrote Tobias to be trapped. For Tobias morphing is his first chance at escape from the depressing life that he lives. He is clearly described to be glowing as if for the first time in his life something good has happened. To bring the story back down to Earth he can't be "too happy". There has to be a catch.

As for if he deliberately got stuck as a hawk I don't think so. He's not stupid enough to think that being a hawk is all he'll ever need, he was the main proponent for fighting the Yeerks to begin with. What happened was he didn't leave in time to escape. You could ask, "Surely he could find somewhere to morph?" but I think he couldn't because he was scared of getting caught and the Yeerks were already on high alert. By the time he could get out it was too late, he was ignorantly, already in morph before they even got to the Pool.

A "convenient mistake" would mean that his life would have been better as a hawk than as a morph capable person. I'm not sure this would ever have been the case. Sure he didn't have to go to school any more and he could spend time doing whatever he wanted but there is no denying his usefulness being morph capable. Going to school like the other Animorphs is a small price to pay for having another person able to morph.

6. Piggybacking on the last two questions: what do you think of the decision of storming the enemy stronghold armed with a few combat morphs, a horse and a bird? Particularly, is it acceptable to let Tobias be "happy with just [his] hawk morph" by either him or Jake?
It was reckless and very childlike. Isn't that what they are? As it has been mentioned they were ridiculously lucky (ass pull) to have escaped with their lives never mind freeing someone. They had planned to break into the Yeerk pool but that was it. What were they going to do afterwards with their hoped-for freed people? As mentioned, they hadn't even practised with their combat morphs. It really shows just how naive as young kids they were but this goes really well with their development as they grow into guerilla warriors, soldiers and leaders.

8. Would you have done it? When you were thirteen, or even now, would you agree to get involved in a war, to be carried on in secret against impossible odds with the fate of the world in sway, to possess the powers of anything you touch, at the urging of a dying alien. Would you personally have been willing to become an Animorph?
I think so. As a child it's so easy to think in black and white. Really easy to decide that suddenly something is the most important thing in the world. Then suddenly they realise gymnastics, basketball and maths are not their biggest problems. Unlike in fiction however as a kid I'm sure I'd have been captured or worse. (Dead worse than controller, can't come back from that.)

As an adult (ha!) it's a good question... Unlike as a kid when school isn't something you can just quit without affecting your family too, adults can always quit their jobs and fight the good fight full time. Being morph capable and in a sense "above the law" really opens some alleyways. If you bear in mind that technology has also improved (CCTVs, camera-phones, forensics etc) so it'd be more difficult to get away with morphing in public or attacks against Yeerk strongholds, it would definitely be much harder.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline matthew

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
1. For the most part, as in many of the early books, the characters are black and white, good and bad.  When I think of that, I think of  Visser Three and how much of a regular old, boring villian he is here.  There`s not really much character development here because everyone is being introduced.

2. The basic premise has FAIL written all over it.  It is what KA does with it that makes this series so good.  I`m really not sure if I would have picked up on this series if I was not youngish when I started.  I never have explained the books to other people, which is a good thing because I would do an epic fail at it.

3. Jake`s reaction is totally understandable, because his idol turns out to be the enemy. I don`t think he would have stayed committed to the fight if Tom wasn`t a controller.  It is what keeps him going in the beginning.

4. I think that it was a was on purpose and an accident combined.  Tobias was put in the situation, and I think he just let it go, if that makes sense.

5. Like someone said before, Jake had a natural ability to lead.  But he doesn`t quite know what he is dealing with or what he is doing.  The Animorphs were lucky that Visser Three was a moron, or else they would have died by the end of this book.

6. It was a pretty bad idea to attack with those morphs.  Of course, they didn`t know what they were dealing with.  Having Tobias as a hawk was a terrible idea.  He should have gotten a real battle morph. *ducks*

7. I don`t really know, but I would assume it was portrayed somewhat accurately because I know KA met with some people that knew that kind of stuff.

8. Nope, I probably would have panicked and been killed or infested when I blurted it out to some controller.

9. Most of it is from memory.

10. Rating: This book just introduces everything. It does have some good moments like Tom trying to kill Visser Three in his Fire Monster of Doom morph with his fists.  The only real problem is the occasional blah-i-ness. For example, Visser Three. Enough said.  Animorphs does get off to a good start, however.  Number One The Invasion gets a 4/5

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »
I re-read this book few days ago. It's one of the best, imho. It's the longest book of the normal series, and it introduces almost everything : the Animorphs, the four basic alien races (andalites, yeerks, hork-bajir, taxxon), the only two important human-controller (Tom and Chapman), the main villain, the Sharing, the Zoo, Wildlife clinic, bug fighter, blade ship, dracon beams, kandrona, yeerk pool, blue box,...and there are the first morphs, the first battle, first raid in the yeerk pool, first capture, first encounter with Visser III and his alien morphs, Tobias trapped in hawk morph.

Besides, in this book there are some unique situations : a brief overview of jake, rachel, tobias, cassie, marco as normal kids, Tobias totally human, the only time we can see Tom free in the series, the only appearance of Elfangor together with the animorphs.

Well, first time I read, almost 14 years ago, probably I didn't like it very much, but then, when I re-read it some months later, I loved it. I think it's probably because I really liked animals at the time, and it was amazing to read about kids who become animals. 

Re-reading it after so many years, I noticed something I didn't the first time : with the hindsight, there were clear signs that Tobias was going to become a nothlit. And the relationship between rachel and tobias basically starts here...I erroneously remembered that it began later in the series.
I think this is the only book that could be a movie alone.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
With just on 9 weeks till this wraps up, I'm gonna start answering my own bloody questions:

1. On this last read, no one really stands out as a character. Visser Three seems slightly more cheesey, but the rest of them, especially the kids just didn't come off as fleshed out at all in this, and really the next book. Could kinda feel that KA hadn't hit her stride yet. Correction: Elfangor comes off sorta larger than life, but once we get TAC that's totally undone so.... One other thing: Hork-Bajir also didn't vibe with me as fighters in this book, but Taxxons were almost cartoonish. It's really not until we start getting Taxxon POV in TAC that I start take them seriously.

2. I know it's a war story, but that's not how it sells, especially this early. I love the animal morphing, and think the body stealing works really well to keep the fight longer without feeling dragged out.  In the past I've explained it based on abilities of both sides, but never able to articulate the depth that comes later. Which is why I've only sold one person on them, and that was only temporary

3. I was surprised by the aggression. Disbelieve or upset or denial I expected, in my mind aggression is too close to acknowledgment, and I didn't think he could acknowledge it when Marco suggested it. And then he goes to upset when it's proven. Weird.  It's great for the story that he had such a personal investment, but a part of me feels that it wasn't what it could have been because a)Marco had a similar situation and b)Jake had to deal with leadership.  I think Tom really should have been bigger in Jake's books later, since all the while they were still under the same roof. It would have been great to have Tom show up as a ranking antagonist for more than just the end-lot of lost opportunities there.

4. I'll call it convenient mistake for now. I think it stupid he went in morphed, odd he didn't at least try to get out while hidden, but given that was their first run, understandable that he loose track and not want to risk too much more.

5. Jake doesn't do anything to impress me as a leader yet, but I really do feel for him already. What and how he's fighting is completely novel and so much more than anyone else, really ever, has had to bear. I think he gets off on a lot of luck, but as lame as it sounds he's at his best, as a leader and story teller, when he trust himself (mostly). It's too early for him to do those long internal monologues about the pangs of leadership-which is good. In some of his books they are overdone

6. I can pardon Jake since it's this early on, but Tobias? He says he wants to fight, and he goes in only with bird? That continues to frustrate me, and makes really wonder about his being trapped. He's not a fighter by nature, but you don't need to be to know that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Also, wtf where he and Cassie doing at The Gardens?!

7. I love the portrayal of this morph above all others in the series. Deadly, elegant, symbolic, respected by his enemies, and the acquiring scene is one of my favorites. Maybe it's my own misgivings, I've had cats my whole life but I still think this is one of the ones she really got right in attitude and ability. Tiger in this series really blows me away. That said, I do think there must be some exaggerations. Somewhere later it says a tiger out does a Hork-Bajir in close quarters, and I don't see how a HB couldn't bring blades to bear on a large cat.

8. Of course I can't know what I'd do, but I really think I would not have stuck around. Seeing the ship I would have retreated, as a kid gone screaming for help, and now probably just watch it from a distance. At worst take the morphing power and run,  at best I'd hear him out, but probably would bail if I got out of the first fight alive.

9. Haven't read the reprints, but it's nice they're cleaning up them up. Series deserves some attention to detail.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Adam

• British
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Animorphs Fic Writer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »
Since I have been re-reading the series (now upto 13), I may aswell give my reviews of these books.

Questions
   1. Any thoughts to share on the major characters, Animorphs and aliens, as they appeared in this book? Does anyone stand out as a good development into or contrast from how they appear in later books?

Due to the huge amount of information and the number of events within the book, there was obviously little space to really get indepth into the characters. However, there is just enough development that we already know what kind of characters they represent. Further character development would have to wait for later books.

As mentioned plenty of times, things start off rather cliched and black-and-white. The good guy alien is brutally murdered by the evil alien, and little back story is given to either side. Visse Three comes across as a sort of James Bond villain. He is totally 100% evil here, complete with evil laughs. The Hork-Bajir and Taxxons are only really physically described, and Elfangor provided only the briefest bit of info for both. The Taxxons never really developed to more than "big disgusting canniballistic worms throughout the series. Elfangor's insistance of pity for the Hork-Bajir is pretty much disregarded by the Animorphs until later on in the series, and until then, they are just seen as deadly shock troops.

Tom is shown as a typical big brother, at least in Jake's head, and his portrayal as a controller is developed quite well, and gives a good idea of how controllers act.

2. In general, what do you think of the premise of the series: Kids fighting body stealing aliens by turning into animals?  If you weren't already a fan do you think you'd be drawn to a story set on this notion? How do you explain the books to those who haven't read them?

Nowadays, I wouldn't give it a read, based on the premise. The again, even when I read the series for the first time, I was not the premise but the book covers that started me reading!

To explain to other people, all I have to say is that it is a lot more complex and thought-provoking than one might think. They are well-written and had a great influence on my life. The premise seems a little silly when put so simply, but it is pulled off beautifully.

3. What do you think of Jake's reaction to the mere suggestion that his brother is a controller, in addition to the fact? Is it important that Jake has a personal investment in the fight from book 1?

The Animorphs need a reason to take up such a big burden, and the loss of a family member to the Yeerks provides a realistic reason for them to fight.

Jake's reaction is probably what you would expect, but from now on, Jake takes bad news much more calmly, and I think starting a fight was a little out of character.

4. What are your thoughts on Tobias being trapped as a hawk? Do you think it was intentional, a horrible accident, or a convenient mistake?

I don't think we'll ever really know what was going on in Tobias' head. His approach to the idea of war with the Yeerks seemed enthusiastic, definitely moreso than any of the other characters at this point, so deliberately trapping himself in a morph and basically removing himself from the fight seems strange.

Of all the characters, he got the most development, I believe.

5. Each of the Animorphs assumes a certain role in the group, and Jake is clearly defined as the leader. What do you think of Jake as a leader in this book? Has he done anything in this book that merits or tests this position for him in your mind?

The appointment of Jake as a leader comes from out of nowhere, and is explained because "he just is". He does little to merit it at this point, and this remains until later in the series. I think giving him a leader position is something that should have been earned later on. Saying that, as the series progresses, it becomes obvious that he was the right choice - Rachel is far too gung ho and often seems to abuse the morphing power, Cassie struggles with important decisions, Marco initially doesn't even want to fight, and Tobias is stuck as a hawk, and seems rather unstable.

6. Piggybacking on the last two questions: what do you think of the decision of storming the enemy stronghold armed with a few combat morphs, a horse and a bird? Particularly, is it acceptable to let Tobias be "happy with just [his] hawk morph" by either him or Jake?

The Animorphs, at this stage, had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and only when they entered the Yeerk pool did it start to dawn on them. They weren't prepared, and the mission was a failure. Understandably, the following missions were a lot smaller in scale, and it would be a while before they took on the Yeerk pool again.

Again, with Tobias, they were naive and didn't realise how unprepared they were. This mission was just a huge learning curve.

7.  In this book Jake acquires and uses his signature Siberian Tiger. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or does she exaggerate? What do you envision the experience of being a tiger to be like?

As we know, Applegate was never a Tiger. Then again, neither have any of us (I hope). She could only make educated guesses as to the "feel" of any particular species, but I feel that she did a good job.

8. Would you have done it? When you were thirteen, or even now, would you agree to get involved in a war, to be carried on in secret against impossible odds with the fate of the world in sway, to possess the powers of anything you touch, at the urging of a dying alien. Would you personally have been willing to become an Animorph?

I would feel like it was my duty! I wouldn't like it, but when my species needs me, etc...

9. Have you recently read the original, the reprint, or did you do this from memory?

I read the original from an e-book over a week ago.

10. Anything else?

Overall, the book is an adequate scene-setter. It gives enough information to keep readers interested, but at this stage there isn't enough space to flesh everything out. This book is a skeleton, basically. Some things take a few more books to develop, and some aren't addressed until much later on, when the series blurs the lines between black and white.
Check out my Animorphs fan-fiction on this site!
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=9858.0

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »
I need to start rereading these!
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »

I think so. As a child it's so easy to think in black and white. Really easy to decide that suddenly something is the most important thing in the world. Then suddenly they realise gymnastics, basketball and maths are not their biggest problems. Unlike in fiction however as a kid I'm sure I'd have been captured or worse. (Dead worse than controller, can't come back from that.)

As an adult (ha!) it's a good question... Unlike as a kid when school isn't something you can just quit without affecting your family too, adults can always quit their jobs and fight the good fight full time. Being morph capable and in a sense "above the law" really opens some alleyways. If you bear in mind that technology has also improved (CCTVs, camera-phones, forensics etc) so it'd be more difficult to get away with morphing in public or attacks against Yeerk strongholds, it would definitely be much harder.
[/quote]

I imagine that fully adult Animorphs would have practiced their battle morphs before assaulting the Yeerk Pool, so might have escaped with Tom!