Author Topic: [Req] RAFian faithfulness bonus  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
[Req] RAFian faithfulness bonus
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »
I was thinking if it would be possible to program in a bonus for RAFians who have loyally been here for longer. This bonus doesn't have to be considerable but it could be something small like an extra 5 more message capacity for every year that you have joined RAF. It would make sense to award members annually on the day that they first registered.

I'm aware that there are some lurkers who will get this benefit too but if they don't come online that often then they might not check or get messages very often either so I don't see that this faithfulness incentive will cause too much server upset. The only thing that may be a downside to this idea could be it's implementation. I'm not sure how skilled a programmer we have working for RAF.

I also considered annual karma increases and activity/insanity increases. Karma could also be a nice benefit for continued RAF loyalty. Lurkers who have never posted before might be encouraged to post more to get more karma. However activity/insanity increases is very short-term and may seem a little irrelevant for lurkers.

So anyway, I'd like to hear some thoughts about this idea. Thanks!
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

esplin

Re: [Req] RAFian faithfulness bonus
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »
A noble idea.  You will find that only money talks for things of that nature though.  If you donate 50$ you'll get unlimited messages, access to the d lounge,  a fancy gold name, and 10 karma or maybe 50 that figure has changed since I last cared I think.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:26 AM »
It's a nice idea in theory, but I'm not so sure it would work well in practice. If lurkers haven't posted by now that's their loss and I doubt any bonus is going to get them active. As for people who actively post, they are already rewarded as their ranks increase and get to enjoy new benefits. Anything new on top of that might make the newer or less active members feel inferior.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Aquilai

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
What benefits are there? I currently only know that there are benefits if you donate. Perhaps a name change if your (official) post count is above 200 and that's from hearsay (I haven't tried changing my name).

About the lurkers getting more email capacity as well I didn't really expect it would get them to post more. However it doesn't diminish the efforts of newer posters because the increase is so low. Technically time spent online would be a better indicator in that case rather than how long since RAFians have registered. Or if you would prefer something overly complex then it would include multiple variables. Still I think you would agree it would be nice for RAFians who use the website more to get more benefits over time.
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

Offline Aquilai

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
Thanks +1. That is pretty concise!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »

I plan to donate at some point, but first I must know: Who GETS the actual donation? And where does it go? For charity? I have no objection to doing something for charity AND getting newer privileges.

BTW, what does insanity level mean?! I keep asking and no one will tell me..

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »

I plan to donate at some point, but first I must know: Who GETS the actual donation? And where does it go? For charity? I have no objection to doing something for charity AND getting newer privileges.

BTW, what does insanity level mean?! I keep asking and no one will tell me..

This blog post will answer your first question in a much better way than I could. Give it a read.

Insanity Level is just our zany name for your 'Activity Bar' - your 'insanity' level is the same as your activity level. Post more and watch it go up :)
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »

Ok. Thanks for the link. I don't care much about posting, as you may have noticed, but I am trying to get more active on the board.