Author Topic: The Price of Peace  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
The Price of Peace
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »
this another one of my short stories, i really like it, but nobody else seems to, so hopefully you guys will like it

The Price of Peace
“President Grkshmet,” my assistant said, entering my office. I turned to him; he was average height for a Gorakian, about four and a half feet tall, he had blue skin, bright pink hair, and his bottom hands were holding a laser.
“Yes Kelton?” I asked, hoping that he would bring me good news.
“The press said they will be there in four hours to hear your speech, both Gorakian and human. Everyone is of course under strict orders not to attack the human press, and we have a few of your personal guards on duty to protect them,” he responded. I smiled, it was good news. Soon my speech would reach everyone on the planet, human and Gorakian. “Also, sir, the human president should be here in about ten minutes, I’ll make sure that she comes down to your office safely.”
“Thank you Kelton, if you have nothing more to say, you may leave.”
“Thank you sir,” he said. He then bowed, and left my office.
I stared in the mirror and sighed. I ran my top left hand through my green hair and closed my eyes. The human president was finally coming to Stonehenge to discuss the peace treaty.
300 years ago, after planet Gorak was destroyed, our people came to the only habitable planet we had seen, Earth. Though primitive, the humans had managed to create cities all around the planet. We had placed beacons on Earth during our stay before the Ice Age. Stonehenge and the Pyramids are just two of the many that we had made. We wanted these territories back.
Our people waged war and managed to take back the human lands known as Great Britain and Egypt, and to regain our capitol building under Stonehenge and our press building at the Pyramids, but the humans outnumbered us by such a great number that even our superior technology couldn’t compete with them. The war had turned out to be a stalemate after our conquest of these two territories; both sides had lost many good soldiers and this war was simply a bloodbath. A knock at the door made me flinch.
 “Enter,” I said, and the human president walked in the door with Kelton and two of her guards, each armed with primitive rifles. “Ah, President Pierson, please sit down.”
“Good afternoon President Grkshmet,” she said. She shook my hand and then went to sit at the table. I pressed the button to activate the recording device and began to speak.
“Descal the fifth, 90025. August the third, 2321. Now recording the peace conference between President Grkshmet of the Gorakians and President Sarah Pierson of the humans.” I turned to speak to the human. “President Pierson, in order to have peace between our people we must begin by discussing border issues. Our people want the territories that you call Africa, Europe and Asia.”
“I’m sorry but we cannot give you these territories. We’ll give you Africa, but that’s all we can do, and we need you to give us back Great Brit-”
“President Pierson, I take that offer as an insult. Our people were on this planet thousands of years before yours, and just because the Ice Age made us leave doesn’t mean that it isn’t ours. We need to have half of the planet at least. Neither of us wants this war to continue.”
She sighed, “What about this deal, we will let you keep Britain, give you the rest of Africa, and you can have all of the land in between,” she offered.
I knew there was no way I could have gotten Asia, so I played my trump card and tried to get what I really wanted. “Give us all of Europe and Africa. That is our final offer, President Pierson.”
 “I th- I wa- uhh uhh.” She sighed. “All right, fine, you have a deal. So our borders have been set.” The conference continued for another hour as we discussed the technicalities. I shut off the recorder and said goodbye to President Pierson as she left my office.
 I looked at the clock; I had two and a half hours until the press would be here. I thought that would have given me enough time to write the speech and rehearse it one or two times, but I finished the speech later than I thought and only had ten minutes until I needed to meet with the press. I ran out the door with my speech in hand so I could make it to the shield ship and fly to the pyramids. I got to the shield ship with Kelton waiting for me, tapping the clock on his top left wrist. He ushered me into the ship.
I made it there with seconds to spare and I scrambled up the steps of the Pyramids to the podium. I looked down at the crowd and saw Gorakian holographic cameras and the human video cameras. Sweat dripped down my face as I watched nervously. I looked down at my notes and began to speak.
“People of Earth, for centuries our people have been at war, and to what purpose?” This question caused many of the Gorakians around the desert to shout out. “This war has become a bloodbath for Gorakians and humans alike! The elected leaders of our fine nations have decided upon an alternative for peace!” Murmurs were heard from the crowd from the Gorakians talking to each other. “The human president has agreed to split our planet in order to have peace. The humans will keep the territories Asia, North America, South America and Australia. The Gorakians will get the territories of Europe and Africa.” I continued my speech for a few more minutes until I finally ended it with “I hope that this will allow our people to become allies in the future.” Cheers were heard from the crowd as I started to step down the long stairs of the Pyramids. I got to about halfway down the steps and collapsed. I smelt the searing flesh before I felt the hot laser blast through my chest. I looked up and saw the bottom hands of a Gorakian holding a laser gun.
“Why?” I asked my attacker through short breaths as I tried to hang on to the last seconds of my life.
“We can never have peace, Grkshmet. This planet is ours, there is no way for us to share it with these pathetic primitives,” I heard my attacker say. His voice sounded so familiar, but I was fading quickly. I used my last ounce of strength to look up at the face of my attacker. A single tear fell down my cheek seconds before I died. The last thing I saw before my death, was the face of Kelton.

RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline ANna

• I see you.
  • God
  • guess who's back ?
Re: The Price of Peace
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:42:24 PM »
Wow. I liked this one better than the artist one. Don't know why no one else seems to like it. It's pretty deep, great writing too. You definately should write some more stuff, coz your great.
I can still remember the words and what they meant.
As we etched them with our fingers, In years of wet cement.
--
And I feel tonight that I let you die, but you could've lived forever it's the smiles that keep you alive.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
thanks, i can keep adding random crap that i wrote in writer's craft, but it will get steadily worse
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline ANna

• I see you.
  • God
  • guess who's back ?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
yay! coz those two stories were awesome.
I can still remember the words and what they meant.
As we etched them with our fingers, In years of wet cement.
--
And I feel tonight that I let you die, but you could've lived forever it's the smiles that keep you alive.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
I LOVE that you used a female president.
I LOVE that this resembles something that Card, Bradbury, or Asimov could have written (albeit with a different style of wording).
Well done!
I read a LOT of Sci-Fi short stories, so my compliment ought to mean something, I think. :)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time