Author Topic: Starting Topics just for Karma, Irrelevant/ Duplicate/ Identical topics  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Ummmn...okay, I know that this is an odd topic for ME, of all people, to be making, considering my already-made-too-many-topics status (which I am NOT trying to defend. I write topics so that people will post more and keep the site active, and I can enjoy tossing around opinions. I need no ulterior motives.), but...

I've seen SEVERAL cases of topics that are LITERALLY IDENTICAL to other topics, including the name and author.

This goes a bit beyond just creating irrelevant duplicates of an existing topic, I think.

Does anyone else notice this?
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Starting Topics just for Karma, Irrelevant/ Duplicate/ Identical topics
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
several...not quite...but i have seen cases of this.

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »
yeah, I think that should count as spamming, when people post the same thing over and over instead of just using the board that's already there first about it.  Or creating multiple threads on the exact same topic.  I just think it's kinda rude
Not all who wander are lost

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
well some cases I guess, could be understandable, like if the person is new and doesn't know there's already a thread about that, but that thread has been long forgotten so it's on the last page or something. however if two identical/similar threads made at about the same time and by the same person, then that should count as spamming...

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
Ummmn...okay, I know that this is an odd topic for ME, of all people, to be making, considering my already-made-too-many-topics status (which I am NOT trying to defend. I write topics so that people will post more and keep the site active, and I can enjoy tossing around opinions. I need no ulterior motives.), but...

I've seen SEVERAL cases of topics that are LITERALLY IDENTICAL to other topics, including the name and author.

This goes a bit beyond just creating irrelevant duplicates of an existing topic, I think.

Does anyone else notice this?

You mean like creating a new thread everytime, just to ask what it would be like if a different character narrated a book? I can see how that might be annoying. Some threads should definitely be lumped together, or generalized to cover a similar topic.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »
To solve this, simply post the urls.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »
Ok. the one in the Animorphs Forum was removed.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »
Okay, thanks.  :)

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »
This place is so inactive, I don't get why anyone cares so much. There's no 'clutter' to worry about.

Also, many topics are similar but are distinct enough to justify a new thread. It's not fair to force people to make a general topic and hope for a specfic discussion rather than making a specific thread.

I'm still trying to get over my head when a couple of whiners blasted me for asking a simple trivia question when they said I should have replied to a very unspecific thread just because they don;t want 'clutter.'
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Tyler

• Evil Kit Clown from Space
  • God
  • I'll kill you all!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:11 AM »
This place is so inactive, I don't get why anyone cares so much. There's no 'clutter' to worry about.
Because that's the kind of attitude that leads to clutter.
I am eternal. I am the Eater of Worlds.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »
Come on estelore, we all know you just made this thread to boost your karma haha jk

I agree, it is a little silly, doesnt bother me all that much tho, the bosses will keep things from getting out of hand lol

esplin

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »
duffs got it right, sad thing is though i didnt know making threads gave you karma....