Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 195351 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #5610 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:55 AM »
Mar rolls his eyes as soon as Al comes into view and introduces himself to their new arrival. "Always have to be the center of attention, don't you Android? And you would think that of all people I would be attempting to acquire that honor." But he wasn't, and he doubt he had more than once in his time in this place. It was funny how things turned out.

"This idiot is more of a Fool than a social ambassador, although you could say on an ancestral level we actually share that distinction," says Mar, making a bit of a sweeping bow. "I go by plenty of names, milady, but my favorite for this setting happens to be Sanskrit. Mar. Now.." Mar pauses, and then sends a thought out to the Andalite. <How exactly did you come by this place?>

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5611 on: July 24, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »
Myitt sits back on the ground next to the ship, shaving bits of metal off of a larger plank of the stuff with a knife.

"Depends on the kind of plexi you're offering," she murmurs to Guppy, accentuating each other word with a slice of the blade. "You know anything about weapons-grade plexi? Like, the kind they make Yeerkish viewports out of? We could try it for the lenses, if not, I'll have to peel off the eyeballs of this Bug." She grins up at the fighter that sits hunkered above and next to them.

Then she leans down to the metal, shaping it into a sort of frame, like welding goggles. "Gimme...just a...sec," she grunts, and the living metal folds into place as she works with it. "Don't want any sharp edges taking an ear off."

Jorek sips his drink and watches the exchange between Yeden and Keshin, with a calm, neutral expression.

He finally says, "You know, from what I've heard about you, you've got some remarkable...abilit ies. Even super-human abilities." His light eyebrows raise, boyish cheeks dimpled in a grin. "The Empire could use someone like you, on its side, more often than not."

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5612 on: July 25, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »

"Oh, just curious," Yeden says with an easy shrug. "I've always been fascinated by those who choose to live on the fringes. It's such a...interesting direction to choose."

He's about to continue, but Jorek interrupts. Tilting his head to the side, he regards Keshin with even more curiosity. "Super-human?" he echoes. "Like in X-men?" He pulls the reference from his host's mind with a quiet laugh.

The Andalite stands stock still as the ship reveals not just an Andalite occupant, but several who are entirely alien to her. Her hearts, which were finally beginning to slow to their normal pace, jump in alarm, though her expression reveals nothing.

<The ship I was on,> she says, shaking herself from her reverie to respond to Ossanlin's question. <It's to the north, about...> she trails off uncertainly. <Well, about a two hour trot. I couldn't move much faster than that,> she says, guesturing back at her flank. It sports a long line of blue-black blood. It has started to clot in places, but the constant movement has kept it from healing entirely.

<The crew, sir,> she continues, polite despite her shakiness. <They're all dead.> As she speaks, her main eyes remain on Ossanlin. While her stalk eyes should be scanning for danger, she's unable to stop staring at the humanoids accompanying Ossanlin.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5613 on: July 25, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »
Keshin raises an eyebrow and stops sipping from a glass of water the bartender provided. "...and where exactly did you hear that bizarre bit of inflamed rumor? Skillful I might be, but my host has what, superpowers? Spectacularly unlikely, wouldn't you say?"

Keshin stirs a finger in the glass of water and then takes another long gulp. "What my host definitely is, gentleman, is very sick. Sick enough that we need constant infusions of a specific sort of mitochondrial reaction regulating medication and sarcoma and lymphoma management medications to survive. I maintain our independence from all parties because being dominated by anyone in this war could ultimately get both of us killed. After all..." He gave Jorek a knowing look. "...if we were to receive it all from one source, what exactly do you think would happen if we failed?"

"So..." Keshin nods at Yeden. "That, and what you would call an unnatural attachment to my constant companion, is the reason for my particular choice to live on the edge. Of all borders, and of all allegiances."

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5614 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
Yeden snorts. "Seems like an awfully high price, just to keep a defective host alive," he says. "If she is sick, why not dispose of her and find another?" He looks Joanne up and down with the air of someone observing meat on a rack. "She isn't particularly impressive, physically. I'm certain you could find a host more suitable to your brand of work. As for any unnatural attachment...well I would expect nothing less from a Yeerk who chooses to spend all his time alone, with only his host for company. We're a social species. Your self-imposed isolation is sure to lead you to seek out...odd companionship."

Shrugging, Yedeen sets down his fork and finally abandons his food--though there are still piles of it waiting to be eaten. "Any attachment you have would likely be remedied with time. The healthiest course of action would be to sever ties immediately."

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5615 on: July 26, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »
Ossanlin notes the female's reaction to those around him and he frowns a bit.  He knows they are simply curious and mean no harm, but she doesn't...and it would seem alarming to most Andalites to see a fellow Andalite keeping company with so many humanoids.  He steps forward from them, putting a bit of distance between himself and his companions, and commands his ARC to scan the female, a dim, translucent holographic light flashing over his left eye.  The scan shows some contusions and minor lacerations beneath her fur, as well as a few potential hairline fractures in her bones. The ARC is hardly a medical scanner, so there is little certainty about those.  But he doesn't need the ARC to see the large gash on her flank.  He notes the lack of a utility belt...perhaps she'd lost it in her ship's crash, or perhaps she wasn't a member of the military, odd as that would be.  Nearly everyone who left the Homeworld was a sworn initiate of the honorable Andalite navy.

<Please attempt to remain calm.  Let's start off with your name and rank.  And after that, you can explain why you haven't morphed to heal your injuries.>  Though calm and reserved, Ossanlin's tone of thought is clearly one of command...and from her actions and demeanor, he very much doubts that this female is an officer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:19:51 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5616 on: July 26, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
Jorek watches Keshin explain himself, arms crossed, still smiling.

Then he listens patiently as Yeden offers up a solution.

"You know, as much as I'm loathe to admit it, my compatriot here is correct," he says lightly, regarding Joanne. "If there's no real benefit to the creature, you really should dispose of her."

He tilts his head, adding conversationally, "Or is there something you aren't telling us?"

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5617 on: July 26, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »
<Ardania-Soorlin-Naviel,> she responds. She seems to relax a little when Ossanlin steps forward, his commanding tone seeming to put her at ease. <You're referring to a military rank, yes?> Her stalk eyes move in the Andalite equivalent of a head shake. <I am a civilian,> she says. <I work as a xenobiologist--at least, I am training to do so.>

She tears her stalk eyes away from the humanoids, realizing she's lost a sense of her full surroundings. <Sir, did...did you say we are currently within a quantum-dimensional plane?> Her main eyes narrow slightly as she takes in Ossanlin's appearance. Then she blinks rapidly, standing up straighter, though her injury makes her wince. <I apologize, but...are you...?> She trails off, not certain she wants to voice her suspicion.

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5618 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
<A civilian...>  Ossanlin furrows his brow a bit.  It wasn't safe for civilians to leave the Homeworld without at least some sort of exo training.  <Then you've not received morph-capabilities?>  He spares a stalk eye for his companions before walking a bit closer.  <Yes, Ardania.  We are currently within a quantum-dimensional plane.  Multiple universes converge and cross at this point.>  He pauses a moment before continuing.  <At the heart of this place is a being of...incredible...p ower.  But we can discuss that later.>

<I would offer you the services of my med-bay, unfortunately it's currently occupied and at processing capacity.  My ARC indicates potential hairline fractures in several bones as well as multiple contusions and lacerations.  Not to mention the obvious.>  He indicates Ardania's most-obvious injury, the gash in her flank.  <My apologies, I am War-Prince Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel.>  He gestures toward the Mirage.  <It's unclear when my med-bay will be available again, but the facilities, such as they are, will be yours as soon as it is possible.>

RAF Silverblade

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5619 on: July 28, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
Keshin's mind boils with anger as Yeden speaks, both Joanne's and his own, and he tenses her fist to prevent himself from acting out. Joanne's eyes suddenly appear to be the wrong color, too bright, about half a second, and a couple of split ends and frazzled bits of hair stand on end. Keshin closes his eyes immediately and sighs sharply. <<No. It's not worth it. It's not. They could kill us. In seconds. Even with our accursed "gift," and you know how badly a discharge could throw us off.>>

<<....yeah. ...no ****.>>

Keshin opens his eyes. "I don't appreciate the comments, although I understand your concerns well enough. I excel in negotiations and subterfuge, not necessarily in fighting," he says almost casually. "My host is actually well-suited to this purpose, although the smaller physique of human women might suggest otherwise. Not only that, but I find more value in her than in any fellow kin I have yet met."

Keshin smiles very slightly at this. "Think about it. We inhabit a very cruel world, sirs, where everyone is being used towards everyone else's advantage without room for genuine allies. We treat the one species who has members so broken they might be willing to let another species run their lives as if they were cattle. The reality is that they are excellent pawns, with a self-defeating, self-sacrificing ethic that makes them ideal soldiers. They also have incredible genetic potential. Tell me..."

Keshin looks between both of them. "...you both have human hosts. You know what I am talking about. How in the world has the Council not exploited it for everything it is worth? Exposed our true reason for making contact with individual humans instead of making do with the ridiculous deception we have on Earth? Symbiotic Controllers with willing hosts, more loyal to the Empire than any human government, could easily overtake the Andalite military. As for whether I'm hiding anything..."

Keshin shrugs a bit. "...you would have to make it worth our while to reveal it. I am currently considering a large number of options."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mar listens to the exchange between the two Andalites with interest. The young Andalite sounds nothing like Efaen, the other female he had seen. Why, she sounded just like a young girl--- lost and alone.

He bowed. "Madam, I can't speak to anyone else, but you would be in good hands with the War-Prince here. And if you would be at all interested in a stranger's aid, I shall be happy to provide it. As for the Bar and its Highest, you should ensure that you stay out of any disputes. The chancel's holder enjoys watching fights, I believe."

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:52:38 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5620 on: July 30, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »
Ardania stares with all four eyes, her stalks suddenly finding the War-Prince infinitely more fascinating. <The War-Prince Ossanlin-Rethn-Sephirel?> she asks. Her thought-speak edges towards incredulous.

She shakes off her awe. <I...no, I did not receive morph-capabilities. I would be grateful for any medical assistance you could provide, though it is not urgent. Sir.>

One stalk eye jerks back in the direction of the humanoid. She doesn't respond directly to him, though her head ****s slightly and she can't hide the look of intense interest that crosses her face at the proximity of such alien beings.

Yeden's lips curl up in amusement at Keshin's obvious anger, though if he notices anything odd, he doesn't seem to care. His smile turns thoughtful at his words.

"Admittedly," he says, "I have only had this host for a few cycles, so I have yet to fully experiment with it. However, what you're speaking of is absurd. Not only would it take an extreme amount of time and retraining of our lieutenants, but it would immediately draw the ire of the Andalite militia." He rolls his eyes at that. "Far better we deal with those grass-eating fools first before we discuss such notions."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5621 on: July 30, 2017, 01:01:56 PM »
When Mar accuses Al of always needing to be the center of attention, Al gasps melodramatically, hand to his chest. "Center of attention? Moi? Why, I never..." he pauses and squints at the palm of his hand, as though reading something written there. "...Er... I mean... I always." He smiles sheepishly and shrugs. "It's a big part of what I was built to do. 'We can't change who we are,' is a false thing I often hear organics say, and I've tried to live my life by that philosophy ever since..." he looks down at his watch-free wrist, "...about two seconds ago."

When the Andalite speaks of the deaths of her crewmates, he swallows and shuts up, letting Ossanlin take the lead. After a bit, he clears his throat. "Hey, Ossanlin, Ardania, I can offer some basic medical help." He puts on a thick Scottish accent and gestures back into the ship. "I brough' me bag an' everything." He looks at the newcomer and drops the accent. "If you're okay with that."

Salem actually laughs out loud in response to Ossanlin's words, earning himself a funny look from Al. He leans against one of the bulkheads near the hatch of the Mirage, still out of sight of the newcomer Andalite. A civilian, apparently. Interesting. He's probably made the right choice by staying out of sight for now- not that it matters with Al and Mar trying to have a conversation with her. But in his admittedly-limited experience with Andalite civilians, anything that doesn't fit the propaganda on which they've been brought up can be a bit of a shock. Granted, this appears to be a scientist. Once she gets over her skepticism about the bar's... how had Ossanlin put it? Quantum-dimensional nature? Once she accepts that, she's likely to have a field day with this place. He immediately pictures this newcomer as a younger, science-ier version of Amiya, running around and getting excited over every little bit of weirdness this place has to offer. The thought makes him grin.

<<Verbal web,>> he says, his tone light. <<Ossanlin, I think you have a much higher opinion of my ability to manipulate than I do, but I appreciate the sentiment.>> He sighs, his tone becoming darker again. <<What I could use, War-Prince, is your help with... with at least one very specific thing. It's help that I doubt you'd be willing to give unless you understand the gravity of the situation.>> He swallows. Screw it. <<I believe I have evidence that... at least some of Sector Seven is moving to pull the military out of the war, and to leave the rest of the galaxy to fend for themselves against the Yeerks.>>

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5622 on: July 31, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »
A bizarre craft, clearly not Andalite nor Yeerk in design, drifted slowly down through the atmosphere of the asteroid that held the Galaxy's Edge Space Bar.  The hovering object was barely even a ship, really.  Just a flat square platform, about twenty feet across, supported at the corners by the four parallelogram-sided blocks which were its engines.  The whole thing seemed to be made of brightly-colored plastic, in haphazard rectangular patterns of many different colors, with the sole exception of a silver dome, about ten feet across, that rose out of the back of the main platform.  This dome's smooth metallic surface was a stark contrast with the gaudy colors and sharp edges of the rest of the ship.  But, for the most part, the only thing between the craft's sole inhabitant and the vacuum of space was a barely blue-tinted force field, which flickered off as soon as the ship touched down upon the pavement of the Bar's parking lot.

A lone Iskoort walked down from the ship, carrying a bulging blue cloth satchel nestled under the third elbow of his right arm.  In his clawed and tentacle-like hands he held a device that looked like a small computer, except that there was a bronze rod going horizontally through the monitor, and both ends of this rod held glass orbs, each of which was about half the size of the 'computer' part.  The Iskoort gripped the device by these orbs as he intently studied the screen in the middle.

His build was tall for an Iskoort, but slight, almost fragile or whimsical-looking compared to the average Iskoort (if there were such a thing as an 'average' Iskoort).  His stalk eyes were relatively huge for his vulture-like face, giving him a perpetual expression of rapt attention.  Those familiar with his species, and the physiology of their various castes, would have recognized him as an Iskoort of the Superstition and Magic Guild.

He looked up from the screen, but did not put down the odd crystal-ball-computer-device, as he walked towards the Galaxy's Edge Space Bar through the mostly-derelict shipyard, loping along across the gravel in his awkward-looking backwards-kneeling Iskoort way.  He glanced in passing at another parked spacecraft which seemed to have at least two other species of alien around and within it, at least that the Iskoort could see.  He wore an enthusiastically curious expression as he looked at them, as if part of him sorely wished he could stay and talk to the fascinating strangers.  But it seemed that the Iskoort had more important business elsewhere, and so he reluctantly hurried on by.

He had to drop his strange device to his side for just a moment in order to open the door to the Bar, but as soon as he had done so, he brought the device back up, grasping it protectively with both hands again.  As he entered the Bar, the soft but slightly grating wheeze of his accordion-like diaphragm rose slightly in pitch with anticipation, and he announced in public thought-speak, <Greetings!  I am Truth Seeker, Grub of Soul Caller, brother of Name Collector.  I am here to certify that this establishment is free of the spirits of fictional characters.>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:36:21 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5623 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
Myitt watches the strange ship motor its way down to the docking yard, all of her attention lost on the metal that sits in her lap, as she herself sits cross-legged in front of the Bug Fighter.

"What the hell is that?" she says, half to Guppy, and half to herself, staring as the Iskoort moves past them, staring right back at them.

Jorek is about to offer a retort to Yeden and Keshin, when he's interrupted by the strange creature at the door, who bellows in thought-speech.

"My word," he murmurs, eyeing the Iskoort. "Now there's something you don't see every day."

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5624 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
Ossanlin glances at Al with a stalk-eye.  <I'm afraid that without the med-bay the best I can personally offer you is field medicine...I could seal the wound and give you an antibiotic...that's about it.>  He glances again at Al, this time with his main eyes.  <My...friend...is an artificially intelligent humanoid robot.  He might be able to offer you better treatment, though that is completely up to your own discretion.>

He shakes his head a bit, directing his main eyes back at Ardania. <I'm sure that whatever you've heard about me is greatly-exaggerated.>  He falls silent as he watches a strange alien run by.  The thing seems to tickle at his memory, but ultimately he comes up drawing a blank.  Very odd indeed.

To Salem, he sends a private thought.  <<What good would a manipulator be if he revealed his talent for manipulation?  At any rate, at the risk of sounding rude...what is it the humans say?  Bovine excrement?>>  He pauses, showing nothing in his facial expressions.  <<At any rate, the war is one of Sector Seven's most powerful tools.  Without it...with seclusion, the propaganda loses its impact, and their most-effective measure of control loses its bite.  Not to mention the implications...ther e would be civil unrest in such a situation.  Honor is very important to Andalites, unlike some...>>  He pauses pointedly for effect before continuing.  <<Withdrawing from the war would be seen as an abandonment of honor...of the very character of our species.  I can assure you that Sector Seven has nothing to gain and everything to lose by withdrawing from the war.  So excuse me if I find your 'intelligence' to be suspect.>>  In the context, the word "intelligence" likely refers to Salem's 'evidence,' but Ossanlin's tone suggests that there may be more than one implication to his last phrase.

RAF Silverblade