Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 195345 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #5445 on: March 02, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Keshin chuckles at Salem's impish comment about Rathien, and then blinks, as if momentarily surprised, when Salem suddenly propositions them. He nods very slightly, hoping that what transpired wasn't noticed by anyone but Salem himself. It was difficult to make a deal with this many people in the room with him!

<<Kess, wait a sec. The guy nearly caused the entire bar to break out into a **** fight in a couple of seconds. Making a deal with him is dumb. Really, really dumb.>>

<<We're not necessarily closing the deal, Joanne. Determine what he wants first, agree to it later.>>

Rathien suddenly speaks up, produces a knife, and effectively threatens both of them. Keshin twitches as soon as he sees the knife hit the table. He swallows and then states tersely, "We owe your little friend Salem a debt. He saved our lives. And I don't know what sort of code you follow, but I do know that in mine life takes precedence over "family."" Keshin takes the knife out of the table and slides it back over to Rathien.

When Jorek steps into the conversation, Keshin blinks slightly and says, "A job? Inside the Bar? That sounds...practicall y impossible, no offense. The last time I tried to execute a job inside the Bar, I nearly died. Unless you're not trying to kill someone at the moment, or at least not trying to kill anyone I know. Regardless..."

Keshin stands up. "This crowd's getting too stiff." He casts a look at Jorek. "If the others refuse you, we'll hear it." He then walks over to the booth where he expects Salem to meet him and takes a seat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey grins at Al. "Most of them are. I mean I can control people's minds with my powers. In exchange, for, well..." Jeffrey pouts. "...losing my head. Falling apart. Missing more marbles by the day. My powers make it hard for me to give a crap about what other people think. Basically." Jeffrey shrugs.

"And...yeah, I'm getting the impression my home ain't exactly on the same path down the road as most of the people here," says Jeffrey. "Incidentally..." Jeffrey's eyes glow yellow. "What are you and how do you know that guy who walked into the Bar, specifically? How did you get that ship you came out of? Also say raspberry three times. " Jeffrey both really wanted to know these things and had to see if that raspberry thing actually worked.

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5446 on: March 02, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
Rathien glances at the hand in semi-surprise.  He takes it and shakes it before reaching down to retrieve his knife, causing it to disappear within his sleeves.  "Well that really depends, doesn't it Jorek?  Depends on who you're after.  How hard it will be.  How much you're willing to pay.  Most of the people here have some kind of crazy **** going on..."  He arches an eyebrow, leaning back with both palms on the bar top, his heel still propped on top of one of the bar stools.

"I need more details, hun...a lot more details before I can help you."  He grins winningly, flashing his fangs.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5447 on: March 05, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
Salem laughs in response to Rathien's words. "Of course," he mutters. "The violence is half the fun with you. Doesn't make your..." he places a hand on Rathien's shoulder and squeezes, mockingly comforting, mockingly somber, "Er... judgment sound."

He listens as this... 'Jorek' introduces himself. "Came to the right place if you want a freaking hive of bounty hunters," he mutters to himself. He then shrugs, puts on his 'charming businessman' smile, and holds out his own hand to Jorek. "Pleased to meet you. Name's Salem. I'm a trader. I've got something I need to do, but I'd love to talk to you more. Chances are, even if I can't help with your little... problem, we can at least find a... uh, mutually beneficial arrangement." Though, he reasons, the odds this Imperial is here to have him assassinated probably aren't bad. He's fairly sure Rathien and Keshin would both think twice before trying to off him, but he's going to need to keep a close eye on Jorek until he figures out what the Yeerk's game is.

He watches the interplay between Keshin and Rathien, and listens with some concern to the conversation between Myitt and Rathien, and sighs. "Rathien," he says, his voice showing a trace of annoyance and resignation, "play nice. Myitt and Kess are friends, and you know you could use a few more of those." He smirks, muttering, "I swear, all you bounty hunters make up this 'code' stuff as you go. Don't jump into lovers' spats. Jobs at the GESB are dumb. If the mark is wearing white and it's a Tuesday, buy their widow ice cream after it's done or face the consequences." He laughs again.

With that, he turns and follows Keshin to the booth. He slides into the seat across from Keshin, angling his body so he can comfortably keep an eye on those still at the bar counter. As he sits, most of his 'businesslike' demeanor seems to evaporate, and he's back to looking haggard and exhausted.

"How've you two been?" he asks, his tone conversational. "Still having attempted murders a few times a week, I see." He points to his own neck at roughly the spot where Joanne's is cut. He smiles. "It's good to see you both."

"As for business..." he leans close and says, in a hushed, conspiratorial tone, "I've got a job. A big one. Biggest I've ever seen." He looks into Joanne's eyes, searching. "It's not a solo job. Nobody could handle this one alone. I'm putting together a team. We're playing it smart. Planning everything." His eyes rove back towards the counter. "It's pretty high-stakes stuff. Fate of the Galaxy levels of high. But it pays well, and if I can put together the right team with the right plan, we can be in and out again before they even know what hit 'em." He smirks, though it seems a little halfhearted. "Interested in hearing more?"

"Ah," says Al, nodding sagely. "Your cost for superpowers is sanity and empathy." He studies his own nails and says loftily, "I don't mean to brag, but sanity and empathy is sort of my superpower." He pauses, and then looks slowly up at Jeffrey, feigning shock. "Do you suppose my power costs sanity and empathy too?" He frowns. "Would Sanity and Empathy be a good name for a line of frozen dinners? Or is it better suited to a pair of tiger siblings?"

Al looks into Jeffrey's eyes and shrugs. "Raspberry three times. As for me, I guess you'd say I'm..." He frowns, searching. "An android? Sort of? I mean, I guess the closest thing I'd be is an artificial intelligence currently inhabiting a purpose-built android body, but that's a little bit of a mouthful, so I usually just introduce myself as Al." He laughs. "Salem's a... friend, I guess. I met him at a party, a long time ago. We had a few mutual friends." He shrugs. "There was another party, later on." He pauses, wrinkling his forehead. "Sometimes, I think I party too much, but then I just tell myself that's stupid. I've only ever partied once. I just haven't stopped since." He laughs. "Anyway, at this other party, I was just plastered drunk, and Salem offered to give me a ride home. You know how it goes," he says, waving one hand vaguely into the air. "One thing led to another, and before you knew it, we were both thrown together into an alternate universe to live out our days as outsiders. We've been living with whoever would have us and hopping from universe to universe ever since."

"One of those universes was the home to the Serylians. Between me and Doctor McRobotKidnap," he jerks his thumb towards the bar, "we helped advance their science by... I dunno, a few centuries?" He takes a step over and raps on the hull of the black ship with a dull thud. "This is one of the things they came up with. I think they gave it to us as partial repayment for helping them so much. Or something. All the trading and wheeling and dealing is sort of Salem's thing, not mine."

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5448 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »
Myitt watches the exchange between Jorek and Rathien, and Salem, sipping her water, eyes wide.

She feels a tiny edge of relief as Joanne and Keshin wander off with Salem, but no - there was more to be done there. So much more she needed to discuss. And she'd nearly killed Joanne...

Her thoughts muddle together and she sets down the glass of water, trying very hard to focus on whatever it was Jorek was saying.

"I'm after," says the Yeerk carefully, "a Councilor of the Yeerk Empire, and an associate of mine, whom I plan to meet in this hovel of a place. It will have to be quick and clean. The host is expendable. He will be armed, and quite cautious, though I've asked for his guards to remain at bay." He does glance at Myitt, now, eyes narrowing briefly. Recognition? No, only suspicion, and he turns Rathien away from the unknown rebel.

"I don't know who you are or what you need, my dear turelek, but I will pay you more than any other Yeerk could possibly wager," says Jorek with a small, pleasant smile.

Myitt leans across and grips Guppy's arm.

"I don't like what these guys are talking about," she tells him in a low, tremulous, and slurred voice.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:37:34 AM by Myitt »

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5449 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
Rathien arches his eyebrow further as Jorek speaks.  "So...you're saying you somehow managed to get a member of the Imperial High Council to come out to a bar in the middle of space to meet you for some undisclosed reason.  You did this to make an attempt upon the Councilor's life, yet you simply hoped you'd run into a bounty hunter when you got here?  Do you think I just fell off the birthing bed?"

Rathien leans forward, staring at Jorek, unblinking.  "What's your story...and more importantly, what's your angle?"

RAF Silverblade

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5450 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
"Yes," says Jorek simply, smiling. "If I hadn't run into a bounty hunter here, I would have been forced to delay his execution. But no, no, this must be carried out as an anonymous act. I can't simply execute him."

He shrugs, sipping his rum and coke nonchalantly. "As for who I am and why I want this bounty, that's my business, and I'm not paying you to ask my business. Now, name your price, or I'll find another willing patron."

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5451 on: March 07, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »
Rathien grins, baring his fangs, picking next to one with a pinky-claw before leaning back and speaking again.  "Fine, Jorek...go ahead....find another willing patron."  He smirks pointedly.  "Maybe you'll get lucky."  Rathien shrugs nonchalantly.  "But if you don't, you can always carry out the kill yourself, right?"  He pauses a moment for dramatic effect before continuing.  "Or......you can come back to me, be a good boy, and tell me what's going on and why you want these people dead, eh?"  He grins wide, shrugging again, waving his fingertips at Jorek in a mock 'goodbye' gesture.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:33:05 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5452 on: March 07, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
Keshin smiles slightly as Salem drops his guard in front of them. It surprised him somewhat that the free-wheeling trader considered him as much a friend as they considered Salem one. But then again, the altercation the man just had with Rathien proved Salem's definition of that word was rather...loose. "We're doing...terribly, as you can see, but it could be worse," Keshin says with a shrug. "At least our assailant seems to be apologetic."

Keshin pauses as Salem introduces the reason he wanted to talk to them, and then scoffs and shakes his head incredulously. "Fate of the galaxy? A job that requires more than one scoundrel? You have got to know how this sounds. It sounds like you're trying to set me up. But..."

Keshin sighs, putting his hand up against Joanne's chin. "....Kandrona, I have no idea why you would. We're not so hatable that our enemies would pay someone to kill us this way. So, I suppose, convince me. Tell me why helping you here would pay off in the end."

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5453 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
Jorek's lip curls in distaste, for just a moment.

Then he shrugs and lifts his drink. "Very well. I thank you for entertaining the suggestion of employment. You're quite right, I could carry out the hit, myself. But let's say I haven't exactly done such things in a...a very long time."

He inspects his fingernails. "Out of practice, and all that."

Jorek doesn't appear to want to continue the conversation, focusing instead on the rest of the bar at large as he sips the tumbler.

Myitt sits nearby, watching the conversation with glowering suspicion. Watching Jorek's back.

Then, when it is apparent no one is making any moves towards ending her own life, she slowly, edgily relaxes against the bar counter.

"Still don't trust him," she murmurs, half to herself, and half to Gaf.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5454 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »
Jeffrey grins. "My god what a wild ride. Sounds like you could tell the same 'drunk at a party' story for like, twenty years running, with new additions every so often to make things interesting. And..."

Jeffrey paused, and then nodded quickly. "Yeah, I'd say that's about right. Espers--- The kind of Super I am--- Get the ability to control others like me, in various ways. There's all different types, too, even just with that one superpower. I'm what they call a Delusive Vocal Esper--- That is..." He spins a finger around his ear. "I can make people see things that aren't there with my powers, and I do it with my voice. My powers impact what people believe, not what they feel. But a Hypnotic Esper, those guys can make you think they're your god." He rubbed the back of his head. "Always been jealous of those guys."

He held out his hand to Al, ****ing his head to the side. His expression was warm and quasi-benevolent, for him. "You know what? I think I like you. Show me your charge, man. As for the ship, you got any more stuff like that? Stuff onboard? I probably have something I could trade. I'm carrying my DNA and some of my own tech on me!"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:54:18 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5455 on: March 11, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
William shakes out of his reverie, frowning. "Birthday parties?" he murmurs. "Autographs?" He shakes his head again, reaching a hand to his forehead. "Apologies. I think that time with the...the Yeerk in my mind has had more of an impact than expected." He says the word 'Yeerk' hesitantly, as if unsure whether he is pronouncing it correctly or not, despite having played host to one.

His fingers tighten on the fabric of the black shirt, and he frowns down at it. "If you'll excuse me, it is past time to clean myself off. I...will return. I find your conversation oddly pleasant, despite only understanding half of it."

He detaches himself from the company of Al and Jeffrey, meandering down towards the lake. Once there, he sets the shirt aside, pauses, then tugs off his boots and breeches.

Naked, he wades into the water, rubbing at the dried blood on his chest.

In the shipyard, the hatch of Dalik's the Prime's Bug Fighter slides open. Cameron's brunette head pokes out as the ramp descends. Her expression is no longer feral, and her eyes are sharp and scrutinizing. Dalik has, evidently, found her way back into her head and recovered enough to emerge.

The ramp touches down, and Dalik descends slowly, checking her holster as he does so. She's added a few small contraptions to it, outside of the standard comm link and Dracon weapon. A pouch is filled with spare power cells, and something that looks oddly like an Earth pager is clipped to the side. Three green lights blink on it.

Dalik makes her way to the bar quickly, pausing just before the door to stare at Salem's ship. There is greediness in her expression at the clearly unfamiliar technology, but she restrains herself. There are other items of business to tend to.

Pushing the door to the bar open, Dalik surveys the crowd. Still no sign of her brother, and her lip curls into a scowl that freezes in place when she sees the young man beside Rathien. The color drains from her face.

"What are you doing here?" she demands of Jorek, striding towards him.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5456 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »
Al sighs and looks away from Jeffrey, and for the briefest fraction of a second, his relentlessly upbeat attitude gives way to something darker. He looks... old. Worn out. "You know, twenty years running isn't far off at this point."

As quickly as it's gone, though, his grin returns. "Dude, you have got to take me to your dome at some point. You have enough mind-control experts running around that you have terms to break down the varieties. You're like some kind of brain-warping connoisseur."

He turns towards William as the man turns towards the lake. "Likewise, Willy. You're a stimulating guy to talk to." He laughs warmly.

Al grins and grips Jeffrey's hand. "Likewise, Jeff. Enjoying your company. And... yeah, there's a lot more on board the ship. Lord Dorkington," he jerks a thumb towards the bar, "likes to think of himself as a trader. Like I said, I don't get very much into the trading side of things. I think I could offer you one of Salem's regular widgets for a DNA scan, but for the interesting stuff, you'll have to talk to him." He rolls his eyes. "I wouldn't have a clue what any of his random junk is worth."

Salem's Story

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5457 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
Guppy jumps about a foot straight up when Salem grabs his shoulder. "Guppy," he says a little too quickly. Clearly, he wasn't expecting the stranger to introduce himself so suddenly.

He sits back and tries to take in the multitude of conversations happening around him, not fully understanding a single one of them. Maybe this corner of the Bar was a little too crowded for his liking, or maybe it was because all these people seem to have some history together, with Guppy being the outsider. Or maybe he was just ****faced.

Guppy squirms in his seat when Myitt squeezes his arm, visibly nervous. "**** . . ." he mumbles. It takes the Yeerka minute to realize that Chris was speaking, not him. "Myitt, I'm lost here. Like . . . ****, I think that rum's really hitting me now." He laughs, but it's much less lighthearted than his normal chuckle.

Without another word, Nepek walks away from the human and storms out the door of the Bar. He boards the Yeerk craft that he arrived in, but the ship simply idles in the shipyard instead of leaving.

The newcomer stands up, rubbing his arm that had smacked against the table. "Sad," he comments to himself. "What a sad creature." He stares at the door for a moment before making his way to the Bar. True, he did come here for a reason, but the other patrons seemed to be pretty invested in their conversations. There would be time for what he needs once things die down a bit. For now, he sits alone on the far side of the Bar from everybody else.

"Bartender," he calls. "Mind grabbing me a Pepsi?" The way he pronounces his words is a little too deliberate - placing stress on almost every syllable that he says. "On second thought, Cherry Coke, if you have it?"

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #5458 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
Salem looks towards Myitt. "Apologetic is... good, I guess. It's something. So did Myitt just snap, or did you provoke it?" He stares into space. "At least you're still kickin'. More of my friends out here in the black wind up dead every year." He smiles tiredly at Joanne. "It's not easy for those of us who live on the fringes. No real home, except for dumps like this. No sense of security. No family and no consistency." He sighs. "I don't know about you, but once in a while I could use a break from this life for a while."

He seems to suddenly remember what he's there for. He shakes himself almost imperceptibly and sits up a little straighter, reclaiming a portion of his businesslike demeanor. "I know it sounds like a setup," he says. "It's not. It's just that the job... jobs, really, because I think we're probably looking to hit two or three targets... are multifaceted. Multi-tiered. We need to be fast, and silent, and we're going to need to time everything perfectly. I don't think I could do it on my own if I had a year for planning and preparation, but there are groups I've worked with that'd make this look like a cake-walk. My old crew..." He trails off and his eyes lock onto Joanne's, searching. "You're good. As far as I can tell, you're one of the best in the galaxy. If we pool our skills, we should be able to do this pretty easily."

He fishes into a pocket in his cloak for a moment and pulls out a dark grey cube-shaped object. It's a couple of inches across, and across the entire surface run a series of golden-white lines, parallel to the cube's edges and turning almost exclusively at right angles, like the traces on a circuit board. Salem sends a quick thought-speak command to the object, and the the lines begin to flicker and pulse. The cube projects a small, rotating holographic image into the air above it. It's a vaguely mushroom-shaped structure; that of a small Andalite space station.

"This is our first target," Salem says. "It's an Andalite-run early-warning outpost near the current front line with the Empire. It's non-critical to their operation and is usually pretty lightly guarded, but lately it's been used as a waystation for those traveling to and from the Andalite fleets operating in the sector. Depending on our timing, it might be full to the brim with Andalite warriors itching for a fight." He grins. "So we'll want to avoid that kind of timing. We'll be looking to capture some data from the computer, bug their comms, disrupt station operations, and potentially liberate a small number of Andalites. If we're really lucky, there's the opportunity to make an assassination as well." He shrugs and indicates the cube. "I've got a lot of intelligence on this one, and you're welcome to look over all of it to see what your action plan would be. I'd rather have more eyes and minds on it anyway." He laughs halfheartedly. "Depending on what we find out there, we'll know our second target, if there is one. I suspect it'll end up being a more-secure Andalite facility."

He watches as the cloaked Hork-Bajir storms out the door. Some kind of relationship there he's not hugely eager to jump into the middle of... good thing both of the individuals in question are alone now. "I'm offering good pay for each of the... sub-jobs, I guess you'd call them... and a larger amount once the whole thing is done. And that's besides the bounties already out on our primary targets that could be collected. You'd be free to walk at any time if you think it's getting too dangerous, but if we play this right, we'll be invisible."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:54:36 PM by Aluminator (Kit) »

Salem's Story

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
  • I love aliens too much...
« Reply #5459 on: March 17, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
His name is Forlin-Langor-Chulain.  He is--or was--an Aristh.  But about his biological people, he knows very little.  The trauma of a ship crash can do that to a person.  He considers himself a denizen of Earth.  Known to all but those who he trusts as Collin Henderson.  Because he has to be careful who to trust.  The humans will poke and prod and lock up things they do not understand...and there are even worse horrors out there.

Only recently had he been able to reach the stars.  How he has happened upon this nondescript place, however, he does not know.  He comes knowing there is risk, yet the Andalite comes anyway.  While he still remains within the confines of the small ship, he begins to morph, bones and flesh twisting and shaping, blond hair sprouting from his head and blue fur receding.  Emerging on all fours, naked, he pushes with his strong human arms to his feet, and finds his clothing:  a t-shirt with an image of a dragon on the front, sweatpants, black socks, and pull-on shoes.  He slips a jacket on, and into his pocket, concealed, an Andalite shredder.  Setting on stun.  It is a mild relief to the Andalite to have it at hand...but he hopes he does not have to use it.

The first thing he sees sends warning bells through his mind.  He recognises what the bladed creature storming towards a fighter is...Hork-Bajir!  Shock troops of the Yeerk Empire.  Forlin gives the Hork-Bajir a wide berth and makes his way inside, despite his urgings to leave this place as soon as possible.  He glances around as he steps into the bar, taking in the site of what seems to be mostly humans.  They could all be Controllers, though, for all he knows.  He tells himself to act natural, making his way to an empty spot at the bar.  Once he has the attention of the bartender, he speaks.

“Hi, um, I would like a coffee, if you have it.  Coffee with lots of creamers.”  He smiles warmly but nervously, trying his best not to sound out the words despite how well 'creamers' comes flowing off of his tongue.