Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 195404 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #4530 on: October 16, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
Mar was tired. Perhaps He had been so for a very long time. He had been driving Himself toward His desire for too long and for too far a distance, and the only end that He saw would end Him. It had occurred to Him that despite everything He had done, perhaps there was no way to avoid it. He could see it in the same way most people might see a setting Sun, moving ever so slowly below the horizon. It was as if it were always just outside His window, waiting for Him. Yet the being's thoughts were being drawn in another direction.

There was a place one could go, if one felt like this. Wasn't there? The idea scratched lightly at the back of the seraph's mind, fully formed but inexplicably difficult to access. He vaguely remembered (And vague memory in and of itself was very odd for Him--- Really only the garden had a similar dreamlike quality to it) a ramshackle building on an asteroid lying in the far reaches of Time and Space. He had gone into this building and found respite from...Everything. From Himself. He didn't quite remember leaving, either. There was really no other option. He had to go back. He knew it wasn't true, really....the "lie" He had found there. But He had loved it.

And so Mar opened up his eyes, and found himself leaning against the side of the Bar. His boots were digging into the grass. Mar held his head in disorientation, the rush of human senses and human feelings nearly knocking him over. He stumbled awkwardly out of his position, quickly regaining his balance. He felt dizzy. Had he somehow been out here the entire time? Was his brother Ike back inside?

Mar smiled suddenly, remembering the friendly and warm young human he had met. The race of people he was supposed to protect. Yes, that was it. Mar turned around and pushed open the double doors to the Bar, a peaceful expression on his face.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I suppose you aren't that different from us humans then," states James, taking another sip of his drink and getting a good look at the blonde for the first time. She was pretty in her own way, and she had a charming smile. But James wasn't one to hit on random people he'd met in a Bar, let alone a Bar millions of light years away from home. "Humans adapt to any new species they meet and grow stronger from having met them. But we similarly take advantage of all that we see."

He raises an eyebrow upon hearing her description of the Light. "And how can you guarantee that the governed actually are able to give coherent feedback? Is your species somehow more homogeneous than ours? Part of the problem humans have had with representative governments is that people are so very different from one another. There isn't one single majority opinion but hundreds."

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #4531 on: October 16, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
The stranger takes another sip of liquid from his glass before playing around with it idly, pretending to balance the glass on one finger-tip while holding it aloft with levitation.  He notes the Sworn's gesture warily and merely watches the would-be human for a moment before the bar doors swing open again.  He takes in a hissing breath as he feels a fourth Mass...it was getting crowded in here.  The new mass emanates from the new individual, in an outfit more-befitting an avatar.  The individual's connection with the Mass is almost palpable...no mortal could survive that strong of a connection...it must be an Avatar.  And yet, he feels a similar strain...the same electric backfeed as he felt from the other placid human, though not as strongly.  Two masses in one individual?  How?

The glass "balanced" on the stranger's fignertip shatters, but remains in the perfect form of the tumbler, still containing is black, semi-viscous liquid, but now spiderwebbed with thousands of crystalline-shaped cracks.  He needed to work on that surprise reaction...he starts the process of knitting the glass back together, but notices that it has already begun the process itself...or perhaps he had...the stranger glances at the BT again.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4532 on: October 16, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
Ike noticed Mar, and excused himself from the table. "Mar! Brother! It's good to see you again." He said after walking over. "I apologize for leaving earlier. I'm not quite sure of the details, but I've returned and hopefully for longer. How have you been?"

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #4533 on: October 16, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Myitt's eyes narrow at Elriss' obvious distaste for her question.

"I meant no disrespect," she mumbles, extremely half-heartedly, bile rising in her throat.

She remains silent, brooding, sitting back and listening with her tumbler of red pungent booze cupped in both hands.

Her attention piques again when Elriss and 'Renlath' banter back and forth about the Light and its divisiveness within the Empire.

"Excuse me," she edges in, "but are you talking about creating a democracy out of the Empire?"

A strange shiver crawls across her skin, but she is facing away from the door, and dismisses it.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4534 on: October 16, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
"Absurd," Nareth says, waving a hand dismissively at Myitt's suggestion. "The Empire could never function as a democracy. Not even the rebe--" He cuts himself off, turning the word into a cough, catching himself at the last possible moment. He shifts his attention back to Ike, looking for a way to shift the conversation, but the man has left.

<<Dapsen,>> he hisses silently. Unhooking his feet from the barstool, he pushes himself abruptly to his feet. "I think it is time that my little hiatus from work came to an end," he says stiffly. "Thank the human for my drink when he returns, da?"

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4535 on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
"I have been in a poor mood, although what I was upset about seems to have escaped me," states Mar with a well-meaning shrug. He really doesn't know what it was, for some reason--- The feeling of deep satisfaction that comes of the presence of his Father in his life overwhelms all other sensations. "It would interest me to find out where you went, but we can save that for later. Have you managed to introduce any of the latest group into the loving embrace of God?"

Mar turns toward the bar, trying to get a better look at the place's clientele. He searches in vain for a blue alien of his acquaintance, but spots two other people of great interest to him. One of them was intriguing merely because he seemed to be similar to Mar himself. He had a Mass of a respectable size, writhing about chaotically. Mar wondered dimly if many Highest visited this hole in the wall. It made sense, given that the place was run by a Highest.

The other was quite clearly a human and Yeerk pair, a human and Yeerk pair he somehow--- Mar rubbed his forehead irritably, trying to excise the sudden aggressive tension from his mind. Well he knew them, that much was certain. His Father seemed to want to hide exactly how. Mar wondered why his Father would want to hide anything from him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I take it that you guys aren't normally a very democratic society," James states, glancing over in the other direction at Myitt. "Otherwise what would your society need rebels and complex reorganization for? I've recently spent a great deal of time as a rebel myself, although I wish dearly it had not turned out that way."

James had run into the wrong people at the wrong places at the wrong times. And he had discovered the wrong conspiracies at the wrong places at the wrong times. He desperately wanted to go back to the time when his whole previous existence hadn't been morally objectionable to him, but that was what you got for digging around in the Admiral's business. This Bar was as good a place to hide out as any.

James watches in surprise as the glass of another guest shatters, mysteriously remains intact, and then promptly knits itself back together again. Lines of glass filling in the cracks. The happenings in this one building continued to get more messed up.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4536 on: October 17, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »
"Unfortunately it's a tough crowd, despite earlier successes." Ike said. Not many religious people. There is an imperial that I believe is interested in me. At least while we're both drunk." He rested a hand on something to help steady his body. Honestly he probably did a good job just walking over to mar without falling down. Perhaps the Spirit had helped with that, or maybe the drink wasn't effecting him as much as he thought it might. "Unlike the Yeerk Empire, we must not resort to force in order to convince anyone."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4537 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
Mar notices Ike's unsteady gait and promptly moves behind him and helps to support his weight, moving his drunken brother back to the Bar. Again he was struck by the eerie sense of familiarity he got, looking at the unkempt woman in the trenchcoat. But it wasn't relevant at the moment, according to God.

"Why not?" states Mar, almost seeming a bit confused. "Our Father is clearly capable of using force. Is it that He is not interested in those who do not come to Him freely? That seems like a familiar statement from at least one Rite I was in."

"Although frankly..." Mar mutters. "...I have never agreed with Him. Mortals coerced early in life are consistently superior servants."

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4538 on: October 21, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Ike sat back down as he was brought back to the bar. "I feel that our Lord is not as impatient as He once was, that He would demand people come by force if need be. Of course it's possible I'm wrong, but I just don't feel moved to do it. I get the feeling that if someone came and tried to throw his weight around, the whole bar would rise up against him. Even people with little to no affiliation would leap into the fray. That's the feeling The Spirit gives me personally, anyway, even if I don't have strong evidence to support it."

"If we can convince anyone to take the first step willingly, the rest will fall into place."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4539 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:51 PM »
Elriss presses her face into her hands as everybody talks at once. The headache is deafening. Stupid hangovers. Yeerks should be immune.

<I feel okay,> pipes Rose cheerfully.

<Ugh. Shut up,> mumbles Elriss.

"Where's Haviss when you need him," she mutters to herself. The sound of a shattering glass punctuates her conscious and she groans and finally looks up again, blinking. "Two Advil, please, hon," she says to the Bartender who is, conveniently, standing right next to her when she opens her eyes.

"Hon," she says sweetly, if distractedly, to Ike, "the Yeerks get along just fine without a higher power behind us. Not that I'd turn down the help," she says thoughtfully. "Your god sounds awful nice and all, but in the end I'm sure it's just another one of those things where we're considered evil enslavers of other races and all that. Human religions don't leave much room for Yeerks." Her lip curls when Ike excuses himself to go talk with Mar. Ugh. So he's still hanging around this place.

She laughs and turns to James, "It wouldn't be difficult to be more homogenous than humanity. Hundreds of opinions... who has need of so much disagreement?" She sneers as she speaks, the irony in what she's saying almost entirely eluding her. She looks to Myitt, "But a 'democracy' might not be the right word. Conjures too many images of bureaucracy and... voting and whatever." She thinks for a moment, "What we do needs a different name. It's lightning fast and brutally efficient. No question about what direction we're taking. No question about who makes the decisions. No question about when their people think they're wrong. The Light knows what's in its members' heads."

Her mouth snaps shut and she turns slowly to face Renlath. Her eyes narrow as he abruptly stands. "Oh, leaving so soon?" she says, her tone falling halfway between pouting and threatening. She throws back the pair of Advil on the counter in front of her and follows it with a swig of her greenish water. "I wish you wouldn't. I feel like we still have so much to talk about."

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4540 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
Nareth blinks, forgetting himself for a moment. "Did you say Haviss?"

<<Not the same Haviss,>> Dom hisses warningly, but it's too late. Nareth has, despite his best efforts to ignore her, glanced over at Myitt, trying to see whether she picked up on the familiar name as well.

<<Nareth!>> Dom snaps. Nareth gives himself a mental shake, turning back to Elriss. "Do we?" he asks mildly. He tries tapping his fingers on the shellac countertop, attempting to feign impatience rather than anxiety. "Somehow I find I have far more important things to do than banter with you, Temser."

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #4541 on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »
"Well. I like what goes on in my head to be quite private, thanks," Myitt replies to the Temser with a false smile.

She then locks eyes with Nareth and Dom, looking away with what she hopes is nonchalance.

The name 'Haviss', however, sends a jolt of shock through her chest.

She clears her throat, sliding off her seat. Suddenly this place did not seem very friendly; something in the room had changed, some cold chill that pervaded her host Tara's body. And, oddly, it had nothing to do with the bizarre happenings going on around her.

It was time to leave.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4542 on: October 24, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
Mar looks awkwardly at Ike, taking a seat of his own next to his brother. The place was almost exactly as he had left it, complete with the Bartender who didn't appear to have aged a day. He noted awkwardly that Elriss the Yeerk was definitely still here--- For some reason, it was easier to get a bead on the acquaintance than the friend. "I'm...familiar with that little feature of the Bar," he says. "During one infamous incident, my least favorite patron was shot by a bounty hunter and inexplicably nearly everyone rushed to her rescue. Personally I think there's a spell here that ensures the status quo is preserved, more or less."

"Bartender, my usual red drink please," Mar states as he waves a hand to call the Bartender over. The Bartender seems to know what Mar means and proceeds to mix a peculiar red concoction that happens to be close to 80 percent alcohol. The one advantage Mar seems to have retained this time is his freakish tolerance. He then sets the fizzing, almost Koolaid-colored red drink in front of Mar, who takes a very light sip of it. The Bartender's variant was perfect. Better than his Alderonian chef, in fact. It never ceases to amaze him that the place always has exactly the right ingredients.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So then who does make the decisions in your brave new world?" says James with a slight grin. "You seem to be big on fancy rhetoric but very sparse on the details. Granted the Oligarchy isn't a whole lot better in that respect, but at least I as a citizen generally knew who controlled what. So, who, exactly..."

James draws two of his fingers along the table and stops them directly in front of Elriss. "...are the Light?"

James notes with some interest that the rather layered conversation going on between "Renlath," the Yeerk called Myitt, and Elriss appears to have ended. Both Nareth and Myitt have responded curiously to the name "Haviss" and presumably intend to take their end of the conversation outside. James doesn't want to pry into what is clearly a dirty business, but he is curious.

Perhaps he should wait until just after they have left and then follow to find out what they know. After he hears Elriss' answer, of course--- Which may have equal weight. He is in a strange world and it would behoove him to understand how the gears of this political machine turn, and whether throwing a wrench in the works would be a good idea.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4543 on: October 24, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
"Let's play our cards carefully, and we can accomplish The Lord's goal in a peaceful manner." Ike said. He noticed the conversation he was previously in seemed to be coming to a close. It might be good to try to convince Elriss to give his beliefs a shot, though in his muddled state he wasn't quite sure how to go about it. He supposed Mar might be able to help, but it might be better to go a more private route. Whether Elriss' flirtations were genuine or not, if he could convince her to join in the ritual just for kicks, that was all he needed.

He spoke more quitely. "Elriss has been coming on to me a little bit. It may be my chance to score a new convert. Do you have experience acting as a wing man? You know, working in the background to help a guy score?" He smiled a bit when he heard himself, because it sounded like he was trying to get laid instead of performing a conversion.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4544 on: October 25, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
Mar smirks playfully at Ike and says, "I was more often the one who was scoring, if you know what I mean. I have had the occasional bit of luck even here. Although I suppose my Father might wish me to have better decorum." Mar pouts at this, as if that isn't at all what the creature would normally have in mind.

"But naturally I can play the lesser half," the Mar states. "Particularly for a good cause. I have watched closely a friend of mine, who I admit has always had unrequited love for me."

This friend, who he remembered far better than some aspects of his life, was a blue-haired playboy named Belpheron. He smiled slightly to think of his on-again, off-again Highest Lover. Lord of Lust, corruption, and meaningles--- wait, what? That...that must be in the past...