Author Topic: Animorphs TV Show Discussion: Opening theme, character listing, style  (Read 1694 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
     I guess the moderators are going to be all over me about merging topics. If I made a mistake, I'm sorry. I just figured that talking about the season breakdown, art style, opening theme, etc would get too cluttered on the other thread. Hopefully making this thread, and maybe one or two others, won't clutter up the forum too much. If it does, feel free to merge the topics. I'm just really anal when it comes to organization and stuff...

Anyways, this thread--should it remain seprate from the others-- is focused on the [hypothetical] opening for the Animorphs Television Series, as well as character listings for each seasons.

By character listings I mean, of course, the fictional characters; not actors we'd like to play the characters--but, if you wish to include the latter, feel free. Personally, I think it's pointless to start naming people we'd like to play the Animorphs and other characters, since I'm sure most of us agree that we'd like to have unknown actors (between thirteen and sixteen) to play the kids...

I can't seem to envision an opening theme at the moment, because I don't know whether the [hypothetical] show should be animated or live action. Someone on the boards mentioned a theme similar to the Justice League Opening, which sounded cool. But I always imagined a theme similar to Smallville: a kick ass montage of each character at various parts of the season, with and even better theme song. Which brings me to my next point: a kick ass, theme song. Another example that comes to mind would be the Ultimate Spider-Man theme--the Spiderman animated series that picked up from where the live action film left off. I always liked that theme; though, admittedly, I remember very little about it. But even a theme similar to the Spider man film openings would suffice, in my humble opinion--the whole strand of floating DNA thing would work perfectly for this series; live action or animated.

The one thing that the original series did right was the theme song. I wouldn't mind if the next show used this theme, even if it's just for nostalgic value. But we need a theme song and opening that impacts the audience in a similar way. The song could be fast, slow, minor, major, etc. As long as it fits with the tone of the series.

The opening should change somewhat after each season, but it should probably keep the same style, format, music, etc. A major problem with the old show was that it changed from a really cool, brief opener to a brief, talky opener that made us wish the show would just end right there.

So, just brainstorm a few ideas and we'll see what we get.

Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Re: Animorphs TV Show Discussion: Opening theme, character listing, style
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »
I've said this once before, but it's worth saying again: I think book 1 should kick-start the series with a live-action theatrical film (2.35:1). After that, books 2-50 should each be an episode of an animated ("2D" or "3D") series (16:9/1.78:1). The <Megamorphs> should be animated TV movies in the same style (1.83:1), and the Chronicles books should also be theatrical films (live-action or animated, but animated might be easier; 2.35:1). Books 51-54 could be combined into one big finale film, and the episodes and films would be created and released in the original book publication order, to follow the story.

The reason I suggest that book 1 (filmed as Animorphs: The Invasion Begins) should be live action while everything else is animated is this: Animorphs, as a whole, deserves to be live-action, but the vast majority of timeline events take place within three years, and no studio would be able to produce films and TV episodes in real-time like that.

Animation allows the original actors hired for the first time to keep their roles as the voices of their characters, but also allows them to grow older and not be recast. As new characters enter the series (like Erek or Eva), the producers would first hire someone using live-action criteria (looks, ability, and voice), take a publicity photograph, and then use them primarily for voicing that character for animation.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:17:58 PM by Dogman15 »

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
     I totally agree with what you said. The only real difference is that I wanted episodes 2-54 to be live action. But, like you said, such a thing would be unrealistic. Animation seems to be our only option for a TV series at the moment.

What I want to see is something like the Spider-man and X-men TV shows from the nineties. Not only was the writing great, but the animation seemed to be pretty decent too.

I am against the idea of turning Animorphs into an Anime series. Sorry, I just wouldn't want that.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
I never said Animorphs should be an Anime. That should be reserved for stories originally conceived by Japanese people. (Example of bad: Turning the Lilo & Stitch series into an anime, when Chris Sanders is an American.)

Anyway, on to what I was typing while you posted your reply:

If the Chronicles books are made in order with the TV episodes, to line up with chronology and the original book publishing schedule, the Animorphs themselves would have to appear regardless. Tobias (and maybe the others) appear in Chronicles #1 (they would still be young enough at this point, I think), Tobias (voice only, as a hawk) appears in Chronicles #2,
All of the Animorphs (everyone but Marco is voice-only) appear in Chronicles #3, and Rachel (she could be live-action and much older than her [spoiler]death age of 16[/spoiler]) is the only original Animorph to appear in Chronicles #4 (I haven't read this book, so I don't know if there are other scenes in that book with the other Animorphs.)

Knowing this, all four Chronicles books could conceivably be done in live-action (with heavy use of motion-capture or animation for the Hork-Bajir and Andalites), leaving the TV series and TV movies (based on Megamorphs) as animation.

Here's a big question, if you're actually taking the time to read this: Should the Animorphs TV series, animated, be done in "2D" (hand-drawn/cel-shaded or flash animation on a computer) or "3D" (3-D computer models, CGI, shading, lighting, all that)? Which would serve the Animorphs story better? CGI "3D" might match up better with the Hork-Bajir and Andalites in the Chronicles films, but "hand drawn" "2D" has its benefits, too.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
     I wasn't implying that you did. I merely stated my opinion on the matter, in case anyone else responded to this thread.

I don't really know which would be better. I know nothing about animation, unfortunately. Like you said, they both have their upsides and downsides.

Another problem I see is how the episodes are going to be laid out. Is each episode going to be from the POV of the characters, like in the books? How is the morphing going to be done--the same style as the Power Rangers morphing?

I had an idea for the Capture in terms of POV and shooting and the like. We have all the previous and future episodes [before the capture] filmed from muliple points of view--so not limited to the character who happened to be narrating the book. For the capture, we have the entire episode filmed through Jake's point of view; as if we're seeing through his eyes as the Yeerk in his head take over his body.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
What I was typing earlier:

Another thing I just thought of... How should the Yeerks be done? Certainly not as boring Earth Banana Slugs. I do not think that the Yeerks should look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Animorphs_29_The_Si ckness.jpg, because they are often described in the books as looking blackish, and much more like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Animorphs_Aliens_po ster.jpg Romas Kukalis wins again!

Related to Yeerk portrayal, when we're in the head of a Controller with their Yeerk (Jake and Temrash; Cassie, Illim, and Tidwell; Eva and Edriss), most of the time, the dialoge can be voice-overs while the host looks stoic, or responds to other people as necessary. Example (made up just now):

<Yeerk says something in voice-over.>
<Host speaks back in disagreement.>
"Yeerk speaks out loud using host's body."
"Second person responds."
<Host makes snide comment.>

But if we're getting really in-depth, like with Jake and Temrash or Eva and Edriss, I envisioned an animation of the host and their Yeerk inside a stylized human mind, looking like a large empty room with a control panel and a window, and the host appearing as their natural body, and the Yeerk appearing as a featureless humanoid that is able to make hand gestures and facial expressions to convey emotion. To be even more serious, it could be just a plain all-black environment with just the two characters I described.

My reply to what you said last:

Each episode (or film) should be from the perspective, but not literal point-of-view (POV shot) of the original narrator of the book. Some things described in the narration in the books should obviously be shown and not told (You know... "Show Don't Tell"!) through visual layouts. Other elements of the narration should be carefully chosen to be read out-loud by the narrator character in a voice-over, for things that give us important insight as to their thoughts or character development.

I'd love to someday, just for fun, write a screenplay/teleplay/script adapting one of the Animorphs books. That would be so fun.

Post Merged: April 18, 2011, 01:48:30 AM
A few other things I thought of:
1. The opening titles of each episode could have a recreation of the backgrounds on the book covers. For example, I'm looking at the cover of book 30 on my bed right now (Marco to ****roach, The Reunion), and the background is sort of sunset-like, with clouds. A lot of the covers had clouds of some sort as their background.
2. At some key point in the episode, the person portraying the main character (narrator) of that episode should wear an outfit/costume identical to what the original model wore for that cover. For example, in episode 32, The Separation (with the two Rachels), the actress hired to play Rachel the animated Rachel model should wear that black and red "striped" swimsuit in the scene where she's about to morph at the beach. On his way out of the house on the first morning in The Reunion, Marco would be wearing a purple shirt and dark grey pants with a black belt and white tennis shoes.
3. Every book had its inside cover illustration, and when it comes to that particular scene in the episode, the TV show should make every effort to re-create that particular illustrated scene. This includes where people stand, the position characters are in, where the camera is looking, where props are, ect.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:48:30 AM by Dogman15 »

NateSean

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
There should be six seperate openings. Short and simple, just like the opening of Moonlight, which is really just the moon coming into focus.

Since the central characters for the series will mostly be Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco and Ax, each episode would feature one of them in the opening with a short voice over that says, "My name is."

As the show opens up to whatever events set the tone of the episode, there would be a short but sweet narrative from the gang. Not some cheesy "set up for the moral of the week" crap, but maybe something like why Marco is actually reluctant to be an Animorph. They really sort of barely touched that in the Nickseries and this attempt would have to be more focused.

One thing I've learned from shows like Vampire Diaries and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is that kids aren't stupid. For the most part they can focus on complex issues if you don't treat them like a bunch of ADD-smitten morons. *cough*Space Cases*cough*

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:18:51 AM »
I was just reading book 32, The Separation, and I was thinking of how much harder it would be to adapt this to the screen than the other books. It goes into so much more detail in the narrations by the two Rachels. A large majority of their character (in the book) comes from their non-spoken narration to the reader. This is what shows their thought processes. For TV, this would all need to be somehow shown visually through their actions, with less voice-overs.

The stuff they actually do say and do would be kept intact, of course. Rachel's (voice) actress should have a lot of fun playing both roles!

NateSean

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
For TV, this would all need to be somehow shown visually through their actions, with less voice-overs.

You ever watch The Parent Trap with Haylee Mills? Or any episode of Buffy where an evil twin was witnessed in various different parts, only to be shown side-by-side towards the end? Or the same thing in almost every other episode of Star Trek?

It's not a new concept. It can be done.

Offline Morilore

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
I would like to point out that "anime" literally doesn't mean anything except "cartoon from Japan."  I like that visual style on a purely aesthetic sense, but if an Animorphs cartoon were made using that visual style it needn't have anything else in common with any other anime.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »
     Alright, so let's continue to assume that the series will have at least five seasons. I was thinking about the opening theme in terms of character credits: the names of the characters/actors that appear in that season of the show. Here's what I though of:

Season One Opening theme:                 Season One Supporting Cast:
                                                              Tobias (Voice over after The Invasion)
                                                              Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill
     Jake Berenson                                    Melissa Chapman (The Visitor)                                     
     Rachel Berenson                                 Mrs. Chapman (The Visitor)*
     Cassie                                                Hederick Chapman
     Marco                                                 Steve Berenson (Episodes 1-13)                                       
     Esplin 9466/Alloran                            Tom Berenson (Episodes 1-13)                         
                                                             Jean Berenson (Episodes 1-13)
                                                             Peter (Episodes 5 and 10, possible filler episode)
                                                             Eva (Episode 5, possible filler episode/flashback)*
                                                             Walter (Episodes 1-13)
                                                             Michelle (Episodes 1-13)
                                                             Erek King (Episode 10 and filler)*
                                                             Mr. King (Episode 10)*   
                                                             Ellimist/Toomin (Episodes 7 and 13)*
                                                             Jordan Berenson (Episodes 1-13)
                                                             Sara Berenson (Guest Starring)
                                                             Naomi Berenson (Episodes 1-13)

Breakthrough: I think that, since he doesn't make his debut appearance until Animorphs 4: The Message, Ax shouldn't be a part of the main cast until season two--the same for Erek King. I actuallly think the Nick Show did something right with that, but was confused when Ax didn't make the opening credits after season one. He was already a regular by that point, so what was the deal with that? The (*) after the perentheses in the supporting cast listing mean guest appearance--those characters are not going to be appearing in the show any time soon. For the parents and family, I assumed that most of them would be making regular appearances, save for Peter, since we see so little of him in the series.

Season Two Opening theme:                   Season Two Supporting Cast: (in addition to Jake's, Rachel's, Cassie and Marco's families)

Jake Berenson                                      Captain Torelli (Episode 14)*                                             
     Rachel Berenson                                   Fenestre/Esplin 9466 the lesser (Episode 16)*
     Tobias                                                George Edleman (Episode 17)*
     Cassie                                                Andalite Princes/Officers (Episode 18)*
     Marco                                                Karen/Aftran (Episode 19)*
     Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill                        David's father (Until end of David saga)
     Tom Berenson                                     David's mother (Until end of David Saga)
     Hedrick Chapman                                 Saddler (Episodes 20-22)*
     Esplin 9466/Alloran                               Saddler's family (Episodes 20-22)*
     David                                                 Aria/Visser Three (Pretender saga)
     Erek King                                            Crayak (The Attack)*

Breakthrough: I've already made the point in the other TV series discussion that David will be a member of the main cast in season two. The David trilogy will be expanded into a saga, and his departure will take place sometime before the season finale; allowing David's character to have some character development. This also brings to question the episode dilemma. The events of the Pretender should, I feel be expanded--with the subject of a possible relative for Tobias being introduced early on, and resolved in the actual episode entitled the Pretender. Thus we have two main storylines for the season: the David Saga and the Pretender story arc.             

Season Three Opening Credits                         Season Three Supporting Cast:
     Jake Berenson                                              The Drode (The Exposed, onward)
     Rachel Berenson                                            Various Chee (The Exposed)*
     Tobias                                                         Aftran (The Sickness)*
     Cassie                                                         Eva (Multiple Guest appearances)   
     Marco                                                         Nora (Season regular)                                                   
     Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill                                 Peter (Season regular)
     Tom Berenson                                              Taylor (The Illusion)*                                   
     Hedrick Chapman                                          Toby Hamee
     Esplin 9466/Alloran                                        Aldrea (The Prophecy)*
     Erek King                                                    The Arn (The Prophecy)*
                                                                      Queen Soco (The Mutation)*
                                                                      Landed Andalites (The Arrival)*
                                                                      Vecol Andalites (The Other)*

Breakthrough: I figure that, like David, the Nora storyline should be expanded and introduced early on in the season. This way, we have a chance to see Marco's reaction and feelings towards his possible new stepmother. I also see the whole wedding thing happening towards the season finale. Peter will be seen more often, as well as the other Animorph's parents.

Season Four Opening Theme:                         Season Four Supporting Cast:
     Jake Berenson                                             Taylor (The Test)*                                           
     Rachel Berenson                                          Peter (Season regular)
     Tobias                                                       Eva (Season regular)
     Cassie                                                       Toby Hamee (Season regular)
     Marco                                                        The Carpenters (The Resistance)*
     Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill                                David (The Return)*
     Tom Berenson                                             Loren (The Diversion)*
     Hedrick Chapman                                         
     Esplin 9466/Alloran
     Erek King     

Breakthrough: This season sees few new support cast members. By now all or most of the Animorph's parents have become season regulars, especially now that Eva and Peter are living in the Hork-Bajir valley. Mostly, this season will have a lot more guest stars and focus less on support cast, due to the content of the season..Erek's place in the series will also be expanded, to provide character development and personal growth.

Season Five Opening Theme:                            Season Five Supporting Cast:
     Jake Berenson                                                The main Auxiliary Animorphs (The Ultimate, onward)                                     
     Rachel Berenson                                             Walter (Season regular)
     Tobias                                                          Michelle (Season regular)
     Cassie                                                          Peter (Season regular)
     Marco                                                          Eva (Season regular)
     Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill                                  Loren (Season regular)
     Tom Berenson                                               Naomi Berenson (Season regular)
     Hedrick Chapman                                           Jordan Berenson (Season regular)
     Erek King                                                     Sara Berenson (Guest appearances)*
     James                                                         Santorelli (The Beginning)*
     Two of James' people                                     Jeanne (The Beginning)*
     General Doubleday                                         Arbron (Guest Appearances)
                                                                      Governor (Guest Appearances)                         

Breakthrough: Again, we see few new support cast members. I think there should be more filler episodes, so we see more of how the Animorphs and company function towards the end of the war. I think the Auxiliary Animorphs should be regulars, but the number of Auxiliaries should be decreased from 17 to about five or six. James and his "lieutenants" should, in my opinion, be members of the main cast. I feel the Auxiliaries should get more screen time than the canon books, just for character development.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:17:52 AM by Empress Goose »
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Your spelling is off on a couple of the names, and some of them were left out. That "insane oatmeal patient" is named George Edelman. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_humans_(Animorphs)
The Andalites who landed are Arbat-Elivat-Estoni and Estrid-Corill-Darrath. The "Vecol" Andalites are Gafinilan-Estrif-Valad (sick with Soola's disease) and Mertil-Iscar-Elmand (missing half his tail). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_Andalites

Like with the books, I'm not sure how wise it would be to reveal Jake's family's last name (and by extention, Rachel's family's last name). The whole point of the secrecy with the last names is for the revelation of "Berenson" at the end to be a big deal.

In your other thread, http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=7829.0 , You suggested this lineup for season 4:
Animorphs 40: The Other
     Animorphs 41: The Familiar
     Animorphs 42: The Journey
     Animorphs 43: The Test
     Animorphs 44: The Unexpected
     Animorphs 45: The Revelation
     Animorphs 46: The Deception
     Animorphs 47: The Resistance
     Animorphs 48: The Return
     Animorphs 49: The Diversion

I think this would work well, if you were to tag on episodes of book 50 also. That way, books 51 through 54 could be made into one final big theatrical film to give the whole series a real killer (and epic) ending. (Don't forget: The Megamorphs as TV movies separate from the show, and the Chronicles as theatrical films also.)

After the series is all finished and every book has been adapted, I see another way that Scholastic/<whatever company is producing the series> could continue to "milk" the series. You know how supportive of fan fiction K.A. Applegate always seemed?

What if K.A. Applegate and her husband Michael Grant carefully hand-picked different fan fiction stories they considered to be exceptional, contacted the author, and worked up a non-canon adaptation of that story, with all the special effects and acting? It would be animated, of course, just like the rest of the episodes. (Remember, in my mind, only the book 1 intro film and the Chronicles films would be live-action.)

Publicly, it would be very carefully advertised as non-canon. Each episode of season 6 would have a disclaimer saying that this episode was written by <fanfiction writer here> and should not be taken as canon. Viewers should not expect episodes of this season to line up with each other. It would give the voice actors additional opportunities to play their characters.