Author Topic: "JAKE, STOP HER!" (book 54 spoilers)  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
"JAKE, STOP HER!" (book 54 spoilers)
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »
If you've read books 53, and 54, you know what this quote is about.

My question is: Was this actually Tom the human saying this, or was it his Yeerk, calling Jake by name, asking Jake to stop Rachel. (Naturally, the Yeerk knew both Jake and Rachel, and was probably just as scared as Tom at that point.)
Or was it a joint venture sort of thing? Were the thoughts of Tom and his Yeerk so alike at that moment that they both wanted to yell exactly the same thing?

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
Re: "JAKE, STOP HER!" (book 54 spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »
I kind of feel it was both of them screaming. Despite that Tom had been a controller for so long and in book #6 when Jake gets Tom's memories or thoughts or whatever it was he says Tom spent his time wishing he could die, I doubt when the time really came he really did – especially with the end so near. But yeah, like what you said I think both Tom and the Yeerk was scared and screamed out for Jake to help.

ACTUALLY IDK. When you said:
Were the thoughts of Tom and his Yeerk so alike at that moment that they both wanted to yell exactly the same thing?

That interested me because I sort of feel like maybe Tom would have understood why he was being killed. I mean he knew Jake and, according to the plot, the only way for the Animorphs to have won the war = Tom/his Yeerk had to die, so he probably knew Jake had to do what he had to do to win the war. I mean even when he screams out for Jake to stop Rachel from killing him, he had to have known he was the one who sent her. Yeah I know I'm contradicting myself, but as I said idk, now I'm thinking about it too much D:

That quote always gave me chills though. It was really sad and upset me but made sense too.
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Ranked 56th in Most Posts
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's MVP of Roleplaying
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
It could have been both but I don't know honestly if it was but I wouldn't pass it up by saying it wasn't both.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
It could have been either (or both) of them as I'm sure they were both scared of dying. On the other hand, Tom has spent over 3 years as a slave, trapped inside his own body and forced to do awful things. I'm not saying he wasn't afraid to die, but if it meant stopping his Yeerk and finally being free from his tormentor, death would also have been a relief.

In conclusion, I say it was the Yeerk talking, making a desperate plea with Jake to spare his brother's life.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
Yeerk.
Even if Tom didn't what to die, I can't imagine after all this he'd ask Jake to change this at this point for him.

And I base that off the one page of tom's personality we get from the Yeerk in book 6
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
If I was Tom I'd be more afraid of the Yeerk getting away with me than being killed. But who knows what he was really thinking, because the only insight we ever get is him trying to keep his Yeerk from taking his brother. He would become voluntary if it meant his brother was safe, but his Yeerk had such a complete hold on him that it didn't even matter to Temrash if Tom was voluntary or not.

I don't really remember how it goes with the new Yeerk. Did the new Yeerk try to get Jake to join the sharing? I know he tried with Marco. The new Yeerk may have taken Tom up on the offer because I don't remember if he tried to get Jake to join the sharing. On the other hand I think Jake would mention if he saw Tom in the voluntary area instead of a cage.

Man I wish there was a Tom narrated book. Especially after he learns the truth about Jake.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »
Well, first of all, I personally don't believe that winning the war had anything to do with the reason that Jake decided to kill Tom.  The Blade Ship still escaped and they still won, so it didn't really matter whether Tom was alive on board or not.  Rather, I think that Jake made the call to kill Tom because it was the only way left for Tom to ever be freed from the Yeerk in his head.  It was sad, but it was also the happiest ending possible that Tom still had left.

That said, I am very sure that it was the Yeerk who said that quote, although the Yeerk probably wanted Jake to think that it had been Tom.  I think that the real Tom probably understood that this was a mercy killing, and he would rather die than spend the rest of his days with no hope of rescue from the Yeerk in his head.

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Well honestly I think Tom wanted death most of all, so my guess would be the yeerk said it.

Lol despite all my hard gangsta attitude i have in rl, i cried when i knew she was going down. I was like wow...i could NEVER do that to family. I couldnt ask someone to go and sacrifice themselves, espesially not family. But lol yea i cried
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
     Which begs the question: why is Animorphs considered a "children's series?"

...Oh, that's right...Because they don't swear  ^-^
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
Lol exactly! I was like why would they have someone go on a suicide mission in a childrens book?
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
It shouldn't be, but it is. KA didn't talk down to her readers, and pushed the envelope of what we consider ok to show kids. Being in written form helped, as she wouldn't be able to do it if she wanted to make it a TV series.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »
Yeerk, definitely, but I'm sure Tom was very scared when it came, as is especially shown in the Animorphs universe that there is no afterlife.

The more pressing to me is Jake wanted to tell the others (but stopped himself, rightfully) that being a dolphin was the most fun he had since he saw Rachel kill Tom. That line was just SICK and made me recoil. And THIS is the guy the world WORSHIPS. :o

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
     Did he really say that?

Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
What? What's wrong with saying the dolphin more was the first time he's had fun since that incident? When would you want him to start having fun again? Six years after? Sixty? Never? What's your problem?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »
     I think that Zakryn said that Jake enjoyed watching Tom die. But I haven't read that book since sixth grade. So I don't know.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)