Author Topic: Introducing...me!  (Read 3773 times)

Offline wotw2112

Introducing...me!
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
Hmm...having found this I suppose I should make nice and all...

I actually discovered this forum completely by accident.  I originally picked up on the animorphs series back in the good old days when they were still being published (I was about ten).  I read the first 20 or so in no particular order then chronologically (and pathologically)  from there.  I also watched the tv show (which I didn't hate though I was disgusted by some of the deviations from the actual story).

I finished the series when I was about 15 or 16 and was pretty much devastated by the lack of conclusivity and Rachel's death.  :'(

Then I proceeded to forget about the series until very recently when a friend of mine saw my entire collection boxed up in the basement.  He decided that he wanted to finish the series so he started borrowing the books.  Many arguments and debates later, here I am once again embroiled in the series I once (and still do, though a bit more skeptically) loved. 

I figured I'm almost out of college now so why not try to reclaim some of my youth?

I credit the Animorphs with the following:

1. My love and pursuit of writing

2. My love of reading

3. My hatred for most contemporary women writers (probably inspired by the ending and reaffirmed by the stupid ending of Harry Potter)  If anyone knows of any real good women writers, please let me know.

4. Bits and pieces of my personality

That should just about cover it as I am now on this forum 2 to 3 times a day thanks to my summer classes having finally ended (woo free time!).

So far everyone has been great.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
Re: Introducing...me!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
3. My hatred for most contemporary women writers (probably inspired by the ending and reaffirmed by the stupid ending of Harry Potter)  If anyone knows of any real good women writers, please let me know.

What do you consider "good" books?  Because I know of a couple good 'chick-lit' writers who do mystery novels that I really enjoy.  You can find a lot of good quick-reads in the mystery section written by women. *nods*

Welcome to the forum!
Not all who wander are lost

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  ;D

That's just it, I don't read traditional mysteries.

My genres are:

Fantasy (George RR Martin, Tolkien, Erikson)
Scifi-ish mystery (Preston & Child, Dan Brown)
Straight up Scifi rarely

I don't know how clear that is if you're not familiar with those authors but I can't come up with a better description.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
Yeah, I know most of them.  Okay, in the sci-fi/fantasy sort of area, I don't know of so many 'cause I'm a big mystery reader, lol.   About the only one I can think of offhand would be Jean M. Auel, but she even got a little boring towards the end of the first book, to me... sorry.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
Yeah, I know most of them.  Okay, in the sci-fi/fantasy sort of area, I don't know of so many 'cause I'm a big mystery reader, lol.   About the only one I can think of offhand would be Jean M. Auel, but she even got a little boring towards the end of the first book, to me... sorry.

Lol, at least your trying.

All the books my aunt sends my way by women authors are total crap and I don't usually buy them myself unless I know they're good.

The search continues...and my prejudice remains lol  ::)  :P
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
as both a woman and a writer (not professionally...ye t...), I might just have to be determined to TRY and change your mind anyways though.

Until then, have fun :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:05:03 PM by FrogTobSieMist »

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »
Welcome to our crazy little world. :P You'll meet all kinds of weird people, most of which have no lives whatsoever!

3. My hatred for most contemporary women writers (probably inspired by the ending and reaffirmed by the stupid ending of Harry Potter)  If anyone knows of any real good women writers, please let me know.

*sigh* We female writers have a tendency to destroy our characters' lives. Don't ask why.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »
as both a woman and a writer (not professionally...ye t...), I might just have to be determined to TRY and change your mind anyways though.

It's gonna be a challenge for ya.  I can be quite obstinate when I want to be.  But your welcome to try.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
Welcome to our crazy little world. :P You'll meet all kinds of weird people, most of which have no lives whatsoever!

3. My hatred for most contemporary women writers (probably inspired by the ending and reaffirmed by the stupid ending of Harry Potter)  If anyone knows of any real good women writers, please let me know.

*sigh* We female writers have a tendency to destroy our characters' lives. Don't ask why.

because we're generally sadistic, dear.  Lol, kidding.  that's just me...::)

It's gonna be a challenge for ya.  I can be quite obstinate when I want to be.  But your welcome to try.

Oh, you don't know me yet, you don't know obstinate.  Or forgetful...what was I saying?

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »

Thank you!  I enjoy craziness.  I find, it gives a person depth.  Normal is boring and not worth talking about.  Crazy is a conversation starter!  ;D

And I have no problem with characters' lives being destroyed!  Some of the best authors I've read have been brutal to their characters.  It's other things that bother me (including but not limited to: cheesy, clearly stupid, or overly obvious endings - inconsistent and unbelievable characters and actions).  Not that I'm saying those are problems of women writers only.

"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »
Oh, you don't know me yet, you don't know obstinate.  Or forgetful...what was I saying?

LMFAO!  ;D

Why does this feel like a conversation that would normally get me hit?  (If it wasn't the internet, that is.)  :P
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
Wotw, might I suggest Ursula K. LeGuin? She is an AMAZING writer of fantasy and science-fiction, and she happens to be one of my personal favourites.

Likewise, I'd recommend anything by James Tiptree, Jr. (a WOMAN with a man's pen-name). She is truly an astonishing sci-fi writer, though she rarely touches on fantasy in the accepted sense.

If you hate them, I shall believe forever more that you are just a literary sexist.  ;)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
If you hate them, I shall believe forever more that you are just a literary sexist.  ;)

LMAO!  That sounds like a challenge!  ;D

Thanks for the tip.  I'll consider LeGuin but it looks like she might write for a crowd a bit younger than my current interests (Animorphs not withstanding, of course).   :-\
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:22:31 PM by wotw2112 »
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
I would most strongly suggest these of LeGuin's works:

The Tombs of Atuan
The Farthest Shore
Tehanu
(it has DRAGONS!! WOOHOO!!)
The Left Hand of Darkness (it has ANSIBLE COMMUNICATIONS!! WOOHOO!!)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:01:16 AM »
Women writers aren't bad, I think it's just you who doesn't like bad endings, when characters die or when good guys loose.
But look, I don't like good endings, when main characters live and win everytimes >_< I see too many good endings in French and American movies... TOO MANY!! It's horrible for me!! lol

Anyway, welcome on RAF ^_^
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum