Author Topic: #55 The Madness (Final edit)  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Blu

#55 The Madness (Final edit)
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »
As some of you may recall, I began adding the first few chapters of my fanfic on this site about 1 and a half years ago. Unfortunately I cannot edit the posts in that thread because I have lost that login information.

Also, those chapters have been re-written. Basically, I'm starting over again.

The fic starts where #54 finishes, around 2 years after the war on Earth ended.

Enjoy! It's a big 'un!

PROLOGUE!

Ellimist.
That’s what they call me.
I am powerful, yet I am not invincible like some will have you believe. I can reverse time to any point I want, destroy or create with the click of a finger.
However, I am not the only one with such power.
There is one more, perhaps just as powerful as I am. They call him ‘The One’.
He has taken one single Blade ship filled with yeerks, and with it destroyed an Andalite ship, killing most of the crew.
But these aren’t normal yeerks. They have the ability to morph.
Earth has sent one ship to investigate the disappearance of one an Andalite Prince, Aximilli-Esgarrouth-Isthill. He has been assimilated by The One, thus taking the attention of the Animorphs, or what’s left of them, towards a near impossible battle.
Not impossible. Near impossible.
I have watched these Animorphs fight against all the odds so many times, but they have gone to the battle hideously outnumbered. There is only Jake, Marco and Tobias, accompanied by a small crew. This will not be enough. Not by a long shot. They would be defeated and all they have worked for will be lost.
There is one hope though.
I cannot interfere with the outcome of the battle, but there are those who can. Who, you may ask. Who could be trusted enough to make this decision that will turn the outcome of the battle on its head?
I cannot just ask them to decide for certain victory, of course. Nothing is certain. They would have to decide themselves what to do.
I would need to test them. Test their mental strength, their mind, and their spirit. I need to know that they will make the right decision. The entire universe depends on this battle. It must end in our favour.
But who could I place this massive responsibility on? Who could handle such pressure?
Who could make the right decision in the end?
Will they endure the choice, or will they succumb to madness?
Or be crushed…

Post Merged: February 02, 2011, 08:55:05 AM
CHAPTER 1

My name is Toby Hamee.
I am a Hork-Bajir living on a planet called Earth, staring up at the distant stars.
My friends are up there.
Friends, you ask? The Animorphs - or at least what is left of them. They are in a battle from which they may not return. The feeling of guilt had been clawing its way through me ever since they left, gnawing on the fact that I was stuck down her chewing on an old piece of bark, whilst they fought for theirs and many other people‘s lives.
Then again, if I were up there risking my life I would feel just as guilty for not being here with my friends and family. They needed me for their own protection. Protection not from war, disease or invasion, but from a heated political climate that debated on how and where we lived on our new home.
I tried to blank out the guilt and stared into deep space, feeling the soft heat of the nearby fire tan my side. I looked to my left and I saw trees. A lake covered in the shadow of the night. Dim torches from a distance traced the cities neighbouring our home, and they looked like the stars, flickering with foreign glows reflected in the water beneath.
I turned my head right to see my friends and family. They were sitting around the fire warming themselves, telling stories and anything else they would do to entertain themselves. They showed no fear, but they knew nothing about what cursed me with guilt. I never told them, my mother aside.
I thought it would be better if they did not know. Instead, I preferred for them to play and sleep, blissfully unaware with no worry but for daily life. They needed the break, and so did I.
You see, I am what they call a seer. I am a not like the others, for I can see things that they cannot. I was born to help them - a guide, if you will. They looked up to me and I did what I could for them.
My great-grandfather was also a seer. Dak Hamee, a Hork-Bajir brave enough to guide an entire army into impossible battles. He did it with pride, doing all he could to save them. They gave the yeerks a battle right to the end.
We were doomed. There was not a free Hork-Bajir for years, decades, until the Animorphs, a group of six young individuals saved us, hiding and protecting two escaped Hork-Bajir. Those two escapees, my mother and father, helped revive us into the thriving population we have today.
Our people, after the war, were moved to an area on the outer rim of Yellowstone, and we continued to expand our numbers. We liked it here. The area was vast, the trees plentiful, and it was easy to adapt to our surroundings. It has become the perfect environment. We have everything we need.
Unfortunately, I was not always here to marvel at my new home. My self-proclaimed duty to protect had earned me a place in politics. The House of Representatives, to be precise. I could spend weeks away, sometimes even months attending large gatherings that could only be described as tedious. Barely a year into politics, and I had grown a disliking of it. Not a day would go by when a camera or a bill was shoved before my snout. However, I tended to stay neutral on issues that did not involve my people. It was not my place to comment on the rights of the humans, hence why I was only a non-voting member of the House.
I longed for the day it would end, but responsibility was all that mattered to me nowadays.
Once again I stared up at the bright stars. I was laying a few metres from the group, by an old dead tree that had fallen in high winds. I would usually spend time on my own to think and observe, but tonight I did not feel like it. It only reminded me of my friends who had risked everything for me and my people. I wanted to be happy, to feel that there was nothing to worry about.
I got up and slowly waddled over to the camp where my friends and family were sat. Some were talking and laughing amongst themselves, while others were sleeping out of reach of the dim fire light, heads held on their chests as they snored quietly. It was getting late.
The circle was formed just in front of a large cave carved out of a rock surface, big enough for an entire family to live in. The fire was set a few metres away from the entrance on a large pile of fallen leaves and uneaten bark.
At daytime, you could look along the rocks and notice it was dotted with more. Whenever conditions would take a turn for the worse, we would shelter in the caves until we could move out again. In good conditions, we could either sleep up in the trees or, as some were doing now, sleep around the campfire we set every night.
There were many stories to tell since the war ended, with the vast majority of our population having experienced life as a controller. Those that had a yeerk slug slither into their head and wrap itself around their brain, taking over all senses, controlling every move and sound they made, as they screamed and begged in the back of their own mind. We were hearing another such story tonight.
I found a gap in the circle next to my mother, and squeezed myself in.
Mother is roughly the same height as me, though she had a smaller tail and smaller, darker blades on her arms and legs. Beside her sat my little brother, shorter than both of us by a few inches perhaps, not yet fully grown. He was born not long before our father died. I feel that it had affected him. He seemed incomplete.
I made myself comfortable and let my legs rest out in front of me, using my tail for balance. My mother turned to face me and gave a shrewd look - I must have seemed unhappy.
“Toby Hamee sad”
She always knew if I had a problem. Then again, she was my mother. I faced her and forced a smile. “I am fine, just… tired”
“Toby scared of battle.”
She was the only other Hork-Bajir here who knew about the Animorphs leaving. I had told her last night in our cave while it was raining. I couldn’t sleep.
My smile faded. I gazed into her worried eyes and she stared back. “Something will go wrong."
She shuffled closer. “They come back. Jake fine. Marco fine. Tobias fine. All fine.” She gave me that motherly smile which gave me so much comfort. “Toby worry too much.”
She would be right. Perhaps I really was just worrying too much. “Thank you Mother.”
“Ket always here for Toby.”
My Mother had been my guide ever since I first opened my eyes. Even as a seer I had to look up to someone.
A new voice arose behind us, distorted slightly by the roaring flame. “Toby?”
I turned to look over my shoulder. In the light of the flames I could just make out Cassie’s silhouette.
I got up and walked over to her. “Hello Cassie.”
“Hi Toby, how are things?”
I forced on a smile, “I am fine. And how are you, Cassie?”
She grinned, baring her white human teeth, “I'm great! Ronnie's taking me to dinner tonight. Le restaurant Vieux Paris.”
“That sound wonderful. I hope it you enjoy it.”
“We have to treat a wolf we found before we go though. It’s been a busy day.”
Cassie has always been into animal care. She rescues them from around the local area and takes them to her own animal clinic for rehabilitation. Saving and releasing injured animals always puts her in a good mood.
“I hope I’m not distracting you from anything…” She looked embarrassed.
I shuffled myself so that my backside rested on a flatter surface. It is harder for me to see in the dark, which meant that it was harder to find a relatively comfortable spot. “Distracting me?”
“Well you were sitting with Ket.”
Ket was looking back at us. It appeared that she was eager to speak to Cassie, but she stayed sat down and decided not to interrupt. “We were just talking.”
Cassie hesitated and lowered her head. “I guess you’re worried too.”
“Yes, I am”
She looked into my eyes and I looked back into hers as well as the fire light would allow.
“I’m sure everything will be fine. They will be back in a few days. I just feel a little guilty for not being with them.”
“You have things to do here.  The clinic needs you. Ronnie needs you”
“I know.” She moved to a log on the ground and sat down on it, holding up her head with her palms. “I guess since the end of the war, we all kind of… fell apart”
She was right. After the war, the Animorphs went their separate ways, with Jake and Tobias coming off seemingly the worst. Jake fell into depression. His brother had died, as had his cousin Rachel. Tobias had not forgiven Jake for Rachel’s death, and everyone thought he had disappeared, though he had recently started coming to see my people again. He talked to me and the other Hork-Bajir often.
I knew what Cassie feared. She feared not just for the outcome of any battle the Animorphs faced, but for the relationships held between them. They may break up again when they return. This thought upset Cassie deeply.
“Everything will be just fine. You will see.” I knew this may not turn out true, and I felt agitated for putting in my own false hope, but I wanted to make her feel better. "While they are gone, you have Ronnie.”
“Thanks Toby. I guess a meal tonight with Ronnie will make me feel better. It will take my mind off of it.”
“How is Ronnie?” I asked, trying to bring up a more light-hearted conversation.
“He seems nervous. I think tonight’s going to be a very special dinner.” She grinned.
I joined. “You think…?”
She nodded like she knew.
“He’s going to propose?”
“I can feel it.”
I had learned a lot from Cassie recently. She often took me out into the dense human habitat to show me how they lived and their unusual culture. Humans were amazing, but strange. Very strange.
 I was once told that I was ‘The Devil’, which was surprising considering I was sitting in the Whitehouse at the time, surrounded by the political leaders of the country. I was even threatened with a lawsuit after someone tripped over my stray tail by the Washington Monument.
Our most recent visit though was to a building called a church. It was terribly boring. I had to sit quietly in a hidden corner so to attract as little attention as possible, and I swore I could have ripped my own head off. I was interested for maybe the first quarter of an hour, but it was irritating sitting in a cold tight corner, trying hard to make out echoing words spoken at the other side of the room. I decided to leave towards the end, but the crowd was not expecting a two-metre Hork-Bajir to stumble out of a corner in the middle of a service. I apologised and left rather embarrassed.
Cassie later explained to me the purpose of the gatherings. Sometimes weddings would take place there and a couple would become husband and wife. From what I have heard, human marriage is far more complex than Hork-Bajir marriage. I knew a lot more about these weddings now.
I noted that I was drifting from reality, and quickly came back to the conversation “And would you accept?”
She grinned. It was enough of an answer. Her eyes traced over the group huddled around the fire. “How’s the little guy?”
I knew where she was looking. At the far end of the group sat a female holding a small Hork-Bajir in her arms. She had given birth a few hours earlier, and Cassie had helped deliver the newborn. He sat curled up and asleep in his mother’s arms.
“He is fine, though he still does not have a name. The parents are exhausted after today. Too tired for such a decision.” I turned to face her. “Thank you for helping.”
“It’s no problem Toby, really. I love to help you guys, and I have time for things like that now since we hired new staff for the clinic.”
“Is that why you have spent so much time with us recently?”
“Yeah. Since we’ve hired so many I’ve been able to do different things. In fact, how about tomorrow I take you out to see a parade? There’s one starting tomorrow, around midday in the city. My treat.”
“That is very nice of you. I would love to go” I grinned in the fire light. “But… what is a parade?”
“You’ll see when we get there.” She got up onto her feet. “Anyway, I think I should check up on the newborn. Talk to Jer, perhaps. I’m sure she will have a few things to say about her new baby.“ Cassie began to walk away, and then swivelled to face me. “You look tired. Maybe you should rest for a bit.”
“Yes. I think I will go to my tree.”
She walked away from me and over to the camp, and she sat down next to Jer who looked lazily at her, gleaming in the light. She was happy, and what was there to stop that? She was free. Her baby was free. We were all free.
I watched as the little Hork-Bajir opened a large eye, slowly and curiously. He soon decided to crawl away, perhaps spotting some food nearby. He lost his balance and fell back onto Cassie’s lap, who cushioned his fall and lifted him into her arms. He smiled and quickly made himself comfortable, falling back to sleep.
I watched them sitting there. Peaceful. It is what we had always wanted, but deep down inside I knew things were not all right. Not yet, anyway. I craned my neck upwards to look up at the night sky, watching the owls fly past, the occasional aeroplane and the flickering stars.
My eyelids began to droop and I let out a big yawn. An hour or so passed before I walked over to my own tree, a few dozen metres away from the fire. The green leaves seemed to shine in brilliant shades of gold, rustling in the gentle night breeze. Fluttering, distant laughter wove into the wind to form an atmospheric, almost dreamy and ambient sound.
I climbed slowly up the side of the tree and pulled myself onto a large branch strong enough to hold my weight, let my limbs droop over the side and rested my snout on the smooth bark. I closed my tired eyes and let the noises take me away.

CHAPTER 2

I woke to the sound of birds.
Scratching the sleep from my eyes, I lifted my head and looked around the park. The fire that had burned through the night had shrunk to ashes, and there was no one around to be seen. I stretched my muscles while keeping hold of the small branch before wrapping my claws around it to slowly drop to the ground. I walked sleepily over to my families cave and peered inside. Nobody was in.
Rubbing the back of my neck, I tried to think where they could be. Maybe I had just overslept and the group had already gone off to harvest new bark. My tail shook off a stray leaf or two before I walked up to the nearest collection of trees at the near-side of the camp where the sun shone brightest. The group often went this way to find food so I sniffed around trying to catch their scent.
There was a branch low to the ground that looked to have recently been trodden on, so I investigated.
Yes! They had come this way.
I jumped up further into the tree and began making my way through the dark, following the scent of the others.
This is what I enjoyed most in the mornings - swinging through the trees. Sometimes I would travel for hours, simply for the fun of moving at high speeds over and under the miles of branches. Often I would get lost, but it did not matter, it just meant that I could have more fun aimlessly flying between the trees. It made me happy at the worst of times.
A Hork-Bajir learns to travel through trees at a very early age, usually after around 1 or 2 months. My father used to say that I was especially quick to learn. We learned by watching our mothers, clutching tight to her belly as she glided swiftly through the trees. Then, our parents would let us roam at their sides until we were confident enough to travel unsupervised. Of course, the parents would watch us, but from a significant distance. It was all about confidence.
After a few minutes of searching and sniffing, I could sense them clearly, and I knew that they were close. They would be nearby and already started with the day’s work. I could not tell how long they had been here. It could have been minutes, or it could have been hours. Either way, they would wonder where I had been, and I started to feel the usual guilt that came with sleeping-in during the harvesting hours. It was the norm that I was always first to wake up and they would never expect a seer such as myself to be late. Sometimes I wondered whether their expectations were too high.
The trees suddenly disappeared as I came to a clearance. I slowed down, jumped onto a low branch and began looking into the large open area. It was surrounded by a circle of beautiful trees and filled with lush green grass, a lovely little collection of wildlife and colourful plants. Just as expected, the group was here and hard at work.
There were two Hork-Bajir to each tree. One would strip off bark from near the top of the tree and pass it down to the second, who in turn took bark from lower down using their leg blades, and would place all of the bark by the bottom of the tree with their tail. Some Hork-Bajir collected the bark from the tree bases and placed it in the centre of the clearing.
We would strip enough bark to last the day to make sure that we did not run the area dry. We even made sure we planted seeds when the opportunity arose. This was an efficient process.
The group looked organised and it was pleasing to see. At this rate they should have been finished in minutes. They did not really require my assistance.
I could have gone back to the camp to sleep. I was still tired. They would not mind if I took a little nap back in my tree.
I grappled the nearest branch and prepared to leap back into the mass of trees, just as a face poked around the side of the pine I was sat on. He eyed me over and crawled up close, clamping himself onto the trunk.
“Hello Toby Hamee!”
“Hello Bek.”
He hesitated for a while, as if figuring something out. A big grin appeared on his face. “Toby late. Toby sleep.” He began to laugh.
Bek was a good friend of mine. We had known each other since we were little, both cooped up within a hidden valley before the war ended. I was slightly older than him, perhaps by a couple of months. Nevertheless, he would enjoy teasing me whenever he got the chance. I guess he is, as a human would say, ‘cute’, though I was not interested in him such a way.
He realised that I had overslept and must have found it rather funny. He jumped onto the branch I was standing on and moved next to me. “Toby never late.”
“I was tired and I have not been sleeping well. Not lately anyway.” I looked over the grassland, and I quickly noticed the number of Hork-Bajir there. The trees were crawling with them. “Bek, how many are here?”
He paused to absorb the question, and then he followed my gaze. He pointed downwards towards our group who was busy collecting bark from the trees below. “Us.” Then he looked around the area and narrowed his eyes. After a few seconds of silence he turned to me and grinned. “Lots.”
Well, I guess I was not expecting much more of an answer.
“Lots and lots.” He continued. “Group from that way.” He pointed over to the trees at the other end of the opening. “And that way.” He pointed in another direction. “Gather. Big feast.”
There was more than just our group here. From what I saw, there were at least four separate groups harvesting the trees, and with the amount of bark we were collecting, it was easy to see how busy it would be at the campfire tonight.
The Hork-Bajir had been split into groups spreading over an area of Yellowstone Park. Each group moved to its own harvesting area, yet stayed within about a kilometre of each other. This way, trees weren’t over-stripped, but we stayed close enough together to communicate without problems. Today though, the groups had decided to harvest together, and whenever groups harvested together, they feasted together as well.
“And this feast is at our camp?” I asked.
He nodded.
“Will you be joining us?”
He thought about it, then shook his head.
“No? Where will you be?”
“In tree.”
I felt slightly disappointed, for I always enjoyed his company.
“Toby want play? Swing?” He grabbed a branch up above with one strong arm.
“No, thank you. I need to rest.” Then I smirked playfully. “You still have a lot of work to do.”
He laughed, and in a flash, he shot back down the trunk and disappeared below.
I sat down on the branch and gazed up into the colourful morning sky. I leaned my back against the trunk of the tree and let my tail drop and sway below me. I just wanted to relax. Maybe I would skip the feast tonight, just crawl up my tree and get a good night’s sleep. No one would mind.
I felt myself starting to drift off into sleep, but just as the last thoughts escaped my head, something tugged on my tail. I lifted it up onto the branch and held it against my chest. I didn’t want to be disturbed.
“Toby Hamee?”
The voice caused me to jump and almost fall from the tree. I looked left and right but saw no one. “Hello?”
A face - an unknown face - was peering down at me from above. He was young, perhaps a year old. He jumped down and landed clumsily on the branch just in front of me.
I tried to put on a polite face, but frankly I was not in the mood. I must have looked terribly agitated.
He was holding a large chunk of bark in both his hands, and he turned to face me, using his tail to balance his self on the struggling branch. “Hello Toby Hamee!”
I did not recognise him. He would have been from a neighbouring group. However, he certainly recognised me. He was ecstatic, bouncing playfully on the end of the branch.
“Hello.” I said back to him.
“Toby sleep?” He asked as he started to calm down. Maybe he was slowly getting the hint that I did not want to be disturbed.
I steadily got up onto my feet and moved up to him. “No, I was not sleeping. Do you want help?”
“Sha find bark.” He handed me the large chunk he was holding. “New bark.”
So this was why he was so excited.
“Good bark? Good to eat?” He questioned.
I took the bark and began inspecting it. I rubbed my fingers across the rough surface, then with the underside of my hand, rubbed the smooth interior. I lifted it up to my snout and sniffed at it, licked it. It tasted fine. There was no apparent abnormality.
“Where did you find this bark?” I asked him.
“Big tree. By river. That way.” He pointed.
I handed him back the bark and gave him a friendly face. “This is good bark. It will taste nice.”
“Thank you Toby Hamee.” He moved his attention to the slab of bark and inspected it himself. Then, he used an elbow blade to swiftly slice the bark in half, and held a piece up to me. “Tree have lots. Toby Hamee have some.”
“Thank you, Sha.” I gently bowed my head forward and our blades met.
This was a normal thing to do when I met another Hork-Bajir for the first time. Sometimes, it is just a way to show love to another. Walking around here through the trees, you would often see partners doing this on the ground below. In such a case, it is a clear sign to leave them alone... In this case however, it was to show friendship.
We held there for a second, and then we drew our heads back. With a child’s smile, he was gone.
I looked at the bark once again, and I quickly came to the conclusion that I never seen this species before. Maybe the child had found an undiscovered area of the park. I lifted it to my nostrils and gave it another sniff, before closing my jaws around the soft edge. I held it in my mouth without biting, figuring the taste. It was easy on my tongue, and the taste…
The taste!
I had never experienced bark like this before, not even on the Hork-Bajir home world. I bit into it…
My eyes went wide in shock, and my jaw almost dropped. I almost dropped my food. Thankfully I avoided such a disaster.
I held the bark in my mouth for as long as I could before I instinctively swallowed. I even tasted it as the large chunks slithered down my throat, and I stood there in the tree, almost bawling in the pleasure.
I wanted more, and my stomach rumbled in agreement. I grabbed onto a branch up above and swung myself up into the trees, following the direction in which Sha went.
I began to follow what I thought was his scent. It led me away from home and around the far side of the harvesting area, going into a place I had never been to before.
Decreasing my speed, I watched the background zoom past me, and I took in the smells and the sounds that flowed through my senses. This place was not too different from where I lived, but the trees were foreign. Maybe this was where the bark had come from…
I stopped and glanced around the area. I was surrounded by unusual trees, ones that I hardly recognised. I felt the smell of new bark massage my nostrils.
My stomach wanted food, and I could not disobey it.
The tree I was stood on was fresh and unmarked. No Hork-Bajir were around to care for these, so they were grown long and rough. I shuffled over to the trunk of the tree to fetch a little snack.
A noise. To my left.
I turned to blink at the surrounding flora, and saw nothing but what I knew was already there.
Trees. A bush. Bark.
A tree wavered. I narrowed my gaze and waited to see if anything would appear behind the trunk.
It was another Hork-Bajir. A male.
He crept from behind the trunk and casually leant against an over-hanging branch, holding a large chunk of bark. He was only a few yards from where I stood, camouflaged against the trees. Looking closer, I saw clearly what he held. It was the new bark I was after. He opened his mouth to begin to eat, but froze as he noticed me. After a brief search with his eyes, his jaw closed, and he dropped the bark.
I did not know him, but I crawled over, using my arms to support myself over the unkempt branches. I came to a stop about a metre from him, and noticed that he was roughly my age. His skin was a darker green all over and he had piercing red eyes which shone as if luminous in the light of the shone. His blades were well kept, and he owned a large, rather noticeable scar running down from the top of his belly and curving down over his front, ending beside his tail.
He looked to me, then down at his bark, thinking. Then he reached over, offering the whole chunk of the bark to me.
How could I refuse?
I crawled up to him, taking the bark in my claws.
“Thank you…” I did not know his name.
“My name Tal Ganat.”
I stood and tried to regain my confidence. “My name is Toby Hamee.”
His eyes widened, and he looked over me once again. “Toby Hamee.” He finally said in agreement. “You are different.”
I must have heard this a thousand times by now. “Yes. I suppose I am.” The words came out sounding unusually meek.
He pointed to the chunk of bark that he had given me. “Gift. For Toby Hamee.”
"Where did you get this bark?” I asked, rubbing my claws against the soft surface.
“Tree by river.” He rubbed his belly. “Good bark. Tasty.”
I nodded in agreement. “Are you from around here, Tal?”
“Tal live near. At edge of trees.” He spread his arms to indicate the area around us.
“I have never seen you before. At least not from what I remember.”
“Tal know Toby.” He replied. “Toby know Tal brother.”
“I do?”
I thought about this, but it was not long before he interrupted.
“Tal always want to meet Toby Hamee.”
I was rather flattered. “Why would you want to meet me?”
“Toby save Hork-Bajir.”
I looked away in embarrassment. I rarely got this sort of attention.
The Sun was high in the sky by now. Its beams shone past the leaves and into my eyes. I covered them with my arm and moved over to the shade of Tal’s tree to stand beside him.
“It is bright out today.” I told him.
“Yes. Humans loud when Sun is bright.”
I paused. He had reminded me of Cassie.
“Tal, I have to go now.” I turned and got ready to jump away.
He quickly reacted and grabbed my arm. “Why Toby go? Not stay with Tal?"
“I cannot stay. I need to find someone.”
He stood up straight from the branch, looking perked. “Tal come too?”
I looked him in the eyes.
They appeared strange as they shot into me. There was something there, something I had never seen before. Something powerful. I could not even begin to describe it.
“Well…” I managed to say.
Perhaps taking him would not be so bad. No Hork-Bajir has been taken directly into the centre of the human habitat known as the city.Maybe after hearing where I and Cassie were going, he would want to stay home. Either way, he could not be allowed to come with us.
Why was I not saying no?
“OK.” I continued. “You can follow, but you must stay with me.”
He grinned. “Where we go?”
“Away from the park. Somewhere you have never been before.”
He did not answer. I was already swinging back towards home before he could voice his confusion. I heard him swinging behind me as we flew through the trees, the bark lodged in my jaw to give me full mobility.
We raced back to my camp and jumped from the trees onto the open grassland. Tal decided to look around at the scenery and introduce himself to my group, while I looked around for Cassie.
She was not here. I squinted to look at the human clock barely visible in the distance. It was a tall building on the edge of the human habitat which I used to tell the time.
Five-to-One!
Maybe she had left without me. She may have thought that I did not want to go.
“Did you see a human here?” I asked a male, Temef, who happened to be walking by.
He seemed bemused by my question. After making my question clearer, he pointed over to a small, paved concrete path surrounded by a large fence where a group of humans stood holding cameras. They were tourists.
“No, not those humans. A human who came here. To our camp.” I asked.
He thought for a moment. “Cassie come.”
“She did? Where is she now?”
“She go. Wait for Toby. You go to Cassie. Go to…” He was stuck in thought, trying to remember the name of Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre. That was where she would wait for me.
I smiled to him. “Thank you. The building is called Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre.”
He walked off, repeating the words to himself. Unnecessary to say that he was getting the words wrong, but I could help him with it when I got back.
He wandered off with the rest of the group to spend the day in the trees, just as Tal walked up beside me.
“We go now?”
“Yes Tal.” I glanced over to the large, white building that stood not far from the park. The Rehabilitation Centre. “We are going there.”
“Why go there?”
“Because that is where my friend is. We are going to see her, and she will take us on a little tour.”
He ****ed his head. “Human friend?”
“Yes. A Human friend.”
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:06:52 PM by Blu »

Offline JMRCTA

Re: #55 The Madness (Final edit)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
Uh... Blu, I just realize... it's LOOONG. I've only read the Prologue and the Chapter 1
HEY!

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
Wow! I found this kinda by accident, but I like it. There's only a couple of spelling, grammar, and/or punctuation issues you could fix, but it's good. If Tal Ganat and Toby end up being an item, that would certainly be different than my established personal fanon/canon set by "The Earth Diary of Toby Hamee", a story by AniJen21.

Now that I've posted here, I'll be notified of new posts, which is... not better nor worse than FanFiction.net's way of notifying readers of new chapters.

Offline Blu

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:33 AM »
New chapter up soon =)

Also, to the mods or admins, why has a perfectly normal word been censored?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:07:14 AM by Blu »

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
Also, to the mods or admins, why has a perfectly normal word been censored?

These forums replace "c o c k" with "****" no matter what, even if it's part of the word ****roach (the noun) or ****ed (the verb, rarely used as an adjective). It's kind of annoying when we're talking about cokcroach (deliberate misspelling) morphs.

Post Merged: March 11, 2011, 05:46:19 PM
Is this story on FanFiction.net? It should be. You'd get more input on it there.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:46:19 PM by Dogman15 »

Offline Blu

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
CHAPTER 3

We decided to avoid the rowdy human tourists and instead took the scenic route, headed towards Cassie’s Animal Rehabilitation Centre. Of course, the scenic route meant travelling a further distance, but the park was beginning to get busy, which meant that the shorter route would actually take an hour or two to travel. The crowds would hold us back to ask questions and take pictures - the usual tourist things.
The Humans were only permitted to walk on a small path surrounded by short metal railings. They would mostly just talk to us, though some wanted to stroke us or touch our blades. I just assumed it was a human thing.
We all knew well enough to avoid being touched. It would usually just be innocent stroking, but once that innocent stroking turned out to be a kidnapping of a young child. Thankfully, security was tight on that day, and the child was quickly returned to his parents. We were lucky.
Since that day, Hork-Bajir do not allow Humans to get too close. They were untrustworthy and often dangerous.
We swung our way through the trees, Tal a few paces behind. The trunks began to appear less frequent as we moved closer to the near-edge of the park, and I flung myself into the clearing that neighboured the Rehab Centre car park once we were close enough.
The car park was filled with maybe eight shining vehicles. Cars were, as I had discovered, vital to the human lifestyle, not only as a means of transport, but as a kind of symbol for their lifestyle. The lot was taken up mostly by SUV's.
Cassie had a smaller car, however. It was bright blue, a colour which did not appear anywhere in the car park. Perhaps she had walked to work today.
I looked past the shining cars and saw the Rehabilitation Centre, a large, brown building, only recently built that sat overlooking the nearby city. It had many windows stretching up five tiers, moving up to a slated roof. Inside were what appeared to be offices, storage rooms and long narrow halls. A few humans could be seen walking around the halls and offices, looking busy. Most wore brown or black suits, from what I could make out. Others wore all-white or more casual clothing.
Clothes were yet another invention the humans used. It was made from soft material and came in many different colours and patterns. Humans wore them to keep warm when it was cold and to cover certain areas of the body that they deemed unsightly. I was always curious as to how, in warmer climates, they wouldn't overheat, but it never seemed to faze them. Then again, they were warm-blooded.
Also, what could be so offensive about their bodies? We never hid ourselves. We had nothing to hide. Maybe the humans did...
I shook my head and tried to concentrate. I was ecstatic after bounding my way here, and my mind had begun to wander. I strolled up to the tall hedge surrounding the car park and raised my long neck over the top to peer around. The sight of my own reflection in a car window made me jump.
Tal, meanwhile, was keeping himself busy. He was halfway up a tree, slicing up some bark and sinking his teeth into it.
I was quick to notice that I was still holding the piece he had given me. It was locked in my jaw. My tongue instinctively rubbed against the smooth surface.
A minute or so later, the bark was gone, and I had a satisfied stomach.
Tal moved up to my side as the last chunk slithered down my throat. “We go there?”. He pointed a claw at the building.
“Yes. I think she will be inside.” I gave him a serious look to make sure he was listening. “Stay by my side, I do not want you to get lost outside of the park.”
He smiled cheerfully. “Tal not get lost. Always stay with Toby.”
I supposed that it was convincing enough.
I leaped forward over the hedge and landed on the other side. Tal quickly followed, and we bounded into the centre of the car park.
“Hot.” Tal said, referring to the tarmac beneath our feet. It had heated in the bare Earth sun.“Ground strange. Not like grass.”
“This is called Tarmac. It is a human invention. They use it so that they can move around in their cars.” I directed his gaze over to the collection of brightly coloured vehicles nearby. “They are very fast. Be careful around them.”
Tal stopped in the middle of the car park and looked at the ground. “Tarmac.” He repeated, and began stomping his foot. He then walked to the front of one of the cars and placed his hands on the bright metal. He was quick to retreat his hands with a shocked yelp. “Hot!” Backing away from the bonnet, he moved right into the path of an oncoming car. The driver in the front reacted quickly and pplied the brakes, bringing the car to a stop about a metre away from collision.
Tal turned to face the car and jumped in horror. “Car attack Tal!” He leapt towards me and almost knocked me from my feet.
The human in the car just stared in awe at the two out-of-place Hork-Bajir. I shouted my apologies as he sped off and ran Tal off the road and around the corner of the building.
This little trip had already come close to disaster.
“Tal not like cars.” He explained, beginning to calm down.
“You should have been more careful, Tal.” I kept my voice quiet, so as not to draw any attention. “I think that from now on we should stay away from cars.”
He nodded in strong agreement.
I swivelled my head to look along the side of the building. I saw the entrance nearby, a large glass box attached to the side of the building. At the top of this entrance was a long white banner, which read ‘WELCOME TO CASSIE'S ANIMAL REHABILITATION CLINIC’ in big red letters.
Over the years I had learnt to read the English language. This skill was very useful, especially when outside of the park.
We jogged over to the entrance and made our way through the rotating doors. As with most things Human, doors are a strange thing to us Hork-Bajir. Tal had not experienced rotating doors before, and was having trouble operating it. It took us a few minutes before we were both on the same side. I was already late to meet Cassie, and this just made me later.
After passing through the glass entrance, we came through into a larger room, the main reception of the building. There was a large desk at one side and a collection of small plastic seats at the other. The walls were covered in small paintings and plaques, sparing room for the occasional flora and soap dispensers. A small number of humans were dotted around the room, the majority of them sitting in the unappealing plastic seats. There was a woman sitting behind the reception desk reading a file. I recognised her. She was here when I had my teeth checked after "accidentally" biting a rock.
There was a Hork-Bajir ward here, the only one this side of the sanctuary. It was on the fourth floor and was blocked off from the rest of the building. They treated everything from broken bones to the Hork-Bajir equivalent of the flu.
They also gave jabs.
I hated the jabs.
The female sitting behind the desk was called Sue. She looked up from her file and raised her eyebrows as she saw us.
She was young, with long black hair which almost seemed to stretch under the desk where she sat. She also wore glasses over her big brown eyes, objects that humans wore to aid eyesight.
We walked as quietly as we could up to the desk, with the Human eyes in the room curiously dragging after us from the other side of the room.
“Hello.” Sue said, sounding forcefully cheerful. “How are you today?”
The staff were always very kind to us here. They would try to instil confidence in us so that we would come back willingly when we were needed. It was usually very comforting, but I felt that it was put-on more often than not.
Sue was always sitting behind the desk and always looking terribly bored. It was no wonder she had to force on a smile when someone came in.
I was about to answer her question, but she was quick to interrupt. “Um… Where is your guide?” She questioned with a raised eyebrow. “You should know you are not allowed out of the park without your guide.”
“Sue, it is me. Toby Hamee.”
“Oh.” She gave a look of embarrassment. For humans, this usually involves going slightly red in the face and averting the eyes. “Sorry, Toby, I didn’t recognise you.” She paused. “You should still come with your guide though. I don’t care if you know your way around, you’re still a Hork-Bajir.”
“I know, Sue, but I did not have time to find my guide. I am late.”
“You? Late?” She laughed.
Human laughter is strange. It sounded like they were hyper-ventilating.
“Yes. I am late. I overslept.”
She looked shocked. “That’s rather unlike you Toby.” She lay back in her chair and took a mug of steaming liquid in her hand. “So, what are you late for?”
“I have come to meet Cassie. I was supposed to meet her in the park at midday, but I did not arrive in time. Did she come back here?”
“Yeah, she did. She went upstairs to her office. She may be busy, but I’ll check for you.” She smiled and held up a phone to her ear before looking over at Tal. He was staring nervously at the humans across the room, not paying attention to us at all.
Sue took the phone from her ear and spoke in a near-whisper, “Is he with you?”
“Yes. This is Tal.” I nudged Tal and he turned to face Sue.
“Hello Tal.” Sue said with a welcoming grin. “How are you?”
“Tal happy. Tal with Toby. How are you?” he replied, repeating what Sue had said, though maybe over-exaggerating the ‘you’.
Maybe I should have been flattered. I smiled at him, nonetheless.
“I’m bored Tal. Very bored.” She was using Human humour, and Tal did not understand.
“Tal help?” He offered.
“Uh, no thanks.” She took up the phone again and pressed several buttons, before starting a conversation with who I assumed was Cassie.
“Hello ---- I have Toby here, says she’s come to see you ---- She says she was late ---- OK ---- Alright ---- I’ll make sure they do.” She put down the phone, moved from behind the desk and signalled for us to follow.
She took us through a narrow hallway and into an even larger room. There were more seats here, and many more humans. Between the seats were low wooden tables covered in small, colourful books and magazines. There was a water dispenser in the middle of the room, accompanied by a rotating fan. In a far corner was a small cushioned area filled with toys and human children shouting at the top of their lungs.
Many of the humans were bored. They yawned, looked impatiently at the watches on their wrists. Some were fast asleep.
This was the waiting room. And that usually meant a long, long wait.
Before I became too uneasy, Sue took us to a distant side of the room, away from the human madness and to the Hork-Bajir waiting area. Thankfully, the accommodation was well thought-out. The seats were large enough, with extra room for our tails behind us; there was plenty of floor-space for those who did not want seats; and several plants and small trees decorated the area in an attempt to make us feel more at home. Being enclosed in a hot, busy room full of humans is far from fun, but the trees and plants made it somewhat bearable, especially since they blocked us from the sight of the humans.
It was not that we did not want to see the humans, but that we did not want them to see us. We were here to be treated, not to be tourist attractions.
“You two can stay here.” Sue started. “Cassie is busy at the moment, but she should be down to collect you shortly.” With that, she was gone. Tal and I were left to wait.
I glanced over to the clock, and it said 2:00. I looked away and closed my eyes.
I opened them again and this time the clock said 2:30. I had slept.
There was a heavy weight rested up against my side. I turned to see Tal, fast asleep, leaning partly against my arm and shoulder.
Cassie was still not here. Maybe I could just have another nap until she came…
I turned my head over to rest against the wall behind me.
“Ah!!”
I jerked and threw Tal out of his sleep. He sat up drearily and followed my now wide-awake gaze at the human male who was sat right next to me.
“Hi.” The human male started, seeming totally calm. “I’m sorry, did I wake you?”
I stared at him in shock. He sat back in the seat which seemed far too large for him, legs crossed and bearing a confident smile. He wore a black, formal suit, as if he was involved in something important.
From what I could see, he was a relatively young human, perhaps mid-twenties to early-thirties. His eyes and short well-groomed hair matched a deep hazel-brown, and he held a strangely pleasant scent which seemed to radiate from his body. I believe it was called perfume or something similar.
“Um, hello?” He waved his hand before us and brought me out of my trance.
“Yes, you did wake us.” I muttered “Did you want to talk?”
“I did want to talk, yes.” He held out his hand, offering to shake. “My name is Terry. Terry O’Donnell.”
We took turns to shake the strangely-accented man’s hand, a formal human gesture which happened when two people met. Tal tried to repeat what I had done, but Hork-Bajir were not very good with shaking hands. The shaking was very much exaggerated.
“My name is Toby Hamee. This is my friend, Tal Ganat.”
“It’s nice to meet you both.” Terry continued. “You know, I’ve never seen Hork-Bajir outside of Yellowstone before. Haven't met any up close neither.”
“We prefer to stay inside the park,” I explained, “We are here because we are meant to be meeting one of the staff who is currently busy.”
He shot me a sideways stare, raising his eyebrows. “Haven’t I seen you on TV before?”
“TV?” I ****ed my head.
“Wait! I know now. You’re in the House of Representatives, aren’t you?” He said.
“Yes, I am.”
“Wow. That must be very interesting.”
I nodded, but in reality I had always found it very frustrating.
I finally gave into my curiosity. “Terry, are you trying to sell me something?”
He was stumped by my question. Tal, meanwhile, found himself lost from the conversation and stared blankly around the room.
“My dog is here,” He stammered. “Broken leg. Poor thing.”
“I am sorry to hear it.” I decided to play along with what I assumed was a lie. “But I do not think you have answered my question.” I politely told him.
He sighed and gave a defeated shake of his head. “Alright. You got me.” He held up his hands. “I’m also here for business matters.”
“Business matters?”
“I own a restaurant nearby. I’m advertising.”
“So you have come to an animal rehabilitation clinic?”
“Everyone has to start somewhere.” He said defensively.
“That is true.” I reassured.
“Yes.” His eyes glanced over us and rubbed his chin. “Say, Toby, how would you and Tal like to dine at my restaurant tonight?”
“Terry, you should know Hork-Bajir do not eat at restaurants. Firstly, we only eat bark, and I highly doubt that you specialise in this. Secondly, Hork-Bajir do not, and will not, use currency of any type, so how would you expect us to pay you?”
“My treat to you.” He replied, with regained confidence.
I raised an eyebrow. “That is very generous, and I thank you for the offer, but I am afraid I will have to refuse.”
He grinned. “I assure you that I have no bad intentions. I just need an outside opinion on my new restaurant. A visit from a Rep is just what I need.”
I turned away to think. What was there to worry about? The place would probably be filled with humans, so there was no chance of kidnap without a handful of witnesses. They would not hold weapons in a restaurant, so we were not really in any physical danger.
And the Yeerks were defeated more than two years ago. There was none left on Earth, apart from those locked away.
Then again, it could all be one big lie.
Perhaps he was just being nice. If he was, it would be better for us to accept. If it turned out the place was not suitable, we could just leave before we got too close. I could leave Tal back in the park if I felt too uncomfortable.
“Alright Terry. If Tal and I have got available time, we will come.” I looked over my shoulder to Tal who had started listening again. He nodded.
“Thank you, Ms. Hamee. I’m sure you won’t regret it.” He took up a large black briefcase from beside his seat and placed it in his lap. He pulled it open and digged through files of paper, before handing me a small piece of paper. “Well, I’d best be off. It was lovely to meet you both.”
We shook hands again and he left, leaving us with only the scent of strong perfume and the small piece of paper.
The title stood out bright and bold: TERRY’S. Below were details of location and opening times.
I read over the paper several times. I was feeling very suspicious, but as I read through it became ever more apparent that this really was just a little restaurant in a nearby street. No doubt he wanted me to approve of his restaurant for advertisement purpose, although why the human population would take resaurant advice from a Hork-Bajir was beyond me.
“Toby?” Tal, finally speaking up.
“Yes Tal?”
He did not answer, but once again, I felt his weight leaning against my shoulder. He had fallen back to sleep.
I should have stayed awake myself. It would not have been long before Cassie arrived, but as the seconds ticked by, I found it increasingly harder to keep my eyes focused.
I leant against Tal who he was already snoring.
I really should have stayed awake.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »
Again, great story so far, but I really think you should expand your readership by putting this on FanFiction.net also! I liked the details like "Ms. Hamee" and referencing canon. I actually had to refer to this picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Animorphs_Aliens_po ster.jpg to get an official look at what a Hork-Bajir tongue looks like. I had trouble picturing the new clinic to 100% accuracy.

The British spellings are only a minor distraction, but whatever.

Offline Blu

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
It is already on FanFiction. Getting no attention, however.

Chapter 4 coming soon, should be this week.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
Can you give me a link? That way I can maybe reccommend it on TV Tropes, once it's a little longer.

For FanFicRecs on TV tropes It's easy to link to a definite story on FF.net; it's a bit trickier to link to a story mixed in among message board/forum posts.

Offline Blu

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story_preview.php?storyid=5955797&chapter=1
I'm guessing you got that URL from your address bar when you were deep in "author-editing" mode? That's why it looked like that.

That exact URL didn't work, but using the story ID number (5955797), I was able to made my way to your story, which is as http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5955797/1/The_Madness You've got the domain name, then "s" for story ("r" is a reviews page), then the story ID#, then the chapter number ("1" if you're linking to the entire story for a new reader), and then the title with spaces turned into underscores.

I guessed at the title being "The_Madness". Thank you for the link!

Offline Blu

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
CHAPTER 4

White.
White.
White.
Nothing but white and a dead silence. My own breathing filled my ears, but nothing else.
It was just me, alone in a sea of blankness.
I sniffed at the air, smelling only myself.
I turned on ground that was not solid. All was white.
Empty white. Blind white.
“Hello?!”
Not even an echo.
I jerked! A sound?! Perhaps it was someone else.
No, it was just my chattering teeth .
My body tensed up, legs twitching and ready to run. My eyes darted around the blankness for any signs of possible danger and my tail stiffened, lowered between my legs.
I called again, and once again I received no answer.
A cold shiver shot up my spine - I was being watched.
I twisted my neck and looked back over my shoulder. I saw no one.
However fast I turned, whichever way my head was facing, it was always behind.
Panic!
I ran. I did not care where to.
The ‘being’ behind me was still there, watching.
After a while my pace began to slow. My tongue lolled from my mouth as I panted.
Soon my legs collided and tangled. I slammed into the dead white ground and quickly tried to lift myself, but I was weak. My arms simply collapsed.
Vision faded to a dreary blur. Even then, I noticed that area was changing.
The ground I was on…
It was liquid.
I could barely notice the blue-green, but I could smell the fumes.
Blood.
I was lying helpless in a puddle of blood.
It was not my blood. It was already there...
I gasped a desperate breath as I tried to haul my body up. My legs would not get a grip and I could not move. There was a presence above and behind me, it seemed, though I did not have the strength to look over at it. Nevertheless, I could feel its heat and the breath it lay on my spine.
I sat helpless, waiting for whatever was to come.
There was a sudden pressure on my left wrist. The presence was stepping on my arm, pinning it to the blood-soaked white ground.
“What are you?” I moaned. “What do you want?”
It did not reply.
I felt it grab one of the blades on my arm. Desperately, I tried to shake it off. My efforts, however, were futile.
The creature started pulling on the blade. The flesh tore. The blood spat. My ears focused on my cracked breathing and the squelching as the blade was twisted.
I cried in pain as my arm burned with agony. My tail flailed aimlessly in the air. It hit nothing.
The blade, after several sharp pulls, tore from my arm, taking a large fleshy chunk with it. My insides screamed, but all I could do was whimper softly to myself as I watched the arteries squirm and pour.
I screamed in distress as I felt my own blade sink into my back. This blade held there for a while, before it was dragged down across my spine, leaving a deep, bloody gash which cut directly through my backbone, disabling my lower body.
I ran out of breath and my head dropped. I wished to lose consciousness, but the blade slowly dragging through my flesh kept me wide awake, and I could do nothing but whine and yelp hopelessly.
This creature was drawing something onto me. It was writing on me!
The blade over every inch of my body, new blood adding to the ever-growing puddle that I lay in. The wounds slowly began to scar over, though not lessening the pain which radiated from whichever nerves were left.
The bright lights, the swirl of the liquid blood, the deadly white silence. It all began to fade.
Before I could fall away from consciousness, the blade moved from my skin. I heard a faint clatter as it hit the ground nearby.
My eyes were gradually becoming more focused and I saw the reflection in the blood. I was scarred from tip to tail. But those scars were words. Large, loud words.
I DID IT!
With what breath I could muster I cried out and yelled till my throat clogged with blood.
Every inch of my body was screaming “I did it”!
I DID IT!
Those words. Printed over me like graffiti.
I DID IT! I DID IT!
I cried, “What is this?!!”
The presence came around again and I could finally face it, but my eyes were still not clear enough to make out the figure.
The voice filled my head. It was familiar, but shattered. Broken. “This, Toby, is your nightmare.”
“Please…” I whimpered “Let me go… Let me go!!”
“I am afraid I cannot do that, Toby.”
I screamed as the pain shot to my hearts. I rolled onto my back, crushing my useless arm.
“You want to run. I know.” The voice said.
I could not talk. I could hardly breathe anymore.
“I have one question…” It spoke.
My eyes found their focus. I looked up clearly at the figure and it looked back.
“How can we run from ourselves?”

“Toby! Wake up Toby!”
I opened my eyes with a desperate gasp and stared at Cassie, whose face loomed over mine.
“Oh thank God! You’re awake!” She looked tense.
I twisted my neck and confirmed my location. I was still in the waiting room, surrounded by a number of curious faces.
It was a bad dream.
“Cassie?” I managed to whisper.
“Yes, it’s me, Toby.” She turned to the crowd of humans that had gathered around us. “Could you please go back to your seats?”
The crowd reluctantly dispersed, leaving me with Cassie, Tal, and another Hork-Bajir who must have arrived while I was asleep.
“Are you alright Toby?” Cassie asked.
My throat was burning, my head was throbbing, my entire body was shivering, and I felt like I was going to throw up. Nevertheless I replied in a rather more casual tone. “Yes, Cassie.”
She placed her hand at the base of the first blade on my head and held it there. “Your temperature seems fine, but you look terrible. Are you sick?”
I was panting. The horrible visions remained in my head, and I saw it still so clearly.
“Toby?”
“Yes?”
“Are you listening to me?”
The visions were burned into me. I felt dizzy, like I could suddenly lose consciousness, but I managed to keep upright with Tal trying his best to hold me steady, his hands resting firmly on my shoulders.
“Toby?!” Cassie yelled.
“What Cassie?” I replied gloomily.
“Tal, help me take her upstairs, she can’t stay here.”
“Yes, Cassie.” Tal replied. “Toby is sick?”
“I don’t know Tal, but something is definitely very wrong with her.”
And with that, they took me by my numb arms and hauled me out of the waiting room, dragging me past all the curious human eyes and leaving the other Hork-Bajir to sit and wonder what exactly had just happened. Once we were out and into the empty hallway, Tal lifted me carefully into his arms and continued to lug me around.
I must have fallen from consciousness briefly, because the next thing I remember was being shuffled into a large, bright office. I weakly lifted my head to look around, just as Tal hoisted me from his chest and gently laid me down on the floor.
My senses were quickly returning to normal. I sat up and balanced myself with my tail, which was still quaking.
“Toby?” Cassie knelt down beside me. “How are you feeling?”
I paused like I needed to check. “I feel better, thank you.”
“Do you think you’ll be alright to sit there for a while?”
“I think so.” I responded with little confidence.
“OK,” She turned to Tal. “Tal, don’t leave her side. If anything happens while I’m gone, just shout for me and I'll come right back.”
He nodded. “Tal not leave Toby.”
“Good.” She reached out to a small desk and opened a drawer, taking out a yellow object shaped like a little human. She handed it to me. “It's a stress toy.” She said. “If you feel something is wrong, just squeeze it. It might help you calm down.”
So I squeezed.
I guess I must have squeezed a bit too hard. The little man’s head exploded, and I was splashed with a gooey green liquid. My lower jaw started quivering.
Cassie blinked. She took the shredded mess from me and threw it in a box in the corner of the room. “Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea…” She muttered to herself.
She twisted and looked around the room, eventually setting her eyes on a large TV. She ran over and fiddled with the controls on the side, then wheeled it in front of us. The screen began to glow.
“Here, watch some TV. Maybe that will calm you down.” She angled the television in front of us and walked out of the room, her eyes staying on me till she was out of the door.
The TV began showing us a picture. I focused my attention on it and tried to dispel the memories and the fear.
The colours. The people. The sounds. The TV was inviting to me.
It even took my mind off of the horrifying images for brief periods, but they were always there at the back of my mind. I felt myself shudder as I saw myself dying, screaming, my body bloodied with those words.
I DID IT!
The words wrapped around me and forced out every last breath. Tortured me. Hurt me.
Changed me.
And I saw myself. I was no longer who I thought I was.
I saw anger. A murderer…
Warmth. It formed a hook around my shaking waist. It held me down and pulled me close. The images faded and I stopped shivering.
Tal knew I was scared. He was trying to comfort me with his touch.
“Toby not be scared. Tal is here.” He gently spoke to my ear.
I smiled and took his hand. “Thank you, Tal.”
“Toby feel better now?”
“Yes, I feel much better.”
So we sat there watching the TV with a hypnotised stare, hand-in-hand. I quickly forgot the visions and the trauma. It was as if Tal was healing me inside. Like he knew exactly what I needed.
The TV was showing us several people sitting and talking about a relationship that one of them was having with another. It was a confusing affair. Two of them - two human males named Joey and Chandler - were in a relationship with the same female. It was a tense and exciting situation that I never believed possible. Then again, humans were strange creatures and I had since learned not to underestimate (and often overestimate) them.
I heard footsteps stomping out in the corridor. Cassie pushed through the door holding several folders and a large purple cushion. She saw us and almost dropped it all to the ground.
“Toby?”
I shushed her. “Joey has put Chandler in a big box.”
My eyes stayed glued to the screen as Cassie walked beside me. She placed the folders on her desk and handed me the soft, fluffy cushion.
“I thought you were having a panic attack. You’re looking a lot better now though. I should use the TV more often!”
“It was only a bad dream.” I shocked even myself with the misplaced casual tone.
Cassie gazed at me, surprised. She turned to Tal, now devoid of fear, replaced by concern and confusion. “Tal, could you go and get us some water, please?”
He nodded and got up to leave the room, looking up and down the empty hallway before strolling away.
“Why did you send him to get water?” I asked.
“Toby I want to talk…”
She used a small rectangular object from her desk and turned off the TV. Then she took a chair from behind the desk and moved it beside me, sitting down in it and folding her legs.
“What is wrong, Cassie?”
“Toby…” She paused and looked at her feet like she could not find the words to say. “What was that?!”
“It was a dream.” I responded with complacency.
“What just happened was not normal. Dreams should not affect you like that.” Her expression was growing serious.
I looked away, embarrassed. She was right, and I realised I was simply trying to shrug it off as a normal nightmare. Why? Was I just avoiding the memory?
“I have never heard of a Hork-Bajir screaming in their sleep before.” She continued.
“I was screaming in my sleep?”
“Yes, you were. Loudly.”
I was shocked, though it definitely explained my sore throat.
“And you were kicking a lot, like… like you were being attacked…” She held out her hand to mine and I took it. “Toby, what exactly happened in this dream?”
I looked to the ground and clutched the cushion to my belly. I was beginning to shudder again. “I am sorry, but I do not want to tell you, Cassie.”
“I understand.” She moved closer and comforted me with a smile. “I just want you to know that I’m here for you. If you have a problem, I will do everything I can for you. Not just because it’s my job to care for you, but because you’re a friend, and I don‘t want to see you like that.”
“I know, Cassie, but I really do not wish to revisit what I saw. I do not believe I have ever seen such… images.”
“I’m sure by tonight you’ll have completely forgotten about it.” She rubbed my neck with her hand. “And I’m sure Tal will help. You two seem pretty close”
“We only met this morning.” I stammered defensively.
She grinned. “Well, you know what? I think he likes you.”
I snorted, holding in my laughter. “He is a Hork-Bajir. It is in our nature to get along with each other. The Arn made sure to-”
“No. I mean, like.”
I sidled my head. “I do not understand.”
She exhaled impatiently. “Never mind. I‘m sure you‘ll find out soon enough.” She pulled herself out of her chair and shuffled over to the desk, sorting through some files. “So was Tal already here before you?” She asked, bringing up a new conversation.
“He came with me. I told him I was coming here, so he followed.” I answered.
“Was he called in for anything? I remember he came in last week for the usual check-up.” She sat cross-legged on the edge of her desk. “As far as I’m concerned, he isn’t booked in for at least another month.”
“He is not booked in. He just decided to follow me here.”
“And you let him?”
“Yes.” I grinned, “I thought it would be nice to let him come. He seemed eager.”
“But Toby, we planned to go to town.” She pointed out, annoyed.
“I know, but I suspected Tal would change his mind when we told him that. I will take him home.”
“And if he wants to come?”
I blinked and averted my gaze. “I guess I did not think he would want to. If he does, then I see no harm in him coming along with us.”
“We can’t take him into town, Toby, it’s going to be packed out today. If he gets lost we won’t find him, unless we’re incredibly lucky or somebody decides he looks out-of-place and brings him back here.”
“I have already told him to stay with me. I promise you, he would not get lost.”
“Accidents happen.” She countered.
I stood up, towering over her. There was a significant size difference, so I had to crane my neck. “If he wants to come, then I will make him my responsibility. It would be my decision, after all.”
She smiled.”If you think he will be safe, then sure, he can come, but it’s not just him I’m worried about…”
“Do not worry about me, Cassie.”
“We don’t have to go. We’re probably late anyway, and I think you could do with a good sleep.”
“No Cassie, I told you last night that I would come, and I am here now.”
“I don’t want to force you into anything…”
I laughed. “But I want to go.”
“Fair enough,” She gathered a couple of folders and held them under her arm. “But if I sense anything wrong with you, I’m taking you and Tal straight home. I don’t want anyone getting hurt.” She walked over to the door and held it open for me. “Come on. I’ve got to give my Dad these folders.”
We met Tal staring blankly at the nearest water dispenser, just as we thought he would be. He had obviously been standing there for a while with absolutely no idea of what to do. We told him that we had to go and gave him a quick lesson on how to pour out a drink. I still do not think he understood.
Cassie took us down to the ‘Housing centre’ where all the animals were kept. We moved through many narrow corridors and down several flights of stairs, passing busy staff along the way.
“Where we go now?” Tal asked, bored.
Cassie replied, “We’re going to see my father to give him some stuff. Then if you want you can come with us into town.”
He ****ed his head. “Town?”
“Where lots of humans go.” Cassie continued, perhaps trying to put him off.
“Toby go?” He questioned.
Cassie directed an I-told-you-so grin at me. At least that is what I thought it was. Even after spending a lot of the past two years with her, I could never be sure.
“Yes Tal,” Cassie said. “She’s going.”
He gave a giddy smile. “Then Tal go.”
I looked to him over my shoulder. “Then you must promise to stay beside us. There will be many humans there.”
Tal nodded. “Always stay with Toby.”
It seemed to me that Tal was beginning to get excited at the prospect of spending the rest of the day with us. It suddenly dawned on me what Cassie meant when she said he ‘liked’ me. I could not help but notice his tendency to stare either.
We squeezed under a door, careful not to scrape our blades on the frame, and walked into the Housing centre, with Cassie leading the way.
It was a very large room, filled with cages and stables and glass vivariums. Inside them were a wide variety of animals, all watching us and pacing in their encloses as we walked past. A hundred eyes (including Tal’s) gazing at me like some sort of spectacle.
“Where is your father, Cassie?” I asked.
“He’s at the large enclosure.” She answered. “He’s about to go into surgery.”
My eyes widened. “What is wrong with him?”
“No, it’s not him.” She rolled her eyes. “He’s helping perform surgery on an animal that has just come in.”
“I am sorry. I thought you meant your father was going to receive the surgery.”
“Surgery for what?”
That was a new, deeper voice that came from an open doorway. A head appeared around the corner, grinning a toothy grin. It was Cassie’s father.
He had a strange piece of blue material on his head, and he wore long white gloves and a large blue ‘sheet’ which covered most of his body. I expect this was what they wore during surgerys.
“Nothing, Dad.” Cassie groaned. She handed him the folders, just as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead.
“How’s my little girl? Still playing with her friends? You should be working.”
Cassie casually pushed away. “Dad, you’re embarrassing me.” She said meekly.
“Don’t be silly, Cassie. I’m your father. I’m allowed to embarrass you.” He showed a strangely dominating smile.
He looked up at me. “Hello Toby!”
Cassie’s father, Walter, was very cheerful, and it was rather overwhelming after the recent events, so I just smiled broadly and said hello as casually as possible.
“Who’s your boyfriend?” Walter asked, referring to Tal.
I nudged Tal, wanting him to introduce himself.
“My name Tal Ganat.” He said.
They shook hands, once Tal remembered to do so.
“I’m Walter. Cassie’s father. Nice to meet you.” Walter started. Then he came back to me. “By the way, Toby, Ket has an appointment tomorrow.”
“My mother?” I raised an eyebrow. My mother had come in for the regular check-up only a week or so ago. “Why? Has something happened?”
“Oh, don’t worry, it’s nothing serious. She won’t be walking too well for the next few days though.”
My eyes widened. “What is wrong with her legs?”
“It’s not the legs we’re worried about.”
My eyes went wider still.
“We think she cracked a bone in her toe.”
“Oh…” I said with a hidden sigh of relief.
“Could you ask her to come in tomorrow?” Cassie asked.
“Yes. I will tell her tonight.”
“Thanks, Toby.” Walter said. “Anyway, I’d better go and make a start on the surgery. Crocodiles won’t wait all day, you know.”
“Crocodile?” Tal jumped in.
“Yes, a crocodile. Do you know what a crocodile is Tal?” Walter asked.
“No. What is crocodile?” Tal was getting ever-more excited.
“I’ll show you.” Walter turned to walk down the dark, narrow hallway he had appeared from. “Come with me.”
So we all followed him through the narrow passage, and eventually came into another bright room. It was a relief to come out of the hallway. Hork-Bajir eyes were not made for the dark. I could barely see a thing.
This new room was empty and looked as if it was in the middle of construction. At one side was a simple, blank wall painted beige that spanned the whole room. It felt unfinished somehow, and staring up at the empty, blank space, something did not feel quite right. I dismissed the unfounded caution.
At the other side stood a big glass box that may have been twenty feet wide by 10 feet tall. Inside was a lush, vibrant setting of little trees, rocks, and a small, rather attractive pond. I would have jumped in, were it not for the animal inside.
It lay there by its pond, basking in the heat of a fluorescent lamp burning bright above. It was asleep, by the look of it.
“Isn’t she a beauty?” Walter commented, as we walked up the window of the enclosure.
“Crocodile is big!” Tal gawked.
She was indeed big. Very big.
“Fourteen feet long.” Walter informed.
Tal did not understand human measurement, but he was amazed nonetheless. I quickly calculated the length myself. The crocodile, from tip-to-tail, was twice as long as me.
Yes, she was big.
“We picked her up from the local zoo.” Cassie added. “Respiratory problems.”
A group of uniformed humans came by the enclosure and began mumbling amongst themselves, whilst another group appeared to be setting up a metal platform by a thick door at one side. They were going to load the crocodile onto the platform, presumably after the other group had restricted the hulking reptile.
“What are you going to do?” I questioned Walter.
“We’ve got to operate directly on the lungs, so we’re going to have to cut her open. Then…” He glanced over at Tal. “… Operate.”
“Hurt crocodile?” Tal intervened.
“No Tal.” Walter reassured. “We are going to make her better.”
“Tal help?” There was no question about Tal’s determination to learn more about the crocodile.
Cassie answered him. “I think surgery would be a little too complicated for you, Tal. When she is better, you can come see her.”
“Anyway,” Walter interrupted. “You had best get going now. We’re about to move her.” He glanced over at the group of people who appeared to have started without him.
“Alright Dad.” Cassie said.
“Where are you going anyway?”
“We’re going to the parade in town.” Cassie answered with upmost confidence.
Walter raised a hairy human eyebrow. “With two Hork-Bajir?”
“We’ll be fine, Dad. We won’t be in with the crowd. I’ll find somewhere secluded.”
Walter chuckled. “You’ve grown up so fast, Cassie, I hardly recognise you anymore.” This, I could tell, was more human humour.
Cassie rolled her eyes. “I’m not a little kid anymore, Dad.”
This was a ‘good-natured’ conversation. Humans can say almost anything at all and still sound ‘good-natured’, I have found. In most cases anyway.
“Ronnie would know.” Walter teased. “You enjoy your day, sweetheart.”
“Thanks Dad.”
“Have a good time you two.” He addressed me and Tal.
With that, Walter jogged off towards the group of men, who at this point, were opening the enclosure doors. We wandered off back into the dark hallway.
“You’re father is in a good mood.” I told Cassie, once we re-entered the Housing centre.
“He loves his job. And ever since I told him that I was engaged, he’s been over the moon.” The she added quietly to herself, “Even though his first thought was that I was too young to get married.”
“‘Over the moon?’”
“It’s an expression, Toby.” She pointed across the room to a side-door. “We need to go that way.”
“What is through that door?” I asked.
“The car park.” She said. “We’re taking my truck. You’ll love it.”

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:18:29 AM »
Theories: It's either Crayak or The One, but probably Crayak, as he's more psychological than The One.

And at what point in the timeline does this take place? Have Jake and Marco gone off to save Ax yet?

Offline Blu

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:04 AM »
That was pretty much explained in the first chapter and will be further explained in the next few chapters.

Offline Mystic Skye

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
yous kno i love this fanfic
:):):)
RAF dating the sweet and adorable Adam <3