Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #53 The Answer  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #53 The Answer
« on: January 24, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »
Summary:

The battle is still raging, and it's out-and-out war. Jake, the other Animorphs, and Ax have found a way to slow the

Yeerks down, but now the Yeerks have decided the best way to win is to just destroy everything and everyone who gets in

their way.

Just when things look more than hopeless, Jake and the others discover help where they least expected: Taxxons.

Creatures so foul and heartless it's almost hard to believe that they are capable of having any feelings. But

Jake and the others soon discover that the Taxxon resistance has its own problems with the Yeerks. And, for once, it

looks like Earth may just have a chance...

Questions:
1. The book begins with a depiction of all the destruction following the Yeerk Pool explosion. The Yeerks are

essentially obliterating the city and, in an attempt to keep the Yeerks alive, the Pool Ship lands, stationing itself in

the middle of the city. The government seems to let it - a few jets are sent in and fried by Bug Fighters, but that's

about it. Do you think that the US government could have (should have?) done anything more now that the mother ship is

visable? Why didn't they?

2. Arbron, Jake and Cassie come up with the ultimate solution for the Taxxons - nothlitism via anaconda morph for

the entire race. Essentially, voluntary genocide.

3. While in the anaconda habitat, Jake and Cassie have a conversation about their lives after the war. Jake insists that

he will be able to return to a normal life, but Cassies seems doubtful. She insists that they put their relationship on

hold for at least a year. This conversation is considered one of the most important in the Jake/Cassie relationship by a

lot of people, as it is one of their last as a couple. What did you think about it?

4. Ax reveals that the Andalie high command intends on eliminating Earth instead of saving Earth. While this move was

not necessarily unexpected at this point in the series, do you think it makes sense? Are the Andalites acting rashly, or

from a militaristic standpoint are they making the logical decision?

5.What do you think about the way Jake used Erek the Chee?

6. Do you think that Jake made the right choice in sending Rachel off on her mission without first consulting in the other Ani's?

7. Was Jake's decision to use Doubleday and the Auxillary Ani's as a diversion the most effective plan?

8. Jake willingly flushed over 17,000 Yeerks into the vacuum of space in a scene that parallels Elfangor's first journey when he refused to follow a similar order. What does this possibly unecessary action say about Jake at this point in the war? How has he changed?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read: #53 The Answer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
I get kind of a mixed message with the Taxxons. Obviously the Hive can control their hunger, so why can't they just go home and try to solve their food problems instead of becoming a different species altogether. I don't particularly like the idea of using the morphing ability like that.

One thing about the Andalites wanting to wipe out earth is that it's pretty much the same thing Alloran tried to do. Some fans supported this action because it's just one planet. Well, what if that planet was yours? Do you support it now? Well?

Jake and Cassie's discussion was an emotional one, but part of me didn't even want them to be together in the end after what had happened. Mostly because I was still angry at Cassie for what she did in book 50.

I think Jake's idea with Erek was a good idea, but the way he did it was a bit wrong. On the other hand I didn't really expect Erek to be quite that angry. Jake was just trying to figure out a way to bypass the guy's programming, and I can't think of many other ways to do it. He didn't have to go and drain the guns, though.

I don't agree with Jake flushing Yeerks. Why did he do it? To get Visser Three to rush to the bridge? Why would flushing Yeerks make him want to do that? This is Visser Three we're talking about here.

I think I would have tried a different distraction than what he did. Though I'm not sure how to do it so it would still be convincing.

Sending Rachel was a good plan. If she wasn't on board, Tom's Yeerk would have destroyed the Pool Ship. It was just, again, done wrong. She ignored the dracons, and spent too much time destroying machinery when she should have focused on the polar bear and such. She also should have known that Tom morphing something with scales would be very bad.

I don't know if the world leaders were getting something redy or not. they would need time to get all their militaries together to do something.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
Jake and Cassie's discussion was an emotional one, but part of me didn't even want them to be together in the end after what had happened. Mostly because I was still angry at Cassie for what she did in book 50.

Although Jake is clearly still angry for her about this, too--and it ultimately burns a huge hole in part of his Book 53 plan--I think this conversation is important for showing that Jake is trying to make amends with Cassie. At least part of him still loves her and believes that they can reconcile their disagreements.

Of course, Marco had been telling Jake from the beginning he could never return to a normal life if they somehow managed to survive the war, so his proposal may have never been more than a pipe dream, anyway.
Aluminator's RAFsister

NateSean

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
1. I mean, most of the US didn't believe the governer when she went on air and denounced the Yeerk Empire. Heck, even after the incident on the George Washington, the planet remained oblivious.

I truly believe that this is how easy it would be to have a passive invasion of Earth. So easy that even when the Yeerks have resorted to "Pick up the chessboard and throw it across the room", there will still be people sitting on the opposing side wondering who's move it is.

2. Not Genocide. I do believe there are still Taxxons on the Taxxon homeworld.

And am I the only person who sympathizes with the Taxxons? Especially after Tobias' description of their hunger. It's like, the Taxxons weren't hungry for power, they were hungry for food. And having been in some very difficult situations, I know what it's like to be so hungry that all you can think about is what you are willing to do to eat.

The Taxxons were victims to their bodies. The Yeerks exploited their weakness.

3. I think it was very grown up on Cassie's part. It's no different than me telling a partner that I've been fighting with that we need to stay seperated for some time.

Yeah, people are upset with Cassie for giving the morphing technology to the Yeerks. Well, I wasn't too happy that the only solution to MM3 was having to erase an innocent man from existence but it worked. Cassie has always been the one to make the surgicially precise moves in the group. They may have been the bloodiest, most insane moves of them all, but they were the moves that had to be made.

And her decision to put their relationship on a back burner for a while was a smart one. Sorry, but Jake cost himself that relationship. That's my two cents on that.

4. It was the Andalite military that made that call. As Ax stated, the military doesn't speak for the Electorate, which is basically the civilian population. The voters as it were.

What the Andalites military was planning to do was called "attrition". It's basically attacking the population so that it can't be recruited by your enemy. Humans are prolific breeders. There are possibly more humans than there are Andalites because the Andalite homeworld practices population control and so, killing the host species that can easily overwhelm you by sheer numbers alone is a legitimate, albeit desperate move.

5. Jake was using everything at his disposal. The Chee were an ace in the hole and Jake played it. Again, desperate, but legitimate and almost forgivable considering the Chee now considered Earth their homeworld.

6. Yes and Yes. Tom was a loose end and Rachel was the only one in the group who could pull it off. However, using a Chee to cover her when she had to demorph might have bought her some more time after she killed Tom. But I digress...oops, did I just give away a potential Saving Rachel fanfic idea?

7. Again, using what Jake had at his disposal was the right move. He covered all of his bases and used everything that was available. It's like my personal motto, "Play every trick you have and carry a big back of tricks."

8. I think it was an awful move, but again, not unexpected. How many civilians got killed during air raids and bombings in World War Two? And don't try to play that off because it was "friendly fire". A lot of the time, those bombings were unnecessary and used to prove a point.

I'm not justifying what Jake did, but I'm not going to make him eat crow over it either.

In the end, the main theme in this book was desperation.

The destruction of the Yeerk Pool was a desperate move. The Yeerks were making a desperate bid to finally control Earth by dropping the pretense of a passive invasion. The Taxxons are desperate to end their hunger forever and are willing to take on different forms to do so.

All of what has been done in this book was an act of pure desperation. And I think it's the perfect theme for what is basically the penultimate book of the series.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
I don't think it was Jake that cost them the relationship. It was Cassie. Betraying the team and forcing jake to lead in a time when he was unfit to lead were bad ideas. In three years of war they should have been able to manage without him for a few missions. Even if it was the last great mission. That's part of the reason why things went so bad in the final arc. their leader was broken, and they didn't have a pinch hitter, as it were.

I sympathize a little with the Taxxons, but the truth is I spent so long not sympathizing with them that it's hard to do it in the last arc. Yes we see they're victims in TAC, but that still wasn't quite enough given the rest of the series up until Arbron showed back up.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
1)No, so no. I feel bad for the two fighters that got picked for that run, no point just chucking more at em
2)Personally I'm just surprised that the Taxxons were so willing to go along with it: they're concious even to hate the hunger, but can't control it. A lot of focus folks fuss about things they want to change-but they never do. I'm shocked such a large sect of the population would.
And pissed no one ever talks to one while it's in morph, but that's neither here nor there I suppose
3)Mush
4)***-move. After all this, plan A is still screw over the guys that have been winning: makes a tiny bit of since I suppose but still-*** move
5)I always makes me "whoa" so to speak. It was also a *** move, but I think it made more sense
6-8) Okay, maybe it's just early, but I think I can answer all that with well, *** move. It's cold, but really understandable.
But I'll for now on the note that I don't envy Jake, and I really don't blame him, especially with regards to Rachel.
She could have said no, she could have told someone, but she didn't. Everyone got more than a little scarred but, well-we'll get to that in the end: The Beginning
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 05:32:26 AM »
 :clap: :hyper: Bravo, Terenia! On getting this up!
To me #53 and #54 are kind of merged, so I gotta apologize, for I may have answered some of these with a mix of knowledge from the two books. Sorry.

1. The book begins with a depiction of all the destruction following the Yeerk Pool explosion. The Yeerks are essentially obliterating the city and, in an attempt to keep the Yeerks alive, the Pool Ship lands, stationing itself in the middle of the city. The government seems to let it - a few jets are sent in and fried by Bug Fighters, but that's about it. Do you think that the US government could have (should have?) done anything more now that the mother ship is visable? Why didn't they?
We could assume that the US would have done more hardcore attempted with some more heavy explosives off panel. Here, it could have the case of a missed opportunity on KA's part to once more highlight the agressiveness side of the humans as a race, by having Jake narrate some sort of new unseen weapon (aluding to the ones the US no doubt currently has at their disposal), that was somewhat innovative to human standards, but ultimately, lameslime in comparison to the Yeerks' alien tech.
We all know an N2 mine or H-bomb would do zero-to-nothing against a Yeerk force-field, really.

2. Arbron, Jake and Cassie come up with the ultimate solution for the Taxxons - nothlitism via anaconda morph for the entire race. Essentially, voluntary genocide.
I too had my reservations about this use of the technology. Simply because of the ethics a character like Cassie just 'conveniniently' ignored. It's probably Cassie's greatest hypocrisy act, as an Animorph. Someone who believes in Nature with such conviction, practically to an exoteric level, suddenly going with altering the way Nature dictated a species in THIS scale?!?!
But I suppose the Taxxons themselves sought this, so there was no personal gain in the Animorphs' part, really. Especially considering they didn't have posession of the Blue Cube during this instance.

...And am I the only person who sympathizes with the Taxxons? Especially after Tobias' description of their hunger. It's like, the Taxxons weren't hungry for power, they were hungry for food. And having been in some very difficult situations, I know what it's like to be so hungry that all you can think about is what you are willing to do to eat.

The Taxxons were victims to their bodies. The Yeerks exploited their weakness....
:clap: Exactly! And this is why I feel Cassie and the others were a bit harsh on their low tolerance for Taxxons in some of their clashes. The Hork-Bajirs are better only because they are herbivores who happen to be mean-looking?!?!

But if you look at this solution to the Taxxon element of the war, as the guimmick twist in their whole Yeerk hold thing, that it is, then this outcome is not so bad, me thinks.

On the subject of Arbron's appearance, I found it an unexpected and pleasant surprise.
To find out he turned into some sort of Taxxon-idol as he continued fighting in the Taxxons Homeworld, and later at some point been taken by the Yeerks. You could almost feel his helplessness and disgust dealing with the Tom-Controller, as he silently went along with the Yeerk-traitor.
To have him turn up at this stage of the series was vital to pull the Taxxon's 'voice' in this war. I supsect we wouldn't have learnt of all the Taxxons' feelings at all, otherwise.

3. While in the anaconda habitat, Jake and Cassie have a conversation about their lives after the war. Jake insists that he will be able to return to a normal life, but Cassies seems doubtful. She insists that they put their relationship on hold for at least a year. This conversation is considered one of the most important in the Jake/Cassie relationship by a lot of people, as it is one of their last as a couple. What did you think about it?
I saw this scene as a goodbye dialogue between the two characters. It just wasn't going to happen. Much like Tobias and Rachel hadn't been happening since, jeez, I can't even remember what stage in the series, now.

4. Ax reveals that the Andalie high command intends on eliminating Earth instead of saving Earth. While this move was not necessarily unexpected at this point in the series, do you think it makes sense? Are the Andalites acting rashly, or from a militaristic standpoint are they making the logical decision?
It was a bit repetitive and predictable, even, true as it was to the history of the Andalites in the war. The Andalites were never going to be the heroic figures we were led to believe at the start of the series. I actually think their role in the last book makes them more interesing as characters. Shows their military as the acidic supercilious extreme specimens of their optimistic species. Ironic, because it was the humans winning the war for them.
Poetic even, because it is the freed-Alloran (at the end), the one with the moral to oppose them.

5.What do you think about the way Jake used Erek the Chee?
It was wrong and low of him, yes, but once again, necessary.
What was with him draining the Mothership's Dracon cannons. HOW WAS HIS PROGRAM SAVING THE MAJORITY OF LIVES BY DOING THAT?!?!?!? Setting the Mothership, with the greater number of Yeerk agents, freed-hosts and members of the Earth resistance, to be destroyed by the Bladeship, with the lesse numbers?!? Doesnt' compute.
Indeed, with the Mothership still armed, a deal could have still been made. Him draining the Dracon cannons virtually sealed the whole window of opportunity Rachel had of getting out of the Bladeship with her life, in my view.

5. Jake was using everything at his disposal. The Chee were an ace in the hole and Jake played it. Again, desperate, but legitimate and almost forgivable considering the Chee now considered Earth their homeworld.
Totally agree, here, mate.

6. Do you think that Jake made the right choice in sending Rachel off on her mission without first consulting in the other Ani's?
This is a tough one. Because Jake was done with 'being on the back of his foot'. For once he had clarity of vision when he really neeeded. He saw the whole end game at this stage and knew ALL THE CHARACTERS involved and what they could potentially do and acted on it.
This was the decisive stages of the war, where in he couldn't afford to have Cassie's morals in play and Tobias' feelings for Rachel ('just for show' as they may have been at this stage). So he removed those factors for the sake of the ultimate goal: Get Tom.
They all knew what was at stake. They all knew what they were doing, especially Rachel. No one was really wrong, in this stage.

...However, using a Chee to cover her when she had to demorph might have bought her some more time after she killed Tom. But I digress...oops, did I just give away a potential Saving Rachel fanfic idea?
It begs the question. Erek wasn't THE ONLY Chee the Animorphs interacted with. They had significant numbers and now that you mentioned it, I think Jake overlooked this possibility completely.

7. Was Jake's decision to use Doubleday and the Auxillary Ani's as a diversion the most effective plan?
Now this is a tough one. Though he didn't fool any of James' or Doubleday's people he did sent them in as, quite literally, expendable pieces. The plan was sound. He knew the enemy, he knew how Visser Three-now-One thought. He had to trick him by setting up the diversions that would get their attention away from the main event! With the auxiliaries' help and the help of the military he could do the facade.
However, watching it, as he did in fly morph, would have been agonizing in itself.
Was it the most effective? That's a tough question, especially considering the Visser is on to them in engineering the moment after it's all done.

8. Jake willingly flushed over 17,000 Yeerks into the vacuum of space in a scene that parallels Elfangor's first journey when he refused to follow a similar order. What does this possibly unecessary action say about Jake at this point in the war? How has he changed?
I kind of hate how we are let to think Jake bad on this instance. But personally, no one has the right to blame, Jake, really. All this fighting, Jake knew this was going to be the final stand, being up there in the Mothership pool, it was uncharted territory. Like Cassie will state later on, "before Yeerks enslaved humans, no human came to the Yeerk-homeworld and stepped on a bug" (I'm paraphrasing).
I am probably going to get cruxified upside down for this, but I think Jake was justified. There was just no way of knowing which types of Yeerks were there and they NEEDED that distraction. Jake didn't set out to do that specifically, the opportunity rose out of nowhere when Ax brought it up.
I think in that specific instance, there were a world of emotions going through the Anis' fighting spirit, in particular Jake. They were winning onboard the Yeerks' very Mothership after so many attrocities commited to them and the humans by the Yeerks, REGARDLESS of what type of Yeerks they were.
Jake found himself knee-deep and on 'a high' with the freed-Controllers joining their forces. Opportunities were presenting themselves and he had to kee making those calls in those short spans of time (even more than usual in his life as the leader of the Anis), had to keep the ball rolling, and he made the call on a bit of a rush, as we later find out also, granted, but in the end, that's exactly what war is.

For what it's worth, I for one, would thank Jake, and would take my hat off to him for doing what it took to save the human race. I know I wouldn't have achieved half of what he has.