Author Topic: Why was Jake so important to Crayak?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: Why was Jake so important to Crayak?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »

Why Jake though? I would imagine that would make anyone who starves out a Yeerk fall to that condition, but I've never thought of the thing being starved out as:agony agony, quick view of Crayak, agony death.
Have to think there's more to it

How many people have we met that have been infested and then starved out their Yeerk? Jake is the only confirmed case we have met. The crazy old lady from Megamorphs #1 may also count, but maybe that's part of the reason she was insane!  ::)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
Originally Crayak was just interested in Jake because he was the leader of the resistance against the Yeerks and a part of the Ellimist's plans. After book 26, he started to really hate Jake because he was responsible for destroying the Howlers.

That pretty much sums it up. I don't think there was anymore to it than that. Once he realized that he couldn't get to Jake (MM#3), he tried to get the Drode to play devil's advocate with Rachel instead (#27, #48, etc).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:59:17 AM by Truth »

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
That pretty much sums it up. I don't think there was anymore to it than that. Once he realized that he couldn't get to Jake (MM#3), he tried to get the Drode to play devil's advocate with Rachel instead (#27, #48, etc).

Exactly, thanks Truth. Crayak and Drode clearly approved of the darker side of Rachel's personality and tried to use it against Jake; clearly without success.

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
Crayak is the animorph's version of the devil. he wanted to make jake have a pact with him and therefore having the fate of humanity firmly in his hands and snubbing the Ellminist at the same time.

i am surpised however that Applegate didn't go darker. have one of the animorphs die in the serise and have Crayak offer jake to bring him/her back at a price...

but of course this kinda of way of thinking fits the end of the serise where Rachel dies and jake either make the deal with the Devil to bring her back or simply leave thing as they are.

Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
How many people have we met that have been infested and then starved out their Yeerk? Jake is the only confirmed case we have met. The crazy old lady from Megamorphs #1 may also count, but maybe that's part of the reason she was insane!
Fair enough, but I still won't buy that that's standard Yeerk dying events if for no other reason then Ellimist is on the same plane of existence as Crayak, so either 1) you'd see them both or 2(and more likely)it had to be deliberate by Crayak cuz in that plane there is shouldn't be a physical form, Crayak had to project his giant Clearisil ad dream form for someone to see to see. Doubt he'd do that regularly
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
Well it wasn't just the Yeerk dying that made Jake see Crayak, it was also the fact that Crayak knew Jake was involved in the Ellimist's plans (even though the Ellimist hadn't revealed himself to the Animorphs yet, but he did in the following book).

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
yeah but I still don't think it's clear that the yeerk dying had anything to do with seeing Crayak as a dependent event. I'd say he chose that moment chose it was already tramatic, so lets add an eyeball to really freak out the kid, but the Yeerk dying isn't what causes it.

And I remember now there is one other confirmed starvation: book 8 as they leave the theater, the guy is screaming and hollering about Yeerks being here and freedom; nothing about "get out get out, oh no, eyeball of doom; freedom!"
Yes!
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
The former controller probably shrugged it off as a hallucination like Jake did and concerned himself with the fact that he was free.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
The former controller probably shrugged it off as a hallucination like Jake did and concerned himself with the fact that he was free.

I don't know.  It seems more probably that Crayak intended to be seen.  I doubt it'd be good for business to be seen by every host of every Yeerk that is starved out.  And that assumes a lot of things about Yeerks including that each and every one ends up getting a visit from (or at least see) Crayak when they die.  I doubt that's the case.

I'd guess Crayak used the momentary opening to show himself to Jake.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
maybe he just used the fact that he was on some kind of middle ground between life and death to pop up without breaking the rules by appearing in the real world

no im sure he wants to be seen by as many people as possible, he wants to be feared and all that, and its not like appearing to everybody is a waste of his time, hes omnipresent, he can appear to every dying being in the universe and watch sanford and son all at the same time