Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 2, #2 The Visitor  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 2, #2 The Visitor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
Filler doesn't mean pointless. filler just means it doesn't have to do with the overall story arc, and it COULD be skipped and you wouldn't be lost or confused.

However, that doesn't mean it's pointless. For instance, this book was very character-driven and we got to understand some of the characters a bit better. Rachel, of course, as well as Chapman. It was also the very beginnings of the Tobias/Rachel 'relationship'.

So no, it doesn't have any grand battle against the Yeerks, a new Andalite character, or a new Visser being introduced. Nothing that happens in it really has any impact on the overall story arc of the series, but it does have lots of characterization, which is every bit as important as any of those other things.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »
oh ok...then none of the books (except maybe the alternamorphs) are pointless. they're all filler.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
Well, I dunno, I think there were a couple that tried to be filler and ended up being pointles. #2 wasn't one of them though.

I actually never liked #2, which is strange because Rachel is one of my favorite Ani's. I found it a bit anticlimactic and boring at times when I first read it (I was too young to really get into the whole characterization thing). Upon re-reading it I liked it better, but it still isn't my favorite.

Also, I get the feeling that Marco, if the Animorphs scenario hadn't played out, would have become a douche bag. His way of coping with things that scare him is to get defensive and joke around. He makes the comment about not being able to be Tobias' friend if he hunts to kill. He says a few other things as well. I just got the kind of impression that to outsiders he wouldn't come off as the kind of person you'd necessarily like being around b/c of his snide sarcasm.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »
I agree with the first part of your post, but not the second. In high school, I had a friend named Drew that was pretty much the spitting image of Marco (Attitude-wise and looks-wise as well, only white instead of Hispanic), and he was loads of fun and everyone loved him, and he was one of my best friends.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
Maybe. I guess from the outside he seems a bit cold, which is kind of what KA was going for, I think. I'm also thinking forward to MM1 when he is the only one not invited to the one girls pool party. I think maybe his humor would have been more appreciated later on? But it would be relatively easy for someone to misconstrue his sarcasm for cruelty at times.

(Actually the reason I say this is because personality-wise I'm the closest to Marco and I often accidentally offend people when I'm being sarcastic and have to explain myself)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
I think that girl was a bit of a jerk. Why refuse to invite someone just because they played a harmless prank three years ago?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
I don't know about her not inviting him. seems justified to me. But calling him not funny...well I approve Marco for what he did...if the veleek wasn't there.

But let's talk about that when we get to MM#1...

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
1)i think maybe in the very begining since in 46 (i think) there's a journal of jake's great-great grandfather or whatever was keeping a journal for the war. My opiniaon
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline rachel91

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 05:31:56 AM »
i loved when jake refuses to leave rachel. they did care about each other however strained their relationship was at times

Offline LorenF15

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
I never understood how Jake morphed a flea...how was he able to touch something you can barely see??

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
I've held fleas before. Gotta get them off the dog somehow. :P