Author Topic: Animorphs with an older audience.  (Read 9168 times)

Offline voodooqueen126

Re: Animorphs with an older audience.
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »
That makes me feel a little sad, because of all the times I started writing stories (that I never finish), I never tried to make an underlying theme. I was never trying to teach aesops or give life lessons. I was just trying to entertain, period.

I mean, if I write a story, and people learn something by reading it, then great. That's fine. But that's not the main goal. It's mainly me publicising the kind of fantasy stories that I think about in my head, just to see if people other than me think they're cool.
Not necessarily bad that you don't seek to teach an aesop. You could be subconsciously inserting a theme as you write: As people have said about 'a series of unfortunate events' and "Harry Potter" is that the author subconsciously inserts theme without being fully aware of it. Having said that, not every body would agree with me: My father says that the reason European literature is not as good as English literature (just his opinion not mine) is that authors like Voltaire overwhelm any semblance of realism in favour of hammering us with theme which results in literature which he describes as "silly", whilst English writers seek to tell a character driven story. However my counter argument is that the problem with Candide is not that it is theme driven, but rather that is so theme driven that it devolves into author tract and Voltaire wasn't really seeking to tell a story anyway but was attacking Leibniz. (okay bad example but you get the point)?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »
Yeah, I get it. It could be good to find a medium between the two. Try to teach some lessons once in a while, but don't get anvilicious about it. Don't ruin the story for the sake of battering the fanbase with your views.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »
moderation is probably the key here...I love Tv tropes don't you?
Where can I read your stuff chad it sounds nice.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
I do love it. So much. A couple of things I found recently are wholesome crossdresser and dropped a bridget on him. He/she is so pretty.

Probably the only things that are around anymore that I've written are here in the fiction section. Chronicles of an Andalite Spy is one. I did quite a few chapters on that. I also made one about Tobias mating with a hawk thta was almost finished, but I couldn't seem to do it. I forget the title.

I made a character fic about one I made for some RPGs at another board, but that was a long time ago. If you go to Zelda Universe, and look up posts by Chad (no 28), then you might find a fic called Boomer's Travels.

The other stuff has been lost and forgotten on older computers that were gotten rid of when we got new computers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:59:54 AM by Chad28 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
You guys make somereally, really good points here.. Thanks for that :)
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »
     Alright, I'm just going to say right now that I never saw Tobias as someone who would kill themselves just because life was too tough. Tobias always had that strength in him, it just took getting trapped as a bird to bring it out of him and allow him to discover his independance. But Tobias has always been looking out for himself, so I guess we can say that he was always a predator. Sure, Tobias was a really lonely kid, and he never knew love until he met Rachel--and, by some extension, Ax-- but...I don't know, I still don't see Tobias as the person who would resort to drug use and suicide--though, that doesn't mean that I'm saying people who use drugs or resort to suicide are weak (becasue they are not)--I just never saw Tobias as the sort of person.

I actually never thought about the Rachel-turning-to-drug-use theory. I remember the conversation she had with Jake about how she loved the war and thrived on battle, but I didn't think she would throw herself off a building or smoke up just because she got bored with life. Remember, the war ended on Earth, but there was still a lot of fronts on other worlds that Rachel would have most likely signed up for, had she lived. And come on people, she can morph, life for her would never get boring.

I disagree with the whole idea of recruiting more soldiers, because that's basically what the whole David Trilogy was about. I mean, they didn't know David and they suffered as a result of circumstance and poor judgement. Had they had more time to watch David they wouldn't have chosen him. What made the Animorphs work was that they were connected to each other in some way--except for Tobias, and that was clearly stated in book twenty. Imagine trying to recruit five or six or twenty other kids and adults that you know nothing about--each of whom are likely to be greedy, violent, or worse, Controllers , And the whole, scouting-out-human-controllers-and-waiting-three-days theory is just ludicous, because they wouldn't have had nearly enough time to watch x-number of people for three days. Ax was right when he said that the Animorphs were a gureilla group, not meant to become a large army. Besides, I think if they were to recruit more people the Yeerks would become more suspicious and stop believing that their enemies were really Andalite bandits--becasue, really, would an Andalite, known for arrogance and pride when it comes to technology, be willing to give technology to a primitive speices? No, adding on more members--at least, in the beginning--would have exposed the Animorphs.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate