Author Topic: Excess mass in Z-space  (Read 1477 times)

Offline abcxyz1020

Excess mass in Z-space
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:11:29 AM »
This may be addressed in previous threads, but after browsing the forum for a while, I haven't found it.

Because suspending belief is a prerequisite for reading sci-fi/fantasy fiction, I try not to question any of the alien technologies or physical phenomena in the Animorphs universe.  However, I've always wondered something, and I'm curious if anyone here has any theories.  I'm on board with the explanation that, when morphing something small, one's excess mass is temporarily transferred to Z-space.  I can even see that this may be part of the reason for the two-hour limit - perhaps after that much time, matter floating freely in the void will decay, and will be irretrievable.  However, where does the extra mass come from when morphing something larger than oneself?

warren_bearclaw

Re: Excess mass in Z-space
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
From unfortunate nothlits....  :P

Seriously though, I think there's a thread that should answer your questions (and more) somewhere on RAF, but I can't find it right now. It is a really logical discussion about the science behind morphing technology... I can't seem to find it right now, though.

Offline songofsuzanna

• Haunting the Sacristy; a blog
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »
My best guess is that as the person morphing is taking on the DNA of another animal, and becoming that animal, cells multiply and form the new flesh.  It's like a plant growing at super speed.
Please click! --- >  

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory." -- Steven Wright

"Oat-FREAKING-Meal!" -- Marco

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
My best guess is that as the person morphing is taking on the DNA of another animal, and becoming that animal, cells multiply and form the new flesh.  It's like a plant growing at super speed.

That would make sense, if the morphing technology can get rid of the bodies original cells when they morph something small (by sending them into Z-space) then it could easily get rid of extra mass the same way when going from something large to human. If the mass decays (like the OP suggested) then it makes since that this newly created extra mass would vanish.

The 'Vanishing Mass theory' presents a problem though; if the problem is with mass disintegrating, then how come the morpher can't continue to morph animals smaller than the form it is now trapped in? Or for that matter, forms of an equal mass?
Meh.

Offline abcxyz1020

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
That does make sense about the morphing technology causing cells to multiply.  While the whole "more mass/less mass" thing stretches the law of conservation of mass, Zero-space pretty much turns all the laws of physics on their heads, so it's plausible.
As for the idea of decaying mass, I think the idea may still have merit.  I think that the "core" of the morphing technology is embedded in a person's original form.  When they morph, a small part of their original form remains, to anchor them to their mass (like a valet ticket), but only enough to allow them to retrieve their mass and return to their form.  This would explain why a person cannot morph directly from one morph to another, and why they cannot acquire while in morph.  If the "Vanishing Mass Theory" (I like the term, The Missing Animorph ;) ) holds, then when the two hours are up and the mass in zero-space disintegrates, the core of the technology, as well as all acquired DNA, is gone.  Therefore, a nothlit trapped in a form of greater mass than their own body still cannot demorph.  It would have been interesting to see if Tobias was still able to morph Dude after regaining his morphing ability (if he did try at some point, I have forgotten).  I would guess that he would not be able to, because that DNA was still stored with his human mass when he was trapped as a hawk.

Offline paul1991

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »
I don't think that Tobias was able to morph any creatures he aquired "before".

When The Elimist first gives Tobias the power, Tobias has to aquire the racoon that is trying to eat him. He does not morph anything else.
Coupled with the fact that he had to go back in time to aquire his human DNA, I think it means that hawk became his "true" form, as though he were a hawk that could morph, not a human.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
I believe there is another thread on this topic somewhere. One theory is that Z-Space actually contains potential mass, which morphers can utilise when morphing creatures larger than their natural form.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
I believe there is another thread on this topic somewhere. One theory is that Z-Space actually contains potential mass, which morphers can utilise when morphing creatures larger than their natural form.

That theory does not make sense though, Ax himself says that their is nothing in Z-space; that it is empty and not really anywhere. That is why it is called ZERO space. Marco's father says the same general thing in one of the books.

I thought extensively about the morphing technology for awhile and am going to present my own thesis VERY soon.
Meh.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
It's the unlucky ex-morphers who decided to morph very tiny things and got stuck. That's what Andalites do instead of the Death Penalty .... the use them for better purposes!

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
We had other theories but I can't recall what they were right now. Without basic knowledge of technology several centuries ahead of our own, it's impossible to really know for sure anyway.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!