Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222153 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #5730 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
I might be a bit of a strange case in this scenario. Multam Deos (Yes I'm keeping the Latin bad for a reason but it's a stupid reason XD), the canon that meets this kind of description for me, was deliberately designed as a Tesuka-style "Star System." That is, the fact that there is more than one universe where completely different things happened is taken for granted as an assumption of that world. The only uniting factors are the basic associations between the characters we made and certain symbols and ideas. There was definitely an overarching plot originally, but even this was designed in such a fashion that anyone else could be brought up to speed rather quickly, and was assumed to have reached the core multiverse from Earth by the same unique means as the others. Really it'd probably take longer to "explain" any of the core characters and their associations than the plot. :P

I'd honestly be happy to share it with someone in its entirety in a way that allows them to utilize the canon for their own stories, and have been thinking about a means to do so that would be respectful to the original players and how it was created. Which is itself sticky, because we never once stated we were Roleplaying at all during the course of the game, and that was one of its central conceits. But anyway...

All of this goes to show how easy it is to come at something with different intentions than one another. And that opening your Heart to another via this method, Roleplaying, can be stupidly awkward and can step on people's toes. But I still did it, and I think that we all potentially are still able to as well. It's no fun to play if you're afraid of getting bruised every time you reach out your hand, or if you think that somebody won't "get" the depth and complexity of the thing that you've created. The GESB exists to put everyone on a level playing field with that sort of thing.

With that said, Terenia and Myitt..The GESB also exists to put everyone else in on some of the "inside jokes" and associations from your universe. I'm interested in what Jorek's problem is precisely because it clearly comes from somewhere else and is interesting as hell! XD I want to play with it, see what happens when another, different mind enters the house of cards and messes with it.  (William's got the same appeal in his own right...) So...let us see some of the unique cards you can play, yeah? :] I think that's going pretty interestingly so far. XD
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:46:43 AM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5731 on: May 16, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
Jessi, Tara, if you do wind up putting together a 'brief history and summary of the characters,' I'd love to see it. I'm a few years behind the curve at this point, and it's still a pipe dream of mine to actually be able to RP with y'all at some point. As a matter of curiosity... how in the world do you find the time? Also, tell Marie that I say hi, and I miss her terribly :P

In the short term, the timeline I posted a few pages ago is a good bare-bones outline. I can work on typing something more indepth up, if there's interest. It would, most likely, be a very general plot arc, rather than going into each individual character's story. But even that is a bit tangled, since there are around 90 characters interacting at any given time. Hmmm...might be a fun challenge, though! Let me ruminate and see what I can come up with. :D It would make a badass fanfic, for sure, but I'd feel weird writing out things for characters that weren't 'mine'.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
  • I love aliens too much...
« Reply #5732 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
Jessi, Tara, if you do wind up putting together a 'brief history and summary of the characters,' I'd love to see it. I'm a few years behind the curve at this point, and it's still a pipe dream of mine to actually be able to RP with y'all at some point. As a matter of curiosity... how in the world do you find the time? Also, tell Marie that I say hi, and I miss her terribly :P

In the short term, the timeline I posted a few pages ago is a good bare-bones outline. I can work on typing something more indepth up, if there's interest. It would, most likely, be a very general plot arc, rather than going into each individual character's story. But even that is a bit tangled, since there are around 90 characters interacting at any given time. Hmmm...might be a fun challenge, though! Let me ruminate and see what I can come up with. :D It would make a badass fanfic, for sure, but I'd feel weird writing out things for characters that weren't 'mine'.
That'd be amazing!  You could say it's a group effort of a fanfic and credit everyone equally.  :)

And don't worry, you haven't pushed me away.  xD

Tara, do you mind if I have it that my Yeerk–Indar–is from another reality but has worked with Myitt before, something that allowed him to gain her trust (and vice-versa)?

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5733 on: May 16, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
Hey Luke - sorry this is so short - thanks for explaining, and no hard feelings! I'm sorry if we hurt your feelings too. Just wanted us all to be clear all around.

Forlin - I don't mind, but keep in mind that Myitt doesn't trust *anyone* very easily; can you tell me more about what you had in mind, as far as working with Myitt before?

<3 to all :)

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
« Reply #5734 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
Myitt - I have no clue.  D:  Fresh out of ideas.  Maybe we could discuss some ideas over IM?

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5735 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:01 AM »
Actually, I'm gonna rescind part of what I said.  I'm not sorry that I stood up and said my piece.  For far too long I've been made to feel guilty about standing up for myself in just about every facet of my life, and often punished for it when I do so.  I was not being unreasonable and I had every right to stand up for the integrity of my character who has just as much value in this world (and more value to me personally) as anyone else's heart-felt literary construct.

That being said, I stand by everything else I said in that last post.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5736 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Actually, I'm gonna rescind part of what I said.  I'm not sorry that I stood up and said my piece.  For far too long I've been made to feel guilty about standing up for myself in just about every facet of my life, and often punished for it when I do so.  I was not being unreasonable and I had every right to stand up for the integrity of my character who has just as much value in this world (and more value to me personally) as anyone else's heart-felt literary construct.

That being said, I stand by everything else I said in that last post.

You should stand up for yourself! I'm glad you did.

Just know there was no intention to harm you, because you're my friend, and you're awesome :)

That's all.

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
« Reply #5737 on: May 18, 2017, 12:04:01 AM »
I'm glad you stood up for yourself, Luke!  ^_^

Sorry I haven't posted!  I'm not sure what to post yet. ^^;

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5738 on: May 19, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »
Working up to a post tonight. :)

Just FYI, Tara and I will both be out of town tomorrow and Sunday. Be back in the saddle on Monday!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5739 on: May 21, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
Posted. Slowly. Sorry. Weird week.

Luke, I, for one, can absolutely relate to where you were coming from. For me, at least, there was a bit of a feeling of... abandonment? Betrayal? Something like that, back when they started the Rebellion. Like, the had been all of our playground, but then they decided that they had better playgrounds, and it felt like we no longer mattered quite as much-- and then to have Ossanlin essentially ignored when you tried to move in on that world would be a bit of a gut-wrenching back and forth.

Tara, Jessi, I also realize that that's not anything you would do intentionally, so, y'know, no worries there. For what it's worth, I've come to really respect and love the stories coming out of the Rebellion ^_^

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Leona

« Reply #5740 on: May 21, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »
I'm really sorry to do this, but I'm just having a really hard time keeping my muse going for this RP. I'm use to more structured plot type RPs and I'm just feeling a little lost and out of place in this one. I'm really sorry but I'm not sure when/if I'll feel up to posting in this one again. Again so sorry, I hate doing this.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5741 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
Aw man...I'm so sorry the rebellion stuff has made people feel left out! Scott, you know that we never meant to make you or anyone else feel bad.

I guess we just got caught up in this series of Google Docs and I, for one, found it useful to try and expand my own characters' backgrounds and interactions with one another. The fact that your characters were also involved just kind of made it natural to explore those plot points with or without you guys - and we probably should have included you and Luke.

Sorry >.< Argh. Again, no harm meant. On the plus side, I know have a *much* better feel for Myitt's past, and her brothers' relationships, and a whole slew of other rebel members...some of whom I hope we'll get to meet here in the GESB :)

And Leona - I'm sorry to see you go, but we'll be here if you want to jump back in!!

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
« Reply #5742 on: May 22, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »
Maybe sharing an update on things, some cliffnotes or something, would help!

Me, I'm gonna have to go a little inactive cuz a game I was waiting on got released and I'm pretty much squeeing over that for a while XD

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5743 on: May 22, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
I know how that goes, Forlin.  In the middle of June, I'll probably be blipping off/being slower than usual because Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood is releasing and I'm super excited for it.  Increase in level cap, new story, new missions, and two jobs that were highly in demand by pretty much the entire playerbase...Red Mage, and Samurai.  I'm so gonna rock Samurai...but not until I complete the new content on Paladin.  :p
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5744 on: May 22, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
Leona, if it helps, my intention, with Salem's little 'recruitment drive,' is to push some characters into a plot-driven offshoot of this RP that may or may not wind up lasting a while-- you could easily jump on board. If you'd like some of the details of what I'm thinking, I'd gladly PM you ^_^ If it doesn't help, it has been a pleasure RPing with you, and, as Tara said, we're here if you get the itch to jump in again ^_^

Tara-- don't feel bad. It's not my intention to make you feel bad. I'm just saying, there was a bit of Rebellion jealousy for me early on. I mean, even then, I understood intellectually that it was a fun exercise in character development. These days, I really just find the peripheral bits of Rebellion stuff I get to see fascinating. I know I don't have the time to keep up with it properly, but it's still a lot of fun to see what comes of it ^_^

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story