Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222121 times)

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
  • I love aliens too much...
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #5715 on: May 14, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
Ahhh...I've removed the post for now.  I wish I could have him be a part of that one, though.  -shrugs and frowns-

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5716 on: May 14, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
Whew, missed a couple posts today. I'll try to catch up soon, but I had a crazy busy day at work and I kinda just wanna turn my brain off for a little bit :P

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5717 on: May 14, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
Or at least the last half hour of this day :P

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5718 on: May 14, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
Not my best post, but apparently there's not that much more for me to say.  :P

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5719 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Ahhh...I've removed the post for now.  I wish I could have him be a part of that one, though.  -shrugs and frowns-

Forlin, the presence of alternate realities make it incredibly possible to have your character be a part of the Rebellion...but odds are it will always be a slightly different universe (just for ease of play).

Definitely don't eliminate the character idea, just be prepared for other rebel characters to be a bit confused when they meet them, unless you want to establish a previous relationship with them (in which case, feel free to message either Myitt or myself!). Besides, I'm very interested in having a Taxxon Controller around! I think that could make for some interesting banter.

For reference, the only identifiable rebel characters currently around are Myitt, who is in the shipyard, and Terenia, who is locked on her ship somewhere (so you won't even run into her).

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5720 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
Listen Forlin, if you want to get to know the backstory, then like Terenia said - by all means, please PM me or her! We'd love to get you up to speed, but it's honestly a LOT of back reading, like...decades worth. So it's easier to insert yourself into an alternate version of the rebellion, even one where you might recognize people like Myitt or Terenia, but they might not know you or have only heard of you.

Again, unless you want to establish their mutual backstory off-screen!

Please bring your character back? :3

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5721 on: May 15, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
Don't be discouraged by that, Forlin.  Tara and Jessie are in their own little world...literally.  Tara and I have been friends for about 15 years and they tried to get me involved with their rebellion with Ossanlin and it just didn't work.  I know that our canon says that Ossanlin works closely with the rebels, but I honestly have no idea what's going on with the rebellion as a person.  I mean...they RP without everyone else with that rebellion, so things happen that...how can I put this? 

...There was a character of Jessie's who was under Ossanlin's command and he took some failsafe safety precautions to make sure she was both safe and would also not be a threat (because she was an embittered andalite and he was stationing her with the rebellion)...but all of those precautions were basically mod-ignored and a bunch of **** went down around her that couldn't have if Ossanlin's IC actions had been respected as real within their RP.  So I was basically forced into having Ossanlin **** up on his end (which is something that would not have happened in this situation) in order to make things fit with their private RP.  That's when I realized that I'd never actually be able to be a true part of their rebellion 'verse. 

So I pretty much treat Efaen (Jessie's character) and all the things that happened with and around her in their rebellion as an Alternate Universe that didn't actually happen so that I could preserve Ossanlin's integrity as a character.  As far as I'm concerned, Ossanlin didn't even know about Efaen until Myitt asked him for a favor to come pick up their "rogue" andalite member because they didn't want to deal with her anymore.  It's really the only way to reconcile Ossanlin with Efaen that's acceptable to me.

Nothing against Tara and Jessie, they're both my friends, but it's too involved just between the two of them for any more players to really be successfully integrated...so please don't take it personally.  It's best to just stay away from it, that's what I do.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:23:42 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5722 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »
Wow, Luke...I had no idea we'd caused so much heartache on your end. Obviously we were unintentionally leaving you out!

It's just the nature of our rps, being...between me, Jessi, and Marie.

But if you want to join us at any point, I'd be glad to share the latest Google Docs with you :)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5723 on: May 15, 2017, 03:52:29 AM »
~Ossanlin~

Ossanlin raises an eyebrow, taking a step forward, holding the injector out for Efaen to see more clearly.  <Inside this injector is a saline solution cradling a biomedic chip.  The chip immediately begins to adapt to biological material around it, so as soon as it contacts your biological matter, it will adapt itself to your DNA and will be assimilated into your body.  It will migrate to a safe location and implant, you will feel no pain or discomfort aside from the original puncture of the injector.  Since it is biotechnology, it will not interfere with any of your morphs and will remain functional when you revert.>

He pauses, allowing this to sink in.  <The chip serves two functions...first off, I will be able to send a wideband transponder signal from anywhere in the galaxy...when it reaches you, the chip will respond by sending a dedicated, encrypted z-space signal back to my communicator detailing your current location and medical condition.  This means that I will be able to track you no matter where you are.  Since it is a z-space signal, it cannot be dampened or insulated against.>

Ossanlin pauses for another moment before continuing.  <The second function is to give you access to Halcyon...I will go into further detail once the chip has been injected.>

~Ossanlin~

<I hope that it does not come to that.>  Ossanlin continues to watch Efaen with his main eyes.  <You will still be under the guidance of our military.  You will maintain the rank of Warrior.  You are considered an agent stationed with the rebels.  Reven's orders will be followed unless you expressly and without a doubt detect that those orders would be counter-productive to our cause, that cause being the eradication of the Empire, would harm the Andalites in a significant manner, or would countermand orders you have received from me.  Do what you can to maintain your position, we have never had an agent inside the rebellion...so it is imperative that you attempt to remain with them.>

<You WILL contact me regularly.  You will send transmissions not more than two standard weeks apart.  If Reven is going to deploy you on a mission that will require transponder silence for a longer period of time, you will contact me beforehand whereupon I will be given a full briefing of the mission details.  The orders I give supercede any orders you might receive from Reven or anyone else inside the rebellion.  You will report to me and will not attempt to independently contact any other individual unless it is part of the mission, or involved in a mission assigned by Reven.  I assume you understand what I mean.  This assignment is a White Operation...informa tion is on a need-to-know basis.>

Note the bold sentences.  I mentioned this when things went down as well, but maybe you guys have forgotten.  The attack on the pool could've happened, but the rest (the mind-wipe and ESPECIALLY the "re-education"), would NOT have been possible.    The VERY FIRST time Efaen missed a check-in, Ossanlin would've been up in arms contacting the rebellion to figure out what was going on and why Efaen had not contacted him...he would've also demanded to talk to Efaen and not permitting that, he would've been on the next Z-Space wave to the rebel base to sort things out.  Once he'd found out about Efaen's deed, he'd have extracted her immediately from Rebellion demesnes. 

Yet your RP from the barium attack to the time you guys had me pick her up represents MONTHS of time passed.  Thus the only way I could reconcile that was to have Ossanlin stupidly forget about Efaen, and for months no less.  I assure you guys that that would not have happened.  Ossanlin's not a flake.

But that's okay, you guys do you, I'd ask and expect nothing else.  I treat the pre-mind-wipe portion of Efaen's Ossanlin history as AU that didn't ever happen, much as you guys treat Rogue Element as AU that didn't ever happen.  And I appreciate the offer, Tara...but I don't think it'll work any better now than it did then.

And also, sorry if this is coming off as ****y, but it's something that I've never really stood up about (except for when it happened in the first place) and it's always pissed me off and I'm in kind of a depressed, ****y mood on top of it all.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:10:41 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
  • I love aliens too much...
« Reply #5724 on: May 15, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Sorry about getting so discouraged, it's just that I felt kinda...left out.  :C  It was kinda a kneejerk reaction from when I've been in forum RPs and they've been really cliquey, not that you'd intentionally do that.

If we could have it that Tarrit and Indar worked with Myitt in something before, that could work; I could still have them being from another reality.  My plan is for Indar to eventually end up in Forlin, helping him to retrieve his memories.  Maybe we could do some backstory RPing too of how they met, if that is okay with you?

I'd also really love to learn the backstory of the rebellion too, so if you could send me that history and Google Doc I'll check it out regardless!  It would be really exciting!

Might have it that Forlin's from Myitt's and Terenia's 'verse, and since he hasn't been involved with them, he's clueless about the Rebellion, but when he joins up with Indar, Indar agrees that when they return they should try and return to Forlin's 'verse for Forlin's sake, so he ends up part of the Rebellion too, and we can keep in the loop where we need to.  ^.^

And :( Luke...that sounds like a lot of miscommunication happened between RPers.  I'm sure they'd be willing to keep you updated throughout things.  I wish I coulda been there when Rogue Element was running to join that, too.  It sounds like it was such a great RP.  D:

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5725 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
It's interesting to know that...all of this went down during that period in 2011-13 and we were more or less completely unaware of it. :[ We went right on like nothing had happened because, as far as we could tell, nothing had happened. I'm so sorry, Luke. :(

It's worth noting that I've only made one deliberate inroad into that world and it's deliberately vague and dreamlike, because these are indeed the associations that crop up around encounters with Character Mar and the sort of creature he is outside the Bar (The Ellimist, Crayak, and that thing from Book #41).  That way, it comes up when it's needed (i.e when Mar himself is around) but doesn't interfere logically with any other character. Basically, Mar managed to trick Myitt out of "her soul," and in this particular canon Myitt is/was "Precious." (Which oddly enough works out bizarrely well so far as Character Mar and even the real Mar goes, because the person who really holds that title creates characters about as abrasive as Myitt. Maybe he has a type when it comes to ladies...?)

Everyone else I play either is far away enough from the Rebellion that their antics could conceivably have happened without repercussion (Keshin and Joanne) or is from a different dimension entirely. It's...sticky involving yourself in someone else's RP intimacy, in my opinion. As stupid as it sounds, the game can become occasionally very intense, and you can wound someone without knowing it. :/

Still, we all keep coming back, for whatever it fulfills...

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5726 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56:12 PM »
Luke - did you want us to privately inform you of what we were up to, in our own, private rps, over the last six years? Because...we just didn't see you online or include you..since they became *our* private rps, secondary to the GESB. Like...it's annoying to feel like Ossanlin would have stepped in, I get that, but again...we weren't gonna wait for you to show up.

It sucks you're pissed but it's like me being angry if I stepped into your story with Salem and Rathien, then bowed out and you guys continued, and then I got pissed off because like, Myitt *should have been there*.

If Efaen should have checked with you every 2 weeks, then we should have been better about telling you where the story was going, but again you weren't a constant presence to allow us to bring you back into the fold. It isn't fair to make us feel like we should have held off on our own stories just to search for you and get some damn permission.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:02:45 PM by Myitt »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5727 on: May 15, 2017, 10:59:59 PM »
I'm sorry if we upset you, Luke. It certainly wasn't ever the intent. I don't want to argue semantics, so I'll just say that from my vantage point the moment at which our characters left the GESB they essentially left the 'bubble' of the GESB universe. When Tara, Marie, and I decided to start a Rebellion RP, it was with the mutual understanding between us that while the events in the GESB had absolutely happened, they were from a different rp and could be integrated into this new rp as we saw fit.

The Rebellion rp has its roots in Tara's long history of Myitt, Reven, and Corliss, but it never existed as a fully-fledged rp until those characters left the GESB six years ago. I've always viewed it as entirely separate from the GESB, and at the time we had no idea it would become as large or as involved as it has. It was essentially a character study that became a very, very deep rabbit hole.

Because of that, adjustments did need to be made. For example, RP time in the Rebellion rp moves MUCH faster than in the GESB, since we do it in Google Docs and write much faster with three people than with the larger number of players here. As the person who plays Efaen, I'd have to be messaging you almost constantly to keep up with the two-week requirement that's totally reasonable in the GESB-verse. (That said, I've barely used Efaen since that entire incident.)

That's all I'll say on that. Again, I'm truly sorry if we upset you, Luke. It was never the intent. We simply viewed the Rebellion rp as an opportunity to further investigate characters we'd grown to love through the GESB once they left the bar.

Forlin: There is no intention of cliquey-ness, though I totally understand if that's how it comes off (and apologize). A lot of us have been rping in the GESB for a long time (some much longer than I have), and Tara and I (and Marie, who isn't here atm) have spent massive quantities of time writing together and developing these characters (that's one reason I brought William in...he's not from the rebellion universe at all). That said, we welcome anyone who wants to be a part of things.

I like your idea of Forlin being from Myitt and Terenia's verse and not knowing about the Rebellion. That's essentially what happened to Terenia. She was from the same 'verse (or close enough) and discovered the rebellion through the bar, by meeting Myitt and her brother, Corliss.

Same thing with Tarrit and Indar having worked with Myitt before. That could definitely work, with some backstorying. I'll leave that for you and Tara to figure out. :)

Annnnd as for the backstory/Google Docs, I'm happy to share them with you, but I'll warn you...there are several hundred and they amount to literally millions of words (we once catalogued it to be the entire length of the Harry Potter series, Hunger Games series, Lord of the Rings series, Narnia series, and Twilight series combined...and that was three years ago). It'd likely be easier for me to provide you with a brief history and an explanation of the characters, and then you can ask questions or I can share the most relevant docs. That way I won't be spamming your inbox with hundreds of documents!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:04:56 PM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5728 on: May 16, 2017, 02:26:59 AM »
As I said, Tara, Jessi...you guys do you.  That wasn't meant to be angry or passive-aggressive.  There are times when I curse the lack of inflection that comes with corresponding in text.  I can see how that could be perceived as a negative statement.  I was simply saying that you guys have your thing and you do it and I don't expect anything else, and wouldn't ask you to change for me or for anyone else.  I'm sorry that I stood up and said my piece...this is exactly why I've avoided saying anything about it for this long, because I was afraid of hurting feelings.  But since I did take the plunge, I thought it best to back up where I was coming from with actual quotes/events that happened in the GESB.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected continuity between two completely separate RP's.  At the point where you tried to bring me into the Rebellion RP fold, it was already too late.  Maybe you forgot Tara, but you did text me as Myitt texting Ossanlin about coming to get Efaen.  But at that point, if the GESB events had truly happened in the rebellion RP, things never would've gotten as far as they already had with Efaen.  She would arguably be a completely different person had Ossanlin's actions been respected.  If you never meant for the Rebellion RP and the GESB to be interchangeable, then I apologize for thinking that's what you wanted.  If, indeed, the rebellion characters are AU in the rebellion RP as opposed to the GESB here, then I've nothing to complain about.  It was already too late for Ossanlin to join your RP because of what happened around Efaen, but if the Efaen that comes back to the GESB (if she comes back), is not THAT Efaen, then there's no issue. 

It also wouldn't be an issue with my scenario where all pre-incident Efaen-Ossanlin interaction is AU, with reality established as Ossanlin being called in by Myitt as a favor to take care of the Rebellion's Efaen-problem with no prior interaction having occurred between Ossanlin and Efaen.  For the sake of completion, it also would not have been an issue if nothing out of the ordinary had happened around Efaen while she was with the rebellion...the two-week reports could've been ret-conned and in fact, not even specified...just accepted that they were standard reports...you wouldn't have had to actually talk to me every two weeks.

Like I said, I treat everything surrounding Efaen-Ossanlin pre-Rebellion as AU that didn't actually happen.  He never placed Efaen with the rebellion and, in fact, knows nothing about Efaen pre-Rebel-RP.  If Myitt did indeed ask Ossanlin for a favor to retrieve this unmanageable Andalite, then everything post-incident can still be held as canon.  Ossanlin would be absolved of any responsibility, and Efaen wouldn't have had anyone to report to (unless Jessi wanted her to), which solves all the issues for everyone as far as I'm concerned.

Like I mentioned above, Jessi...if the characters from the two RP's are not meant to be interchangeable or "occur in different bubbles" to paraphrase your own words, then I've no qualms and I'm sorry for the ruckus.  If what happens in you guys' private rebel RP has no bearing on the characters in the GESB here...then I've been misunderstanding this whole time and have made a bit of a fool of myself.  I'm also fine with the solution I developed for myself in which Ossanlin and Efaen had no interactions before the events of the Rebellion RP, but Ossanlin still took Efaen away from the Rebellion as a favor to Myitt.  This would preserve the happenings of the Rebellion RP whilst allowing Ossanlin and Efaen to have an existing acquaintance.  The only thing that would have to change in the backstory (and it would only have to change if it bothered you, Jessi), is the manner in which Efaen ended up with the Rebellion...because as far as Ossanlin is concerned, Efaen was never under his charge before the Rebel RP, he's never met her before picking her up from the rebels, and he certainly did not station her with the rebellion.  That or the completely separate RP's puts paid to my complaint, either way.

It's okay, Forlin.  I just warn people away from trying to inveigle themselves with the private rebellion RP because I know it doesn't work well or at all...I'm speaking from experience.  I know how they feel about that RP...it's their baby, much as the Andalite Homeworld is mine...as much as it can be.  Rogue Element was kinda my baby too, I just try not to think too much about what could've been with that.  That being said, theirs is much more intimate than mine.  The Homeworld I've developed has room for tons of different people that don't necessarily know or affect existing characters.  Theirs is a situation where everyone knows everyone else and have interacted with each other through the years.  Trying to throw a new character into that environment is like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.  There's just no room...even if they themselves want to make room for another to join their RP, it doesn't really work at all.  It's just the nature of the beast they've birthed...it has a life and a mind of its own, much the way Ossanlin does.

It's fine, Kells, but thank you.  It's nice to finally get it off my chest.  And it may well have been misunderstanding about the RP's being linked together when they aren't supposed to be at all.  What you're describing is exactly why I've never pinned down just exactly how Ossanlin has worked or works with the Rebellion.  It's left vague on purpose.

I think I responded to everyone...if I missed anyone, I'm sorry.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5729 on: May 16, 2017, 09:03:39 AM »
Yeah, Forlin, this discussion probably gives you a good idea of why we reacted the way we did. The Rebellion is... rather large, and in many ways, incredibly intimate between its three players. There is a gargantuan amount of mental and emotional energy tied up in it at this point. And on top of that, as Jessi pointed out, it evolves quickly and constantly. Trying to jump into it with the information you had is roughly equivalent to trying to dive into an Animorphs RP without having read a single book. And a new book comes out every week. And the writers and readers know the characters better than they know most real people. Sticky, as Shen put it.

All of us, I believe, will gladly share the world we've built together-- the sort of patchwork universe many of our characters inhabit-- and you're absolutely welcome ^_^ The more the merrier, honestly-- more minds and more creativity coming into the fold is always fun. Just... be aware that it can be a deep dive.

Luke-- I long ago gave up on trying to keep track of the canonicity of the Rebellion. Even within the Rebellion RP, as near as I can tell, they run hypothetical scenarios and alternate timelines fairly regularly. As far as I'm concerned, literally everything relating to the Rebellion is AU. Also:  :hug:

Jessi, Tara, if you do wind up putting together a 'brief history and summary of the characters,' I'd love to see it. I'm a few years behind the curve at this point, and it's still a pipe dream of mine to actually be able to RP with y'all at some point. As a matter of curiosity... how in the world do you find the time? Also, tell Marie that I say hi, and I miss her terribly :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:12:16 AM by Aluminator (Kit) »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story