Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222288 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2040 on: April 24, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »
Don't be sorry, I was just making sure. :) We're trying to help, but it's frustrating sometimes when it seems as though the people you are trying to help aren't listening.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2041 on: April 24, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
If Illim and Derrel do actually take off for the rebel base, are we going to make a new thread and roleplay over there?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #2042 on: April 24, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Chad and Scinlao, was that the Skimmer you were trying to put a dent into?  How do you know the shields weren't automatically turned on when the hatch closed?  In which case, Scinlao's character would be fried.

Don't shield mainly cover an area around a ship?

And I wouldn't think shield would FRIE anything...just prevent it from damaging the ship. If it's moving very fast, like a torpedo or something, shields would kick in...I don't think an andalite tail blade would be that bad. If it was, the blade would shatter, but that's about it.

All I'm saying is, an Andalite blade hitting a blade ship hard enough to dent it is either going so fast it'll activate the shields, or so fast it'll destroy anything but a magical tail blade made of metal or whatever.

And yes, the shields activate around the ship, but I always imagined them as activating very close to the hull rather than several feet away.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #2043 on: April 24, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »
I see...I guess that makes sense...

Hey, every franchise slips up now and then! for instance, Star Trek screwed up on it's Can't Beam through Shields often enough that it became a regular fluke. This is just one of the first for RAF. :P

Post Merged: April 24, 2011, 11:29:46 PM
Small nitpick, Cobra:

I turned when the alien came yelling into the bar. As did John. " I've got a ship. 'You in a hurry? Follow me?" We head out the the doors at a quick walk and waited at the Traveler for the alien. When he followed we opened the hatch and went inside. We powered up the engines and weapon systems.

I don't know if Scinlao will care or not, but I know I would care if it were my character, so....you can't just say that Scinlao follows you. He has to do that of his own accord. I know it seems like the rational thing for his character to do, since he did just ask for help, but you're assuming that they made it from the bar to the ship without anything of importance happening in between. Maybe Scinlao's character changes his mind for some reason.

Bottom line: You cannot control another person's character under ANY circumstances.

No, I didn't care... ::) rofl
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:29:46 PM by RAFrukh »
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2044 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
I have an explanation for why my characters sometimes do things faster than other characters. They move at the speed of plot!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TravelingAtTheSpeedOfPlot

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2045 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
@Chad: I love it! My computers have calculated that to complete this mission will take approximately one episode.

Ok, just PM me if something comes with with Theta? On a few several other threads and watching everyone else's plots while Theta has nothing to do is tedious and depressing. And anyone can PM me...Chad, Mytt, Terenia...Ossanlin. ..whoever...:shrug:

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2046 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
I have an explanation for why my characters sometimes do things faster than other characters. They move at the speed of plot!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TravelingAtTheSpeedOfPlot

I don't think that you have ever said a more true statement.

Now that you know the cause, what's the cure? :P

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2047 on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
Maybe I'll read that page, and get an idea of how to restrain myself. And Rukh, I'll PM you when Oss isn't busy.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2048 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
Works for me. Whatever works for you people

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2049 on: April 26, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
I assume, Ryno, that you were addressing Mar. Tell me if I'm wrong. Huh...that ought to get interesting. Be careful of him---he can be a real jerk when he wants to be. XP Actually outside the Bar, he is 90% of the time. XD

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #2050 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Well I wanted to have one of my stronger characters, such as Okaru, to have a really wierd weakness. His is his yearning for knowledge so he would pretty much willing to take a beating to learn anything he can about Mar. This totally mind blowing discovery of a species, is...lol the best thing i can compare it to for you to get it, is this. Imagine Okaru as a very devoted hallucinagen user and got addicted right? He obviously will need his fix. And his fix is now dangling by Mars evil fingers! Mwuahaha!

Lol but no really Im trying to decide if Im quite dumb enough to let the original plan for Okaru continue on. Now that im watching pretty much...EVRYONE in the bar sooner or later watching the fight and talking about stepping in and helping lol. I probably will cuz itd be a challenge, trying to pull him outta that one, heck even with Diteca's additional power and strength!
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2051 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
Lol but no really Im trying to decide if Im quite dumb enough to let the original plan for Okaru continue on. Now that im watching pretty much...EVRYONE in the bar sooner or later watching the fight and talking about stepping in and helping lol. I probably will cuz itd be a challenge, trying to pull him outta that one, heck even with Diteca's additional power and strength!

Hey Goku, you know that you need to get a players permission for permanent damage on a character, right? So, like, if you tried to kill Ossanlin off, it would only happen if Luke told you it could. Which, frankly, is probably not going to happen. I know I wouldn't approve of anyone killing Terenia off.

Point being, that while a big epic battle between many of the bar players might occur, the only possible outcome is going to be a lot of damage with little reward. It's happened in the past, and it really ends up being kind of less awesome than you might anticipate it being. It might be better for Okaru as a character to work on the side of him that craves knowledge. That'd at least make him more compatible with the bar environment.

I don't want to ruin your fun or anything. If you want this battle to happen, go for it, but don't be surprised if you're disappointed by the turnout. :)

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #2052 on: April 26, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
Also I wanted to mention Ryno...I assume Okaru is trying to use deception and not actually telling Mar who hired him, but fabricating a story in hopes that he will be believed...or that Okaru himself was deceived about the person who contracted him.  Ossanlin may be willing to believe that deception if you're convincing enough, though he would be incredibly suspicious given what he knows and the fact that if any Andalite wished to reach him they would be able to do so rather easily unless they no longer have contact with the Homeworld.

My point is, I've been role-playing Ossanlin for about eleven years now, he is very developed and attached to me on rather a deep level.  I have written some of his backstory, and it's not cool for you to simply decide that my character has an uncle that no one knew about except his own father.  In essence you would be writing a backstory for my character who has been in existance since you were probably about 8 years old (I don't know how old you are but I'm assuming around 18, and you don't have to tell me how old you are, it doesn't really matter), but I think you get my point.  In order for this unknown uncle to exist, one set of Ossanlin's grandparents would've had to have been liars or at the least concealed his existence for some reason.  Also the interraction with Ossanlin's father would've changed his character and through parentage it would modify or affect Ossanlin's character as well.  That's just not cool.  This would be a HUGE plot element and behavioral modifier for my character, written by someone who knows almost nothing about him.  It would be like me saying that I'd seen Okaru's father die in a tragic car accident and that's why he became a swordsman, only imagine me saying that if you'd been playing and using Okaru for ten years.  If you're going to do something like this, you need to speak with the person whose character your story would be modifying before posting, and you haven't sent me a PM or said anything to me and I certainly haven't approved this.

If Okaru is simply using deception, that's cool, you can ignore this post.  If it wasn't your intention for Okaru to use deception, well you can either modify your posts or you can simply change your idea and go with the flow, with the line about father and uncle being pure fakery.  Up to you.

And if there is a battle, just a heads up, Ossanlin will not be dying in any way shape or form.  Battles can indeed be fun (I like to participate in one from time to time), but as English "Teach" said, they usually don't have much effect in the long-run.  Okay, end rant.  Thanks for listening.  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:42:06 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #2053 on: April 27, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
Ah, Josh/Bear.  You know, my character Myitt once had a desperate issue with oatmeal, during a very dark and desperate time in the rebellion.  Unfortunately, she's not around the bar right now to commiserate with Sapttus...but she would.

Trust me.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #2054 on: April 27, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »
I... didn't know that. So she'd found a cure? Hmmmm...

And btw,... where *is* Myitt? :huh: Obviously, she left, but... where?

Oh, and something I've been wanting to ask. Has Jasper and Sapttus' internal dialogue getting a bit too much? They talk a lot, I've realized.